Universal Controller Adapter $20 reg. $13 @ B&M Walmart

Only system this would be good for IMO is the Xbox. The wavebird is an excellent controller. I wouldn't use anything else on the GC. Blasphemy I say!

I wish they had a converter to use GameCube controllers on XBox. I really like that controller (specifically the WaveBird).

Wow, IMO, the only system I would use this for would be the GCN. I don't think using a GCN controller on Xbox would work too well. Doesn't the GCN controller have fewer buttons? How would that work?

Not sure. IIRC, the Xbox controller has 4 buttons on top and two triggers. GC is similar. It has the 4 top buttons, two triggers, and the Z-button just above the right trigger.

Shipwreck: Have you used the Wavebird? It really is an awesome controller. I was a Dual Shock 2 fan until the Wavebird came out.

Xbox has 6 buttons on top (you're forgetting the white and black buttons).

I haven't used the Wavebird, but I just don't like the feel of the GCN controller in general. It's fine for some games, but I don't particularly like the different shaped buttons and the whole controller just feels to small to me. The Dual Shock also feels a little small to me as well and I don't like the position of the analog sticks. The Xbox S-controller is probably my overall favorite although I'm not completely satisfied with the position of the black and white buttons. I kind of wish they would have put just above the triggers. The S-controller is the most comfortable in my hand though.

Also, there is no "Back" button on the GCN controller so you would be missing 2 buttons in total if you were able to use it on Xbox. I don't know how they would be able to get around that because a lot of the games use all the buttons.

[quote name='shipwreck']Also, there is no "Back" button on the GCN controller so you would be missing 2 buttons in total if you were able to use it on Xbox. I don't know how they would be able to get around that because a lot of the games use all the buttons.[/quote]

you could use the z button as the back button

If you used the "z" button as the "Back" button, then you are still going to be short 2 buttons. The GCN controller doesn't have anything to use for the white and black buttons then. The PS2 and Xbox controllers have 2 more buttons than the GCN controller no matter how you look at it.

I'm not sure if the analog sticks on the GCN controllers have the push in buttons like the PS2 or Xbox controllers. I haven't played my GCN for some time and I don't remember playing a game that used that.

no, the cube doesnt have a "clicky" stick. They do have "clicky" L/R buttons though.

Anyways, if i had the money, id be getting this to try out to see if the PS2 Retrocon works with it. That way i could play Zelda II and not whine annoyingly at the controller

i have one of these for a while, and it works great. the only problem is that it doesnt work on my GameCube using a Retrocon controller ( i was so looking forward to using the NES style controller on a Nintendo system)...havent tested the Retrocon on an X-box yet. a standard PS2 controller seems to work flawlessly though.

I may have to get this. I hate playing my GBA games on my GC because the controller isn't too good for it.

I'm pretty sure they're making the Retrocons (those ate the SNES-style rectangle controllers with thumbsticks, right?) for the Xbox, maybe even GC. I saw an ad in a Gamestop B&M.

they do. At the moment im not sure where...but i know if anything they've offered them with the dance pads. So they are being made...

I tried two RetroCons... both generate endless cycles of "there is no controller plugged into socket 1" on most GC games when used via the controller convertor. Very odd.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Damn...now if they only had one of these babies for the PC, then I'd be happy for months. For the most part, PC gamepads blow.
[/quote]

I got one from radio shack and it works perfectly with most ps2 controllers. I think it was 19.99, but it may be less now if you can find it at all.

it's cat. # 26-247

[quote name='DavidDayton']I tried two RetroCons... both generate endless cycles of "there is no controller plugged into socket 1" on most GC games when used via the controller convertor. Very odd.[/quote]

i actually tried 3 Retrocons, but with the same results. i asume there is something different about the wiring somehow. if anyone tries one of those adapters that converts one to USB for the PC, let me know how it works, i still wanna try that too.

Thanks for the deal... I just ordered the Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the Gamecube, and realized that the PS controller is much better for sidescrolling games such as MM. I thought about getting it for the PS2 instead but I realized that GBA stuff could use a PS controller too.

Also, does anyone know how responsive the controller is when you're using the adapter? I'd kill myself if there was any lag during a MM boss fight.

bread's done
Back