UMD is dead, Blu Ray is next

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Now that there, you pulled that right out of your ass.[/QUOTE]Coming out of his ass doesn't make it wrong.

Honestly, comparing UMD to Blu-Ray is stupid.

- Blu-Ray is playable in more than the PS3, which couldn't be said about the UMD.

- Blu-Ray offers higher quality than DVD, where UMD offered lower quality, and more often than not, less features.

- More support for Blu-Ray than the UMD

- You can view Blu-Ray movies on your TV

- Blu-Ray actually has a competing format, where as UMD was really in a stand-alone market.

- Even if the UMD failed, who gives a shit? You never saw any of Sega or Nintendo's proprietary formats taking off. You might as well call the DS a failure too, because I see no other companies or devices supporting their little cards.

It's really annoying seeing nothing but negativity towards Blu-Ray, but absolutely nothing towards HD-DVD. If you'd actually do research instead of assuming Sony is pushing this on us, rather than competing with another format, you wouldn't make such shitty comments.

[quote name='gizmogc']Dude, its a discussion. If anyone thinks the format war will end in the next few months they are idiots. This will be going on for a while. The thread should really say "BetaMax Failed, MiniDisc Failed, UMD Failed, Will Blu Ray fail"?[/quote]

There is no discussion here. Its fanboys attempting to blungeon eachother with their epeens. However, since they're rediculously short, they're mostly relying on worn out baised statements that have been thrown around for the past year.

This thread is fanboyism based on the sheer fact that most people would agree "Minidisc failed"

I don't think "failed" is the right word for a portable media format that doesn't skip, lasts up to a hundred years, and has been delivering at least 30 hours of playback on two [if not one] double AA battery since the early 90's and is stil the dominant portable media format in Europe and Asia.

Just because the US doesn't understand a format doesn't mean that it's a failure. What you have to remember about MiniDisc is that it's not proprietary, there are dozens of good players/recorders by Sharp, JVC, Panasonic, Casio, Yamaha, and even speciality audio firms.

And as a last note, it's the only portable media format which supports [officialy] dolby output and the first to work with dolby portable surround codecs and headphones.

Enjoy your limited, 20th century Wiis and shrill, tinny sounding iPods.

[quote name='gizmogc']Dude, its a discussion. If anyone thinks the format war will end in the next few months they are idiots. This will be going on for a while. The thread should really say "BetaMax Failed, MiniDisc Failed, UMD Failed, Will Blu Ray fail"?[/QUOTE]

BetaMax, MiniDisc, and UMD were all Sony proprietary formats.

Blu-ray is a collaborative effort with Sony involved, much like CDs or DVDs.

[quote name='dpatel']BetaMax, MiniDisc, and UMD were all Sony proprietary formats.

Blu-ray is a collaborative effort with Sony involved, much like CDs or DVDs.[/QUOTE]

As I said in my above post

MiniDisc is NOT a proprietary format: Pioneer, JVC, Sharp, Panasonic, Yamaha, Casio, and tons of companies have licenses and rights to produce MD hardware and media!

[quote name='dpatel']BetaMax, MiniDisc, and UMD were all Sony proprietary formats.

Blu-ray is a collaborative effort with Sony involved, much like CDs or DVDs.[/quote]

Liar. Thats like saying Sony isn't the only one that makes TVs. :roll:

:p

I love my minidisc, makes the best recordings for the price, but I have yet to see any hardware by non-sony companies. If you know of some especially one that is capable of transfering from minidisc to computer (sony doesn't let you for copyright protection) please point the way.

As for the current argument. I'm going to be enjoying all the $5 and under regular dvds for a long time, even after I have a hdtv. By then the players or ps3 will be pretty cheap so for some movies I may go for hd, but a majority of movies won't be worth the extra $20. Things like lord of the rings or the matrix will be awesome in hd, but a majority of the movies I buy won't be worth it. Especially since I assume there will be some kind of upconverting chip that makes it look pretty close to hd from standard dvds.

[quote name='happy']I love my minidisc, makes the best recordings for the price, but I have yet to see any hardware by non-sony companies. If you know of some especially one that is capable of transfering from minidisc to computer (sony doesn't let you for copyright protection) please point the way.

As for the current argument. I'm going to be enjoying all the $5 and under regular dvds for a long time, even after I have a hdtv. By then the players or ps3 will be pretty cheap so for some movies I may go for hd, but a majority of movies won't be worth the extra $20. Things like lord of the rings or the matrix will be awesome in hd, but a majority of the movies I buy won't be worth it. Especially since I assume there will be some kind of upconverting chip that makes it look pretty close to hd from standard dvds.[/quote]

I agree. I'm really in no rush to jump to HD. Cheap movies for $5-10 is awesome! Upconversion will happen and DVDs will still work on HD players. There are only a few movies that I will double, triple and quadruple dip at this point. Stuff like Star Wars (fucking put out the true original cuts in fucking Widescreen Lucas), Matrix, LOTR, Serenity, etc. Also, I prefer the majority o fmy movies in the quality they are at now. A lot of them are reminiscent of how I saw them in theatres, and without that semi-grainy picture it wouldn't be the same. Same reason I didn't buy the Scarface re-release and dump version. A lot of the movies I like also happen to be in B&W or from 50/60s-70s which you want to see how they were filmed and I rather doubt that they can do a "true" translation of them to the HD formats..

[quote name='gizmogc']panasonic has changed my opinion. His well thought out paragraph has changed everything. I hope Sony is reading this and hires him as head of Advertising and Marketing. :roll:[/quote]

:DMerry Christmas. :booty::grouphug:

We won't be able to tell until a while from now. They (the common consumer) will go with whatever the daring consumers will buy. Then eventually the studios will move over to that format and we will have a winner. Common consumers can't even tell the difference, and neither do they care. Which can be a good thing. I mean, to each his own.

[quote name='happy'] Especially since I assume there will be some kind of upconverting chip that makes it look pretty close to hd from standard dvds.[/quote]You know, coming from a background of knowing a good amount about image resolutions and such, I am amazed at how clear upconverted DVDs are on realtively cheap players that are out now. I have a $100 (might be cheaper now, was a wedding present this summer) Panasonic DVD player that will upconvert to 720p or 1080i. I've got it running through HDMI/DVI. It's shockingly clear, especially in digitally remastered (or digital original like Pixar movies) compared to even just a progressive scan player. The processors working on that amaze me. I was surprised to hear that the PS3 doesn't upconvert (does the 360 alone or with the HD-DVD addon?), but I'm assuming they'll add it in a future update.

The point is, HD movies are too much too soon, not unlike the current-gen game systems. But what can you do? People always want new and shiny. Can't really blame companies for cashing in.

Just throwing my hat in this but i would prefer bluray to win because i already have a PS3 and i do not have an HDdvd player. I do not know very much of why one is better (i know that Bluray has more space and uh...) but i would have bought a HDdvd player if i couldnt find a PS3 this year. Just my 2cents.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']That probably won't happen for a year at the very least. It took about 3-4 years from when DVD first hit in 97 to get to that point.[/quote]
Probably 2-3 years buddy

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'] A lot of the movies I like also happen to be in B&W or from 50/60s-70s which you want to see how they were filmed and I rather doubt that they can do a "true" translation of them to the HD formats..[/QUOTE]
Just because a film is older or in black and white doesn't mean it can't benefit from HD, though. As long as they have a decent print to work from, they can do a lot with them. Whether they will actually take the time to do this depends on the demand for that movie of course.

[quote name='sarausagi']As I said in my above post

MiniDisc is NOT a proprietary format: Pioneer, JVC, Sharp, Panasonic, Yamaha, Casio, and tons of companies have licenses and rights to produce MD hardware and media![/QUOTE]

Oh ok, my fault. You're right. But you were still missing CDs and DVDs.

[quote name='fenderhutz']Sony is reportedly launching a movie download service for its PSP which could rival Apple's iTunes store.

Death to UMD, I give Blu-Ray one year and I bet you will still see only Sony film releases on it.

Why was the PS1 and PS2 successful, it used a standard format. Why is PSP failing, it doesn't use one. Every time Sony make a device that uses a proprietary medium it fails.[/quote]
Your a fucking idiot.

How is UMD the same as Bluray?

Learn your fucking formats moron.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Your a fucking idiot.

How is UMD the same as Bluray?

Learn your fucking formats moron.[/QUOTE]

Because they're both proprietary Sony media formats that only Sony uses in their hardware (also see sony memory sticks and sony minidiscs for more examples of their idiocy).

Dumbshit.

[quote name='Methane']Because they're both proprietary Sony media formats that only Sony uses in their hardware (also see sony memory sticks and sony minidiscs for more examples of their idiocy).

Dumbshit.[/QUOTE]

Yep, you're completely right. Blu-ray is only used in Sony hardware. Other blu-ray players by other companies don't exist.

[quote name='Methane']Because they're both proprietary Sony media formats that only Sony uses in their hardware (also see sony memory sticks and sony minidiscs for more examples of their idiocy).

Dumbshit.[/QUOTE]

fuck, have you not read the posts above?

MINIDISC IS NOT A PROPRIETARY FORMAT: THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF MINDISC PLAYER AND RECORDER MODELS, AS WELL AS CAR PLAYERS, PROFESSIONAL RECORDING EQUIPMENT, AND DEDICATED HOME THEATRE DECKS PRODUCED BY DOZENS OF COMPANIES [INCLUDING EVERY SINGLE BIG COMPANY: PANASONIC, JVC, YAMAHA, PIONEER, SHARP, CASIO, ETC]

MINIDISC WAS DEVELOPED BY SONY BUT LICENSED TO PRETTY MUCH EVERY SINGLE MAJOR ELECTRONICS MAKER. IT IS THE LEADING PORTABLE MUSIC FORMAT IN JAPAN, ASIA, AND EUROPE, AND HAS BEEN SINCE THE EARLY 90'S. IT WAS MASS PRODUCTION -WAY- BEFORE MP3 PLAYERS EVER WERE A COMMON WORD, AND HAPPENS TO SOUND INFINITELY BETTER THAN MP3 AT ANYTHING LESS THAN 320 KBPS.

The same story for Blu Ray, developed mostly by Sony but a joint effort with other companies, licensed to hardware companies, and supported by most all major film studios.

Memory Stick is much the same way now: hardware companies can CHOOSE to use memory stick in their devices, but in order to do so they have to pay licensing fees to Sony: guess what? They have to do the same for SD, for CF, even for Smart Media or XD. The same way Siemens and Sandisk worked to make SD, the same way Sony and Sandisk worked to make MS.

And if you seriously even think Betamax "is properietary". Toshiba, Pioneer, Zenith, Aiwa: ALL produced Beta players. And guess what? Just like Sony develped Beta, guess who developed VCR's? JVC/VICTOR!! Electronic companies also had to pay contracting fees to JVC for VHS.....

As for UMD, yes, UMD IS PROPIETARY. UMD is only for the PSP, and no alternative to UMD exists.

But tell me something, have Nintendo fanboys ever complained that GBA cartridges are proprietary? Or that DS cards aren't just regular SD cards?

No.

Are we trying to argue that DS and GBA carts are now movies/music? This entire thread is based upon UMD vs. Blu Ray. While some lame ass country's still use Beta, MiniDisc, its no where near the volume of DVDs.

PS3 can only use BR. I see that as a proprietary format. Much like UMD being only playable in PSP. Sony is behind Blu Ray. While other companies are releasing Blu Ray players (and have way before Sony did because), Sony is the main company we are talking about.

[quote name='gizmogc']PS3 can only use BR. I see that as a proprietary format. Much like UMD being only playable in PSP. Sony is behind Blu Ray. While other companies are releasing Blu Ray players (and have way before Sony did because), Sony is the main company we are talking about.[/QUOTE]

You are contradicting yourself.

"PS3 can only use BR"

I assume you meant to say that BR can only be used in the PS3. If so, that is wrong. If that wasn't a typo, and you did mean to say that, then it makes no sense. I could say that the Xbox can only use DVD, and claim DVD to be one of MS's proprietary formats.

Just because Sony is the "main" company, doesn't make the formate proprietary. Sony is just being more aggressive in their approach, that is all.

[quote name='gizmogc']Are we trying to argue that DS and GBA carts are now movies/music? This entire thread is based upon UMD vs. Blu Ray. While some lame ass country's still use Beta, MiniDisc, its no where near the volume of DVDs.

PS3 can only use BR. I see that as a proprietary format. Much like UMD being only playable in PSP. Sony is behind Blu Ray. While other companies are releasing Blu Ray players (and have way before Sony did because), Sony is the main company we are talking about.[/QUOTE]

Umm, before the PS2, more people used mindisc in Japan than DVD..

In fact, minidisc players outsold portable CD players around the mid 90's and still do.

There's a growing number of mp3 users in Japan, but I bet cheapy could show you the hundreds of MD accesories, players, recorders, and media available in Japan.

Blu-Ray is a proprietary format... Sony owns Blu-Ray. Companies are free to use it if they pay a licensing fee. So on every BD player or BD disc sale, Sony makes a bit of money.

[quote name='gizmogc']
Having Disney is NOT huge when they don't release any decent titles in their catalog, and the cheapest Blu Ray player is still $800 (PS3 does not count as its near impossible to find. But if you want to count it, we can include the $200 360 HD player). Remember when Disney and Fox supported Divx and said DVD format would fail? Seems like they made the same mistake this time around.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was going to bring up about Disney, I don't see a Cars Blu Ray yet, and the point about the Divx was on the money too, any early adopter of dvd is well familiar with the crap CC was selling known as Divx... the crap the salesman tried pawning off on me on it taking over dvd STILL pisses me off to this day (Being an early adopter to dvd, I was NOT "Joe 6 Pack", I knew better, I could see ahead, most of those movies were in F/S anyway...

I hate format wars, but it will always happen

[quote name='Pootie Thang']Personally I like blu-ray, ever since I got my PS3 I bought around like 20 disc so far.[/quote]

You must be rich or like to be wasteful with your money:D

[quote name='icruise']Just because a film is older or in black and white doesn't mean it can't benefit from HD, though. As long as they have a decent print to work from, they can do a lot with them. Whether they will actually take the time to do this depends on the demand for that movie of course.[/quote]

See, that's the problem. Most of them do not have a good print to work off of and even then this is black and white how much do you really think they can restore them? It's like trying to restore the Mona Lisa to its original standing when it was painted. Not going to happen. And like you said, outside of Criterion and maybe some legacy titles like The Day The Earth Stood Still, most companies aren't going to do remasters of older flicks that they don't think will make enough to pay for the remastering.

[quote name='Vinny']Blu-Ray is a proprietary format... Sony owns Blu-Ray. Companies are free to use it if they pay a licensing fee. So on every BD player or BD disc sale, Sony makes a bit of money.[/QUOTE]

And Toshiba makes money on HD-DVD sales. You say this like it's some evil plot or something.

[quote name='sarausagi']Enjoy your limited, 20th century Wiis and shrill, tinny sounding iPods.[/QUOTE]
I was a big fan of Minidisc back in the day and had a number of players and recorders, but I think it's silly to compare them to the iPod in this way. Both MP3/AAC and ATRAC are lossy formats, but MP3 and ACC have the advantage in that you can increase the bitrate if you want. Plus, the iPod supports formats like AIFF and Apple lossless, which means that you don't lose anything compared to a CD. Unless I'm mistaken, the same can't be said for Minidisc.

Who gives a shit which next gen DVD format succeeds or fails? I'll pick up a sub-$100 player of the victorious format when discs for said format are found in weekly $5-10 sales.

[quote name='alongx']Who gives a shit which next gen DVD format succeeds or fails? I'll pick up a sub-$100 player of the victorious format when discs for said format are found in weekly $5-10 sales.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

I have to say that Microsoft is the smarter one here. Giving 360 buyers a choice to have or not have a largely superfluous $200 HD drive on their system or not is the best. If the 360 had an HD-DVD drive included and it cost $600, i'd have avoided it too.

This is the advantage. Microsoft is backing HD-DVD, but they don't really benefit from HD-DVD sales. It's not in their agenda to push it on people like it is for Sony with Blu Ray.

Blah blah blah sony says blue ray is necessary for games. It's really not, and it won't be for years. 360 games get by fine on DVD and the 360 has just as much if not more texture ram than the PS3. I don't think the increased cost is worth the minor benefit.

Developers already struggle to create enough texture/sound content to fill a DVD, without spending 4 years in development and millions of dollars. Is it really necessary to increase that space, and development cost?

[quote name='jer7583']Exactly!

I have to say that Microsoft is the smarter one here. Giving 360 buyers a choice to have or not have a largely superfluous $200 HD drive on their system or not is the best. If the 360 had an HD-DVD drive included and it cost $600, i'd have avoided it too.

This is the advantage. Microsoft is backing HD-DVD, but they don't really benefit from HD-DVD sales. It's not in their agenda to push it on people like it is for Sony with Blu Ray.

Blah blah blah sony says blue ray is necessary for games. It's really not, and it won't be for years. 360 games get by fine on DVD and the 360 has just as much if not more texture ram than the PS3. I don't think the increased cost is worth the minor benefit.

Developers already struggle to create enough texture/sound content to fill a DVD, without spending 4 years in development and millions of dollars. Is it really necessary to increase that space, and development cost?[/QUOTE]
Does the hd-dvd add on for the 360 play games?

[quote name='mwynn']Does the hd-dvd add on for the 360 play games?[/QUOTE]

Nope its meant to play movies and only movies.

So you're sayin that its a better deal to pay $600 for dvd games and HDDVD movies than it is to pay $600 for BluRay movies AND games?

The fact that there are already PS2 games that span multiple DVDs shows you're wrong.

[quote name='jer7583']Exactly!

Developers already struggle to create enough texture/sound content to fill a DVD, without spending 4 years in development and millions of dollars. Is it really necessary to increase that space, and development cost?[/quote]

[quote name='sarausagi']fuck, have you not read the posts above?

MINIDISC IS NOT A PROPRIETARY FORMAT: THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF MINDISC PLAYER AND RECORDER MODELS, AS WELL AS CAR PLAYERS, PROFESSIONAL RECORDING EQUIPMENT, AND DEDICATED HOME THEATRE DECKS PRODUCED BY DOZENS OF COMPANIES [INCLUDING EVERY SINGLE BIG COMPANY: PANASONIC, JVC, YAMAHA, PIONEER, SHARP, CASIO, ETC]

MINIDISC WAS DEVELOPED BY SONY BUT LICENSED TO PRETTY MUCH EVERY SINGLE MAJOR ELECTRONICS MAKER. IT IS THE LEADING PORTABLE MUSIC FORMAT IN JAPAN, ASIA, AND EUROPE, AND HAS BEEN SINCE THE EARLY 90'S. IT WAS MASS PRODUCTION -WAY- BEFORE MP3 PLAYERS EVER WERE A COMMON WORD, AND HAPPENS TO SOUND INFINITELY BETTER THAN MP3 AT ANYTHING LESS THAN 320 KBPS.

The same story for Blu Ray, developed mostly by Sony but a joint effort with other companies, licensed to hardware companies, and supported by most all major film studios.

Memory Stick is much the same way now: hardware companies can CHOOSE to use memory stick in their devices, but in order to do so they have to pay licensing fees to Sony: guess what? They have to do the same for SD, for CF, even for Smart Media or XD. The same way Siemens and Sandisk worked to make SD, the same way Sony and Sandisk worked to make MS.

And if you seriously even think Betamax "is properietary". Toshiba, Pioneer, Zenith, Aiwa: ALL produced Beta players. And guess what? Just like Sony develped Beta, guess who developed VCR's? JVC/VICTOR!! Electronic companies also had to pay contracting fees to JVC for VHS.....

As for UMD, yes, UMD IS PROPIETARY. UMD is only for the PSP, and no alternative to UMD exists.

But tell me something, have Nintendo fanboys ever complained that GBA cartridges are proprietary? Or that DS cards aren't just regular SD cards?

No.[/QUOTE]

The point is, SONY insists on creating their own formats based on existing technology instead of embracing already universal formats. Instead of UMD, they could have easily used the standard mini dvd discs. Instead of memory sticks, they could have used SD Cards, instead of i.link, they could have used the standard firewire interface. They keep pulling crap like this over and over again with bluray being the latest in non-comformity. It's not going to catch on as an industry wide standard...just as history has shown us time and time again.

Blu ray and Hd-dvd will have company in the next year or two.

DMD (Digital Multilayer Disk) (2006?) - AVCHD (Advanced Video Codec High Definition) (2006) - Tapestry Media (2007)- HVD(Holographic Versatile Disc) (TBA) Protein-coated disc (TBA)

[quote name='Methane']The point is, SONY insists on creating their own formats based on existing technology instead of embracing already universal formats. Instead of UMD, they could have easily used the standard mini dvd discs. Instead of memory sticks, they could have used SD Cards, instead of i.link, they could have used the standard firewire interface. They keep pulling crap like this over and over again with bluray being the latest in non-comformity. It's not going to catch on as an industry wide standard...just as history has shown us time and time again.[/QUOTE]

You've got that backwards. Sony releases a format at the same time as a comperable format comes out. SD Cards didn't dominate the market when Memory Sticks came out, VHS and Beta were released around the same time, and HD-DVD was hardly universally embraced by anyone at this moment. Sony is just competing on the free market.

No shit Hoss. Sony should have totally used 78s in the PS3.
300pxlprecordalbumwj9.jpg

[quote name='Methane']The point is, SONY insists on creating their own formats based on existing technology instead of embracing already universal formats. Instead of UMD, they could have easily used the standard mini dvd discs. Instead of memory sticks, they could have used SD Cards, instead of i.link, they could have used the standard firewire interface. They keep pulling crap like this over and over again with bluray being the latest in non-comformity. It's not going to catch on as an industry wide standard...just as history has shown us time and time again.[/quote]

And therein lies the major crux of the issue. The 360 is limited to the 4.77MB stored on a regular CD/DVD whereas the PS3 has a 50MB window. There is a major, major difference there and one which when taken advantage of by the game developers would provide a huge advantage for the PS3. Imagine cyber worlds with 10 times the size, and functionality of anything available on the 360...

[quote name='tbolt30']Nope its meant to play movies and only movies.[/quote]

[quote name='TexTuna']And therein lies the major crux of the issue. The 360 is limited to the 4.77MB stored on a regular CD/DVD whereas the PS3 has a 50MB window. There is a major, major difference there and one which when taken advantage of by the game developers would provide a huge advantage for the PS3. Imagine cyber worlds with 10 times the size, texture, and functionality of anything available on the 360...[/QUOTE]
Would that mean that 360 would have to make another add-on, to allow the HD Dvd player to play games?

[quote name='TexTuna']And therein lies the major crux of the issue. The 360 is limited to the 4.77MB stored on a regular CD/DVD whereas the PS3 has a 50MB window. There is a major, major difference there and one which when taken advantage of by the game developers would provide a huge advantage for the PS3. Imagine cyber worlds with 10 times the size, and functionality of anything available on the 360...[/quote]

8.5 GB chief. Assuming they use dual layer DVD.

[quote name='mwynn']Would that mean that 360 would have to make another add-on, to allow the HD Dvd player to play games?[/QUOTE]

The HD-DVD player will not, I repeat, will not play games of any kind. Movies only. Microsoft is not gonna force you to buy a $200 add-on to play games on 1 disc instead of two, unlike Sony. Sony shoved Blu-Ray down out throats. If you buy a PS3, you have NO choice.

What has not been brought up...how long do you think before we will see PS3 game pricedrops? Blu Rays are more expensive then DVDs the 360 uses. Wonder if we won't see them as fast as we did for the 360.

[quote name='dpatel']You are contradicting yourself.

"PS3 can only use BR"

I assume you meant to say that BR can only be used in the PS3. If so, that is wrong. If that wasn't a typo, and you did mean to say that, then it makes no sense. I could say that the Xbox can only use DVD, and claim DVD to be one of MS's proprietary formats.

Just because Sony is the "main" company, doesn't make the formate proprietary. Sony is just being more aggressive in their approach, that is all.[/QUOTE]

What other things in the world use Blu Ray? Just PS3 and Blu Ray players. To ME, thats a proprietary format. I am forced to buy into Blu Ray to play PS3 games. The Xbox 360 uses standard DVDs, something the PS2 and Xbox had used a generation before. As of RIGHT now, there is no features to Blu Ray that a normal DVD can not hold. All this extra space just sits there. Will developers use it? Maybe. But until then, you just paid a shit load of extra money for 'potential'.

I still wonder why Sony continues to do this over and over again. While MiniDisc is popular in other country's, its not to the extent Sony would have wanted. MD was a failed concept in America. I was young, I bought a MD player/recorder before MP3 players hit the market (MP3 CD Players were still like $250). Should we still call the Sega Master System a success because its popular in Brazil? Beta Died. Mini Disc Died. UMD Died. Blu Ray...not so sure. It has its Sony followers and studio support, but it still has poor sales. It WILL stick around for a while, or could even become the standard. Its not a big deal with me because I will be buying a PS3 because I realize this.

[quote name='Methane']instead of i.link, they could have used the standard firewire interface.[/QUOTE]
i.link is just Sony's name for 4-pin firewire. It's hardly a proprietary format.

[quote name='jer7583']I have to say that Microsoft is the smarter one here. Giving 360 buyers a choice to have or not have a largely superfluous $200 HD drive on their system or not is the best. If the 360 had an HD-DVD drive included and it cost $600, i'd have avoided it too.
[/quote]
I'll agree that Microsoft's approach is the more consumer-friendly one (for once), but only time will tell which is smarter. They are basically trying to leverage the brand strength of the Playstation in order to get Blu-ray into people's homes. And let me stress once again the the 20GB Playstation is in just about every way the equivalent of the Xbox 360 Premium set (they both have no wireless networking, a 20GB hard disk, wireless controller, etc), so you are in fact getting the HD movie player for $100 over the price of the Xbox.

Developers already struggle to create enough texture/sound content to fill a DVD, without spending 4 years in development and millions of dollars. Is it really necessary to increase that space, and development cost?
Well, Blue Dragon for the Xbox 360 already comes on 3 DVDs. Of course, for a linear role-playing game, putting games on multiple DVDs probably isn't a huge deal, since you aren't likely to be backtracking that much, but imagine a game like Oblivion or Grand Theft Auto. I really do think that during this generation, the limited storage space of DVD is going to be an issue.

[quote name='icruise']And Toshiba makes money on HD-DVD sales. You say this like it's some evil plot or something.[/QUOTE]

No, you just assumed I meant it in a bad way because I have a 360 sig.:roll:

Ease up buddy, I was just saying is all. I'm not even taking part in this (very stupid) discussion. I just thought I'd stop by to see what arguments fanboys/girls are making about why you need HD-DVD or BD-DVD.:lol:

[quote name='gizmogc']What other things in the world use Blu Ray? Just PS3 and Blu Ray players. To ME, thats a proprietary format. I am forced to buy into Blu Ray to play PS3 games. The Xbox 360 uses standard DVDs, something the PS2 and Xbox had used a generation before. As of RIGHT now, there is no features to Blu Ray that a normal DVD can not hold. All this extra space just sits there. Will developers use it? Maybe. But until then, you just paid a shit load of extra money for 'potential'.[/QUOTE]

What else do you expect to play Blu Ray discs other then Blu Ray players? By your definition something like a video tape would be a proprietary format because it only works in VCRs. Several computers already have Blu Ray players and burners in them as well. I hate the idea of both formats (no enchanced convience from either which is what drives the market, not quality: see casettes, iPods, cell phones, etc), but your arguments against Blu Ray just seem asinine.

[quote name='furyk']What else do you expect to play Blu Ray discs other then Blu Ray players? By your definition something like a video tape would be a proprietary format because it only works in VCRs. Several computers already have Blu Ray players and burners in them as well. I hate the idea of both formats (no enchanced convience from either which is what drives the market, not quality: see casettes, iPods, cell phones, etc), but your arguments against Blu Ray just seem asinine.[/QUOTE]

Is a VHS not a proprietary format? It can only be used in a VHS player and it won the cassette wars.

While other companies support Blu Ray (Dell and the other mentioned) that does not mean it will succeed. With Sony loosing $300 on every PS3 sold, they are taking a major hit hoping BR catches on. If Blu Ray fails...Sony is in deep shit. They WILL push this, which is a good thing because prices of BR and HD discs will come down to compete.

Now I need to search CL for a used PS3...some kid is bound to be pissed he got a PS3 and not a Wii.

bread's done
Back