Update 1/16 - So Gamestop "attempted" to deny me an exchange on a defective product.

[quote name='chaostic_2k1']Wait, the RMA needs a credit card? Reason number one to exchange it in store.[/quote]
yeah so you dont jip em out of a guitar. its crap i know. cant return it to the store and cant give it to EA if you have no CC. Thats why stores need to take this back.

So the disclamer says I gotta RMA it to EA? When I find out my drums are broken (have yet to use them) I'm gonna be pissed because the closest UPS drop off area for a package like that is 25+ miles away. So that means I gotta take my dying car on a 50+ mile road trip not to mention all the gas I'd use. Is EA gonna pay for all that?

Damn strait it'll go back to the store

[quote name='gweedyj']yeah so you dont jip em out of a guitar. its crap i know. cant return it to the store and cant give it to EA if you have no CC. Thats why stores need to take this back.[/quote]

You can RMA it to EA w/o a credit card, but you first have to wait for them to ship you an empty box with a prepaid shipping label. Ship your broken unit back, wait for them to receive it, process it and then ship you a replacement out. Not bad if you have a few weeks to kill playing another gamer.

[quote name='Tirade']Out of the box, the 2nd bundle (the new one from Wal-Mart that we bought yesterday) is also defective. The strum bar on this guitar is actually worse than the first one (intermittent down strum and almost no up strum at all). We havent tried the drums from the new bundle yet.
[/QUOTE]

...You went out and bought ANOTHER ROCK BAND knowing about the defects?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

[quote name='GizmoGC']...You went out and bought ANOTHER ROCK BAND knowing about the defects?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?[/quote]

Well according to EA the defective hardware was only in the "initial" shipments.
I figured with the game being sold out at a lot of places and my Wal-Mart just receiving 8 bundles, maybe it would have the functioning guitar in it. No luck though. The drums however do work great this time around.

[quote name='Tirade']You can RMA it to EA w/o a credit card, but you first have to wait for them to ship you an empty box with a prepaid shipping label. Ship your broken unit back, wait for them to receive it, process it and then ship you a replacement out. Not bad if you have a few weeks to kill playing another gamer.[/QUOTE]

A few weeks is unreasonable.

I also purchased an initial shipment Rock Band. The first guitar worked for three nights and then the strum bar ceased working. Contacted EA and received my second guitar within four days. This one had problems with the overdrive mechanism so I contacted EA again. The third one arrived shortly, but the whammy bar didn't work. Contacted EA this time with an email telling my story and relating that I was waiting for an answer and that I was becoming frustrated. When I received the answer four days later they told me that they were sending a new guitar and that I did not need to send back the defective guitar. In short I now have two working guitars, just one of them has an issue with the overdrive mechanism, but that can be bypassed by pressing the select button.

[quote name='reibeatall']Totally. And everybody that wants to kill prostitutes and steal cars should do that. It's a lot more gratifying.[/quote]

All I gotta say is that if there were a trail of rings in my path, I'd run as fast as I could to get them.

[quote name='mykevermin']Christ. I agree with Gizmo.

I kinda picture the OP as onea'them Tejas "Cowboy" types, waddling up to GS with his spurs, dinner-plate sized belt buckle, too-tight jeans, a nice oxford in a gingham pattern, and a planned diatribe that probably involved the phrase "I'M A GODDAMNED AMERICAN, I TELL YOU WHUT!" at some point.

Really, EA's replacement policy is very good for RB, so your whole "consumer rights about being refused returns" is pure folly, slanted to make your argument look proper. You act as if the giant arm of evil multinational corporations (which you're evidently fine giving money to, but they suddenly are only manipulative and evil when they sell you a faulty product!?!?! What inconsistency and absurdity!) is forcing you to play RB with a busted gee-tar or drums. Instead, they have a fuckin' great plan in place to replace equipment, and does so without forcing them to take back working equipment (working drums, mic, software, whatever) and trash it/sell it as a refurb. If you're so goddamned high and mighty, consider the environmental impact of you forcing a company to ship and trash an entire (mostly) working RB package because your gee-tar doesn't work.

You live up to your name, although I typically consider "tirades" to be done appropriately, with a modicum of wit and cleverness, and done so for a noble, worthy, or at least laughable cause. With that in mind, I think you ought to change your username to "prattling twat."

And I hope your drums break on day 8.[/quote]

I am looking at this from completely outside the box. Keep thinking the same thing, "How hard would it be for gamestop to clarify their return policy on certain products?"

[quote name='Tirade']I guess all the problems with Rock Band has got the Gamestop crew on edge. I wanted to exchange my defective Rock Band bundle with a working one (and I was within my 7 days) but was told by both employees that the EA sticker on the front of the bundle that says "If something doesnt work, please contact EA for a replacement instead of returning it" supercedes the Gamestop return policy posted in the store and on my receipt.

It took 20min and a call to a manager, but you can bet your ass I got a new bundle. I was told that if this bundle is defective that I must RMA it, I cant exchange it again. Whatever, let them try and pull that shit. There might be a broken Rock Band bundle in my house, but every last penny will be back on my Amex card and GS can take it up with Amex.[/quote]

Um..stop being a tit?

1) you're either a total dunce, or clearly oblivious to the North American RB shortage problems, thus

2) EBgames/Gamestop don't usually have a surplus of RB bundles to go around, thus

3) for them to give up a new bundle as an exchange vs. a sale is harsh, still...

4) EA foresaw this issue and put said sticker on the packaging. You, however,

5) opted to be a douche-bag and ignore common sense to get your needs satisfied.

The bundle you took probably would've found a nice home with a person new to the whole thing. You could've gotten your replacement from EA, with a game so I hear in some cases, and been just fine. I'm almost sure you have a GH guitar, surely. If you don't oh noes! You're still a douche for ignoring the sticker.

Oh ya, be sure to give the underpaid employees at EBgames/Gamestop a piece of your mind- get real fucking tough and show those kids who's boss!11!!eleventy!

fucktard

[quote name='Tirade']
At what point did we as consumers become ok with a retailer selling defective merchandise that's advertised as non-defective?

Then to top it off we became ok with them not taking it back? I don't get it. There isnt another industry in the US (other than software/games in general) where its ok to sell defective/incomplete merchandise and then tell people you arent taking it back."[/quote]

At the point of common decency: you know that the new, hard to get, bundle would be sold to someone else, but you'd rather soothe your shit than wait a week for a replacement instrument.

You're so repressed you have no other games to play for a week or two?

Or, as I suspect, you have a huge chip on your shit and you just love to get all angsty with underpaid/underage employees?

Rock on dude.

1) the retailer doesn't know if a product is defective.

2) Given the shortage of the RB bundle, and given that you, like an idiot, returned everything as opposed to the *1* piece which was defective, now a store has to replace *every* instrument in the bundle, and cannot resell any piece of it.

Do you actually look at the bigger picture, or are you like most people and just worry about your immediate needs?

Stop crying.

[quote name='NismoZZzz']With the time you took to deal with this, a new one would of been on the way. The only problem here is laziness.[/quote]

Lmao. On the way, but not at his house like the new one is with the route he took.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Lmao. On the way, but not at his house like the new one is with the route he took.[/quote]

Haha, true. My bad. I can agree with you on that.

[quote name='mykevermin']IMO, all you wanna be rock stars should put down your "real" guitar (not the one you pawned for dope, the cheap Rickenbacker you kept), take the needle out of your arm, get away from your employed-at-a-liberal-independently-owned-coffeehouse-and/or-bookstore girlfriend, take a bath, go get tested for social diseases, go become gainfully employed, rent your own damned apartment, and learn to play plastic instruments. :roll: Take my word, it's a lot more gratifying.;)[/quote]

Myke, you're usually not one to assume such nonsense. I never claimed to be a rock star, but I do enjoy playing an instrument or two. I'm not a snob and I certainly don't work in some liberal establishment.

I do find it funny that people are surprised that the "instruments" packaged with this game are flimsy. I sure wouldn't expect much in the way of a set of instruments costing less than $200. Especially for drums, which take terrible abuse in real life.

But it looks like my opinions strike too close to home for some of you. Sorry I mentioned it.:lol:

[quote name='meesterjojo']At the point of common decency: you know that the new, hard to get, bundle would be sold to someone else, but you'd rather soothe your shit than wait a week for a replacement instrument.

[/quote]
Wait, so let me get this straight..

You're saying (and you said it twice in 2 different posts), that I should have RMA'd our drums and guitar (which were broken out of the box), and waited a few weeks to play the game so that someone else could buy the game?

Im sorry if Im having trouble following you. At what point does someone elses time/money become more important than mine? I buy a product, take it home, notice its broke and Im supposed to "suck it up" because if I exchange it I might be keeping someone else from buying it?

Interesting thought... dumb as shit, but interesting.

I like where this is going though. Maybe we should apply it to everything!

Tirade: "Hey man, I just bought the TV from Sears and its dead out of the box, Im going to take it back and get another one"

meesterjojo: "No way man, that TV is a hot item and hard to find. if you exchange it you're going to keep someone else from watching TV."

Tirade: "You're right dude, I'll just send it back to Samsung and wait a few weeks to watch my new TV because I dont want to keep someone else from watching TV. Their enjoyment is way more important than my family's".

dumbass

RB is pretty easy to find where I live. Every GS has 4-8 PS3 bundles and Wal-Mart had over 10. I saw a stack of them at Best Buy today and Toys-R-Us had 4.

[quote name='meesterjojo']Do you actually look at the bigger picture, or are you like most people and just worry about your immediate needs?
[/quote]
When it comes to my hard earned money, I worry about my needs over the "bigger picture"

Oh and yes, I do have a GH guitar laying around, but if you had a clue, you would know they arent compatible on the PS3.

The disclaimer/sticker thing is nonsense and not special to Rock Band. Every big ticket item I have purchased has it so that you don't return the product to the retailer for CASH so the sale stands. Obviously the manufacturer prefers exchanges. Hell, even my electric toothbrush had the same note.

I would have returned it to the store too. Hell, most(if not all) games n systems say ya aren't supposed to return them to the store. Noooo, you're supposed to just pay the fuckin shipping costs and eat that cost, plus the wait time to get yer 'fixed' shit back.

I'd just play 'dumb consumer' if I were the OP if they get another non functional bundle and say 'I never saw the slip', if it's brought up.

I dont care what the product is or what it says when you open the box. If it is broken and it falls into the retrun policy you have every right to exchange it at the store for a new one. I guess we should not return any broken products to the stores now because almost every product comes with a manufacturer warranty.

This issue is covered by most state's consumer protection laws. Here in Minnesota, we have 14 days to return for any reason whatsoever.

[quote name='Zingela']To be fair, Rock Band has a HUGE disclaimer as soon as you open the box to NOT return any defective components to the retailer.

Seriously, it's a giant bright pink flyer you see as soon as you open the box. EA does not want to deal with retail returns.[/QUOTE]

I don't care if a dancing unicorn popped out of the box shooting rainbows out of it's ass & told me not to return defective components to the retailer.

If I paid $180 for something & it's broke out of the box, it goes back to the store for a refund. End of story.

The end.

omg, I cant believe there are this many people freaking out over having to wait a week to get a brand new rockband guitar shipped FOR FREE right to your house (and they pay for return shipping on the broken one).

When you buy Rockband, theres a nice piece of paper that tells you not to return broken units to the stores because EA has already set up a working program to replace them. They're just trying to expedite the entire process by cutting out the retailer.

Its not like they force you to eat your broken guitar.

[quote name='Akira119']omg, I cant believe there are this many people freaking out over having to wait a week to get a brand new rockband guitar shipped FOR FREE right to your house (and they pay for return shipping on the broken one).
[/quote]

Uhh, what? I didn't have to pay for return shipping. They include the return slip with it.

And no, I didn't have any problems with my guitar. After hearing reports of people's strum bars stop working, I went ahead and ordered a replacement, figuring that my guitar would be broken by the time it got here. And it never broke. At least I got a free game out of it.

I gotta say that its pretty extreme on both sides.

I can see where people might have the patience to say "theyll ship and return ship for free" and some people have been getting free games etc but I gotta say if I spent that much on the item, Id take it back to the store as well.

[quote name='reibeatall']

And no, I didn't have any problems with my guitar. After hearing reports of people's strum bars stop working, I went ahead and ordered a replacement, figuring that my guitar would be broken by the time it got here. And it never broke. At least I got a free game out of it.[/quote]
Thats smart thinking, I should have done that.

Like someone mentioned before, these things are covered under consumer law in most states (although there are a few "as-is" states and you have very little rights as a consumer).

I probably should have title this thread differently, as it does come off as sounding cowboyish in every good ole boy sense of the word. Either way, I think Haggar summed up how I feel about the whole thing.

[quote name='Haggar']I don't care if a dancing unicorn popped out of the box shooting rainbows out of it's ass & told me not to return defective components to the retailer.

If I paid $180 for something & it's broke out of the box, it goes back to the store for a refund. End of story.

The end.[/quote]

[quote name='Akira119']omg, I cant believe there are this many people freaking out over having to wait a week to get a brand new rockband guitar shipped FOR FREE right to your house (and they pay for return shipping on the broken one).

When you buy Rockband, theres a nice piece of paper that tells you not to return broken units to the stores because EA has already set up a working program to replace them. They're just trying to expedite the entire process by cutting out the retailer.

Its not like they force you to eat your broken guitar.[/quote]

Well, you know, if lazy devs/pubs didn't release broken games and peripherals to begin with, there would be no NEED for a replacement program. Of course, if returning the items to the store instead of via EA's lovely 'program' forces them to take them back as junk and costs THEM money, I'm all for people returning RB bundles in their entirety to stores.

Mind ya, I despise EA as a company, so maybe I'm just a wee bit biased.

This is why I hate places like gamespot, ebgames and gamecrazy

They have a bullshit 7 days exchange policy, which is bad for those of us who don't have time to play video games all day, once I bought a used copy of a game there and it worked fine to start with, by the time I got near the end of the game the 7 days had passed and it gave me a disk error and it just wouldn't get past that part, But that only happened once usually used games are fine, but any new games I buy at big stores like walmart/target because they have 90 days exchange. And if a game like rockband doesn't work i'm not gonna go through the trouble of shipping it out to EA, waiting god knows how many weeks to get it back... I'll take it to the store and demand a working copy. When I bought my xbox 360 I noticed a slip that said if there's any problems with the console or accessories to call microsoft, but seriously how convinient is that? I have to call microsoft, wait 40 minutes to talk to a representative then another 20 minutes explaining to the person what's wrong with the package, then I have to ship it, wait a week or two for whatever I want replaced or etc... It's more convinient to just go right back to the store and get a new console, let them take care of the problem with MS, customer satisfaction is a must.

[quote name='hec204']This is why I hate places like gamespot, ebgames and gamecrazy

They have a bullshit 7 days exchange policy, which is bad for those of us who don't have time to play video games all day, once I bought a used copy of a game there and it worked fine to start with, by the time I got near the end of the game the 7 days had passed and it gave me a disk error and it just wouldn't get past that part, But that only happened once usually used games are fine, but any new games I buy at big stores like walmart/target because they have 90 days exchange. And if a game like rockband doesn't work i'm not gonna go through the trouble of shipping it out to EA, waiting god knows how many weeks to get it back... I'll take it to the store and demand a working copy.[/quote]

Umm, you have a 30 day defective exchange on games at gamestop/eb games. Not sure about gamecrazy b/c we don't have any around here.

And for those of you complaining about the time, it only took me a week to get a guitar back from them after receiving the box. I'd say the total turnaround time was 10 days.

My strum bar broke the day after the game came out. I sent it back to EA like a good little customer. I got no free game, the guitar was replaced right away though.

Anyone think I can contact them again and ask where my free game is? lol

[quote name='allout1986']Umm, you have a 30 day defective exchange on games at gamestop/eb games. Not sure about gamecrazy b/c we don't have any around here.

And for those of you complaining about the time, it only took me a week to get a guitar back from them after receiving the box. I'd say the total turnaround time was 10 days.[/quote]
10 days?!? Who the hell wants to wait 10 days to play a new game with their buddies because a company fails to make quality products?! But since they are giving free games I guess that somewhat makes up for it, but they still should have done more at quality control when those units went out

[quote name='mogamer']Myke, you're usually not one to assume such nonsense. I never claimed to be a rock star, but I do enjoy playing an instrument or two. I'm not a snob and I certainly don't work in some liberal establishment.

I do find it funny that people are surprised that the "instruments" packaged with this game are flimsy. I sure wouldn't expect much in the way of a set of instruments costing less than $200. Especially for drums, which take terrible abuse in real life.

But it looks like my opinions strike too close to home for some of you. Sorry I mentioned it.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Oh not at all. I felt compelled to say something, and it's not the first time I've ever been verbose without being provoked. Trust me on that 'un, or just look in this thread.

That said, what irks me about it is that it's unrelated to the issue of store/manufacturer returns and exchanges. If you prefer playing a real instrument, bully for you. But it's as relevant in this thread as me telling you all what I had for dinner.

Back on topic, how does one go about scoring the free video game? I filled out the RMA for my guitar (it works, but the "tilt" power is hypersensitive, so I have no control over when it actually gets used - plus the upstrum is a tiny bit on the fritz) online, and did not receive any option/notification for a free EA game. I think I'd like to check out skate. again.

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh not at all. I felt compelled to say something, and it's not the first time I've ever been verbose without being provoked. Trust me on that 'un, or just look in this thread.

That said, what irks me about it is that it's unrelated to the issue of store/manufacturer returns and exchanges. If you prefer playing a real instrument, bully for you. But it's as relevant in this thread as me telling you all what I had for dinner.

Back on topic, how does one go about scoring the free video game? I filled out the RMA for my guitar (it works, but the "tilt" power is hypersensitive, so I have no control over when it actually gets used - plus the upstrum is a tiny bit on the fritz) online, and did not receive any option/notification for a free EA game. I think I'd like to check out skate. again.[/QUOTE]
Call them.

I just got an e-mail (after I had received my guitar in the mail) saying something along the lines of "WE SUCK SORRY BOUT THE GUITAR HAVE A FREE GAME CLICK HERE".

So I guess wait until you get the guitar.

I was checking the official forums for info on the free game and I saw this posted a few times (the wording was different but the message was the same).

"The free games were only for the bunch of people back in November that called in for support and nothing ever shipped for any of them."

Here's the group of e-mails I got.

Greetings Rocker,
Congratulations on your purchase of Rock Band!
After reviewing our records, we see that your recent request for a replacement guitar has been subject to an unacceptably long delay due to a late shipment from our manufacturer.
By the time you receive this, your replacement guitar should be on its way to you. However, the Rock Band team is committed to providing a world-class customer experience and we do not believe we have met this commitment in connection with your request. As a token of our appreciation for your patience and understanding, we will be offering you a FREE EA game. Details will follow shortly.
We are sorry if your first experience with Rock Band has not met your expectations. We hope our gift will show you how committed we are to your satisfaction.
Thank you,
The Rock Band Team

Greetings Rocker,

You recently received an e-mail from us regarding the status of your Rock Band shipment and our offer to also send you a FREE EA GAME. We trust that by this time your guitar has arrived and you’re rocking out!

We are working diligently to create a process to allow you to pick your FREE EA Game. Given that this is by far the busiest month of the year for our customer support team, we are still working out the final details – but we just wanted to let you know that you can expect an email with a list of available EA Titles and how to place your order for your FREE EA Game soon.

We appreciate your patience,

The Rock Band Team at Harmonix, MTV and EA
Greetings Rocker,
We know you've experienced some longer than expected delays in the replacement of your guitar and we hope that has been resolved to your satisfaction.
The holidays are here and as promised, the Rock Band Team would like to thank you for hanging in there with us through this busy season by giving you a special gift … a FREE EA Game!
The link below will take you to a web page where you can choose from a list of EA Games. YOU MUST REQUEST YOUR FREE EA GAME BY JANUARY 11, 2008! The sooner you make your request, the sooner you’ll receive your FREE EA Game. Your selection will be sent to the same address where you received your replacement guitar, free of charge!
FREE EA GAME LINK
Thank you again for your patience and understanding during this process. All of us on the Rock Band Team wish you and your family the very best this holiday season.
Sincerely,
The Rock Band Team at Harmonix, MTV and EA

[quote name='meesterjojo']At the point of common decency: you know that the new, hard to get, bundle would be sold to someone else, but you'd rather soothe your shit than wait a week for a replacement instrument.

You're so repressed you have no other games to play for a week or two?

Or, as I suspect, you have a huge chip on your shit and you just love to get all angsty with underpaid/underage employees?

Rock on dude.

1) the retailer doesn't know if a product is defective.

2) Given the shortage of the RB bundle, and given that you, like an idiot, returned everything as opposed to the *1* piece which was defective, now a store has to replace *every* instrument in the bundle, and cannot resell any piece of it.

Do you actually look at the bigger picture, or are you like most people and just worry about your immediate needs?

Stop crying.[/quote]

Since when has the idea of capitalism turn into some sort of soclialist tendency. The consumer has the RIGHT to return the defective merchandise to the store, plain and simple, regardless what the product warns or states inside and out, AND regardless of whether or not some other consumer cannot enjoy rock bands treats is ONLY because the product is clearly manufactured poorly. Those of you who take the side of the companies, clearly have things backwards. The blame for the manufactoring defects, the items still being sold with said defects lay squarely with the manufacture and the companies selling the product, NOT the consumer.

I think if I spent 180$ on something I would also return it to the store, either for replacement or refund. I would also make sure to buy from a retailer like wal-mart who at least would take it back with a receipt rather than a Gamestop that will argue to the last second before they let you return it.

Regardless of the bigger picture it would be my money wasted on a faulty product and I would want it back. Also if I chose to spend 180$ on one game it better be built well enough to last me a good 20 years!

I've only scanned the thread a bit, but don't all the Rock Band bundles have that sticker clearly saying you need to contact EA about any defects? I noticed this in the store the other day. I mean, not that I'm the biggest GS fan, but if that's the policy the company distributing the game has laid out, then isn't that what the company selling it is suppose to honor?

It's an analogy to the Rock Band thing.

The officer is the giver of the ticket; however, the officer is not the law, he represents the city/county/ect.
You go to the courthouse to take care of the ticket.

The store sells you Rock Band; however, the store is not the maker, they simply pass along the merchandise.
You go to the maker, EA, to take care of the product.

Why is gamestop seriously just full of assholes? You returned it within 7 days. That's their policy, they should refund it no questions asked for fucks sake.

As for your analogies, this is a little different. GS sold him a defective product, so they have to honor their policy. In which then GAMESTOP will take it back to EA. A games a game, screw the "superceding" crap.

You're really lucky that you used AMEX and not payed cash.

[quote name='reibeatall']It's an analogy to the Rock Band thing.

The officer is the giver of the ticket; however, the officer is not the law, he represents the city/county/ect.

The store sells you Rock Band; however, the store is not the maker, they simply pass along the merchandise.
You go to the maker, EA, to take care of the product.[/QUOTE]

It's a really dumb analogy.

[quote name='Leek']Why is gamestop seriously just full of assholes? You returned it within 7 days. That's their policy, they should refund it no questions asked for fucks sake.

As for your analogies, this is a little different. GS sold him a defective product, so they have to honor their policy. In which then GAMESTOP will take it back to EA. A games a game, screw the "superceding" crap.

You're really lucky that you used AMEX and not payed cash.[/quote]

Gamestop doesnt take it back to ea.

It takes it back to GAMESTOPS warehouse where it attempts to get it fixed.

I know, since I used to be a manager at one.

Good lord Leek..

You know, I used to do tech support for Panasonic. Used to get people all the time that needed to send things in for repair. Many of them were brand new products, of course you were given the freedom to tell them that they should exchange it if it was within the period from where they bought it. I'm of the few here that believes that if a product falls within the merchandise return/exchange period, they should honor it. Of course, if its not, then good luck. I agree with the OP that most people are just letting themselves get railroaded, thus making it harder for everyone else. I don't care if they "have a great RMA program", you just dropped 160 bones on a product thats supposed to work.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Gamestop doesnt take it back to ea.

It takes it back to GAMESTOPS warehouse where it attempts to get it fixed.

I know, since I used to be a manager at one.

Good lord Leek..[/quote]
I'm not a "lord" and you fail heavily in your signature. Mr. "Heart of Chill". A policy is a policy, GameStop should state on certain games that their policy is void and that the consumer should be take it back to the manufacturer

[quote name='Leek']I'm not a "lord" and you fail heavily in your signature. Mr. "Heart of Chill". A policy is a policy, GameStop should state on certain games that their policy is void and that the consumer should be take it back to the manufacturer[/QUOTE]

Congraulations on repeating yourself two times in that response and in a childish way, Oh wait you are a child afterall. :applause:

[quote name='Tirade']Wait, so let me get this straight..

You're saying (and you said it twice in 2 different posts), that I should have RMA'd our drums and guitar (which were broken out of the box), and waited a few weeks to play the game so that someone else could buy the game?

Im sorry if Im having trouble following you. At what point does someone elses time/money become more important than mine? I buy a product, take it home, notice its broke and Im supposed to "suck it up" because if I exchange it I might be keeping someone else from buying it?[/quote]
Stop being anti-social and hiding behind the 'net/your games and realize there is a whole world of people out there. Things you do, or don't do, affect people (it's not just in Mass Effect, guy).

[quote name='Tirade'] Interesting thought... dumb as shit, but interesting.[/quote]
Yes, concern for your fellow human is interesting, but I don't feel it's "dumb as shit", in fact I make a habit of it. Lots of people do, actually, but you probably don't get much interaction with us.

[quote name='Tirade'] I like where this is going though. Maybe we should apply it to everything!

Tirade: "Hey man, I just bought the TV from Sears and its dead out of the box, Im going to take it back and get another one"

meesterjojo: "No way man, that TV is a hot item and hard to find. if you exchange it you're going to keep someone else from watching TV."

Tirade: "You're right dude, I'll just send it back to Samsung and wait a few weeks to watch my new TV because I dont want to keep someone else from watching TV. Their enjoyment is way more important than my family's".

dumbass[/quote]
The problem is you had 1 item broken, so you claim, and there was a well known and established procedure for handling it which would have potentially benefited you more, and done no harm to other consumers. In your trite example you attempt, unsuccesfully, to compare a TV, which are never in short-order, to your video game.

While the concept of concern for your fellow human can be applied outside of your Rock Band bundle, such as with Wii scalping (by not doing it), it's a concept in which the end result will vary according to the situation. And in your example you still fail to note that there was an established procedure which results in a quick turn-around, and not having to trash an entire boxed bundle, and sometimes results in a free item from the publisher/manufacturer.

[quote name='Tirade'] RB is pretty easy to find where I live. Every GS has 4-8 PS3 bundles and Wal-Mart had over 10. I saw a stack of them at Best Buy today and Toys-R-Us had 4.[/quote]
'Grats, where I am they are not, and I've been reading reports of poor Canadians having purchased the bundle in the U.S. for hundreds over MSRP prior/during their weak release. I can't find a bundle here in the city, but after my Wii hunt, I'm not as eager to do the same.

[quote name='Tirade'] When it comes to my hard earned money, I worry about my needs over the "bigger picture"[/quote]
Obviously. You're only human, sadly. I shouldn't expect you to be the Zarathustra of the gaming world. Nonetheless what about other peoples hard earned money, the fact you're trashing an entire box bundle for 1 piece, and that you're crying about the treatment received from underpaid employees as a video game store?

[quote name='Tirade'] Oh and yes, I do have a GH guitar laying around, but if you had a clue, you would know they arent compatible on the PS3.[/quote]
Here's your original post:

"I guess all the problems with Rock Band has got the Gamestop crew on edge. I wanted to exchange my defective Rock Band bundle with a working one (and I was within my 7 days) but was told by both employees that the EA sticker on the front of the bundle that says "If something doesnt work, please contact EA for a replacement instead of returning it" supercedes the Gamestop return policy posted in the store and on my receipt.

It took 20min and a call to a manager, but you can bet your ass I got a new bundle. I was told that if this bundle is defective that I must RMA it, I cant exchange it again. Whatever, let them try and pull that shit. There might be a broken Rock Band bundle in my house, but every last penny will be back on my Amex card and GS can take it up with Amex."

Where's the part about the PS3? Should've gone with the 360 version then, eh? I'm not a mind reader...yet

Anyway, you seriously failed here. Want to try me again? I left you lots of ripe little holes to take advantage of...but I doubt you're that smart :(

[quote name='reibeatall']It's an analogy to the Rock Band thing.

You go to the maker, EA, to take care of the product.[/quote]

Ummm sorry but this analogy fails, utterly, a policeman writing a ticket to someone is not similar to a store selling an item to a buyer.

When an officer writes you a ticket, he not selling anything. He is not entering into a legally binding contract with a buyer, nor does a police officer by writing you a ticket trigger any express or implied warranties under contract law or consumer protection laws about a product.

However, when a store sells an item to a person they are not merely passing it along, the store is entering into a legally binding contract with the buyer. This contract concerns an item which carries certain express and implied warranties under both contract and consumer protection laws.

Given these differences, claiming that GS or any other store thats sells an item to a buyer is like a policeman writing a person ticket is clearly wrong. A store like GS has certain legal responsibilities to a buyer which are totally different from any legal responsibilities an officer has writing a person a ticket.

bread's done
Back