Updated: MS Fixed it? Console replaced downloaded games only work when on live with

Indiana

CAGiversary!
Xbox replaced now games purchased on live are showing as demos for everyone but the master account. I've read that since MS swapped the console I should be able to download the games again to fix this.

Is this true? Do I need to delete the games first? Because I tried just clicking on it in my download history and it says downloaded even though it didn't download it and it still doesn't work.

Do I need to call MS again?

Update: MS has a fix.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/account/postrepair.htm

Thats what happens when you get your shit replaced.

Your purchases are tied to your original console online and off, but once you get a new one you're only able to play 'em while connected to Live. I imagine callin' 'em and letting 'em know will be just a big waste of your time.

[quote name='Indiana']Xbox replaced now games purchased on live are showing as demos for everyone but the master account. I've read that since MS swapped the console I should be able to download the games again to fix this.

Is this true? Do I need to delete the games first? Because I tried just clicking on it in my download history and it says downloaded even though it didn't download it and it still doesn't work.

Do I need to call MS again?[/QUOTE]

Deleting/redownloading does not work. They need to transfer the DRM license to the new console.

Good luck with that though.

It's working as designed, sorry buddy.

If all you had to do was redownload your games to make them work for any user on the machine, what's to stop you from doing it on all your friends Xbox's? That's Microsoft's fear anyway.

Horray for MS' policies on downloads!

Sucks I know, I'm just waiting for my console to die and lock all my Rock Band songs to the gamertag.

Hearing all of these DRM issues make me glad that I have a constant connection to XBL, but it obviously sucks for others. Just stay away from Puzzle Quest, right Shipwreck?

Thanks for the info everyone. I've read multiple conflicting reports on this issue and wanted to make sure this was the way it is... It really sucks that MS won't fix this. How hard is it to automatically tie the content to the new console? They know your old console is dead they have it now!!!! MS should fix this, why haven't they?

[quote name='thrustbucket']It's working as designed, sorry buddy.

If all you had to do was redownload your games to make them work for any user on the machine, what's to stop you from doing it on all your friends Xbox's? That's Microsoft's fear anyway.[/QUOTE]

I would assume that they would set a special tag on your accounts after you ship them the console and they replace it. That way you can do this one time, and one time only. It wouldn't be that difficult to implement.

[quote name='Indiana']I would assume that they would set a special tag on your accounts after you ship them the console and they replace it. That way you can do this one time, and one time only. It wouldn't be that difficult to implement.[/quote]

Yeah, you'd think...

but instead...

fuck YOU!

thats the Microsoft way. :roll:

i believe in some gdc shit i read their current offical stance is to credit yoru account with the xblm points for the content.
which means you get points, though you cant actually rebuy the games and make them work offline.
fuckers

[quote name='paz9x']i believe in some gdc shit i read their current offical stance is to credit yoru account with the xblm points for the content.
which means you get points, though you cant actually rebuy the games and make them work offline.
fuckers[/QUOTE]

That's not the current stance. The current stance is for you to create a silver account, Microsoft (after verification) credits all your points spent to the newly created silver account and then you use the points to download the items again to tie them to the new console on the silver account.

The major problem? Microsoft can't always verify everything you've ever bought.

has someone who's split a license and gotten the console half had success with getting their DLC back? The drive on my machine has failed and I don't know if I should send it in and risk losing all my DLC or just pop the box open and change the drive out, myself.

Slightly off topic, but when I got my 360 back from repair, I noticed Hexic HD works without having the Arcade Vol. 1 disc inserted. All other games on that disc still need the disc in the system to play.

Well I'm glad they fixed that as I'm sure my 360 will eventually die. It'll be a bitch redownloading all 50-some odd XBLA games I have, but it's better than nothing.

Got my replacement back in mid-December, but didn't contact MS about my DRM issues until a month later. It wasn't until a week ago I noticed that my DLC works offline after re-downloading them.

[quote name='spydey']Best news I heard all day. I'll do it as soon as I get home. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Yeah if it doesn't work make sure you call them so that they can fix it on their end. Apparently someone forgot to move our licenses to our new consoles.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Well redownloading did nothing for me, I'll have to call.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you re-download via the download history. Apparently that does something different. If it doesn't work you do have to call because apparently someone forgot to relicense your software.

Wow yea I tried that already and it didn't work. I had my console replaced by M$ so I was disappointed to find out they didn't transfer over my license during the swap. I hate calling tech support, augh. I haven't tried downloading from the history though and man I have a large history. Also I assumed you had to delete the games and then download them again but will it work if you just download again?

Edit: Ok ok it worked for me. You have to go through download history, which is a pain since after one game and me scrolling through it the system froze!, and you don't need to delete the content, just redownload which you don't actually redownload since its done in 1 second.

bread's done
Back