Upgrading PS3 hard drive HELP!

BennyWii

CAGiversary!
So for Christmas i recieved a 500GB hard drive for my PS3. The only problem is that i have no way of backing up my old hd. I had an old external hard drive but i was unable to format it to FAT32, I have a macbook pro (if that changes anything.) At this point I am willing to buy a new external hd that is compatible with both mac and my ps3 (fat32).
Does anyone have any suggestion on which external hd I should buy in order to backup my PS3?
Thank you all!

Why are you unable to format your external hard drive to FAT32? I have a Macbook Pro and have no problems doing this. FAT32 is writable and readable by MacOS X, as well as the PS3.

Any external hard drive should, though.

If you dont have that much stuff to back up.....you can always use a thumb drive. Thats what I did...... I had the same problem you did. The thumb drive was my only solution..... plus they're hella cheap.

i have 80 gb to backup although i could just back up my game saves only. i just dont know how? could i just save those and redownload everything else?

Mac's Disc utility program is able to format fat32. Click erase, and it gives you the option to choose the format. one of them is ms-dos fat.

i did mine like 2 days ago, 40 to 320 GB, i bought a 32GB flash drive of play.com and then deleted stuff i could just redownload after i put the new hard drive in so there was space. now im just gunna sell the flash drive for 3/4 of the price to get some money back, you could try doing that

When i go to volume format a change it to MS DOS Fat then press erase it keeps going back to Mac OS Extended (journaled) I cannot keep it at FAT. Then when i hook it up to me PS3 it says "Connect storage media at the save destination."
So I am just guessing the problem is with this external hard drive it is kind of old, some model of seagate freeagentdesktop media.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: So I just ended up purchasing a new western digital 500gb hd for $80 at Staples and that was easy to format to FAT. Plus I found someone who is looking for an external hd so i will just sell it when I am done.

Holy Sh1t this whole process was way more complicated then I thought/was lead to believe, especially with my old 80gb system. But all i have to do is wait 2h 56min and ill have my new 500 gb system.

bread's done
Back