Upgrading internet?

Vincedow

CAGiversary!
I want to upgrade my Att DSL internet but i don't want to pay like..30+ :eek:
I have ATT basic, downloading at 75KBps, priced at 19.99.

Can someone suggest some upgrades to make it cheap and fast? What should I say to the phone person to reduce my price? ;o

not gonna look up prices myself, but i had AT&T couple years back, and couldnt even play halo because of such terrible lag. i switched to comcast, and now the only lag comes from cheaters. just something to think about, Comcast has been fantastic, with the only problems being occasionally down in my area now and then.

I want to upgrade my internet connection can I get discount?If you want to upgrade they should give you a discount(ie 3Mbps connection for 19.99).

[quote name='mrx001']I want to upgrade my internet connection can I get discount?If you want to upgrade they should give you a discount(ie 3Mbps connection for 19.99).[/QUOTE]

Really? Do i have to change gateway or..order a new one? Do i just ask?
What's the difference between the Uverse ones?

Also i dislike changing services as I've been with Att for 6 years now. I simply don't want to go through all the trouble with the phone lines and bills.

Uverse has higher speeds and is not available everywhere. If you go on their website and type in your addy or phone number, you can see if Uverse is available in your area or if there are other promos going on.

You probably will not be able to get Uverse for $30. You could also call a rep and see what they can do fro you. They might be able to get you to get an intro price on your new connection speed and when that intro price is about to end, give them a call againa dn see if they can get you a better price than regular (might have to lie like saying you are thinking about leaving them)

My mother is like you. For the past 12 years she has been with att DSL, but I finally got everything together and showed her the stats. For the same price she was paying at att she could get Optimum Online and download things 50 times faster. She finally switched. Switching was surprisingly easy. (not to sound like a commercial) The guy came to our house and plugged in the new modem and even set up the router for us.

My mother was paying $40 a month at att and pays the same at optimum, but optimum does have cheaper plans.

I would recommend switching.

[quote name='kayatai']Seems like there are too many factors in figuring out if an ISP is in your area, etc. You should try something like http://whitefence.com/ to see what deals are available in your area for your local providers.[/QUOTE]

Wow, awesome site, thanks. I'm adding that to my bookmarks.

Yeah, seriously, thanks for the link. I had no idea that AT&T dropped their prices. I like my current IP and I don't know how I feel about switching, but I could triple my speed for only $3 more than what I currently pay (and that's after the first-year price runs out).

[quote name='ZombieToast']Yeah, seriously, thanks for the link. I had no idea that AT&T dropped their prices. I like my current IP and I don't know how I feel about switching, but I could triple my speed for only $3 more than what I currently pay (and that's after the first-year price runs out).[/QUOTE]

:eek: this is ridculous... I pay 19.99 per month, and they have a promotion for 19.99 for a speed that's about 12x my current speed.

Thanks guys, I switched to U-verse for 25$ per month as i happen to be at Chicago where they got U-verse installed :).

What speed would that be? In my area, the cheapest promotion they have is $25 for 3 MBps. I currently pay $50 for 6 MBps, which was the cheapest in town when I signed up two or three years ago. But if these prices are accurate (not sure 'cause it shows my current plan as more expensive), then I could be getting 18 Mbps for $53 ($45 for the first year). Or I could even upgrade to 12 MBps for less than what I pay now. I would lose the awesome customer service I have now, but it's very tempting. Well, I've got a little over a week to think about it...

[quote name='ZombieToast']What speed would that be? In my area, the cheapest promotion they have is $25 for 3 MBps. I currently pay $50 for 6 MBps, which was the cheapest in town when I signed up two or three years ago. But if these prices are accurate (not sure 'cause it shows my current plan as more expensive), then I could be getting 18 Mbps for $53 ($45 for the first year). Or I could even upgrade to 12 MBps for less than what I pay now. I would lose the awesome customer service I have now, but it's very tempting. Well, I've got a little over a week to think about it...[/QUOTE]

I switched to u-verse 25$ a month for 6Mbps. It's good enough :D i download from steam at 1MBPS :)

Definitely a good deal. And personally, I think 6Mbps is just fine. I've been using it for at least two years without any complaints. It certainly wouldn't hurt to go a little faster, though, of course. Heh.

Not sure where to put this, but I didn't want to make another thread. I just got a notice from Charter saying that my account will be suspended for 6 mo. due to exceeding the bandwidth download.

I have been notified 3 times (under my brothers name and didn't even pick up the phone). What I was wondering was could I call and make another account under my name and get internet?

What charter mention is that it is just a account suspension for 6 mo., I don't know if it would affect the address or just the name under the account.

If possible, give me some advice or different ISP that I can rely on. I live in Morganton, NC. No comcast is near me, so I'm limited.

[quote name='yakumo']Not sure where to put this, but I didn't want to make another thread. I just got a notice from Charter saying that my account will be suspended for 6 mo. due to exceeding the bandwidth download.

I have been notified 3 times (under my brothers name and didn't even pick up the phone). What I was wondering was could I call and make another account under my name and get internet?

What charter mention is that it is just a account suspension for 6 mo., I don't know if it would affect the address or just the name under the account.

If possible, give me some advice or different ISP that I can rely on. I live in Morganton, NC. No comcast is near me, so I'm limited.[/QUOTE]

I'm not very informed in this unlike the others who helped me, but I've used DSL, and now u-verse. Pretty happy with what i got, http://www.attsavings.com/morganton-att-north-carolina-internet-deal.html
Just call them again after the promotion ends. Also you might need to buy a dsl modem, which is like..100$.

bread's done
Back