**UPDATE*** OPPO HM-31 HDMI Switch works great on TWC SA 8300 HD DVR BOX!!!

Chitown021

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Any CAGs have this product:

HDMI AUTO SWITCH

I saw it retail for $99.99 but Amazon has it almost half off. My 1080i HDTV is a couple years old and of course only has one HDMI slot. I want to use my cable box and PS3 with HDMI connection. I read the reviews and it seems to be a mixed bag. Some people are able to plug-n-play and the device works great. Others have had massive compatibility issues.

Here's my setup:

50" Scenium RCA HDTV
Scientific Atlanta HD cable box SA 8300 HDC with DVR (Time Warner Cable)
60GB PS3

Some have reported that as long as they hook up their cable box to imput #1 and the PS3 on #2. The switch will detect the PS3 and change to it. When they turn it off that signal lets loose and it goes back to transmitting via #1.

I guess worst case scenario it is Amazon and I'll be able to return it if there's an issue.
*************************************************************************************
EDIT:

I've documented my trials with the TERK automatic switch. The only other one I'm aware of is made by Philips. Are there any CAGs out there that have gotten an AUTOMATIC switch to work with TWC SA 8300 HDC cable box???

EDIT #2:
Thanks to Lice for the great suggestion. It may be more expensive than the TERK device but it works perfectly with my PS3 and SA 8300 cable box!! PROBLEM SOLVED!

I picked up one of these from best buy. Looks cool, but it doesn't work with certain products. No matter what It would not let my A3 use it. I have confirmed on the AVS forum that almost anyone who uses it on HD-DVD players and some cable boxes get no signal.

Im not saying don't get it, for it worked on my PS3, but you might want to be cautious on your cable box and its probably a no go for the HD-DVD players.

[quote name='Lice']I picked up one of these from best buy. Looks cool, but it doesn't work with certain products. No matter what It would not let my A3 use it. I have confirmed on the AVS forum that almost anyone who uses it on HD-DVD players and some cable boxes get no signal.

Im not saying don't get it, for it worked on my PS3, but you might want to be cautious on your cable box and its probably a no go for the HD-DVD players.[/quote]

Perhaps the HD-DVD player had a

My Hd port was damaged or the TERKs port?

If I was the only one then i would wonder that, but quite a few have had a problem.

[quote name='Lice']I picked up one of these from best buy. Looks cool, but it doesn't work with certain products. No matter what It would not let my A3 use it. I have confirmed on the AVS forum that almost anyone who uses it on HD-DVD players and some cable boxes get no signal.

Im not saying don't get it, for it worked on my PS3, but you might want to be cautious on your cable box and its probably a no go for the HD-DVD players.[/quote]

It seems to be so hit or miss for people I guess the only way to know for sure it to try it out.

[quote name='rmb']just get a manual one at monoprice[/quote]

I looked at several manual or remote models but the main reason for buying one is for it to be automatic. I don't need another remote and it would be a pain to get inside of my entertainment center each time I want to change to another device.

I went ahead and bit the bullet. I bought it from amazon for $56 shipped. If it doesn't work I'll return it.

WOW! That was fast shipping! I selected the free saver shipping and it arrived today! Of course the package said it came from Coffeyville, KS so it didn't have far to go but still that was quick! Once my HDMI cables arrive I'll hook it up and try it out.

One odd thing I noticed. For some reason amazon packed a mini box of Kellogg's Smart Start cereal in the outer box next to the box that contained the switch. I opened it up and was like WTF?!

[quote name='Chitown021']WOW! That was fast shipping! I selected the free saver shipping and it arrived today! Of course the package said it came from Coffeyville, KS so it didn't have far to go but still that was quick! Once my HDMI cables arrive I'll hook it up and try it out.

One odd thing I noticed. For some reason amazon packed a mini box of Kellogg's Smart Start cereal in the outer box next to the box that contained the switch. I opened it up and was like WTF?![/quote]

just a promotional item, i got a razor from them before

[quote name='Cryptosporidium-399']I have this one. Works perfectly for my PS3/Comcast box.[/quote]

I hope it works like that with my Time Warner HD box and PS3. I read several of the reviews and it seemed like some of the people had problems if their cable box had DVR features (mine does as well). I figure worst case if it doesn't work I can return it or possibly even resell it on eBay.

fuck! My HDMI cables arrived today so I finally had a chance to hook the switch up. The switch worked as advertised. It would change flawlessly from my cable box to PS3 there's just one problem... my TV doesn't play nice with it:bomb:

If I hookup my TV to the cable box directly it works fine. When I hook it up thru the switch I get the sound but on screen it has the "DOES NOT SUPPORT HDCP PLEASE CONNECT WITH COMPONENT CABLES TO WATCH TV"

EDIT: I'm considering trying the auto switch Philips makes...SWITCH

[quote name='Chitown021']fuck! My HDMI cables arrived today so I finally had a chance to hook the switch up. The switch worked as advertised. It would change flawlessly from my cable box to PS3 there's just one problem... my TV doesn't play nice with it:bomb:

If I hookup my TV to the cable box directly it works fine. When I hook it up thru the switch I get the sound but on screen it has the "DOES NOT SUPPORT HDCP PLEASE CONNECT WITH COMPONENT CABLES TO WATCH TV"[/quote]

Ouch, bummer.

[quote name='Lice']I warned Ye! Sorry to hear it... Try an Oppo switch. They are great.[/quote]

It's funny because I thought I would have issues getting the automatic switching to work due to the DVR feature. That part worked fine but it seems my TV has handshake issues with the switch. There's just one thing I'm curious about:

CABLE BOX -------------- TV = GOOD
PS3 ------------------------TV = GOOD
PS3 -------- SWITCH ----TV = GOOD
CABLE BOX --- SWITCH -- TV = NO WORKIE! (HDCP COMPATABILITY SCREEN)

If my TV is not syncing up with the switch why does it allow the PS3 signal to pass w/o a problem? Unless I'm looking at this wrong and it's actually the DVR box that's not working with the switch. My HD box is an older model ( I've had it for about 3 years now and I've seen newer, sleeker boxes at relatives houses) I guess I could take it into the Time Warner store tell them I'm having issues, and see if they'll exchange it out...

Hmm, I did some research and it seems the only newer HD DVR cable box TWC offers is the SA 8300HDC. Lots of people are reporting software issues with this model. I currently have the 8300HD box.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the problem is in the cable box the more forums I read about this on the internet.

Well I don't know if anyone out there is still reading this thread but I thought I would share my experience so it might benefit others.

I went to the TWC store in town and swapped out my cable box. I received the slightly newer 8300 HDC unit. Still the same results. From what I've read in the forums it seems it's a firmware issue and TWC hasn't initiated the HDMI port correctly so you get handshake issues when running HDMI through a switch. Back to amazon.com it goes.

Does anyone know of a AUTOMATIC HDMI switch that works with the SA 8300 HDC cable box?

****PLEASE NO MORE MONOPRICE SUGGESTIONS I'M LOOKING FOR AN AUTOMATIC SWITCH NOT A MANUAL OR REMOTE CONTROLLED ONE***

Thanks Lice your suggestion worked perfectly! Just got the box from Amazon today. Plugged it in and was up and running within 5 minutes!

bread's done
Back