Ultimate Ghouls N' Ghosts (Ghosts N' Goblins) Early Review

FurryCurry

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
From Play magazine at least... got the cover story too!

Score: 9.5

+ ] Visually stunning, amazing art and level design, vastly replayable, incredible soundtrack, new systems galore

- ] A few more levels and it's a perfect 10!

Not sure how "finishised" it really is though but it sure as hell looks good. I suggest picking up the mag for the whole article. Lots of artwork with it too.

[quote name='FurryCurry']From Play magazine at least... got the cover story too!

+ ] Visually stunning, amazing art and level design, vastly replayable, incredible soundtrack, new systems galore

Not sure how "finishised" it really is though but it sure as hell looks good. I suggest picking up the mag for the whole article. Lots of artwork with it too.[/quote]

I really wasn't interested in this game until I watched some video of it on Gamespot. Now I must have it.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Awesome. :D I can't wait to play it.[/quote]

[quote name='Taito']I'm playing a Famitsu demo of Ultra Ghosts n Goblins.. it looks amazingly good but the control is typically clunky like every other GnG game.. it's the kind of stiff control that makes you fall into pits accidentally.. also it's bloody difficult in Arcade Mode but a lot more manageable in Original mode (more health and lives). And it's pretty deep, with lots of armor and powerups (lots of powerups from past GnGs.. the whip and Samurai armor powerups are new to the series).. it almost reminds me of a pre-SotN Castlevania in a way.. which is just as well because this is this is the closest thing to a Castlevania game PSPs gonna get..

EDIT: As for my last post.. fuck modding, Devhook is The Truth..[/QUOTE]

A guy from Shoryuken.com

I wanna play the demo *cries*

[quote name='FurryCurry']From Play magazine at least... got the cover story too!

Not sure how "finishised" it really is though but it sure as hell looks good. I suggest picking up the mag for the whole article. Lots of artwork with it too.[/QUOTE]
Although I think PLay is the best videogame magazine out right now they tend to rate a little high for old school type games. Not saying the game won't be good but reading them as long as I have you tend to see 2D games get higher scores.

I played the demo of this and I can honestly say that if the game is as good as the demo, it easily deserves that score. I love the art and the game is so nostalgic and yet it stands upto anything today. The gameplay is solid and there seems to be multiple difficulty levels so new gamers will hopefully be able to enjoy it.

Read the mag yesterday. Was very glad to hear it but please recall Play seems to be all to happy to give great reviews to some titles that everyone else down plays and gives bad reviews to. Example is Death Jr.

[quote name='BREVITY']Read the mag yesterday. Was very glad to hear it but please recall Play seems to be all to happy to give great reviews to some titles that everyone else down plays and gives bad reviews to. Example is Death Jr.[/QUOTE]
Good, because I thought Death Jr was awesome as well. People complain too much.

[quote name='whoknows']Good, because I thought Death Jr was awesome as well. People complain too much.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Death Jr. was an awesome game. Play reviews are hands down the best in the business if you ask me. This is a must have on day one game for me. :D

[quote name='whoknows']Good, because I thought Death Jr was awesome as well. People complain too much.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. I love Play. They seem to be the only ones still having fun playing games anymore. Every other mag seems to be all to eager to rip a game apart for the most nit picky things.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Yep, Death Jr. was an awesome game. Play reviews are hands down the best in the business if you ask me. This is a must have on day one game for me. :D[/QUOTE]Me four, because I liked Death Jr. also.

Although with Play, I really liked them when they first started, but I haven't liked them as much as I use to. They're still better than most magazines out there.

I actually hated Death Jr. I dunno, it just felt crappy to me. I have to agree with one CAG's description: "A poor man's Psychonauts".

Play, huh? I've never even heard of that mag! Maybe I'll check it out.....

[quote name='ananag112']I played the demo of this and I can honestly say that if the game is as good as the demo, it easily deserves that score. I love the art and the game is so nostalgic and yet it stands upto anything today. The gameplay is solid and there seems to be multiple difficulty levels so new gamers will hopefully be able to enjoy it.[/quote]

OK I must know. Where can I find this demo....I need it.

Play is an awesome magazine, really written for and by enthusiasts. Same people who ran Diehard GameFan back in the '90s. Plus, they virtually ignore all sports games! I wish Ultimate Ghouls N Ghosts was coming to the Wii or PS2, but I may have to figure out a way to round up some money for a PSP if it turns out to be this good.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Yep, Death Jr. was an awesome game. Play reviews are hands down the best in the business if you ask me. This is a must have on day one game for me. :D[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't use the term "awesome", more like; "decent, but has a great deal of problems".

Play's a "h@rdk0r3" mag, as in the type of mag that shits on the popular games and often inflates the scores of "sleeper" titles. If it were a person, it would be the dweeby emo kid that hates all the popular people & watches far too much anime.

bread's done
Back