up-to-date PC game DRM list?

ragingst0rm6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (100%)
Back in the day, all you had to do when you bought a PC game was enter in the CD-key during the installation process. Nowadays, you need to worry about spyware DRM like Securom, EA's Origin whatever-you-call-it, Steam activation, forced online connectivity, etc. I'm not a big PC gamer, so I'm unfamiliar with the specifics some of the DRM schemes being used currently. All I want is to own a physical disc copy from which I:

1. can install the complete game from the disc - I don't want to buy a physical disc copy of a game that still requires me to download multiple-GBs from Steam or some other server (I think this is what happened with retail box copies of Fallout: New Vegas?)

2. don't need to worry about limited number of activations or installations requiring online server-based validations - my primary concern here is the "what-if-the-servers-get-discontinued/shut down/crash" scenario which prevents me from installing/playing my games (right now or years into the future). (I think I read something online about the validation servers for Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition were having huge problems?)

3. don't need to worry about forced online connectivity or playing via a "service" - Yes, I do have constant access to the internet, but that doesn't mean I want to be forced to rely on it all the time ("what-if-my-wireless-router-gets-bricked" or "my-internet-provider-limits-my-monthly-bandwith" scenarios). Plus, I'm mostly a single-player gamer anyways. (Starcraft II was bad enough, but at least it was possible to play the campaign offline. Diablo III being online only is going to prevent me from buying it Day 1).

And yes, I'm aware of something called Steam along with its "offline" mode; I'd still prefer not to have to install/rely on Steam.

Obviously, there are a lot of games that won't match most or all of the criteria above, but what I'm looking for is a (mostly) up-to-date, comprehensive list of the DRM (or lack of) for PC games. My current method of Googling "game_title DRM" is inefficient and results in a lot of "rumors" and junk results. I really wish that Amazon would include descriptions like "requires Steam activation" or "requires constant Internet Connection", or even include the DRM schemes outright in their product listings.

For example:
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Steam-activated
  • Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition - Rumors about validation for the Ultimate Edition content having major problems?
  • Dragon Age 2 - Invasive Securom?
  • Fallout 3, Fallout 3 GOTY, Fallout: New Vegas - Steam-activated?
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 5th Anniversary - I bought this, and I actually don't even know what DRM it has
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - I'm definitely interested in buying this, but what DRM does it have?

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back