Upgrading to Vista, want to transfer game saves *help*

Nightfall

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I am running XP MCE. My fiancee has Sims 2 and all the upgrades. I have a few games myself. I am going to do a clean install of Vista, and I was wondering how I would go about keeping the saves we have. We don't want to have to start over on our games. Would I just save the whole root folder of each game to a disk, and throw it back in when I reinstall the games in Vista? Or is there some program to use?

Thanks.

Saves for PC games are stored in one of two places. First off most new games store files some where in the My Documents folder. An easy thing to is to back up that whole folder with all hidden folders. Then you get most of the saves. Maybe take out the My Music and My Movies if you store stuff there, since they will take up gigs and gigs of space.

Anyway, in My Documents there will be the company or game name. Look in there for the saves. They are usually easily identifiable. Make sure to get the whole save folder with all the files, some times you need other files. Also look in the My Games folder that is within My Documents. Also make sure you can see your hidden files.

Another place is C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data
Sometimes companies put saves in a folder in there.

And finally, for older games, look in the games actual folder. There is usually a folder where the saves are stored.

If you got any more questions just ask, I have done this so many times. I really back up all my saves everytime.

Also note when upgrading to Vista, the old Document & Settings folder is backed up to Windows.old, so you shouldn't lose anything from there. (That's also where your My Documents folder is by default.) I recommend finding the saves anyway and zipping them up for backup on another drive or something. So that's a) your My Documents\My Games\\ or something, b) Documents & Settings\\Application Data\ or similar, or c) Program Files\\SomeSaves or wherever :)

[quote name='NC-17']Also note when upgrading to Vista, the old Document & Settings folder is backed up to Windows.old, so you shouldn't lose anything from there. (That's also where your My Documents folder is by default.) I recommend finding the saves anyway and zipping them up for backup on another drive or something. So that's a) your My Documents\My Games\\ or something, b) Documents & Settings\\Application Data\ or similar, or c) Program Files\\SomeSaves or wherever :)[/quote]

Yeah, but he is doing a clean install.

Well, it depends, there's the clean install... and the clean install :) The upgrade has has a "clean install" method which does not transfer your programs or settings, but will back up your files as I mentioned.

[quote name='dtarasev']Yeah, but he is doing a clean install.[/quote]

bread's done
Back