Unreal Tournament 3 Reg and Collectors Ed (PC) $19.99 at Gamestop

rant

CAGiversary!
I just came back from Gamestop where I picked up the collector's edition of UT3 (PC) for $19.99. Gamestop also had the regular PC edition of UT3 marked at $19.99 as well both in-store and online. The collector's edition of UT3 is OOS online but is available in stores (mine had 2).

UT3 Reg Gamestop: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=42770

I do not know if this is a universal price drop but Amazon is also showing the $19.99 price for standard edition of UT3 PC on their site (Collectors is still $29.99)

UT3 Reg Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Midway-50061-...sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1216313298&sr=8-2

[quote name='sendme']What does the collectors edition have that the normal does not?[/quote]IIRC, an art book (woohoo) and a 2nd disc full of tutorials on modding and level making. Metal box, too. They did something similar with UT2004 and included a Logitech Internet Chat headset.

I bought this for $60 on the day it came out and have regretted it since. While it runs fast on my rig, they concentrated more on making it look like Gears of Unreal than making it fun; dumped the best game modes from the prior version; and I had severe stability issues where the game would crash every 10-30 minutes, losing all progress. I gave up.

Epic fail by Epic Games with this one. I wish I could get $40 back.

I had really thought that the CE was going to contact the actual modeling/editing tools..but instead it was just the tutorials :(
bah

I hope this boosts playercount. I was looking at Gamespy Arcade earlier, seems to be a LOT more players for UT2k4 over UT3 (earlier it was like 4000~ UT2k4 players to 400 UT3 players online).

I played the demo, and I really thought the game did quite a few things right. Vehicle CTF was pretty darned fun. My only big problem was system requirements, but as video card prices have dropped, that problem has sort of taken care of itself.

I'd say it was more bad timing on Epic's part. Releasing that close to Orange Box, Bioshock, and Call of Duty 4 was brutal.

[quote name='DirkBelig']IIRC, an art book (woohoo) and a 2nd disc full of tutorials on modding and level making. Metal box, too. They did something similar with UT2004 and included a Logitech Internet Chat headset.

I bought this for $60 on the day it came out and have regretted it since. While it runs fast on my rig, they concentrated more on making it look like Gears of Unreal than making it fun; dumped the best game modes from the prior version; and I had severe stability issues where the game would crash every 10-30 minutes, losing all progress. I gave up.

Epic fail by Epic Games with this one. I wish I could get $40 back.[/quote]

I'm with you on this, Epic Turd this game is imo.
Gotta sell my reg PC version sometime when I'm not lazy but it probably isn't even worth it lol

I got it and I kinda like it. UT2k4 just felt off and floaty, but UT3 manages to look really good but still manage the meaty feel of UT99.

The problem is that this game does not blow the lid off of anything in the franchise. There's no assault. Onslaught is now Warfare and what once was a really tedious game of ZERG RUSH ON TEH POINT is now just a really tedious game of GET THE BALL TO THE POINT EVERYONE ELSE ZERG RUSH. Why they thought this was the way to go with the series is beyond me.

Furthermore, the WAR IS JUST THE SAME AS TOURNEY FIGHTS is silly, but understandable. UC2 probably was the only good tourney-related plot they could think of...

Really, this is a damn fine game, but the problem is it still feels like a roster update from UT99 and 2k4, and now the market is full of MP FPSes, so Unreal just doesn't have enough staying power. It is an excellent looking game, solid mechanics. The loss of Assault hurts badly, but it can recover.

None of the gamestops around me have the collector's version, but the walmart down the street has the regular one for $19.82 (normal price).

Also, BEST part of UT3... apart from the Gears quality eye-candy... is that they fixed Warfare/Onslaught so that if you don't grab the initial rush of vehicles, you can still get around quick on your hoverboard.

Checked Fry's. They had the regular for $19.99 too. I guess it's a universe price drop now that they, Walmart, Amazon and GS are selling it for that amount???

hordak, I can pick you up one if you'll make it worth my while. I'm sure they still have them. Of course, with it being $19 everywhere else, you'd be better of getting one for the extra $8.

bread's done
Back