Unoffical Upgrade your PS3 HDD thread

[quote name='johnnypark']I'm upgrading my HDD in the next 24 hours and was hoping you guys could put my paranoia to rest.

All game saves, memory card saves (PS1, PS2), etc get backed up?

Game data (like custom levels in UT3), and all downloaded content or games, does not?

Dead Space had a free suit you could download before 10/31. It's no longer available in the PSN as far as I know, will I be able to re-download it from my list of downloaded content? If not, will it mess up my save game?

Thanks![/quote]

If you use your PS3's backup utility ....... it will basically copy absolutely everything. If all goes well, after you restore the backup on your new hardrive it should be exactly like your PS3 was before. The only difference is you should have a ton more free space.

EDIT: As for the Dead Space issue. Seeing as it copies everything that shouldn't be an issue, but I'm presuming you can re-download it too.

Got it out. For anyone in a similar situation in the future...

Lacking a power drill, I improvised. A nail file made 2 sides flat enough for some needle-nose pliers to get a good grip, and I twisted the bastard out. Didn't have a replacement but it seems firm enough with 3 screws, and its not like I move the PS3 around ever. Huzzah!

Just bought a drive off of newegg to upgrade my ps3.

And I'm bumping this thread so I don't need to search for it again. :)

Now to go to sears and get this guy (don't want to strip the screws):
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...drivers&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

All I need left is to get something to back up all the data and games.
My sisters new ipod, yea why not? :drool:

I like how helpful this thread (and the links in the op were). Thanks all.

320 here I come! 20 gigs, what a joke!

couple of questions...

i have the 40 GB PS3 but i only have about 14 GBs of stuff on it, according to the system info screen. will i be able to use my 16 GB ipod touch as a backup device. i only have 1 song on there, so i imagine there's plenty of free space.

also, if i can do that, how do i remove the backup data from my ipod once i've installed the new drive and put the backup data onto it.

[quote name='bendeco45']couple of questions...

i have the 40 GB PS3 but i only have about 14 GBs of stuff on it, according to the system info screen. will i be able to use my 16 GB ipod touch as a backup device. i only have 1 song on there, so i imagine there's plenty of free space.

also, if i can do that, how do i remove the backup data from my ipod once i've installed the new drive and put the backup data onto it.[/quote]

I think when you restore it, it also removes the data from the other source.

It sounds like the 16 gig would suffice, but how much is there already set aside?

thanks. i'll probably give it a whirl sometime in the next couple of days.
[quote name='Foo228']It sounds like the 16 gig would suffice, but how much is there already set aside?[/QUOTE]
not entirely sure, i wouldn't be surprised if there were only 13 GB available on the device. there are a couple of things i can delete off my PS3 though, so we'll see.

[quote name='bendeco45']thanks. i'll probably give it a whirl sometime in the next couple of days.

not entirely sure, i wouldn't be surprised if there were only 13 GB available on the device. there are a couple of things i can delete off my PS3 though, so we'll see.[/quote]
It doesn't hurt to delete game data (make sure it's not the save game data. :lol:) to lower the amount of space needed to backup. Just means you'll have to reinstall the games later.

Tagging this because I'll eventually upgrade my 80gb PS3.

This isn't really hard, is it? I am not very mechanical the most I can handle is a screwdriver.. :rofl:

[quote name='lilboo']Tagging this because I'll eventually upgrade my 80gb PS3.

This isn't really hard, is it? I am not very mechanical the most I can handle is a screwdriver.. :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Nope, open a slot, unscrew a screw, take out hard drive, unscrew four more screws, put new drive in the case where the old drive was, re-screw four screws back in, put it back in the PS3, screw one screw back in, and you're done.

This isn't really hard, is it? I am not very mechanical the most I can handle is a screwdriver.. :rofl:[/quote]

I wish I upgraded once I got my ps3. I recommend that notion for anyone as there would be less hassle and worries about deleting/missing things.

I've got minimal space (200ish mb on a 20 gig) due to psn games, ps1 games, and dlc.

But yea, it's seemingly very easy.

This isn't really hard, is it? I am not very mechanical the most I can handle is a screwdriver.. :rofl:[/quote]

Just make sure you get the right sized screwdriver. I'm not sure what size it is off hand, but I used one of the ones that came in my precision screwdriver set, which you can get at a dollar store for around a dollar.
I'm fairly certain most of the "ZOMG!1 I Srtipd teh skrews!!11" posts are because people used too big of a tool.

Here's a picture guide on how to upgrade the hard drive.

[quote name='mguiddy']Just make sure you get the right sized screwdriver. I'm not sure what size it is off hand, but I used one of the ones that came in my precision screwdriver set, which you can get at a dollar store for around a dollar.
I'm fairly certain most of the "ZOMG!1 I Srtipd teh skrews!!11" posts are because people used too big of a tool.

Here's a picture guide on how to upgrade the hard drive.[/quote]

Nice. I'll match your link with one to the screwdriver needed:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...drivers&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

just put a Western Digital 320GB took the 80 gig out What i want to know is why does it say 298 and not 300 sumthing thats over 20 gb gone where ??????? TIA

Edit Found out that its a ps3 issue NOt the HD Thanx anyways

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I just hammerred the shit out of the case, broke my old HDD probably, stuck in my new one, bent it in place and broke off some parts of the case, put it in my PS3 hoping for the best. And it worked.

[quote name='miyamotofreak']Okay so I just hammerred the shit out of the case, broke my old HDD probably, stuck in my new one, bent it in place and broke off some parts of the case, put it in my PS3 hoping for the best. And it worked.[/QUOTE]

For something that they made so easily accessible, why oh why did they make it so easy to strip the screws...I guess given the materials, taht's the way it is. Even if you have the right screwdriver, you can still strip them.

[quote name='miyamotofreak']Help! I don't what striping is but I think I may have done it to the last screw! Help![/QUOTE]

The 80GB HDD replacement is known for having difficulties due to overly tight screws. To avoid stripping them, take a pair of needle nose pliers and twist them. It may take a few minutes but it worked with a satisfying "twang" once the screws became loose.

If your HDD tray is broken, call Sony's customer service and they'll send you a new one (I heard some get it for free, others at a minimal charge).

Good luck getting your system up and running!

I ended up breaking the tray but I put it in and it works. It's tight enough that the HDD won't fall out either. SUCCESS!
Oh and for the record my 320 GB is already going quick (no vids or music yet either). Should have waited for a TB drive.

Just another tip that may help people NOT strip screws.
Don't be afraid to push "down" hard (to prevent the... "teeth" of the screwdriver from slipping out of the screw) when trying to break it loose.
Maybe this is common sense and everyone knows to do so, but just thought I'd say it.

[quote name='mguiddy']Just another tip that may help people NOT strip screws.
Don't be afraid to push "down" hard (to prevent the... "teeth" of the screwdriver from slipping out of the screw) when trying to break it loose.
Maybe this is common sense and everyone knows to do so, but just thought I'd say it.[/quote]

One more tip from someone who just had to replace the original drive after ps3 died (sending to Sony):

Use a strong, but slim set of pliers to losen the screws (slowly and one at a time) before ever attempting to losen them with the screw driver.

Something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100349369

I just replaced my 60GB drive with a 500GB drive. I didn't have any problems with the screws.

Also, I had purchased some shows (Sunny in Philadelphia) via PSN. I backed it all up and restored it and didn't have any problems with DRM. Just figured I'd add it in case someone else had questions about it - I remembered there being a reported problem with doing this -after- I purchased the shows. Maybe Sunny in Philadelphia doesn't have the 'Can't backup and restore' problem but it just all seemed to work for me.

[quote name='Brad Bishop']backed it all up and restored it and didn't have any problems with DRM. Just figured I'd add it in case someone else had questions about it - I remembered there being a reported problem with doing this -after- I purchased the shows. Maybe Sunny in Philadelphia doesn't have the 'Can't backup and restore' problem but it just all seemed to work for me.[/quote]

The DRM is only an issue if you are restoring to a different PS3. It's the same problem with SingStar songs. The PSN Video and SingStar songs will only work with the PS3 that they were downloaded on. If you change HDD that's fine, the problem arises usually when a PS3 dies they sent you a different refurb and now you can't access your shows/songs and have to go through hoops to get them to change it.

i tried to do the backup onto my 16 GB ipod touch, and the PS3 didn't recognize it when i plugged it in with the USB cable. am i doing something wrong, or is it just that particular device that i can't backup to?

I upgraded my HDD from a 40GB to a 250GB a while ago, for those who are debating on wether or not to do it. Go for it, HDD prices are getting cheaper and cheaper.

Was deleting some stuff today off the old 60GB classic and got to thinking about doing this. Do they make terabyte drives that'll fit the PS3 yet?

Well the limit is 500GB for a ps3 atm. Thats what I think might want to look into some sort of official site or something.

[quote name='zenprime']Was deleting some stuff today off the old 60GB classic and got to thinking about doing this. Do they make terabyte drives that'll fit the PS3 yet?[/quote]

I was doing the same thing and have been debating about upgrading the HD in my 60GB machine as well. The only problem is I'd need a storage device large enough to backup my system before doing so.

[quote name='bendeco45']i tried to do the backup onto my 16 GB ipod touch, and the PS3 didn't recognize it when i plugged it in with the USB cable. am i doing something wrong, or is it just that particular device that i can't backup to?[/QUOTE]

I believe you need a device that is FAT32....not sure what the IPOD Touch is. I'm sure Apple has something on there blocking it to be used for a large file system.,

In the process of backing up my data, but it only goes to 8% and quits. It's in FAT32 already, so what's the problem?

Thanks in advance, this is killing me!

Upgraded my 60gb a few months back when I caught a 320gb drive for $56. I'm a digital pack rat so it worked out good for me. Used PS3 backup on my 120gb portable drive took about 2 and half hours to make backup. Took about 5 min to change drive, and then about another 2 hours for restore.

Yeah, its worth it, and its not as if your are watching the TV the whole time.

Extra worth it if you are a packrat

My screws stripped too... Either file them down flat on two sides and use needle nose pliers... or call Sony and see if they will send you a replacement HDD Tray.

Yup, the backup device has to be FAT32-formatted.

For the 8% quitting guy, do you know if your backup device uses a different USB spec? I think the PS3 is 2.0, maybe your device is 1.x and it's having some connection hiccup.

[quote name='silks']Yup, the backup device has to be FAT32-formatted.

For the 8% quitting guy, do you know if your backup device uses a different USB spec? I think the PS3 is 2.0, maybe your device is 1.x and it's having some connection hiccup.[/quote]

It was error code 80010038, googled it and got nothing. My brother, being the wise guy that he is, deletes everything on there just so we could move on to the next step (read something about corrupted data). #-o

I have to pm all the people I gameshared with to see if I can at least get some things back.

[quote name='doubledown']I believe you need a device that is FAT32....not sure what the IPOD Touch is. I'm sure Apple has something on there blocking it to be used for a large file system.,[/QUOTE]

thanks. both devices i've tried to use as the backup haven't worked. i have a 2 GB mp3 player that i can try, so i think i'll try to delete as much game data as i can and hope that it gets down below 2. maybe try my GF's ipod. we'll see.

ok so I got this drive (which I know will work)
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231520822&sr=8-3
and this USB enclosure
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817816001

I will check the links in the OP but.....Is this what I can/need to do??

-remove my 80gig from the PS3
-back it up (basically just copy) on my desktop PC~w/ enclosure
-format/fat32 the new drive~w/ ps3
-transfer (basically paste) the backup from desktop to new drive~w/ enclosure
-install new drive in ps3
-sit back and enjoy a job well done*

Thanx in advance guys
*multiple beers will be consumed throughout the entire process!

Edit: I know the standard method is to use a external hd for backing up(which I don't own and would wish to save my $$$$). The above steps are, I'm thinking, to just clone my 80 gig onto the 320gig

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: Just swapped hard drives on my ps3. Problem: None of my rockband stuff transfered over. The RockBand1 library I have ripped didn't transfer. Is this cause of the copyrights??? If so, damn!!! Also, my game save from RockBand2 didn't transfer....this I don't understand. Thanx guys

EDIT: No game data transfered over (game installs, add-ons, version updates, etc.) normal??

I thought there was a way to carry over all your downloaded content if you used the backup/restore option? That's sort of disturbing that the RB1 data didn't transfer since I'm hoping to upgrade soon. I'm gonna have to find a disc again.

I thought everything transfered while using the backup/restore (shadowkast basically seems to have copied stuff manually...) as long as it wasn't restored to a different machine.

[quote name='mguiddy']I thought everything transfered while using the backup/restore (shadowkast basically seems to have copied stuff manually...) as long as it wasn't restored to a different machine.[/quote]

Correct. Although if I remember correctly it pops up with a warning that some 'copyright' material might not transfer over. Never had a problem myself though.

bread's done
Back