UPDATE 10/16: Movie Gallery files bankruptcy, GameCrazy stores NOT affected

Think about it, slidecage, they have the game biz just about sewn up for pre owned, but their fledgling attempts to sell dvds in store has been a bit of a failure. So, buy a competitor with established stores and walk into the biz with ready made retail locations.

I'm not 100% sure it could happen, but it might.

I worked for Blockbuster for a year, and then jumped ship to work at GameCrazy. During that time, Movie Gallery bought Hollywood/GameCrazy. Trust me, they're both owned by the same conglomerate. That's why Rhino went out of business -- three game stores is too much for one business to manage. I still have memos from Blockbuster higherups with the Movie Gallery logo, and I'm almost positive I have the "Welcome To The Movie Gallery Family" packet they sent us at GC when they bought everyone out. I quit not too long after that.. Movie Gallery treats Hollywood/GameCrazy managers like shit.

But yes, they are indeed both owned by Movie Gallery. A quick Google will turn that up.. Or you can just take my word for it. Either or.

MG isn't selling GC, it's the only division that is currently turning a profit.

MG doesn't own BB. MG owns Hollywood which competes with Blockbuster. Why would you think that MG owns Blockbuster, and why would they have two of their own companies (blockbuster and hollywood video) be rivals? think before you type, people.

I'm pretty sure MG doesn't own Blockbuster. Can someone show proof of MG buying Blockbuster? That makes no sense, why would one company have two of its chains rivaling each other? Blockbuster wanted to buy Hollywood Video in 05 and Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video and GameCrazy instead. Where's proof that MG owns/bought Blockbuster?

Well, as part of the panic over the potential closing of Gamecrazy I had preordered the Star Wars PSP bundle pack (to burn $200 of my credit). While I'd like the Vader PSP I don't even play the regular PSP I have so it was completely unnecessary. I returned it today while picking up Beautiful Katamari. I'm glad to read this upon my return though - I will continue to sit on my credit for the time being. My "out" can always be a PS3 if I need to dump credit quickly.

I did preorder Mass Effect today though, so that's another $60 to burn if I pick it up.

[quote name='jaysapathy']I worked for Blockbuster for a year, and then jumped ship to work at GameCrazy. During that time, Movie Gallery bought Hollywood/GameCrazy. Trust me, they're both owned by the same conglomerate. That's why Rhino went out of business -- three game stores is too much for one business to manage. I still have memos from Blockbuster higherups with the Movie Gallery logo, and I'm almost positive I have the "Welcome To The Movie Gallery Family" packet they sent us at GC when they bought everyone out. I quit not too long after that.. Movie Gallery treats Hollywood/GameCrazy managers like shit.

But yes, they are indeed both owned by Movie Gallery. A quick Google will turn that up.. Or you can just take my word for it. Either or.[/quote]

Blockbuster Inc. and Movie Gallery are two separate companies. They competed with each over who would buyout Hollywood Video some years back. Blockbuster use to be owned by Viacom, but they became a separate entity sometime during the 90s.

Blockbuster and Movie Gallery are RIVALS and not affiliated in anyway. Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video / GameCrazy. Blockbuster is not a part of Movie Gallery/HollywoodVideo/GameCrazy.

[quote name='jaysapathy']I know this probably doesn't fare well for the majority, but I'd like to chime in my two cents here. Haven't seen it posted (or maybe just passed over it), but has anyone mentioned that Movie Gallery owns Blockbuster too?

That means that not only are the GameCrazys in danger, but so are what little of the GameRush stores left. Maybe Movie Gallery will just sell off their stock in GameRush, just like they did with Rhino when MG aquired BB. It's sad, but the internet is just ripping things apart..

Jay[/QUOTE]you, my friend, are very sorely mistaken. easy logic: if Movie Gallery owned Blockbuster, and Blockbuster wanted to buy Hollywood, why did Movie Gallery buy Hollywood instead of Blockbuster? If that's too difficult to understand:
In December 2004, Blockbuster announced it wanted to pursue a hostile takeover of Hollywood Video, its major U.S. competitor. In response, Hollywood Video agreed to a buyout in January 2005 by a smaller competitor, the Dothan, Alabama-based Movie Gallery.
edit: just saw this.[quote name='jaysapathy']I worked for Blockbuster for a year, and then jumped ship to work at GameCrazy. During that time, Movie Gallery bought Hollywood/GameCrazy. Trust me, they're both owned by the same conglomerate. That's why Rhino went out of business -- three game stores is too much for one business to manage. I still have memos from Blockbuster higherups with the Movie Gallery logo, and I'm almost positive I have the "Welcome To The Movie Gallery Family" packet they sent us at GC when they bought everyone out. I quit not too long after that.. Movie Gallery treats Hollywood/GameCrazy managers like shit.

But yes, they are indeed both owned by Movie Gallery. A quick Google will turn that up.. Or you can just take my word for it. Either or.[/QUOTE]how about not...

Question is, if what Scorch brought up happens, what would Gamestop do with Game Crazy? Would they just absorb the inventory & close the stores or continue to have them up & running?

[quote name='jaysapathy']I worked for Blockbuster for a year, and then jumped ship to work at GameCrazy. During that time, Movie Gallery bought Hollywood/GameCrazy. Trust me, they're both owned by the same conglomerate. That's why Rhino went out of business -- three game stores is too much for one business to manage. I still have memos from Blockbuster higherups with the Movie Gallery logo, and I'm almost positive I have the "Welcome To The Movie Gallery Family" packet they sent us at GC when they bought everyone out. I quit not too long after that.. Movie Gallery treats Hollywood/GameCrazy managers like shit.

But yes, they are indeed both owned by Movie Gallery. A quick Google will turn that up.. Or you can just take my word for it. Either or.[/quote]
Maybe Movie Gallery bought that Blockbuster franchise store? Because Blockbuster is owned by Viacom. If Blockbuster was owned by Movie Gallery, why would Blockbuster be the only one offering a online rental service? Plus Blockbuster would be pushing those damn $.25 disc protection plans I get offered every fucking time I rent from Hollywood Video(oh, BTW, now HV is now offering magazine trials so you have more crap to put up with).

Scorch brought up the mention that this might signal that Movie Gallery will sell Game Crazy to Gamestop. Which begs the question if it does happen. Will they just absorb the inventory & close the stores or keep them open?

[quote name='tangytangerine']Maybe Movie Gallery bought that Blockbuster franchise store? Because Blockbuster is owned by Viacom. If Blockbuster was owned by Movie Gallery, why would Blockbuster be the only one offering a online rental service? Plus Blockbuster would be pushing those damn $.25 disc protection plans I get offered every fucking time I rent from Hollywood Video(oh, BTW, now HV is now offering magazine trials so you have more crap to put up with).

Scorch brought up the mention that this might signal that Movie Gallery will sell Game Crazy to Gamestop. Which begs the question if it does happen. Will they just absorb the inventory & close the stores or keep them open?[/quote]

If Gamestop ended up buying Gamecrazy, it wouldn't really affect me, since the only one 'near' me is about 35 or so miles away from me. But, from time to time, when HWV has their 2/$20 pre owned game deal, I've found some good stuff on the shelves and if GS ever tried to diversify their holdings by buying HWV, I KNOW that sort of sale would end post haste.

bread's done
Back