Un-Official PSP Launch Price So It Really Doesn't Matter. Thanks GCAdvanced.

I will say the same I said there.

$350 is sick, but still people will buy it. I don't know why through. If you want to play PS2 games on the go, buy the new PStwo and one of those screens and a battery pack for the same price, if not cheaper. That way you can play them on the go or at home.

Great news for Nintendo through. The max a system should cost is $300 unless it's superb advance tech. But all this is is outdated PS2 tech.

"...but the price is likely to have been influenced by the MP3 player and DVD player functionality of the portable system. "

Well, at least they dont have thier facts straight...

I for one do not understand why a portable would need to be as powerful as a PS2 in the first place; is there such thing as too much detail for a small screen? Maybe I'm getting too old (26), but my eyes get worn out by a detailed 2D game on GBA after awhile. I ended up getting a GB Player for my Cube so I could enjoy games like Astro Boy Omega Factor. I can't imagine staring at a detailed 3D game on a small screen like that for 2-3 hours.

It's atually designed better than the PS2. Developers have said so already, but yeah 350 is pretty steap, they're really going to have some kick ass games that arnt all copies of existing games and seriously push the digital video player. plus they battery life will have to be a lot better than the estimates. (they have that new digital music play with a 20 hours battery, if thats even remotly true I hope they;re using the technology for the PSP)

The pstwo can't be played on a train even with a mobile monitor and battery. if anything its for stays at hotels or bringing it to a Lan party.

If I recall it was also supposed to have wireless abilities and be able to video out to TV but I'm not sure.

Lastly the DS and the PSP are still aimed at completly different markets the question is which of the two will more likely decide to pay the money for it early on.

I think the PSP has serious problems ahead of it but it would be a good thing if certain people would stop referencing it as if it were just a portable PS2. It isn't. It's an entirely separate platform. The only significant thing it has in common with the PS2 is the MIPS ISA. By that rationale a GameBoy is a portable CP/M system.

It also drives me up the wall when they refer to the video playback as DVD quality. DVD specifies a full NTSC/PAL resolutuion. The PSP has considerably less than that. We're talking over a third difference in addressable pixels. The PSP gains a little from being digital end to end but these are still far short of NTSC frames.

The system is looking impressive in a general sense but I cannot imagine having that much money to blow on a portable any time soon.

[quote name='Wshakspear']"...but the price is likely to have been influenced by the MP3 player and DVD player functionality of the portable system. "

Well, at least they dont have thier facts straight...[/quote]

Nooooooo, where did your kick ass cat avatar go?!!?! Bring the cat back please it's cool.

I wonder if this price is Real. Well this just makes me go out and buy a DS for 149 this xmas even more. 2 DS or 1 PSP lol good luck selling it sony. Then again if it comes out in short supply im sure some sucker will pay 500 for it on ebay

so this thing doesn't have a hard drive but will read media discs that hold 1.8 gigs of data (mp3 data in my mind). My question is... would this be a good substitution of an ipod. What I mean is... will I be able to burn media and play it on my psp? will I have to have a special dvdr? curious.

[quote name='pimpinc333'][quote name='Wshakspear']"...but the price is likely to have been influenced by the MP3 player and DVD player functionality of the portable system. "

Nooooooo, where did your kick ass cat avatar go?!!?! Bring the cat back please it's cool.[/quote]

When Shaun of the Dead leaves theaters :)

Te thing that bugged me is that the medium itself IS NOT dvd...you wont be able to throw in a DVD and watch it...only specially made discs

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='pimpinc333'][quote name='Wshakspear']"...but the price is likely to have been influenced by the MP3 player and DVD player functionality of the portable system. "

Nooooooo, where did your kick ass cat avatar go?!!?! Bring the cat back please it's cool.[/quote]

When Shaun of the Dead leaves theaters :)

Te thing that bugged me is that the medium itself IS NOT dvd...you wont be able to throw in a DVD and watch it...only specially made discs[/quote]

OK but im holding you to that. lol

I deffinitely dont trust this site, I believe it when its on one more trustworthy. Still if it is $350 I'll probably be holding off buying it for a long time.

Sony can only hope to succeed with this if they pull a 'Seinfeld,' which is to say they stick by the product through a couple years of mediocre sales until it builds an audience. In this case it will require price drops until it becomes more competitive.

It's possible this could eventually work out if Sony is willing to float the investment for several years. By the time the PSP is down to a much more enticing $200 there will be an equally powerful competitor from Nintendo and possibly Microsoft but Sony will have a big advantage in a large existing library.

It could work but I expect a lot of stockholders to not see it that way.

Interestingly enough, the article says that this news is confirmed by Gamespot, yet I see no mention of it on their website. Can anyone find any other sources that can confirm this info?

For what it's worth, two points of interest:

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot
POSTED: 09/25/04 06:22 PM PST

Rumor #3: The PSP will cost 33,000 yen--approximately $300.

Source: UK game site SPOnG.

The official story: "Official pricing for the PSP has not been announced, and any information in this regard is only speculation," a Sony spokesperson said.

What we heard: The SPOnG article attributed the price to a statement by SCEE Germany Managing Director Manfred Gerdes, but did not say where he said it or in what context. Regardless, Sony officials have been aggressively denying the comments attributed to Gerdes, contacting numerous online media outlets to say "we appreciate you not reporting on and perpetuating this incorrect information on your Web site." However, a $300 price point for the PSP is in tune with numerous analyst predictions, which could mean that Sony's PR effort is more damage control than debunking. Then again, maybe not.

Bogus or not bogus?: Officially bogus--until Sony says otherwise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming the Article is correct. it says this info comes from Gamspot and is stributed to the tokyo game show, I just checked the site and it has no big news reports flashing about the price anywhere I can see. But even if it DID come from TGS the price is probably a conversion from the Yen which dosent always mean that it's the actual american price, just the Dollar equivolent. The japanese are notorious for buying products they deem to be advanced over the competition (Assuming they;re japanese products which is why the xbox didnt beat the PS2 there) which means THEY will likely buy a crap load of PSPs which, intern, will help sony to lower the US price to a point under 300 (but probably not by much).

Now of course by the time I finish typing this there'll probably be 10 new posts with information which invalidated or enforces this thought but at the time this is how I saw it.

[quote name='Wshakspear']
Te thing that bugged me is that the medium itself IS NOT dvd...you wont be able to throw in a DVD and watch it...only specially made discs[/quote]

Also you will only be able to buy discs that are mass produced, they aren't releasing the hardware and software to write your own discs...

I think we'll be seeing a Virtual Boy type flop if this $350 price point and the rumored 2-3 hour battery life are what it "boasts" for launch specifications.

Assuming that the price is accurate...wow. Just wow.

Sony obviously won't go under if the PSP doesn't succeed, but I don't think it has a chance in hell of that happening at this point. The system itself is too expensive, and I haven't heard anything refuting the $50 price point for games.

On top of the pricing, we still don't know anything about battery life, a very major concern here.

This could be the portable equivalent of the Neo-Geo: great system and great exclusive titles, but no players because it's all too damn expensive...

I find the MP3 aspect highly dubious. You won't be able to burn your own UMDs so the only way to get your existing library into the PSP is via Memory Stick. If I wanted a flash card audio player I can get one for $50 that uses formats with a lower cost per megabyte. Unless they offer a DVR connection like Microsoft is doing with their Media Center and portable player standard (which could evolve into game players) the video playback option on the PSP is very questionable business, too.

If the PSP does not succeed as a game player first and foremost, then those other features will not be enough to put it over the top.

[quote name='epobirs']I'm not finding verification of this anywhere online. It should be the big story of the day on game related sites.[/quote]

Exactly. Until another news source proves me wrong, I say this is :bs:

Wow, $350. I believe that it may drop after the holidays if it does not sell. There is always a market for expensive hardware. WHen the PS2 was new and $300, I didn't buy it, but alot of my friends did. I bought it when it came bundled with GT3 about a year later for $300. The reason I paid that much was that there was nothing else like it anywhere.

Now, this PSP will have mostly ports of existing games. When this system starts to have PSP exclusives like a new Final Fantasy or a PSP only "real" MGS adventure, then MAYBE it will be worth it. But like I stated above, there will be people who will buy it at $350, then people will buy it at $300, and so on. There are people who are waiting for the PStwo to come out to finally buy a PS2. People are patient, and so is Sony. THey know what they are doing. THis price point is for people who go buy $400 Ipods and such.

Anyway, until the PSP or DS get exclusive must have AAA titles, I don't see any reason to spend your money on either. Unless you don't own a Gamecube or PS2.

Wow, I think is is my longest post here on CAG.

[quote name='epobirs']
It's possible this could eventually work out if Sony is willing to float the investment for several years. By the time the PSP is down to a much more enticing $200 there will be an equally powerful competitor from Nintendo and possibly Microsoft but Sony will have a big advantage in a large existing library.
[/quote]

And the next GB will have a library of over 2,000 games by then so what is your point?

Three reasons right now why to get a DS...

1. Metriod Prime multi.
2. Mario Kart online.

And the most important one...

3. New Super Mario Bros.!!!!!

If this price is true, they'll definatly need Video out to TV to make even remotely attractive... unless it's true that the playback cant equal TV resolution... which techically is not necessarily so, since they had video screens to show output from the PSP at E3, even if the PSP's were mock ups the tv screens still showed an approximation of they were doing, I'd had to think at worse there may be a black box around the tv image.

If this price is accurate, SHIT! I still want a PSP, just don't want to pay $350 bucks for it. Plus games will probally fun for $40 each. damn. I'm still not getting a DS though.

hahahaha... nintendo will be laughing all the way to the bank!!! Seriously most parents will not buy that for their kids! WTF... I will not even spend that much on myself. For $350 I could get a PS2 and a large amount of games. I already have a GC and XBox.

They will FAIL!!! I picture it doing about as well as the Sega Game Gear.

[quote name='kaji7p56']Wow, $350. I believe that it may drop after the holidays if it does not sell. There is always a market for expensive hardware. WHen the PS2 was new and $300, I didn't buy it, but alot of my friends did. I bought it when it came bundled with GT3 about a year later for $300. The reason I paid that much was that there was nothing else like it anywhere. [/quote]

Huh??? the GC and Xbox were out then! And both superior to the PS2.

[quote name='Wshakspear']"...but the price is likely to have been influenced by the MP3 player and DVD player functionality of the portable system. "

I'm surprised you didn't jump all over the fact that the source for this article was a GameSpot article that does not exist. In this report, they specifically said that the price was confirmed by GameSpot, but, after scouring GS's PSP site and all of their TGS news, there is no sign of PSP pricing details. Not to say that I don't see news like this coming out soon, but, for now, I think it's still uncertain what the price would be.
And I highly doubt that Sony would launch any piece of hardware, portable or otherwise, at a higher price than $300, at least for now.

I have to admit a little GTA3, GTA Vice City, or GTA San Andreas on release would make me a bit more willing to pay an ass-load of money.

Okay I'm seriously about to call bullshit on this GCadvance article. there is absolutly NO confirmation on ANY other site yet. The gaminghorizon.net article is from 9/22 and just referances the same thing I talked about in my previous post that stated a price sony has already denied on 9/26.

I repeat no other game site is confirming anything but the price sony has denied.

[quote name='jughead']so this thing doesn't have a hard drive but will read media discs that hold 1.8 gigs of data (mp3 data in my mind). My question is... would this be a good substitution of an ipod. What I mean is... will I be able to burn media and play it on my psp? will I have to have a special dvdr? curious.[/quote]

NO!! Sony has said that you will not be able to make your own discs....

I assume you will have to have a SONY memory stick with songs on it.

[quote name='Indiana'][quote name='kaji7p56']Wow, $350. I believe that it may drop after the holidays if it does not sell. There is always a market for expensive hardware. WHen the PS2 was new and $300, I didn't buy it, but alot of my friends did. I bought it when it came bundled with GT3 about a year later for $300. The reason I paid that much was that there was nothing else like it anywhere. [/quote]

Huh??? the GC and Xbox were out then! And both superior to the PS2.[/quote]

GC and Xbox weren't out quite yet - the GT3 pack came out in August, and the Cube and Xbox weren't out until Nov.
Although the GT3 pack was more than $300, if I remember correctly. It was like $320 or $330. If it was the same price as the hardware alone, I would have bought it at the time, but instead I bought a regular PS2, since I had no desire for GT3.

[quote name='Indiana'][quote name='kaji7p56']Wow, $350. I believe that it may drop after the holidays if it does not sell. There is always a market for expensive hardware. WHen the PS2 was new and $300, I didn't buy it, but alot of my friends did. I bought it when it came bundled with GT3 about a year later for $300. The reason I paid that much was that there was nothing else like it anywhere. [/quote]

Well actually I meant game-wise. There was nothing like GT3 out. I also wanted the upcoming (at the time) FFX and MGS2. So Sony was like "Hey, if you want these cool games, guess what? Gotta buy a PS2 sucka!". Now with the PSP all the games they have are on the PS2 and look better, so unless you don't own a PS2 or GC there is no reason to buy them.

ALso, when the GT3 bundle came out, I think it was the FALL and when the GC came out I think it was WINTER, so there was nothing like it out there (not counting Dreamcast).

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='Indiana'][quote name='kaji7p56']Wow, $350. I believe that it may drop after the holidays if it does not sell. There is always a market for expensive hardware. WHen the PS2 was new and $300, I didn't buy it, but alot of my friends did. I bought it when it came bundled with GT3 about a year later for $300. The reason I paid that much was that there was nothing else like it anywhere. [/quote]

GC and Xbox weren't out quite yet - the GT3 pack came out in August, and the Cube and Xbox weren't out until Nov.
Although the GT3 pack was more than $300, if I remember correctly. It was like $320 or $330. If it was the same price as the hardware alone, I would have bought it at the time, but instead I bought a regular PS2, since I had no desire for GT3.[/quote]

I think I got it at a place called Wizard of the Coast at the Beverly center Mall. THey had it for $299.99 and I jumped all over THAT! But since I had to buy a memory card it was about $320. But the bundle WAS $299.99, I remember ecause I never went in there but someone told me that they had it cheap. When I got there, they only had 3 left and were selling the COnsole by itself for $299.99. I guess I got lucky.

I think one of the things they're counting on in their launch is not to have games that are EXACTLY the same as PS2 games, some are approximations or have the same theme but arnt a complete copy.

They want you to buy BOTH games rather than just one OR the other.

[quote name='David85'][quote name='epobirs']
[/quote]

And the next GB will have a library of over 2,000 games by then so what is your point?
[/quote]

The point being that platforms live and die by the software that drives the current iteration, not yesterday's games. A phenomenon like Pokemon is rare to extremity. As a non-Pokemon player what compelled me to buy a GBA as my first GameBoy was the products designed exclusively for the GBA and not for earlier models. Those few GB games that interested me in the past (Donkey Kong, Zelda) worked fine on the Super Game Boy in my SNES without eyestrain.

I like backward compatiblity just fine. I've spent almost equal amounts of time playing PS1 games on my PS2 as I have with native games. But I already had a PS1 when the PS2 came out. Without the promise of it being a worthy native platform I would never have bought it. The same is true for any future GameBoy. It has to justify its existence with new games that make use of its strengths. Otherwise, why bother releasing it when they could just keep driving the price down until third publishers start giving them away to insure people have the means to play their games.

[quote name='Alpha2']I think one of the things they're counting on in their launch is not to have games that are EXACTLY the same as PS2 games, some are approximations or have the same theme but arnt a complete copy.

They want you to buy BOTH games rather than just one OR the other.[/quote]

Then explain GT4 and GT4: Portable :roll:

[quote name='cyberlian']I have to admit a little GTA3, GTA Vice City, or GTA San Andreas on release would make me a bit more willing to pay an ass-load of money.[/quote]

That's just sad. :roll:

[quote name='David85'][quote name='epobirs']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Nintendo has left GB and GBC compatibility out of the DS and there is a likelihood they'll do the same for future GameBoys. This reduces cost and has an even greater motivation. GBC product is effectively no longer present in the retail channel, thus there is no longer any pressure from retailers to support it and keep it moving. Now that Nintendo has GBA native versions of Pokemon there is no longer any need to support earlier GB software from their perspective either.

So a future GB product probably cannot point to the original GB and GBC libraries as reasons to buy it.

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='Alpha2']I think one of the things they're counting on in their launch is not to have games that are EXACTLY the same as PS2 games, some are approximations or have the same theme but arnt a complete copy.

They want you to buy BOTH games rather than just one OR the other.[/quote]

Then explain GT4 and GT4: Portable :roll:[/quote]

I parry your GT4:potable and counter with Metal Gear Acid.

The the point is I doubt GT4:portable will be the exact same game just like the portable Armored Core wont exactly be a copy of what ever the next AC game is on the PS2. They;ll be scaled down or have play and story adjusted to not be the same games.

bread's done
Back