UMD movie question

Maxwell31

CAGiversary!
I put this on the EB/Gamestop thread but most likely won't get help since it's an older thread.

I just received my order for three UMD's I ordered and noticed there all shrink wrapped. Anytime I got UMD's from them they were cellophane wrapped. Did I get used movies? One UMD has the security stickers (The replacement killers) and it's shrink wrapped, the others (Ultimate avengers and Young guns) are just shrink wrapped but with a second bar code stickered over the original. I called EB and was told that if I ordered new they should be but it's up to the packers discreation, whatever that meant?

If anybody can help it would be great and thanks in advance.

A lot of UMD's are packaged liked that. It was probably just reshrinkwrapped because the original wrapping was damaged. In the end, does it really matter? They're pretty cheap as is even used and you're not losing anything quality or value wise.

I got the same thing with a couple of recent orders. It pisses me off to no end to get sold a repack, but in this case I tested out the UMDs and decided to keep them because they were so cheap. Doesn't endear EB/GS to me much, though.

[quote name='sandman007']A lot of UMD's are packaged liked that. It was probably just reshrinkwrapped because the original wrapping was damaged. In the end, does it really matter? They're pretty cheap as is even used and you're not losing anything quality or value wise.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest it does mean something to me and as you see, another poster as well. My theory is that if I pay for new that's what I want is new. That's what I ordered and pay for is "new" not used or new, repackaged, stuff. I am going to keep them but I really hate when places do that.

Again, thanks people for the help!

I ordered 13 of the UMD movies this passed week. 6 of them didn't have the security stickers. 4 of them had the barcode stickers covering them, but then again, all 4 of the DVDs were from Lionsgate (AKA Artisan). So perhaps with the sales of UMDs not doing so hot 9 months down the line of the PSP's release, they may have re-branded them with new UPCs to clearance them out.

Now, my main problem with MY UMD movies were that almost none of them were in the placeholder when I opened the case. Of the 13 I got, the first 10 were LOOSE in the case! It wasn't til the 11th one where the UMD was actually secured in the placeholder. And more than 1/2 of the loose UMDs had their shells scratched to hell. I still haven't even opened the last 2 to check.

Either Sony did a really sloppy job of constructing their cases, or EB/Gamestop has a serious problem with how they handle them at the warehouse. But just for fun, the other night, I opened one of them on camera in an experiment to see what I would find. It's one of the Artisan ones missing the security stickers, with the new barcode sticker.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=71102

BTW... my brother stopped by the local EBGames here, which a few years ago burned me with selling me a used copy of a game as new, then denied it when I asked for a refund, and refused to give me one until I checked with ANOTHER EBGames store to see about swapping them out! Regardless, he stopped in there and told me that they had ZERO new copies, and all the games that were part of the sale were empty used cases in a bin, and being kept in little paper sleeves behind the counter.

Bogus.

I'm really starting to despise EBGames.

[quote name='spooie_redux']I ordered 13 of the UMD movies this passed week. 6 of them didn't have the security stickers. 4 of them had the barcode stickers covering them, but then again, all 4 of the DVDs were from Lionsgate (AKA Artisan). So perhaps with the sales of UMDs not doing so hot 9 months down the line of the PSP's release, they may have re-branded them with new UPCs to clearance them out.

Now, my main problem with MY UMD movies were that almost none of them were in the placeholder when I opened the case. Of the 13 I got, the first 10 were LOOSE in the case! It wasn't til the 11th one where the UMD was actually secured in the placeholder. And more than 1/2 of the loose UMDs had their shells scratched to hell. I still haven't even opened the last 2 to check.

Either Sony did a really sloppy job of constructing their cases, or EB/Gamestop has a serious problem with how they handle them at the warehouse. But just for fun, the other night, I opened one of them on camera in an experiment to see what I would find. It's one of the Artisan ones missing the security stickers, with the new barcode sticker.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=71102

BTW... my brother stopped by the local EBGames here, which a few years ago burned me with selling me a used copy of a game as new, then denied it when I asked for a refund, and refused to give me one until I checked with ANOTHER EBGames store to see about swapping them out! Regardless, he stopped in there and told me that they had ZERO new copies, and all the games that were part of the sale were empty used cases in a bin, and being kept in little paper sleeves behind the counter.

Bogus.

I'm really starting to despise EBGames.[/QUOTE]

I've had the same problem with the UMD's loose in there holders as well. Also noticed you had a few movies shrink wrapped as well. The one you opened in your vid was like what I got, shrink wrapped and a new barcode over the old one. I guess there is not a hell of a lot to do and at least I made out with two free movies from the deal. Just wish EB/Gamestop would get there shit straight.

Were any of the movies messed up as a result of them being loose in there case?

Of the shrinkwrapped movies I received, almost all of them have cosmetic scratching on the back sides - likely from bouncing all over the case while being handled and shipped. All work so far.

Gamestop/EB still blow balls for selling me used stuff as new.

Well, I just got the UMDs in the mail 2 nights ago, and haven't had a chance to try them all out yet, but of the ones I have tried, all work fine.

I'm sure, ultimately, they'll all be fine. The one good thing about the UMDs is that the "shell" the discs are in, will take 99% of the force of any scratches if they happen, so the disc itself will remain in tact.

Ditto here. Ordered 4 - three had security stickers; one none. Three were loose in the case (and scratched); one not. All played fine.

Sure, we hate EB...but we still buy from them, don't we? At $5, it's hard to say no.

Truthfully, after the two fuck ups on my last two orders, I'm done with them. Way too much hassle for some movies I'll watch maybe once or twice. Plus, I never liked the fact that they try to pass off merchandise that has been taken out of it's packaging as new.

bread's done
Back