Uncharted 3 GOTY and The Last of Us PS3 Console Bundle and 12 GB PS3 Standalone - $199.99 and $259.99

R3DNate

CAGiversary!
This is the latest new PS3 SKU I saw at Best Buy today.
PlayStation 3 (12GB) Bundle with Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us Games:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/playstation-3-12gb-bundle-with-uncharted-3-and-the-last-of-us-games/9999209200050003.p?id=pcmprd208100050003&skuId=9999209200050003

Only $259.98

Also I found this one today: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SONY+COMPUTER+ENTNMT+AMERICA+-+PS3+12GB+HARDWARE/1460262.p;jsessionid=8C1FCB3CBB523772244A7A08F7CA0D35.bbolsp-app02-157?id=1219052019956&skuId=1460262&st=12GB_PS3_or_PS_Vita_$199&cp=1&lp=2
PS3 12 GB for $199.99.

There is also a sale on any Vita for $199.99: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+PlayStation+Vita+(Wi-Fi)/2238218.p?id=1218315553269&skuId=2238218&st=12GB_PS3_or_PS_Vita_$199&cp=1&lp=1
The only ones that seem to be available are the Playstation Plus bundle for $240 and the normal wifi one. Everything else says out of stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
12gb seems unnaturally low.

I would just get a PS3 and buy TLoU, and only spend like 10-15 dollars more than this bundle.

I really can't see how a 12GB will work for the PS3. I like mine a lot more than I do my 360 now, but even so, the thing takes up a LOT more memory than the 360 does. If you're going to go digital, or even a game with a lot of updates, that won't even hold a game at 12GB.

I thought it was a joke/typo when the 12GB listings starting coming up.  I mean, really? I might of understood this back at launch in 05 but now? Completely useless unless it was on clearance and you replaced the HDD

I thought it was a joke/typo when the 12GB listings starting coming up. I mean, really? I might of understood this back at launch in 05 but now? Completely useless unless it was on clearance and you replaced the HDD
You can replace the HDD. A lot of people got spare one laying around.

When i first heard about this 12gb PS3 i thought it was a joke, but i guess Sony needs something to compete with the xbox 4gb model.  But i think the price is still a little too high too compete.

Gosha said:
Don't buy that. I don't know how reliable that is but I would literally put a 1 tb western digital in mine if I was going to do that. I had a 750 gb and it lastest a long time. Western Digital is the best in hard drives. I wouldn't put in a cheap Toshiba. I think for a 1 tb 2.5" WD was like $75 on amazon last time I looked. Now if you buy a cheaper Xbox 360 with the 4 GB in it, you have to pay an arm and a leg just to get a 250 gb or 320 gb whatever they sell their hard drives at now. :(

Don't buy that. I don't know how reliable that is but I would literally put a 1 tb western digital in mine if I was going to do that. I had a 750 gb and it lastest a long time. Western Digital is the best in hard drives. I wouldn't put in a cheap Toshiba. I think for a 1 tb 2.5" WD was like $75 on amazon last time I looked. Now if you buy a cheaper Xbox 360 with the 4 GB in it, you have to pay an arm and a leg just to get a 250 gb or 320 gb whatever they sell their hard drives at now. :(
like rjejr stated, i think folks are better off getting the GTAV PS3 bundle which wiill release in a month. You get a 500 gb harddrive which is about $50ish and a $60 game that will likely retain that price until the holidays. And if for some reason you don't want GTAV, I'm pretty sure almost everyone would be willing to trade the Last of US for GTAV around that time.

I heard for the type of hard drive to be used in the PS3, it must be 5400RPM (sata ii) type and not the 7200RPM type.

Is that correct?

If you spend $200 to get this system only to replace the HDD aren't you better off just getting a 500GB for $249? Why do all the work?

And for $269 you can get 500Gb and GTAV:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+PlayStation+3+(500GB)+Grand+Theft+Auto+V+Bundle/1461012.p?id=1219052013515&skuId=1461012
Agreed. UC3 can be had for $10 these days (or free on PS+), and the Last of Us is showing signs of coming down in price. The 500GB GTA V bundle is a much better deal. I don't really understand Sony's logic with releasing this version of the console.

Sony is just trying to offer an alternative to Xbox 360 4gb. So Ps3 12gb is better than the 4 gb Xbox 360 at the same price 199.00.

12gb seems unnaturally low.

I would just get a PS3 and buy TLoU, and only spend like 10-15 dollars more than this bundle.
Where are you getting a PS3 for $200 or just over? Unless you're counting those NewEgg/Buy eBay bundle deals for the Assassin's Creed III PS3 bundles or Best Buy's $220 Uncharted 3 GOTY bundle they did, I have not seen a single PS3 that isn't bundled in some way, shape or form and under $250 as of late.

I mean, Kmart has TLOU this week for $40. But as I said, there have been NO standalone PS3's or ones cheaper than two and a half bills lately that I can remember besides those on eBay.

You guys are overthinking this deal it's for the casuals who won't play many games but may be enticed to get some exclusives and/or PS+ down the line. At that point a HD would come into play but along the way they get some overpriced sales. Plus these will bd $150ish on BF or cheaper & that's good way to get a playstation 3/4 into as many households as possible.

I thought it was a joke/typo when the 12GB listings starting coming up. I mean, really? I might of understood this back at launch in 05 but now? Completely useless unless it was on clearance and you replaced the HDD
Yeah. I would look at this if it was $120-150 (not counting any games). Then it would at least be priced right to add your own 500GB or larger drive.

I wonder if there's any performance benefit to the 12GB memory? I assume if you add the HDD the OS stays on that 12GB storage? That might increase my value of it slightly, but still not anywhere close to $200.

WRXKayaker said:
Agreed. UC3 can be had for $10 these days (or free on PS+), and the Last of Us is showing signs of coming down in price. The 500GB GTA V bundle is a much better deal. I don't really understand Sony's logic with releasing this version of the console.
Game of the Year Edition is not free through Playstation Plus, so you would have to buy all that dlc separate. The game is around $20-30. Usually most places has it for $30. The Last of Us is $59.99. I don't understand your logic. It's not a great deal, but you're saving some money. I think they're prepping for that $200 price drop 12 GB. What's Nintendo's Logic in dropping in only an 8gb non-upgradeable hard drive in the Wii U and charging $300 for that crap. Microsoft's $200 model only has 4gb in it. They all do this dude so don't say Sony. :(

cagfansub said:
I heard for the type of hard drive to be used in the PS3, it must be 5400RPM (sata ii) type and not the 7200RPM type.
Is that correct?
That is correct. You want 2.5" SATA 5400 RPM
That is what it should have in its specs.

Game of the Year Edition is not free through Playstation Plus, so you would have to buy all that dlc separate. The game is around $20-30. Usually most places has it for $30. The Last of Us is $59.99. I don't understand your logic. It's not a great deal, but you're saving some money. I think they're prepping for that $200 price drop 12 GB. What's Nintendo's Logic in dropping in only an 8gb non-upgradeable hard drive in the Wii U and charging $300 for that crap. Microsoft's $200 model only has 4gb in it. They all do this dude so don't say Sony. :(
Actually The Last Of Us is $39.99 this week at Kmart. But it was well worth the $60 when I bought it originally.

Let me clarify. I understand their logic of releasing a model to compete with the 4GB Xbox 360, I just don't understand them doing it at this price point, and with this game package. They could have at least priced it at $220-$230 to make it a deal. Not to mention the majority of their target audience with this model will be the parents who buy their kids the 4 GB Xbox 360 (i.e. the cheapest option). Why include two Mature games?

I dont like the 12GB model but it is a SSD.

If its flash based (replacing the standard hdd of the past) how can u upgrade the hard drive? Flash drives (SSD) are hella expensive to upgrade to 500gb !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
WRXKayaker said:
Let me clarify. I understand their logic of releasing a model to compete with the 4GB Xbox 360, I just don't understand them doing it at this price point, and with this game package. They could have at least priced it at $220-$230 to make it a deal. Not to mention the majority of their target audience with this model will be the parents who buy their kids the 4 GB Xbox 360 (i.e. the cheapest option). Why include two Mature games?
It's Probably because both games are made by Naughty Dog and they're two of some the best selling PS3 Games Ever. The one game is T For Teen though. U3 is. You would think they'd throw like a 3 Month Subscription to Playstation Plus. That way the person will get free games for 3 Months and then they'll have to Subscribe longer in order to play the free games they get and get more free games in the future. Also, probably the best thing for them was to just sell it for $250 because you know Sony is never going to sell this many items for $200, but that would be awesome if it did.

Is that correct?

uh... no. that is not correct. u can put a 7200rpm hdd if u want.

i put a

Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ 2.5" Solid State Hybrid Drive

i bought this from newegg cuz someone on cag posted this.

although loading times were a bit faster, the difference wasnt as big as i thought it be.

i recommend ppl just sticking with a 5400rpm cuz the price/speed difference isnt worth it.

this part is just my theory but ppl should try to get a 5400rpm that has a 16mb cache.

I wonder if there's any performance benefit to the 12GB memory? I assume if you add the HDD the OS stays on that 12GB storage? That might increase my value of it slightly, but still not anywhere close to $200.
This is what I'm wondering. It might be nice to have the OS on the 12GB SSD in addition to being able to add a 500GB-1TB drive. Either way these will be $150 or less on BF offering a more spur of the moment purchase then $230-$270 of some of the current bundles.

just copped this yesterday, $45, free shipping on the DOTD.. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canvio+Slim+500GB+External+USB+3.0/2.0+Portable+Hard+Drive/7732058.p?id=1218858759389&skuId=7732058&st=HDTD105XS3D1&cp=1&lp=1#tab=specifications

tried google but got lost in the massive results..

i don't have my A+ cert yet, so go easy on me, WINK

1. So how do I CLEANLY crack this open to get the pearl..i mean hard drive out?

2. Best website for directions on performing the swap?

3. Best website or directions for backing up the hardrive so I can restore all my ish on the replacement?

Thanks in advance!

oNe

If you spend $200 to get this system only to replace the HDD aren't you better off just getting a 500GB for $249? Why do all the work?
And for $269 you can get 500Gb and GTAV:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+PlayStation+3+(500GB)+Grand+Theft+Auto+V+Bundle/1461012.p?id=1219052013515&skuId=1461012
Incorrect because for an extra 50 to 60 bucks you can go for 1tb not a measly 500gb. Also many people have HDDs lying around. This isn't the 360 where you have to buy their dumb proprietary overpriced HDD.

bread's done
Back