Upgrade from regular 360 to an Elite 40$ (YMMV)

dcm1602

CAGiversary!
At Gamestop you can trade in your regular old xbox 360 + a wireless controller for 100$ and get an xbox 360 elite + wireless controller for 140$ (40$ after the 100 for your old)

Basically you can trade in your old beat up xbox 360 for a nice refurbished xbox 360 elite for 40$.

(Both are without hard drives since your old hard drive will work fine in the elite)

Put YMMV since the trade in values may vary.

Figured this deserves its own thread since trading in an old beatup system for an refurbished elite for 40$ is DEFINITELY worth it.

dont know im thinking you got extremely lucky but this would be very ymmv i checked the website they dont even show backordered elites on there anymore

Also from my experience, unless you are the first person the register the console with MS, the warranty is voided. I know as a bought my roommate's elite and have to fight MS on the warranty. (It's was manufactured 8/08 and the warranty expired 7/09)

[quote name='gi60']So you pay $40 to trade your white X360 into black x360 amd you think that you get a good deal???[/QUOTE]

in all honesty, i would much rather have a jasper arcade than an older non-jasper elite

[quote name='gi60']So you pay $40 to trade your white X360 into black x360 amd you think that you get a good deal???[/QUOTE]

Do some of you not understand that some people in the world have one of the crappy, old 360 model, which no longer has a warranty and it's likely to break soon? I would fucking love to trade in my old PoS for a much newer system, which could potentially still be under MS warrant (HDMI doesn't hurt either).

chances are high you'll be getting a banned console, unless of course you're trading back a banned console, then roll the dice!

Otherwise unless you're real desperate i'd stay away from this one. Kinda funny how M$ hits with a banhammer 3 months ago and Gamestop has an influx of 360's. Now that the bans have slowed to a crawl they'll take unbanned consoles for banned ones.

I like how this coincides with the release of the new Ixtreme fw too.

Too many shades of shady for me.

It's not even worth buying a used Xbox 360 especially with the RROD failure rate with the launch Elites. Do you guys really think saving $30-40 bucks is worth the hassle? YOU CANNOT TRUST GAMESTOP AT ALL WHEN BUYING A SYSTEM, PERIOD!!! I've been through 5-6 systems and gave up on Xbox 360 and now I'm happy with my PS3 launch system which is going on 3+ years now.

[quote name='mkelehan']Xbox 360 hardware is as reliable as a 15 year old condom: You'll have plenty of fun for a while, but it's way safer to buy new.[/QUOTE]

Its sad and scary that this is your point of reference. Soooooo congrats on the baby?

Is there any way to check if an Xbox 360 is banned through any online site? If so, I'd bring my original Xbox 360 Premium (no HDMI) with my laptop and tethered to my phone so I can check on the spot if the Xbox I'm trading for is legit.

Oh my GOD - the people who aren't thinking and coming into this thread typing crap.

You trade your OLDER 360 that is having problems, but plays (loud fan, occasional freezing, way out of warranty) for a possibly NEWER 360 (possibly elite, HDMI port, still under Microsoft warranty, possibly not having problems) plus $40.

Then, see the YMMV and voila! there is your thread. Yes, you might not get an Elite (call before!) and you might get something with a problem (get the extended warranty!), but you MAY get ahead nice on this deal.

[quote name='dcm1602']Manufactured date 9-16-2009 (says right on the back of the unit)

Thats brand new baby

MICROSOFT WARRANTY Expires 03/01/2011[/QUOTE]

That is correct unless the unit was purchased, red ringed and then traded into Gamestop after recieving a MS refurb. The MS refurb only has a 90 day warranty and you don't know when that would have gone into effect. You don't know the history of the console. Clear plastic over the IR reciever doesnt mean shit. But, whatever helps you sleep at night....

[quote name='Tamizander']Oh my GOD - the people who aren't thinking and coming into this thread typing crap.

You trade your OLDER 360 that is having problems...for a possibly NEWER 360...plus $40. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like a shitty deal to me.

Tell you what. I'll make you a deal. I have 2 xbox 360's purchased about 3 years apart. You give me $30 and your 360 and I will randomly pick one of my 2 and send it to you. You don't know the history of either of them or the SKU. You give me money and I give you a random xbox known this gen for dying on people which I may or may not have personally refurbished. Oh and to make yourself feel better I will give you a personal 90 day warranty and you can refer to me as "Gamestop" through the duration of this deal.

This is a moron's deal.

Dont they let you return before 7 days is up? Keep the receipt and if its a banned console you can take it back. Am I right?

$40 for a color change? Well, i can see it if your Xbox is giving you problems and not in warranty anymore to get fixed, but otherwise, I think you can do better than this.

[quote name='dcm1602']Or unless they are still covered by Microsofts FULL warranty which you can check[/QUOTE]

NONE of Gamestop's refurbished consoles are covered by Microsoft's warranty.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69349

Note GameStop refurbished systems are not covered by a manufacturer warranty. Normal GameStop return policy applies.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/Hardware/Warranty/Warranty/ProductWarrantyNew.aspx

A. WARRANTIES

• One Year Express Warranty on Console (Three Years for Three Lights Flashing Red).
    Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, Microsoft warrants to you only (the original retail purchaser) that, during the Warranty Period and under normal use and service, the Xbox Console will substantially conform with the printed user instruction materials packaged with the Console.

/thread

Well, if the first person who owned it didn't register it, you should be good for the warranty. I get what you're saying, but I don't think you earned the "/thread" quite yet.

I have a feeling Gamestop adds that piece about their systems not qualifying for warranty since most people register their consoles.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Well, if the first person who owned it didn't register it, you should be good for the warranty. I get what you're saying, but I don't think you earned the "/thread" quite yet.

I have a feeling Gamestop adds that piece about their systems not qualifying for warranty since most people register their consoles.[/QUOTE]

or maybe Gamestop provides MS with the console ID's of the units they refurb....

either way "by the rules" the Xbox does NOT have a Microsoft warranty intact.

If you are able to have MS honor it then good on you, but that is def YMMV and isnt worth me risking it

EDIT: also, if Gamestop is doing refurbs themselves they have to open the systems and remove the QC stickers which voids the MS warranty. Do they replace those stickers with the same ones MS uses or do they use their own?

[quote name='imri']chances are high you'll be getting a banned console, unless of course you're trading back a banned console, then roll the dice! [/QUOTE]

What if you have a 360 out of warranty that RROD's constantly, but the towel trick gets it to work for bits at a time? MS will send you a refurb for $100, so I'd say $40 isn't a bad deal.

As long as the xbox is not registered then the warranty is valid. (provided it's within 3 years for 3rings and E74)
Take it from the guy that has had 100 xbox 360's go through here.
I've always had the luck of 3 of every 10 systems not being registered and got free repairs from MS.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm.... I may do this since I own the adapter for my old 360 to make it HDMI and it washes out the whites... Hmmm.... what do you think the chances are of the new 360 being black... cause I want it to match the rest of my audio video case... My PS3 is black and my stand is black, my Harmon Kardon is black and my cable box and line conditioner are also black. I have this big "white Zit" that needs to be popped I think!

hmmm... does anyone else also know if you can use your edge card when trading in the system... and do you need your old battery case for the back of the controller?

[quote name='bryenfury']As long as the xbox is not registered then the warranty is valid. (provided it's within 3 years for 3rings and E74)
Take it from the guy that has had 100 xbox 360's go through here.
I've always had the luck of 3 of every 10 systems not being registered and got free repairs from MS.[/QUOTE]

According to Microsoft's terms, you're required to submit a copy of the purchase receipt if you send in an unregistered console. They also expressly state that their warranty will not apply to consoles that people buy used. You may have gotten lucky, but their terms certainly don't back up what you're saying. And even if Microsoft completely let it slide as you state, you're still basically saying it's only going to work 30% of the time.

So far as I know, the only way for an Xbox warranty to be transferred to a new owner is if the original owner had registered it and calls Microsoft prior to the purchase. I did this when I sold my original Xbox and they gave me a form to fill out with my info and the info of the buyer and transferred the warranty over to him.

so i can buy a banned 360 from Craigslist for less than 80 and then go trade it in for a non banned 360 for 40 bucks. A newer 360 not banned for less than 150 is a good deal. My friend still wants a 360 maybe i can sell it to him.

[quote name='MyTeamSupreme']so i can buy a banned 360 from Craigslist for less than 80 and then go trade it in for a non banned 360 for 40 bucks. A newer 360 not banned for less than 150 is a good deal. My friend still wants a 360 maybe i can sell it to him.[/QUOTE]

This thread is quickly turning into people trying to fraud a company which (last time I checked) is not suppossed to be discussed on these forums.

[quote name='Malik112099']This thread is quickly turning into people trying to fraud a company which (last time I checked) is not supposed to be discussed on these forums.[/QUOTE]

I agree... I am sure though that if you do trade in a system that is banned you will be tracked down and forced to make reparations.

[quote name='dcm1602']At Gamestop you can trade in your regular old xbox 360 + a wireless controller for 100$ and get an xbox 360 elite + wireless controller for 140$ (40$ after the 100 for your old)

Basically you can trade in your old beat up xbox 360 for a nice refurbished xbox 360 elite for 40$.

(Both are without hard drives since your old hard drive will work fine in the elite)

Put YMMV since the trade in values may vary.

Figured this deserves its own thread since trading in an old beatup system for an refurbished elite for 40$ is DEFINITELY worth it.[/QUOTE]

So, your trading your old system (Which in my case works perfectly) for a new "OLD' Elite for $40. Another GS anal rape job.

Ok so this is what Gamestop told me when I called. When you trade your system in for a refurb, you dont know what you're getting. All the refurbs are sitting in a box sealed until they are sold. They just grab which ever one, and that one is yours. Employees are unable to open the sealed refurb boxed until they are sold. So for all you know you are trading your system in for the exact same 360.

For anyone who has done this already, how did your experience go? How did you KNOW you were getting an elite?

[quote name='OzzySS']Ok so this is what Gamestop told me when I called. When you trade your system in for a refurb, you dont know what you're getting. All the refurbs are sitting in a box sealed until they are sold. They just grab which ever one, and that one is yours. Employees are unable to open the sealed refurb boxed until they are sold. So for all you know you are trading your system in for the exact same 360.

For anyone who has done this already, how did your experience go? How did you KNOW you were getting an elite?[/QUOTE]

When I called the guy went digging through the boxes in the back for me.

Although I was just asking for a 360 with an hdmi output, and the guy happened to say they have elites for the same price. Guess it depends what employee answers your phone.

So my gamestop has 2 refurbs, do I bite the bullet? Neither of which may even be an elite. I have a launch 360, which red ringed once, and got replaced my Microsoft. Since then nothing has gone wrong, sans the disc read errors which happen about once out of every 4 times I play it. I would like HDMI, and the noise alone makes me not wanna play my xbox. Decisions, decisions...

[quote name='Malik112099']That is correct unless the unit was purchased, red ringed and then traded into Gamestop after recieving a MS refurb. The MS refurb only has a 90 day warranty and you don't know when that would have gone into effect. You don't know the history of the console. Clear plastic over the IR reciever doesnt mean shit. But, whatever helps you sleep at night....[/QUOTE]

lol my 18 month old 360 still has the plastic over the IR receiver, now that you mention it.

If anybody is thinking about this, think twice. I've gotten two refurbished 360s from Gamestop. One lasted about 15 minutes before a red ring, one lasted a day. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

This is a little off topic, but how much does GS give you for a used/non banned 360 System with controller and HD? I have a first generation one that is very loud! No RROD or anything...but I was thinking of getting a new elite at Amazon for $293 (includes $50 amazon gift cert). Do they give you $100 for used systems? I saw some special on the GS website that says they are giving an EXTRA $20 on systems right now too.

Has anyone done this? I would be trading in old system, headset, controller, power supply, component cables, 120gb hard drive. Or am I better off just trying to eBay it?

[quote name='deejayfiggy']This is a little off topic, but how much does GS give you for a used/non banned 360 System with controller and HD? I have a first generation one that is very loud! No RROD or anything...but I was thinking of getting a new elite at Amazon for $293 (includes $50 amazon gift cert). Do they give you $100 for used systems? I saw some special on the GS website that says they are giving an EXTRA $20 on systems right now too.

Has anyone done this? I would be trading in old system, headset, controller, power supply, component cables, 120gb hard drive. Or am I better off just trying to eBay it?[/QUOTE]

that value is for store credit..they give you much less for cash trade ins

[quote name='Malik112099']that value is for store credit..they give you much less for cash trade ins[/QUOTE]

Well, the website has it for $299.99 with the 2 free games, and says "free $50 coupon code" so I assume that if you buy an elite in store you still get the $50 coupon/gift card?

[quote name='deejayfiggy']Well, the website has it for $299.99 with the 2 free games, and says "free $50 coupon code" so I assume that if you buy an elite in store you still get the $50 coupon/gift card?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you will.

The bare system trades for $70 with the wireless controller. A headset gets like $2-3. The 20GB drive gets about $11. There is a $20 bump on trading in the system until Jan 24.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Yes, you will.

The bare system trades for $70 with the wireless controller. A headset gets like $2-3. The 20GB drive gets about $11. There is a $20 bump on trading in the system until Jan 24.[/QUOTE]

actually the bare system gets your 80 with one wireless controller and no hard drive. Add 20 for the trade in credit and there you have your 100

[quote name='mtxbass1']Yes, you will.

The bare system trades for $70 with the wireless controller. A headset gets like $2-3. The 20GB drive gets about $11. There is a $20 bump on trading in the system until Jan 24.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for the info. What I will probably do is take in the system and headset...and eBay the 120gb hard drive. With the extra $20 bump and the $50 gift card (for buying new system), I'm basically getting the elite for around $150 or so...even less after I sell the 120gb HD. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

[quote name='DemonGamer24']Do some of you not understand that some people in the world have one of the crappy, old 360 model, which no longer has a warranty and it's likely to break soon? I would fucking love to trade in my old PoS for a much newer system, which could potentially still be under MS warrant (HDMI doesn't hurt either).[/QUOTE]

lmao.

if you only trade your X360 to GS because it's likely to break soon, do you think other people will trade their X360 in good condition for $ 80 or $ 100 store credit ??? You'll most likely get a POS too since a lot of people are like you, only traded when there is something wrong with it.

And just fyi, Gamestop only refurb a system that being traded as broken system (you'll get $ 40 less the last time I check, so $ 40 store credit for a broken x360). And it's not Microsoft factory refurb.

And the system that they tested for 2 - 5 minutes, is put back straight to their inventory. And most of us know the towel trick right?

Getting $100 credit is very good for your old x360.. but don't use it to buy another POS... use it toward a new system!

bread's done
Back