Untapped cheapass resource: The Salvation Army

grayghost81

CAGiversary!
Ok now I searched and it doesn't seem anyone mentioned this yet so here's whats up. I went to the salvation army today to look for a cheap coat. Obviously all the good coats were gone (stupid me), so I started wandering around.

I found a rack that was loaded with NES, Genesis and a few N64 games. The cool thing is most of them were priced at $2.99

I picked up Renegade (NES) in the box with instructions, A copy of Zelda (NES) and a copy of Link (NES) as well as a copy of Goldeneye (N64) all for 2.99 each. There were tons of games though. If you have a Salvation Army store (or Goodwill), check it out, you might get lucky.

hte joints near me (san bernardino ca) have monthyl dollar days. everything for a buck (excluding furniture) 98%of shirts and jackets I own came form one of these glorious events.
I havent checked for video games, though I have seen patrons purchasing cd's and what not.

I'm in several thrift shops often looking for low cost materials for my non-profit art program for developmentally disabled adults. It takes some persistence, but I have landed such deals as
Ecco PC 0.98
Windows 98 Upgrade 2.98 (genuine disk, w/ key, sadly minus cert)
Visual Basic 5 Studio 2.98
Morrowind: Tribunal 2.99 ish
and many others... some not so hot, some just odd items I wanted.
It's weird the things they decide to price up though. This one store priced up this old FPS to $15.00, letting it sit there behind the glass like it was something rare and collectible, while tons of other, newer, better games rolled out on the cheap.

the goodwill store near me has a ton of NES games in a box out front, lol

they are always there, no one ever buys em :?

Goodwill and salvation army sell videogames! Who would have thought! I might have to investigate this matter! Might make some money on ebay!

I went to Goodwill and all I found was some crappy sega cd sport games and mario/duck hunt for NES and some SNES and Genesis crappy sports game and maybe some other crappy sport games, too!

Moral of the story: I saw a lot of crappy sport games.

The Salvation Armys here in okc,ok suck. They never have anything so I avoid them.
Goodwill will pop something up every so often(like a Jaguar with 3 games for $10).

But it's the other local thrifts that I have found most of my collection at. Like a complete Stack-Up for $7, and some other rares.
Just like yesterday I found a Glacier GBA for $12.50 sure it's missing the battery cover but it works and well worth the asking price.

Pawnshops are great too.

I went to my salvation army today hoping for at least some gaming goodness and only found Madden 1994 (i think it was that year) for genesis. Maybe next time.

The key to these is to only go to them thinking that you won't find anything, and your just out doing this because you enjoy the hunt. If you do find something, you're happy... if you don't, oh well.

Garage sales and flea markets are good for this kind of stuff as well.

Flea markets & Yard Sales Rule !!!! I picked up Metroid Fusion
today for 3 bucks. Like brand new. No box or instructions though.

Goodwill will usually net me something if i dont go to often. I passed up (D'oh!) a boxed Super Empire Strikes Back SNES for 3 dollars though because i had no money on me.
Dammit!

I went pawn shoping today and only found a galizzion madden football games dating from dirt to now. Man hes old and still looks the same! just 400 hotdogs bigger! must be all of the tenactin!

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']I went pawn shoping today and only found a galizzion madden football games dating from dirt to now. Man hes old and still looks the same! just 400 hotdogs bigger! must be all of the tenactin![/quote]

That stuff is tough actin

That it is. That it is.
Of course, it hasn't helped him mentally.

"The team that is going to win is the one who scores the most points."

The scary thing was that it was difficult to tell if he was serious or not when he said that.

Just like yesterday I found a Glacier GBA for $12.50 sure it's missing the battery cover but it works and well worth the asking price.

If you really want it, Nintendo.com, then go to the store secton, it should only be a dollar or two.

About 10 years ago, I gave a working Atari 2600 (in box) and a crapload of games to Goodwill. I now know I was stupid, but someone out there got a good deal.

I love thrift stores. For one, I've gotten many game boy carts there (Tetris, various Mario games) and I have also found money in the pockets of clothes that I have purchased there, which was a pleasant surprise.

[quote name='Lefty']I love thrift stores. For one, I've gotten many game boy carts there (Tetris, various Mario games) and I have also found money in the pockets of clothes that I have purchased there, which was a pleasant surprise.[/quote]

Never found money in clothes before. Did find some change in a factory Chevy Truck cassette deck.

Thrifts are my home away from home :eek: . I am at one of them mon-sat. So I am known at several.
Although I have'nt found much game wise this week. I did happen to find a set of 4 99-01 Chevy Truck Chrome rims with tires that had 3/4 tread left on them, mint condition for $125(they fit quite nicely on my truck I might add).

Pawns are great also, scored pretty good today:

Zelda 4 Swords GBA $10
Megaman GB $6
Pipe Dreams GB (Jap import) $2
Kirby's Tilt N' Tumble GBC $2
Donkey Kong Country SNES $3
Zelda OoS GBC $6
Illusions of Gaia SNES $3
Mario All-Stars SNES $3

Edit: Forgot to add I found Super Monkey Ball 2 for $5 at a thrift on friday.

on the garage sale note, a couple of years ago I got a N64, 4 controllers the expansion pack thingie, about 12 games which actually included a few decents one like goldeneye and whatnot for a whopping $30

bread's done
Back