upgrading to a bigger memory stick

danh920

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
Sorry if this has been asked

Is it as simple as connecting my psp to my pc, saving everything from my old 2gb card into a folder in my computer, inserting my bigger 8gb card to the psp and transferring the files from the desktop back to the psp with the new card?

Thanks for any help

I dont believe it is that simple, unless all you are referring to is media like photos and music. I believe items downloaded form the PSN will have to be downloaded again due to copy protection. Im not positive though...

I just upgraded from a 2gb stick to a 16gb stick and I had no trouble just copying everything off the 2gb stick and then dropping it on the 16gb one. Though at the time the only thing I had that was DRMed was a couple of PS1 games but it seemed to work just fine.

Don't worry danh920, I had to transfer my FF7 file as well, lol. You can just connect your psp to the PC with a USB cable and drag and drop the Game Saves folder (or whatever it's called) to the desktop and then put your other Memory Stick into your PSP and drag and drop the Game Saves folder back to where it belongs.

Or, from what I remember, I think the PSP will let you copy your save over to another Memory Stick from the PSP itself. You just have to hit copy, and it will say "This PSP will ask you to change your Memory Stick: 1 times" or something along those lines.

Good luck to you bro!

[quote name='danh920']Sorry if this has been asked

Is it as simple as connecting my psp to my pc, saving everything from my old 2gb card into a folder in my computer, inserting my bigger 8gb card to the psp and transferring the files from the desktop back to the psp with the new card?

Thanks for any help[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is. I did that when I went from a 1GB to 8GB card.

Have the hidden files shown so you can copy those too.

I should add: Make sure you copy your licenses (some folder buried in other folders) in order for your PSN downloaded games continue to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can either copy the entirety of your old memory stick (file structure intact) to your PC and then back onto your new stick via Windows Explorer, or you can use Media Go to back everything up and then add it to the new stick. PlayStation downloads seem to be linked to the user, so as long as your still using it on your PSP with your PSN ID, it shouldn't matter which memory stick is used.

I've been thinking of upgrading my PSP memory stick as well. Anyone tried a memory stick pro duo dual adapter with 2 microSD cards? Any recommendations for brands that are compatible?

[quote name='riverdragon']I've been thinking of upgrading my PSP memory stick as well. Anyone tried a memory stick pro duo dual adapter with 2 microSD cards? Any recommendations for brands that are compatible?[/QUOTE]

I bought a photofast CR-5400 from Deal Extreme for ~$5.xx shipped and two HP class 4, 8 GB micro SDHC from Amazon on Black Friday for $14.99 each (~$36 total).

After putting everything together and in my PSP, the memory card was not recognized as being present.

1. So, I turned the PSP off (not standby) and back on; which then it showed 14 GB of free space.
  2. I then chose format memory card which gave me the error format failed 80220087; I tried formatting multiple times with the same result.
  3. I then used a PC to just copy all the folders and files from my 1 GB Sony memory stick pro duo.
  4. All the PSN games and demos worked, videos played, and photos displayed. Access for the first time into the CR-5400 2x8GB memory card for photos or videos took several seconds to read.
I did a quick google of '80220087 cr 5400' and see other people had similar results. I don't know how to make the PSP format the cards + adapter; nor why it sometimes won't recognize the card as present.

Since I could power off then on or reinsert the card to get the PSP to see it and I have no problems playing PSN games or watching videos, I stopped trying to fix it.

Memory sticks I have: 1 GB Sony MS Pro Duo, 8 GB Lexar MS Pro Duo, and 2x8GB HP class 4 micro SDHC in Photofast CR-5400 adapter.

In my experience with the CR-5400:
Pros:

• Cheaper to build a 16GB or 32GB card with micro SDHC than buy a MS Pro Duo
  • Holds a lot of videos, photos, and PSN games
Cons:

• Not always recognized when inserted into an already on PSP
I would recommend to watch for sales on 8GB and 16GB MS Pro Duo cards. I got my 8GB Lexar on sale at Adorama.com for $17.95 (I had just missed the $14.95 sale). When I got my 2x8GB micro SDHC cards at Amazon I saw they had a 16GB Sandisk MS Pro Duo on sale for $39.99; if I did not already have the adapter from Deal Extreme, I would have gone this route.

[quote name='danh920']Is it as simple as connecting my psp to my pc, saving everything from my old 2gb card into a folder in my computer, inserting my bigger 8gb card to the psp and transferring the files from the desktop back to the psp with the new card?[/QUOTE]
Yes, that is exactly what I did and everything worked fine.

The only problem is it rearranged my downloaded games into random order. Anyone know how to re-sort that menu?

bread's done
Back