Upgrading 360?

TarHeelTalent

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I bought my first 360 last year and it is a 120 GB Elite. Its been working fine, but I am a bit worried about it red ringing at some point. I've thought about upgrading to a slim from AWD (4GB has been around $150 a good amount of times) for this reason and also to reduce the noise it makes.

I would sell my old console, but am wondering what the best bet would be for the memory. I am fine with 120 GB, but I would probably want to use more than just the 4 GB in the slim. I could keep the hard drive and sell the console without, but how much would that reduce the price by? Otherwise, if I include the HDD then I need to buy another one and also a transfer cable. Where can I find the cheapest HDD and transfer cable to use? After all this would it even be worth upgrading at this point?

you can rig the old HDD to fit the slim. there's tons of videos on youtube showing how...on the other hand your elite's TIV or sale value would drop but you're still saving on a HDD. Transfer cables run about $14.99 - $19.99, it's possible to get a used one from GS and then return it for a refund or store credit. YMMV.

is it worth upgrading? only if you think it is. If you have the latest fatboy chip set it should be very resilient to RROD just don't put it in a sock drawer w/out any ventilation.

How can I tell what chipset it is? I also forgot to mention that I bought the console used. I have made sure to keep it well ventilated, but never know about the prior owner.

I know the old HDD will fit the slim, but if I was to upgrade would it be better to keep the HDD and sell for less or buy a cheap HDD (if there are any somewhere cheap). Is it possible to put a slim 4GB HD into a fat case or only fat HDD out of the casing and into a slim?

[quote name='TarHeelTalent']How can I tell what chipset it is? I also forgot to mention that I bought the console used. I have made sure to keep it well ventilated, but never know about the prior owner.

I know the old HDD will fit the slim, but if I was to upgrade would it be better to keep the HDD and sell for less or buy a cheap HDD (if there are any somewhere cheap). Is it possible to put a slim 4GB HD into a fat case or only fat HDD out of the casing and into a slim?[/QUOTE]

The 4Gb HDD on the slim model is internal, so no.

I would just stay with the elite and save money. With the slim its pretty much the same except for the airflow in the slim is better.

It would be better just to keep your old HDD. The slim 4g model doesn't have a HDD, its internal memory

aside from the slim being quieter due to 1 fan for the cpu/gpu vs 2 on the fatboy, it feel a bit flimsy and easy to scratch. the airflow is better at the cost of more exposure to the guts. don't drink coffee or eat cookies over your xbox.

you can tell what chipset you have by looking at the power brick, it should tell you the wattage. the newer ones I think have a lower wattage. google it to be precise.

only reason why I upgraded from the RE5 xbox to a slim was I got a very good deal selling my fatboy, i would have kept it otherwise as it never gave me any problems.

[quote name='krashhole']Why would anyone stand over their xbox and drink coffee?[/QUOTE]

somehow i picture some slim owners fumbling with the wires in the back with a cookie in their mouth or a cup of coffee in their hand and stuff falling into the large vents....and getting coffee ring of death.

I would just stick with the Elite. We've had our Elite for 3 years and it is the Jasper chipset. We game on it a lot and it's still going strong. Though if you decide to get a Slim, I wouldn't even bother selling the Elite. I would keep both. You won't get much at all for a used 360 these days since everyone is selling them and everyone is scared of RROD.

[quote name='100xp']somehow i picture some slim owners fumbling with the wires in the back with a cookie in their mouth or a cup of coffee in their hand and stuff falling into the large vents....and getting coffee ring of death.[/QUOTE]LOL! Are you guilty of this :booty:

[quote name='krashhole']LOL! Are you guilty of this :booty:[/QUOTE]

no. i make sure to keep all my electronics in near mint condition...most of my stuff looks like it just came out of the box. I did scratch my slim because of the NYKO intercooler is tricky to install but i got over it.

Keep the Elite until it dies. That might be a very long time. If or when the day finally comes the price of a replacement is certainly not going to be higher and may offer some improvements, like yet another chip set process node reduction or a larger hard drive for the current price of the 4 GB model.

Know what you'll need to do if disaster strikes but don't spend money in advance of necessity and no benefit.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']I would just stick with the Elite. We've had our Elite for 3 years and it is the Jasper chipset. We game on it a lot and it's still going strong. Though if you decide to get a Slim, I wouldn't even bother selling the Elite. I would keep both. You won't get much at all for a used 360 these days since everyone is selling them and everyone is scared of RROD.[/QUOTE]

I avoid used 360 systems not because of RROD but because it's highly likely that it's been modded and banned...

[quote name='dirtyvu']I avoid used 360 systems not because of RROD but because it's highly likely that it's been modded and banned...[/QUOTE]

That's another very good point to bring up. I hadn't even thought about that. Keep the Elite!

360 is a love and hate relationship.

love it for the games. hate it cause the hardware is a piece of unreliable garbage.

the 360 is reaching it's limit of being barely able to play the latest games. time is up on this rig.

Anyone have problems with the newer slim model Xbox 360s? I heard from a friend his slim freezes a lot.

I have a 120 GB elite as well and have been considering upgrading with all the deals on hard drives (Newegg) and 4 GB systems (Target) going on sale.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']360 is a love and hate relationship.

love it for the games. hate it cause the hardware is a piece of unreliable garbage.

the 360 is reaching it's limit of being barely able to play the latest games. time is up on this rig.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much summarized my experience with the 360. Have definitely enjoyed the exclusives and better online play...haven't exactly enjoyed owning 3 different 360 consoles, while my 60GB PS3 still chugs along...

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Anyone have problems with the newer slim model Xbox 360s? I heard from a friend his slim freezes a lot.
[/QUOTE]

Had the Reach console since day one.

The only thing that comes to mind is Skylanders glitches/freezes a lot and sometimes the disc spins up but won't read. BUT, this has happened with Skylanders and only Skylanders, leading me to believe it's the game. I've read that others have the same issue with the game.

Other than that, I can't recall having any issues.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']haven't exactly enjoyed owning 3 different 360 consoles, while my 60GB PS3 still chugs along...[/QUOTE]

I wish that was my case. Even though I've burned though 4-5(lost count) RROD consoles, I'd still take it over the PS3. My 60GB PS3 is a $600 paperweight because Sony wants $150 to fix it. 4 RROD repairs cost me a whopping $0. MS actually stood by their product which I appreciate.

Microsoft had no choice but to "stand by their product." They were drowning in bad press over the unreliability of their hardware. Older PS3s were no where near as unreliable as older 360s. I cannot blame Sony for standing pat on what is normal warranty procedures. Microsoft would be the same way if older 360s weren't almost all prone to RRoD.

I upgraded from a Jasper 360 to a slim last year when there was a trade-in deal at GS that made it a pretty inexpensive upgrade. I got a 4 GB slim and put the 120 GB HDD from my jasper into it. Pretty painless. I bought one of those 3rd part drive cases, but apparently you don't really need that. I like having that, though.

Overall the upgrade was worth it to me, but don't expect it to be quieter unless you play games from the DVD (if you don't install). If you play from the HDD, the Slim is no quieter than the Jasper. However the slim has built in WiFi (N), more USB ports, can use Kinect without a separate power cable (which uses up a USB port on the Jasper), and is substantially smaller... and it does have a quieter optical drive. I'd only upgrade if you can do it fairly cheaply, though. Otherwise stick with the Jasper until it dies.

I missed the part that the OP had a Jasper. If you have a Jasper, you're pretty safe. If you're merely upgrading out of fear, don't. I have a pair of Jaspers and they're great.

The benefits are listed by crunchewy. From seeing my friend's 360S in action, it seems to actually load things faster than mine. Just doing things around the dash. I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself. Now, that isn't a feature worth paying money for but it makes it seem more snappy. It also uses less power which while not useful on a monetary scale (the savings you make over a year are insignificant), it does mean that it runs cooler.

But the big big thing is mostly the DVD drive. The older 360 systems sound like jets when the DVD drive is working. Which is a big reason why I try to copy discs to the hard drive.

I've had my most recent 360 console for a couple of years now (as opposed to just a little more than a year for my first brand new one and less than a year for the refurb they sent me), so the newer chips are definitely more reliable.

i just upgrade my FF 250GB Elite to a slim...i bought a 4GB from target...since i swapped out my old 250GB HD to the new slim....i know have a my old elite 360 with no hard drive....

does anyone know if an external hard drive will work just the same even tho the xbox said the HD was "below recomondations"???

will it hold for a few months untill i get a cheap HD??

will it transfer the data back with no problem when i get a cheap HD??

[quote name='aleraiders']i just upgrade my FF 250GB Elite to a slim...i bought a 4GB from target...since i swapped out my old 250GB HD to the new slim....i know have a my old elite 360 with no hard drive....

does anyone know if an external hard drive will work just the same even tho the xbox said the HD was "below recomondations"???

will it hold for a few months untill i get a cheap HD??

will it transfer the data back with no problem when i get a cheap HD??[/QUOTE]

your external hard drive will only be recognized as 16GB of memory. it won't be recognized like your regular Xbox hard drive.

bread's done
Back