UMD = Mini Disc??

s3v3n777

CAGiversary!
As my previous post stated I bought a PSP and I noticed something funny. When a game is loading on the PSP, it makes the same noises my Mini Disc player makes when loading the Discs. In fact, the loading contraption looks a hell of a lot like my Mini Disc loading slot as well! And they said Mini-Discs weren't going anywhere. Ha! Sony sure proved us wrong. lol. Has anyone else noticed this striking similarity? (Granted, I'm probably the only person in the US with a MD player).

No definitely not. A minidisc holds ~300 megabytes..... no where near enough to hold the PSP's games + various pre-recorded cutscenes. So the PSP might use the same size, but the way data is stored is different, more compact, in order to hold several gigabytes.

BTW, how does the PSP disc compare to the Cube's disc? Larger? Smaller?

troy

Actually GameCube is 1.5GB, UMD is 1.8GB
GameCube is a bigger Disc but holds less data.
But remeber a UMD isn't just a Mini-DVD its a whole new format.

I know the UMD isn't a MD, but I just thought it was funny how similar the two are. I was trying to say it seems to me like a glorified MD. I know the new MDs can hold more than 300MB. In fact, they hold 1GB.

[quote name='CapAmerica']Actually GameCube is 1.5GB, UMD is 1.8GB
GameCube is a bigger Disc but holds less data.[/QUOTE]

GameCube only uses the second layer. It it used both layers, it would be ~3.2 gigabytes.

Does UMD use the newer blue-light LEDs?

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']Does UMD use the newer blue-light LEDs?[/QUOTE]
LED? The PSP uses red, green, and orange LEDs for the power, wifi, and ms indicators.

The UMD is read by a laser.

[quote name='Quackzilla']LED? The PSP uses red, green, and orange LEDs for the power, wifi, and ms indicators.

The UMD is read by a laser.[/QUOTE]

I tihnk he was talking about a blue laser, and the answer is no, The next gen hd-dvd and bluray systems are going to be the first for consoles

bread's done
Back