Unreal Tournement 2004 (PC) $40 shipped free + $20 gift voucher at EBgames

This may be a stupid question, but is the headset that comes with a game basically a normal headset that I can use with anything on PC (I'm hoping) or even a PS2 or Xbox (not pushing my luck)??

[quote name='BustaUppa']This may be a stupid question, but is the headset that comes with a game basically a normal headset that I can use with anything on PC (I'm hoping) or even a PS2 or Xbox (not pushing my luck)??[/quote]

I was actually wondering the same thing, mainly about whether or not the headset would work with the ps2. Anybody know?

[quote name='basketkase543']
I was actually wondering the same thing, mainly about whether or not the headset would work with the ps2. Anybody know?[/quote]

I believe that it's a standard-jack headset, should work for XBox and most cell phones but not PS2

Where is there a direct link to this rebate on their site? When looking at either the SE or regular edition of ut2004, I don't see any such offer. The comments on the front page suggest they are changing the wording to include those who preordered so I'd hope that either the link to the rebate stays the same, or a new one goes up in place of the old one - in which case, I'd like to know where that link be!

[quote name='HYDE']Where is there a direct link to this rebate on their site? When looking at either the SE or regular edition of ut2004, I don't see any such offer. The comments on the front page suggest they are changing the wording to include those who preordered so I'd hope that either the link to the rebate stays the same, or a new one goes up in place of the old one - in which case, I'd like to know where that link be![/quote]

There was a link under the SE one less than an hour ago, it looks to have been removed. If this is the case then maybe this will be good in store only.

Yeah, the link from the product description to the voucher is gone, but the voucher itself is still up...hmmm...Shouldn't matter if they change it to be pre-orders though...everything up until the 15th is a pre-order, although the voucher says for purchase between 3/17/04 and 4/12/04.......hope that doesn't mean the price will go up to retail on the 17th and the deal ends up working out to $40 anyway. :?

Anyone know what is required for the manufactor's rebate? I called 2 ebs and they didn't know. Because that's an extra $10 off. I'm assuming u have to send in something from ut2k3 box or book to prove you had it.

They took the form down and replaced it with a new one after I contacted them about the confusion with the dates.

All is well now and the new form is up.
I edited the link in the first post and on the front page.

[quote name='CheapyD']They took the form down and replaced it with a new one after I contacted them about the confusion with the dates.

All is well now and the new form is up.
I edited the link in the first post and on the front page.[/quote]

Thanks for clearing up the confusion Cheapy, this is a must purchase for 20$, the headset is worth at least 10 by itself.

Aw CRAP! So just to be safe, I cancelled my previously placed order to meet the February 27th purchase date listed on the rebate. I reordered, then went back and looked at the page. Guess what is missing?

The Unreal Car Emblem!

No longer is it a bonus if you order now. Don't know how long it's been gone for, but I'm kind of bummed - even though I wouldn't of put it on my car, it's still a free goody.

So to anyone else thinking of pulling a stupid like me and who ordered when they were giving away that as a bonus - don't! I'm not sure what they consider the "purchase date" but I ordered on the 8th, and if that was the day they consider the order purchased, I would not of qualified for the rebate they're offering now.

And thanks to Cheapy, and pfunk for the legwork.

For what its worth...
Amazon's product description reads:
Unreal Tournament 2004 DVD Special Edition includes a double-DVD set. Disc one includes all of the game content while disc 2 includes more than 150 hours of Video Training Modules (VTMs) from 3D Buzz that teach fans and amateur mod makers how to use the Unreal Editor to create custom game content. Unreal Tournament 2004 DVD Special Edition comes in a limited edition metal box and contains a Logitech Internet Chat Headset for use with the game's exclusive voice over IP (voice chat) technology, as well as an Unreal window sticker.

A quick search on Amazon for Logitech Internet Chat Headset returns this $24 product:

i dont wanna lose the car emblem, so i think ill just leave my preorder then bitch if they wont give it to me. im sure preorders will count too, dont you guys?

Cheapy: I guess the window sticker isn't bad - but the chrome emblem would of been nice - especially as a trophy of sorts for our late night UT sessions here at work.

Now to find some hardware upgrades at newegg!

Thanks again-

[quote name='CheapyD']... disc 2 includes more than 150 hours of Video Training Modules (VTMs) from 3D Buzz that teach fans and amateur mod makers how to use the Unreal Editor to create custom game content...[/quote]

Huh? That doesn't even make sense. It would be impossible to fit 150 hours of video on even a 2 layer DVD. That's over 6 days of straight video! It's hard enough to fit 3 hours of quality video on DVD-5 and still maintain a high bitrate. 150 hours wouldn't be possible, let alone watchable.

Diiz: I'm willing to bet it isn't encoded in a DVD format, but rather something like wmv, mpeg, etc.

[quote name='HYDE']Diiz: I'm willing to bet it isn't encoded in a DVD format, but rather something like wmv, mpeg, etc.[/quote]

Well, most of the content on 3dbuzz (excellent site, by the way, for anyone interested in 3d modeling or animation) is encoded with DivX codec. It is advertising supported, unless one buys the full version. I am not saying that the DVD content will be the same way, just that there is a good likelihood.

I'm betting pre-orders before the 27th should be fine. Here's my rationale: the form says "mail the completed form along with the original EBgames.com packing list (dated no later than April 5, 2004) and the original proof of purchase..." This indicates to me that the key here is having packing list dated before the 5th. I'm assuming the packing lists aren't generated until they actually have product in stock, ie after March 16.

Any chance someone with inside connections at EB could clarify for those of us with pre-orders from before the 27th?

I cancelled my online pre order. When I buy hardware with a rebate I don't mind cutting the box up for that. But a game box.. Cutting that up would be like cutting off my hand. Yep I guess I am somewhat obsessive-compulsive. Tomorrow morning I'm going to go to EBgames and preorder it there. :?

Even if it wasn't coded in DVD format, the resolution would still be terrible. If you have ever tried to author a DVD (regardless of the source video), you will know what I am talking about.

It sounds like a typo to me, but who knows. I just can't imagine anyone wanting to watch 150 hours worth of tutorials anyway.

magilacudy: Do what I do - razor just the top print layer of the box and filet it off leaving the cardboard intact. Sure you've got a square area missing, but at least it's not a hole!

This does bring up a question... what does the SE box 'really' look like... I kind of wish it was tin, like Q3 was (still got my Q3 tin :) Looks to be a brushed aluminum carboard box but I'll keep my fingers crossed for something cooler.

[quote name='HYDE']magilacudy: Do what I do - razor just the top print layer of the box and filet it off leaving the cardboard intact. Sure you've got a square area missing, but at least it's not a hole![/quote]

Hmm.. Thats a good idea actually, never thought of that Hyde. The SE I'm thinking might come in a DVD case though.

[quote name='Scrubking']Is this deal worth it if you don't have broadband?[/quote]

Wow I'm goin quote crazy. Anyways I played the demo against bots, even on Onslaught mode it was entertaining. So even if you don't have broadband you'll get some enjoyment out of it. You can even use the headset to control the bots on your team, but that might get old after a while.

[quote name='magilacudy'][quote name='HYDE']magilacudy: Do what I do - razor just the top print layer of the box and filet it off leaving the cardboard intact. Sure you've got a square area missing, but at least it's not a hole![/quote]

Hmm.. Thats a good idea actually, never thought of that Hyde. The SE I'm thinking might come in a DVD case though.[/quote]

It looks like it comes in an out box though, which is the UPC they would want. It won't just be in a DVD case, as it is two DVD's and a headset. Unless they are just going to tape the headset to a double DVD case, I don't think you have anything to worry about :wink:

meh, I called and the guy asked to be sure and he said that the purchase date doesnt matter, as long as it is before the ending date. He said as long as you have the receipt and pop that it doesnt matter. If he is wrong, they will get a very unpleasant call in about a month. :)

[quote name='CheapyD']For what its worth...
...Unreal Tournament 2004 DVD Special Edition comes in a limited edition metal box...[/quote]

Hmmm...maybe the UPC will be a peel off or something....hopefully...

[quote name='CheapyD']I just realized that this game is on two DVD-ROMS and I don't have a DVD drive on my desktop.
Only this regular version (no headset) is available.

Boo.[/quote]

Oh come on now...there are plenty of budget DVD Rom drives out there, even for cheapasses! $25 + $5 shipping. Not a big deal :p

Since there seem to be alot of us picking it up, can I assume we'll have a CAG server?

Otherwise, no headset for me. I don't pay good money to have some 12 year old brat bitch at me for not jumping properly.

[quote name='terribledeli']Since there seem to be alot of us picking it up, can I assume we'll have a CAG server?

Otherwise, no headset for me. I don't pay good money to have some 12 year old brat bitch at me for not jumping properly.[/quote]

That would rock. My friends and I have our own server for the demo...good times.

[quote name='CheapyD']For what its worth...
Unreal Tournament 2004 DVD Special Edition includes a double-DVD set. Disc one includes all of the game content while disc 2 includes more than 150 hours of Video Training Modules (VTMs) from 3D Buzz that teach fans and amateur mod makers how to use the Unreal Editor to create custom game content. Unreal Tournament 2004 DVD Special Edition comes in a limited edition metal box and contains a Logitech Internet Chat Headset for use with the game's exclusive voice over IP (voice chat) technology, as well as an Unreal window sticker.

A quick search on Amazon for Logitech Internet Chat Headset returns this $24 product:
[/quote]
yes its also here on ebgames Cheap ass link

Cheapy: Heh - I don't have a DVD-rom either, but I know I need one. I'm just going to pick up a DVD.RW and cover both bases at once. I'll most likely get this one from Plextor through Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-131-310
A nice deal if you're in the market - I've been very pleased with my Plextor CD.R - not to mention the prices keep dropping so a week or so before the games release and I order the drive, odds are the drive will be cheaper!

[quote name='HYDE']Cheapy: Heh - I don't have a DVD-rom either, but I know I need one. I'm just going to pick up a DVD.RW and cover both bases at once. I'll most likely get this one from Plextor through Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-131-310
A nice deal if you're in the market - I've been very pleased with my Plextor CD.R - not to mention the prices keep dropping so a week or so before the games release and I order the drive, odds are the drive will be cheaper![/quote]

So you are going to go from not even having a DVD-ROM to having a dual format DVD burner? Why spend so much? The NEC ND-1300A is a GREAT DVD dual format DVD burner for under $100. Newegg is temporarily out of stock, but you can find it plenty of other places. I love mine.

[quote name='magilacudy'][quote name='Scrubking']Is this deal worth it if you don't have broadband?[/quote]

Wow I'm goin quote crazy. Anyways I played the demo against bots, even on Onslaught mode it was entertaining. So even if you don't have broadband you'll get some enjoyment out of it. You can even use the headset to control the bots on your team, but that might get old after a while.[/quote]

You can use the headset to order around bots? I thought it would be worthless for me, because I dont have broadband. Does the headset use a USB port?

[quote name='Diiz']So you are going to go from not even having a DVD-ROM to having a dual format DVD burner? Why spend so much? The NEC ND-1300A is a GREAT DVD dual format DVD burner for under $100. Newegg is temporarily out of stock, but you can find it plenty of other places. I love mine.[/quote]

Heh - given what the drives used to cost, $177 is not bad at all. I paid almost that much for my CD.R 2 years back. I paid even more for my first CD.R waaay back when. Also, the NEC drive is 4x, the Plextor is 8x. I'll easily fill discs of work files to take back to work so the speed is worth the difference to me - even though in a few months, 8x will be the slow end of the DVD.R spectrum :)

Lastly - for all those UT players, how about you post your ingame name? I play as Kleenex.

As a test - I've started a Listen server (so I can play as well) - this is more to check pings against other CAGers. I'm on the West Coast btw. The server name is CAG-Server and the Password is CAG - currently DM-Rankin, 8 player max.

I'm heading out for a while but I left a dedicated server running for anyone who wants to play. server = CAG-Server, pswrd = CAG

Hope it works - I assume I don't have to touch a thing once I launch a dedicated server? Let me know if anyone has problems or doesn't see the server, etc.

quick questions

1. do they have this SE edition at the eb store? because i need the headset..i would kill your momma for one

2. to take advantage of this rebate do i need to preorder it? or can i just buy it in the store when it comes out and use the rebat then

3. is the retail price of this game going to be 40?

4. if i buy it in the store, all i have to do is send just the reciept so i dont have to cut up my box.

thanks for answering the questions and sorry about your momma

Very unlikely from the other info posted in this thread it is USB. Those cost more so why would they do it? The one I have from Logitech is around $30 if you need USB.

[quote name='Kaijufan']You can use the headset to order around bots? I thought it would be worthless for me, because I dont have broadband. Does the headset use a USB port?[/quote]

[quote name='Valkryst']"But a game box.. Cutting that up would be like cutting off my hand."

They accept photocopies[/quote]

Don't spread around false information. They don't accept photocopies.

[quote name='I']Original Message:
-------------------------
Hey there,

I have a pre-order with you guys for UT2K4 and I just printed out the
$20 mail-in voucher rebate. I would HATE to slice up the UT2K4 box when
I get it in order to salvage the UPC to mail in. Are photocopies
acceptable as long as I include the original packing slip?[/quote]
[quote name='In reply, ebgames.com']Hello,

Thank you for contacting EBgames.com.

The UPC code must be the original cut out from the box. We do not
accept photocopies of the UPC code.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Sincerely,
Peter
EBgames.com[/quote]

bread's done
Back