Unknown Processor Revision Error

cruzfactor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I bought a Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and ECS K8M890M-M (V1.0A) mobo combo from Fry's and tried using it in a new PC I'm building. However, I'm getting this "Unknown Processor Revision" Error. I've searched online and it looks like I need to somehow update BIOS. From what I can tell on the ECS website, the BIOS update will only get the mobo compatible with a Athlon 64 X2 5200+. I really hope I don't need to buy another mobo to get this to work. Anybody ran into the same or similar problem?

I just got a combo from Fry's with an AMD 64 x2 4400+. Guess they still haven't figured out that problem. Time to pack it all up. For $8, I could have had them install the cpu there. But I wonder if they power up the system or if they just install it. Well, maybe they'll check out another processor for free.

I said "still haven't fixed it" because I say your join date of Nov 2003 and thought that was when you posted this. 'Cuz we all know there were dual core 64 bix processors back then :p

Read all the way through this first.

You have to create a bootable floppy disk (actually a bootable CD is possible and would also work). In the zip file you downloaded (061229.zip, probably) open it and go to the folder \afu\dos. In there is a .pdf that shows you steps on how to create the floppy. You'll probably need CD burning software like Nero or Roxio to make a CD bootable and follow their directions.

The whatever bootable thing you have, you need to copy the file the root of the zip file (E061229S.ROM) and then a dos program (\AFU\DOS\V4.08P) from the zip file over to the bootable disk/cd you have.

If you read their directions, you'll see that you may to change the BIOS protection jumper. But if you read the manual, you'll frustratingly find out they don't tell you where that jumper is. I can't help you there.

And so now you this everything is hunky dory and you're all ready to update the BIOS. Except one thing. You need a working computer to boot from the disk\cd and you're computer is ca-poot. So if you want to do this yourself, then you have to get an AMD processor that does work first, boot up the system with the bootdisk, update the bios, and then replace it with the new CPU that you wanted, and things will work.

So hopefully you live close to your Fry's, because you'll just have to take it back (unless you have an extra supprted socket AM2 CPU lying around).

I was all excited that I could fix it, until I realized that I can't fix it. So I have to take my back tomorrow. They said they would install the CPU and memory for me for $8. So maybe they'll do that for free tomorrow first to make sure they sell a product bundle that actually works together. Ugh!

So others may have an easy time finding this forum:

ECS K8M890M-M v1.0A
ECS K8M890M-Mv1.0A
ECS K8M890M-M 1.0A
ECS K8M890M-M (v1.0A)

Processor(s) installed in your system are of an unknown revision
05/29/06

ECS K8M890-M unknown revision
ECS K8M890-M doesn't boot
ECS K8M890-M port error
ECS K8M890-M fatal error
ECS K8M890-M checksum error