UMD is dead, Blu Ray is next

fenderhutz

CAGiversary!
Sony is reportedly launching a movie download service for its PSP which could rival Apple's iTunes store.

Death to UMD, I give Blu-Ray one year and I bet you will still see only Sony film releases on it.

Why was the PS1 and PS2 successful, it used a standard format. Why is PSP failing, it doesn't use one. Every time Sony make a device that uses a proprietary medium it fails.

[quote name='fenderhutz']Sony is reportedly launching a movie download service for its PSP which could rival Apple's iTunes store.

Death to UMD, I give Blu-Ray one year and I bet you will still see only Sony film releases on it.

Why was the PS1 and PS2 successful, it used a standard format. Why is PSP failing, it doesn't use one. Every time Sony make a device that uses a proprietary medium it fails.[/QUOTE]Blu-ray already has more production company support (no Disney or Columbia on HD-DVD) support than HD-DVD. Also, WAY more electronics giants are supporting blu-ray. Having Disney alone is huge.

UMD had a death because it was ONLY being used on PSP, and didn't get the support blu-ray is getting. Sony's problem in the past was getting support, and they already did. Plus, there are more PS3 consoles than HD-DVD players sold, so that already gives blu-ray an advantage.

[quote name='The Mana Knight'] Plus, there are more PS3 consoles than HD-DVD players sold, so that already gives blu-ray an advantage.[/QUOTE]

Now that there, you pulled that right out of your ass.

[quote name='fenderhutz']Why was the PS1 and PS2 successful, it used a standard format. Why is PSP failing, it doesn't use one. Every time Sony make a device that uses a proprietary medium it fails.[/QUOTE]

Proprietary formats on portables are kind of necessary. You didn't see anyone complaining about game boy/gbc/gba cartridges or ds cards. UMD games aren't going anywhere. The fact that UMD movies are dead doesnt mean anything, I've watched hours of movies/tv shows on my psp but the only UMD movie I have is the one that came with it. Why would you buy the UMD when u can just put your dvd on your mem card?

The reason the psp isnt doing as well as ds is simply the games.

[quote name='fenderhutz']Why was the PS1 and PS2 successful, it used a standard format. Why is PSP failing, it doesn't use one. Every time Sony make a device that uses a proprietary medium it fails.[/quote]

Well the PS3 does support proprietary formats as well as blu-ray unlike the psp which only supported umd

Imagine that... Another totally unfounded anti Sony claim made by some tool.

First, your link has nothing to do with your title. Secondly, while movie studios have been leaving UMD, they've been going to Blu-Ray.

Thirdly... well, you're just stupid.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ. If you can turn "Sony offering movie download service" into "UMD is dead, Blu Ray is next," I think you ought to file a job application with FOX News. You'd fit in like fuckin' famous there.

Seriously, we have all known UMD is dead *as a movie format* for several months (or longer) by now. Where's the goddamned news here? Oh, Blu Ray? That must be it. But, it isn't mentioned in the article? Hmm. I see.

Your framing of this article, as evidenced in the topic title, shows that you just want to stir the pot. I made a post elsewhere about how people should be grateful we have the mods we do, and that I'm not in control of who gets banned. This thread is evidence of why you should be grateful.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Having Disney alone is huge.[/QUOTE]

The two movie studios that decide the next-gen format wars? Disney and Vivid Video. :lol:

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Blu-ray already has more production company support (no Disney or Columbia on HD-DVD) support than HD-DVD. Also, WAY more electronics giants are supporting blu-ray. Having Disney alone is huge.

UMD had a death because it was ONLY being used on PSP, and didn't get the support blu-ray is getting. Sony's problem in the past was getting support, and they already did. Plus, there are more PS3 consoles than HD-DVD players sold, so that already gives blu-ray an advantage.[/QUOTE]

More studio format at the moment is meaningless. HD is killing BR in all areas. Including standalone unit sales, movies in B&M stores and online. There are many talks that BR only studios will become neutral or switch camps (Lions Gate for example).

Having Disney is NOT huge when they don't release any decent titles in their catalog, and the cheapest Blu Ray player is still $800 (PS3 does not count as its near impossible to find. But if you want to count it, we can include the $200 360 HD player). Remember when Disney and Fox supported Divx and said DVD format would fail? Seems like they made the same mistake this time around.

Wait for CES in January...its gonna be exciting for the HD camp and dissapointing for the BR camp.

With all that said, I STILL need to get a PS3 for BR. Sadly this format war will not be ending ANY time soon, and I don't want to miss out on some BR exclusive movies.

I saw this thread and thought of you. :lol: Wish you were a mod.

[quote name='mykevermin']Jesus Tapdancing Christ. If you can turn "Sony offering movie download service" into "UMD is dead, Blu Ray is next," I think you ought to file a job application with FOX News. You'd fit in like fuckin' famous there.

Seriously, we have all known UMD is dead *as a movie format* for several months (or longer) by now. Where's the goddamned news here? Oh, Blu Ray? That must be it. But, it isn't mentioned in the article? Hmm. I see.

Your framing of this article, as evidenced in the topic title, shows that you just want to stir the pot. I made a post elsewhere about how people should be grateful we have the mods we do, and that I'm not in control of who gets banned. This thread is evidence of why you should be grateful.
[/quote]

Here's the difference between UMD and Blu-ray: UMD movies only worked on the PSP (and thus could only be used on a small screen), they cost more than the DVD versions of the same movie, and they offered less quality and fewer extra features.

Blu-ray has basically the same capabilities as HD-DVD (with more capacity). Many different companies are making Blu-ray players and many different studios are making movies for them. How the hell is Blu-ray more proprietary than HD-DVD? It has more support from hardware manufacturers and movie studios.

If Blu-ray movies could ONLY be played on a PS3, then you might have a point.

[quote name='icruise']Here's the difference between UMD and Blu-ray: UMD movies only worked on the PSP (and thus could only be used on a small screen), they cost more than the DVD versions of the same movie, and they offered less quality and fewer extra features.

Blu-ray has basically the same capabilities as HD-DVD (with more capacity). Many different companies are making Blu-ray players and many different studios are making movies for them. How the hell is Blu-ray more proprietary than HD-DVD? It has more support from hardware manufacturers and movie studios.[/QUOTE]

BR movies are more expensive then normal DVDs, often carry LESS extras then the DVDs (while they have 30+ more gigs left on a disc), and can only be played on BR players that are $600, $800, $100, $1300.

HD movies are more expensive then DVD, some HD DVDs are combos which mean both a DVD and HD version for a bit more money, HD discs often carry the same amount of extras as the DVD counterparts, HD DVD players are $200, $400, $500, $800.

[quote name='gizmogc']BR movies are more expensive then normal DVDs, often carry LESS extras then the DVDs (while they have 30+ more gigs left on a disc), and can only be played on BR players that are $600, $800, $100, $1300.
[/quote]

Iif some individual Blu-ray titles have fewer features than the DVD version, that isn't a failing of the Blu-ray format, now is it? It's up to the publishers to decide what goes on which version. Many HD-DVD movies don't have the same features either.

By the way, you forgot the $499 PS3.

HD movies are more expensive then DVD, some HD DVDs are combos which mean both a DVD and HD version for a bit more money, HD discs often carry the same amount of extras as the DVD counterparts, HD DVD players are $200, $400, $500, $800.
The combo disc is a feature that sounds like a good idea, but I fail to see how it's useful in most situations. If you buy the HD version of a movie, you're not going to want to watch the DVD version, are you? And these combo discs are sold as HD-DVDs, not regular DVDs, so you won't have people who only have DVD players buying them. If they sold them as normal DVDs it would make more sense, since people could easily upgrade their home theater and still keep some of their movies. But I don't see that happening right now.

Oh, and I'd love to know which HD-DVD player you're talking about that only costs $200. I certainly hope it's not the Xbox 360 add-on drive, because you have to include the cost of the game console that is REQUIRED to use it.

The combo disc is a feature that sounds like a good idea, but I fail to see how it's useful in most situations. If you buy the HD version of a movie, you're not going to want to watch the DVD version, are you? And these combo discs are sold as HD-DVDs, not regular DVDs, so you won't have people who only have DVD players buying them. If they sold them as normal DVDs it would make more sense, since people could easily upgrade their home theater and still keep some of their movies. But I don't see that happening right now.

Its is helpful, you can take it to a friends house who doesnt have a HD DVD player and watch it there. You can use it in a laptop on a trip that doesnt have a HD DVD player. You could play it in a car with no HD DVD player. This list is endless.

Oh, and I'd love to know which HD-DVD player you're talking about that only costs $200. I certainly hope it's not the Xbox 360 add-on drive, because you have to include the cost of the game console that is REQUIRED to use it.

If you look you can find HD DVD players (not add ons) for 200-300, just like you can find Blu-Ray players for 400-600 (not the ps3)

[quote name='icruise']Iif some individual Blu-ray titles have fewer features than the DVD version, that isn't a failing of the Blu-ray format, now is it? It's up to the publishers to decide what goes on which version. Many HD-DVD movies don't have the same features either.

By the way, you forgot the $499 PS3.

Oh, and I'd love to know which HD-DVD player you're talking about that only costs $200. I certainly hope it's not the Xbox 360 add-on drive, because you have to include the cost of the game console that is REQUIRED to use it.[/QUOTE]

Combo comes in useful when you have other DVD players around. Take it to a friend house, use it on you're computer, etc. Its something Blu Ray can't offer, which is pretty damn stupid considering Disney movies would be often watched by children who have DVD players in cars, rooms, etc.

Yes, the $200 HD player would be the 360 add-on. Who the hell is buying a 360 + HD add-on to watch HD movies on when standalone players are as cheap as $350-400 new? PS3 IS the cheapest BR player out there so it makes sense to get PS3 for BR playback. Getting a 360 for HD playback is stupid unless you have already invested $300 or $400 in a 360. I see the cost as $200 as do many others who have already purchased a 360. Its a cheap way to get into HD. PS3 is not.

Disney ! Ha !

Disney basically equals childrens videos .
That is not good , see Nintendo* and their kiddie game maker branding for the answer to that one .

What a bullshit claim to the lead .

* I'm not a supporter of this view , but many retail clerks talk this crap to the cattle in their stores .

[quote name='icruise']
Oh, and I'd love to know which HD-DVD player you're talking about that only costs $200. I certainly hope it's not the Xbox 360 add-on drive, because you have to include the cost of the game console that is REQUIRED to use it.[/QUOTE]
You can also use the HD-DVD player on any PC running Windows XP or Vista.

I just want sony to fail this generation(rememer betamax it was superior to vhs....)I'd rather see M$ and Kidtendo win.

[quote name='icruise']

[/QUOTE]

Wrong !

I'm going to start buying HD DVD's to watch the DVD side now until I get an HD DVD player .

[quote name='Richlough']Disney ! Ha !

That is not good , see Nintendo* and their kiddie game maker branding for the answer to that one .

What a bullshit claim to the lead .

* I'm not a supporter of this view , but many retail clerks talk this crap to the cattle in their stores .[/QUOTE]
Disney is also Touchstone. I would also not think of POTC as a kiddie movie.

Blu-ray is also backed by Fox, Warner Bros, Paramount, Dell, HP, MGM, and Universal.

[quote name='Richlough']Wrong !

I'm going to start buying HD DVD's to watch the DVD side now until I get an HD DVD player .[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea. My point is that they aren't marketing them in this way (as far as I can tell).

[quote name='yobaburp']I just want sony to fail this generation(rememer betamax it was superior to vhs....)I'd rather see M$ and Kidtendo win.[/quote]

I forgot that beta was better, just as everyone is stating Blu Ray is better. Stirring up conversation, yes I am. It's going to equate to which company can get the cheapest HD player on Wal Marts shelves.

Taking into account capacity yada this yada that the movie companies are going to support whatever format is in the household. The PS3 is the ONLY cheap ticket into Blu Ray. Most people I know that are avid movie buyers (not anime or import) are casual gamers and not willing to drop 500-600 bucks on a game system, but would drop 300+ on a HD DVD player.

Technical specs mean nothing in business, an installed user base does. Sony has 187,000 Blu Rays out now.

My challenge is too see how many Blu Ray movies are out vs HD DVD at this moment.

I don't know this statistic, but would. I don't want to get into a Ford vs. Chevy debate about specs because the electronics industry has proven over and over again horsepower does not equate sales.

[quote name='mwynn']Disney is also Touchstone. I would also not think of POTC as a kiddie movie.

Blu-ray is also backed by Fox, Warner Bros, Paramount, Dell, HP, MGM, and Universal.[/QUOTE]
Blu Ray isnt backed by Universal, and Warner Bros. is also HD DVD

[quote name='anomynous']Blu Ray isnt backed by Universal, and Warner Bros. is also HD DVD[/QUOTE]
Sorry Universal Music. I am not doing a comparison between the two, just posting about blu-ray.

[quote name='mwynn']Disney is also Touchstone. I would also not think of POTC as a kiddie movie.

Blu-ray is also backed by Fox, Warner Bros, Paramount, Dell, HP, MGM, and Universal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, which is why I have WB and Universal movies in my HD collection. What movies has Dell, HP released? So far, HD has had better releases. Even the BR camp can't really argue on that one. As of right now, there are only 10 future HD releases. The BR camp seems to have announced a whole slew of them because of the PS3 arrival. I can't wait until CES...we are gonna get some HUGE announcements. Harry Potter, Matrix...many, many more.

The only real exclusive studios BR has is Sony (which is also MGM), Fox, and Disney. So far releases from all 3 studios have been pretty damn lackluster. Don't expect Star Wars anytime soon as it took 8 years for it to arrive on DVD.

[quote name='fenderhutz']
Technical specs mean nothing in business, an installed user base does. Sony has 187,000 Blu Rays out now.
[/QUOTE]

An 'installed' userbase does not mean much when 90% of that is PS3 owners. How many PS3 owners plan on actually BUYING BR discs? How many want to spend the extra $10-25 on a BR disc instead of a DVD? how many own a HDTV that can take advantage of BR? Thats the big question. With HD players its pretty damn clear. If you bought a HD player you plan on buying/watching movies. Its not built into a video game system. Its a standalone purchase.

[quote name='gizmogc']An 'installed' userbase does not mean much when 90% of that is PS3 owners. How many PS3 owners plan on actually BUYING BR discs? How many want to spend the extra $10-25 on a BR disc instead of a DVD? how many own a HDTV that can take advantage of BR? Thats the big question. With HD players its pretty damn clear. If you bought a HD player you plan on buying/watching movies. Its not built into a video game system. Its a standalone purchase.[/quote]

I was stating 187,000 isn't a hill of beans in the movie industry, to agree with you, if I owned a PS3 I probably wouldn't watch movies on it in fear of wearing out the drive or overheating as (almost) every other game system has proven it does.

[quote name='gizmogc']Yeah, which is why I have WB and Universal movies in my HD collection. What movies has Dell, HP released? So far, HD has had better releases. Even the BR camp can't really argue on that one. As of right now, there are only 10 future HD releases. The BR camp seems to have announced a whole slew of them because of the PS3 arrival. I can't wait until CES...we are gonna get some HUGE announcements. Harry Potter, Matrix...many, many more.

The only real exclusive studios BR has is Sony (which is also MGM), Fox, and Disney. So far releases from all 3 studios have been pretty damn lackluster. Don't expect Star Wars anytime soon as it took 8 years for it to arrive on DVD.[/quote]

Harry Potter is already out, just need to import it, it costs around 38 bucks depending on shpping. Matrix and all the others will not come out soon, maybe not until 2008 or fall 2007 but man do I want them especially after seeing them on TNTHD. Most all big movies will not be released until there is a large installed user base. There are some that might be released early for a marketing campain i.e. spidermans with spiderman 3, pirates with pirates 3, shrek with shrek 3. You get the picture

[quote name='Richlough']Wrong !

I'm going to start buying HD DVD's to watch the DVD side now until I get an HD DVD player .[/QUOTE]

The combo discs suck ass and have to go away immediately. Not only are they asstacularly expensive, but 9 times out of 10 the person buying the movie on HD format arleady owns or has seen the DVD version.

Its making you pay for something you don't want or need.

Regular HD discs are in the $20 range, all the combo discs are in the $28+ range.

imo joe consumer is satisfied with their plain ol dvds and niether br or hddvd is going to take off and flat out replace reg dvds anytime soon.

Esp since belive it or not there are still some ppl just now getting a dvd player and don't care about the sharpest pic qualty cause they still have sd tvs.

[quote name='Richlough']Disney ! Ha !

That is not good , see Nintendo* and their kiddie game maker branding for the answer to that one.[/quote]
Yeah, Disney and their stupid kiddie movies. Ha! Nobody buys those.

:roll:

[quote name='nharmon91']And Macs[/QUOTE]
As far as I know, there's no way to actually play HD discs (either HD-DVD or Blu-ray) on a Mac at the moment. That is coming with version 10.5 of Mac OS X.

[quote name='nharmon91']Harry Potter is already out, just need to import it, it costs around 38 bucks depending on shpping. Matrix and all the others will not come out soon, maybe not until 2008 or fall 2007 but man do I want them especially after seeing them on TNTHD. Most all big movies will not be released until there is a large installed user base. There are some that might be released early for a marketing campain i.e. spidermans with spiderman 3, pirates with pirates 3, shrek with shrek 3. You get the picture[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have no interest in importing Harry Potter right now though.
As for the Matrix, its rumored for February or March. HD announcements and releases are pretty damn fast for catalog titles. They announced V for Vendetta in early October for an early November release.

[quote name='HeadRusch']The combo discs suck ass and have to go away immediately. Not only are they asstacularly expensive, but 9 times out of 10 the person buying the movie on HD format arleady owns or has seen the DVD version.

Regular HD discs are in the $20 range, all the combo discs are in the $28+ range.[/quote]

As another stated, the combo discs are good if you want to go over to a friends place and watch the same movie but he/she doesn't have an HD player. Or if you say own a laptop that just has a standard dvd drive and you want to watch that movie while on the road. Also its good for people that definatly plan on upgrading to an HD DVD player. I've thought about getting a couple of combo discs like that myself

[quote name='HeadRusch']The combo discs suck ass and have to go away immediately. Not only are they asstacularly expensive, but 9 times out of 10 the person buying the movie on HD format arleady owns or has seen the DVD version.

Regular HD discs are in the $20 range, all the combo discs are in the $28+ range.[/QUOTE]

...and I agree with you. Its nice for people that want an HD and DVD version...but I don't. Its a great feature the HD camp can tout, but not something I personally give a damn about.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']Whichever format gets their player to $99 the fastest will win.[/quote]

That probably won't happen for a year at the very least. It took about 3-4 years from when DVD first hit in 97 to get to that point.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']Whichever format gets their player to $99 the fastest will win.[/QUOTE]
The biggest problem that both formats face is that most people aren't really ready for HD video. Obviously you need an HDTV to appreciate it, and even if you have one, the difference between HD video and DVD isn't quite as huge as the difference between DVD and VHS, so it may be a hard sell for both sides.

Hd Dvd Sucks. PLUS you can't make a winner when only 30% of america has hd tvs. It just took until last week for 88% of households to have a DVD player. Just wondering but what are the HD DVD player sales?

[quote name='icruise']The biggest problem that both formats face is that most people aren't really ready for HD video. Obviously you need an HDTV to appreciate it, and even if you have one, the difference between HD video and DVD isn't quite as huge as the difference between DVD and VHS, so it may be a hard sell for both sides.[/QUOTE]

The biggest problem is that the Wal-Mart crowd doesn't understand the difference between DVD and these new formats. I'm convinced that the only reason that the Wal-Mart crowd caught onto DVD in the first place was because they wouldn't have to rewind movies, they got menus, and DVDs are shiny... shiny shit represents a huge improvement to the absent minded consumers that drive the industry's sales. What's new for these people with HDDVD or Blu-Ray? Nothing. They're still watching their shit on a black and white Emerson TV from 1973.

[quote name='panasonic']Hd Dvd Sucks. PLUS you can't make a winner when only 30% of america has hd tvs. It just took until last week for 88% of households to have a DVD player. Just wondering but what are the HD DVD player sales?[/QUOTE]

panasonic has changed my opinion. His well thought out paragraph has changed everything. I hope Sony is reading this and hires him as head of Advertising and Marketing. :roll:

This whole debate is silly. Both formats just launched and we're supposed to proclaim the death of one and the victory of the other? Riiiight.

You know who I pick being the winner in this war? Plain old DVD. High Definition video discs are way premature. When DVD hit, nearly every TV on the market could display a marked improvement over VHS. While HD movies do look stunning, the install base of the montiors (let alone the players) is too small to be taken advantage of, and even when you do have the right setup, it's diminished returns. Yes, HD-DVD adn BluRay look better than a regular DVD, but not to the same degree that a DVD looked betted than a VHS tape.

The best bet is an investment in a solid upconverting DVD player, which can do wonders for the "old" DVD format. The DVD install base is too huge for them to not support DVD for a long time now. Let that suffice for now, and wait 4 or 5 years and see where this format war is.

Using my made-up crystal ball, I'd say the death of both HD-DVD and BluRay as movie formats is likely, while digital copies of movies (in HD) will be the new "winner." The high-def discs will be used for data storage, not retail movie sales.

Oh Jesus Christ. CAGers are trying to out stupid each other again.

UMD was a limited format to begin with. It's death has just as much to do with the fact no standalone players or combo UMD/DVD players exist.

Saying Blu Ray or HD DVD will win is retarded since the installed consumer base is way too low for both of them, and the studios that signed on will change at the drop of a hat once a true winner comes out of this mess.

Turning Sony into offering downloadable films into Blu Ray being vaporware is probably the most moronic and biased statement of a topic I've read all month.

This thread (besides a few rational posts) embodies all thing fail.

[quote name='furyk']Oh Jesus Christ. CAGers are trying to out stupid each other again.

UMD was a limited format to begin with. It's death has just as much to do with the fact no standalone players or combo UMD/DVD players exist.

Saying Blu Ray or HD DVD will win is retarded since the installed consumer base is way too low for both of them, and the studios that signed on will change at the drop of a hat once a true winner comes out of this mess.

Turning Sony into offering downloadable films into Blu Ray being vaporware is probably the most moronic and biased statement of a topic I've read all month.

This thread (besides a few rational posts) embodies all thing fail.[/QUOTE]

Dude, its a discussion. If anyone thinks the format war will end in the next few months they are idiots. This will be going on for a while. The thread should really say "BetaMax Failed, MiniDisc Failed, UMD Failed, Will Blu Ray fail"?

Indeed. History tends to repeat itself, but that's not always the case. The success of Blu-Ray still depends on how the PS3 fairs in both 2007 and 2008. In addition to that, the price of the stand-alone players.

bread's done
Back