UPS f*cking sucks... Resolved, sorta. Conclusion? UPS sucks!

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
As some of you may have known, I won a DS with some games on eBay recently...

But it was taking way too long (was supposed to be there when I got home for Labor day break) and so I just purchased a used DS from a local mom and pop store (and got a free used game with it) when I was home. I used it to play my DS games that have been around before the DS and my brothers games (who got a DS when the price dropped and Nintendogs came out).

Anyway...

My DS and games was shipped by the seller but I never received them. I ask him what's up and he says that they were tracked and marked as delivered to my house (via UPS tracking #) and left on the porch. The address and everything was right.

The problem is, there was definitely no package on my front porch... and no sign of a third DS or the games at my house. I asked everyone in my family and they hadn't even seen the package (it was in a bright yellow box according to the seller).

Now, my package was insured for $200 but I'm thinking that UPS isn't going to reimburse me for any of it since their tracking # shows that it was left on our front porch. To this date, UPS has made 3 wrong deliveries to our house... I'm thinking they delivered the package to the wrong house or it was snatched by someone while sitting on our porch.

I read their insurance policy (what little I found, it's nearly impossible to locate info on their site) and it doesn't say anything about lost packages being covered.

So, am I fucked or should I try their customer service? I ask because I don't really see any reason they would help...

UPDATE
I finally got the tracking # (he gave me the UPS store # which was different than the one for www.ups.com but I got both now).

Funny thing is that it does show up leaving the store he said (in Montgomery, AL) and reaching my house. The thing is that it says this on both UPS store site and ups.com:
-9/14/2005 5:44:00 PM UPS INTERNAL ACTIVITY CODE;THE FREIGHT CHARGES HAVE BEEN REFUNDED MONTGOMERY, AL US (on UPS store site)
-9/14/2005 5:44:00 PM UPS INTERNAL ACTIVITY CODE;THE FREIGHT CHARGES HAVE BEEN REFUNDED MONTGOMERY, AL US (on www.ups.com)

Um... doesn't that mean that they refunded the money? Because he hasn't made any mention of it and instead told me that I'm on my own because I kept saying the tracking # didn't work (which it didn't as I was using the UPS store tracking # on the UPS site, they're different and I didn't know).

What the fuck is going on? I think he's the one fucking with me now... I'm calling UPS tomorrow... I don't care if I have to stay on the line for an hour!

Update #2
Well, I just got an email from PayPal and they decided that the seller was indeed to blame. So far have only been able to get $149.99 of the $174.99 but that part doesn't make sense since I should only be covered for the $149.99 (as there is a $25 fee). Oh well...

I am very surprised that PayPal was the one to have come through... I've pretty much anti-PayPal and rarely use it as it is. But in this case, I'm glad I did use PayPal. They're the ones who've continually shown support with updates and stuff.

My credit card company helped too but they never bothered to call me or anything. But they did freeze the payment... and give me paperwork (which is back at home so I can't do it, at least it's only 2 pages).

UPS... well, just as I figured, was of ALMOST NO HELP at all. They're still trying to find the package though I doubt anyone would give up a free DS with 3 games.

THANK YOU ALL! EXPECT A CONTEST OF SOME SORT SOON... nothing big but I will try to make it open only to those of you who posted in this thread with helpful comments, advice, support, and contributive comments (good or bad, but the stupid ones won't be in it).

They left it on the porch because you signed that paper that says to leave packages. If they don't have that on file then they take it back with them. They try 3 times, then it is left at the UPS center and you pick it up.

Call, in a reasonable and intelligent tone explain the situation, the extremely late delivery date, the past occurences, and the fact that you would like to claim your $200 insurance (you may need to get information from the sender).

If the CS refuses, ask to speak to his/her supervisor. If he refuses, ask to speak to HIS/HER supervisor. Eventually up the chain you WILL find someone who will refund your money.

I know - a similar thing happened to me and they refused, yet I still got my money. The skill of arguing is a wonderful thing.

I don't know whether to blame UPS or shifty neighbors on this one. If they have a past history of not knowing how to read fucking addresses I would definitely bitch them out (nicely so that you can get your money).

Hey man I would definitley NOT believe that seller. The UPS alway's get's things to my house. Did the seller give you the tracking #, because he said he got one, so you should have it so you can check the status on the site. I truly think you got fucked. I am sorry to hear about this, but I would be in contact with Ebay and the seller, because there are alot of idiots out there, and most of them are on Ebay trying to rip people off...., like all those people selling 360's for $200.00. Well I hope it works out well, and you get your cash back.

[quote name='XboxHardcore.com']They left it on the porch because you signed that paper that says to leave packages. If they don't have that on file then they take it back with them. They try 3 times, then it is left at the UPS center and you pick it up.[/QUOTE]

I signed a paper? When? I didn't send it to myself you know.;-) But I get what you mean...

Thanks psiufoxx2, at least I know I'm not the only one... and at least it worked for you.

And UPS is definitely not the most reliable delivery service since I said that we got packages that belong to other people but sadly, we always took it over to the people ourselves so I can't even prove that one.:whistle2:(

If you haven't signed a release form, they should cover it. It is their lazy ass driver's fault. I had the same issue with Airborne (now DHL) and they completely covered the claim. Call UPS and be civil and you might get somewhere. Only let them have it after there is nothing more they can do.

[quote name='Vinny']I signed a paper? When? I didn't send it to myself you know.;-) But I get what you mean...

Thanks psiufoxx2, at least I know I'm not the only one... and at least it worked for you.

And UPS is definitely not the most reliable delivery service since I said that we got packages that belong to other people but sadly, we always took it over to the people ourselves so I can't even prove that one.:whistle2:([/QUOTE]

You know, it could just be the UPS in your area.

>>

[quote name='michael6668']If you haven't signed a release form, they should cover it. It is their lazy ass driver's fault. I had the same issue with Airborne (now DHL) and they completely covered the claim. Call UPS and be civil and you might get somewhere. Only let them have it after there is nothing more they can do.[/QUOTE]

Well, no I didn't sign a release form since I didn't ship it and I was never asked to... so, I guess it's worth a shot.

Will it be a problem that I'm in college and not at home (where it was delivered)?

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']You know, it could just be the UPS in your area.

>>

Did the seller send you the actual tracking number? I know whenever I have something coming by UPS there I can see the details of the shipment with the trackng number. It will show the scheduled delivery date of the package along with the number of pieces (how many boxes) and the weight.

[quote name='spankmenow420']The seller has to file a claim for lost shipment with UPS, they are pretty good especially with items left on the porch as long as it is insured.[/QUOTE]

Ok, that's some relief...

I'm on hold now (on my cell phone) so I'll let you guys know what's up.

EDIT* No, he didn't send me the tracking #... which was a irrational mistake on my part so I asked him for it. I'll see if he can provide it.

Why would he get a tracking number if he wasn't going to give it to you? That seller fucked you over if you ask me. Also they are right, UPS can not leave anything on your porch unless when they try and drop something off and leave that paper saying "tried to deliver on date and time" then on the back it says to sign if you want them to just leave it on the porch. If you didnt sign that then they probably did not drop it off. I would say get your credit card company to freeze that charge.

The insurance policy covers lost packages. The delivery guy takes that chance by leaving it at the porch. I've lost expensive stuff through them before, and they're generally good about refunding shipping charges and paying insurance claims.

When did you tell the seller the package was lost? I'm not sure what's up with that tracking number, but if all this happened recently, it's incredibly unlikely that seller received his insurance claim. It takes some between when the seller reports the loss and when he gets his claim. Definitely call UPS to see what is going on.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']The insurance policy covers lost packages. The delivery guy takes that chance by leaving it at the porch. I've lost expensive stuff through them before, and they're generally good about refunding shipping charges and paying insurance claims.

When did you tell the seller the package was lost? I'm not sure what's up with that tracking number, but if all this happened recently, it's incredibly unlikely that seller received his insurance claim. It takes some between when the seller reports the loss and when he gets his claim. Definitely call UPS to see what is going on.[/QUOTE]

Well, I never told the seller the package was lost... only that I hadn't received it even though he said otherwise (via the tracking #).

I will definitely call UPS and see what the fuck is going on... this guy could've made almost $400 at my cost!:whistle2:x

Sucks dude. Hope you get it all worked out. First, find out what happened to your package. Call UPS and find out. Next, definitely contact the seller and let him know you think something fishy is up. If the guy keeps acting defensively, contact UPS (again) and tell them you suspect fraud. Shipping services are very touchy about fraud, so this isn't a word to be used lightly, but know that if you mention it to UPS/FedEx/USPS, they tend to take you serious. It's a federal crime (might even be a felony) to commit mail fraud, so don't be afraid to fight back if you have to. Good luck!

Oh yeah, don't forget eBay can help you out too... although I don't know how much help they'll be. If you paid with PayPal they might be able to help as well... lots of resources that will be on your side, all you gotta do is ask. Don't let this guy get away with stealing from you (if that's what's going on here).

Just out of curiosity, you say it was a store you ordered from? What was the name of the place? Since amazingly you ordered from my town, I may have heard of the place & could give some input on them.

[quote name='argyle']Just out of curiosity, you say it was a store you ordered from? What was the name of the place? Since amazingly you ordered from my town, I may have heard of the place & could give some input on them.[/QUOTE]

No, I didn't order from a store... the item was shipped from the UPS Store (which is different enough to have it's own tracking numbers and websites for some odd reason).

[quote name='Vinny']No, I didn't order from a store... the item was shipped from the UPS Store (which is different enough to have it's own tracking numbers and websites for some odd reason).[/QUOTE]

But perhaps, since the refund-thingy seems to have happened in Montgomery, argyle can go to the UPS store there with your tracking info, see if they can look it up or if someone remembers something? Just a thought.

[quote name='zionoverfire']UPS doesn't require signature confirmation on a package insured for $200?[/QUOTE]
They apparently didn't for a package of mine that was insured for $350. They left it on my porch and it disappeared.

UPS left a case of wine on my porch that was labeled 'Person over 21 must sign at delivery!' Worked for me as I didn't want the hassle of going somewhere to pick it up.

Calling UPS seems like a great first step.

get on your seller's ass

get his/her contact number and getup in their shit.

I have been scammed 4 times and have always gotten my money back by being direct and very stern. I tracked this one motherfucker through 5 states of false names and numbers just using reverse google and ebay's help.

UPS left a $3500 piece of electronics outside our house.

I never use UPS. I try not to use the USPS.

I have never had a problem with FedEx, DHL, or Forward Air (For big stuff).

Good luck OP, I think you'll need it.

Ok, UPS is pissing me off... I've called the store where it was sent from and they told me to call the 1800 number.

The 1800 is a stupid automated service! It doesn't do jack sh*t except tell me that my package was delivered! WTF?:whistle2:x

I've called my credit card company and filed a dispute or whatever it called... but I doubt that'll help.

And I tried using UPS's online claim thing but for that I have to know the guy's address, phone #, etc. And why the f*ck do I have to know his company???

EDIT Nevermind, I just used eBay for the contact info and put 'none' in the fields I didn't know about.:)

[quote name='Vinny']Ok, UPS is pissing me off... I've called the store where it was sent from and they told me to call the 1800 number.

The 1800 is a stupid automated service! It doesn't do jack sh*t except tell me that my package was delivered! WTF?:whistle2:x

I've called my credit card company and filed a dispute or whatever it called... but I doubt that'll help.

And I tried using UPS's online claim thing but for that I have to know the guy's address, phone #, etc. And why the f*ck do I have to know his company???

EDIT Nevermind, I just used eBay for the contact info and put 'none' in the fields I didn't know about.:)[/QUOTE]

I had some trouble with ups a while back, and I called that same 1-800 number you did(probably, I don't know for sure, but I would assume so.) The one I called had an automated recording to just tell you whether or not the package was delivered or when the delivery was attempted. If you call back, hit 0 a bunch of times, you should be transferred to someone in customer service, that's what I did, since automated systems are a pain in the ass.

[quote name='Vinny']

EDIT Nevermind, I just used eBay for the contact info and put 'none' in the fields I didn't know about.:)[/QUOTE]

That might not work out for you. I work for FedEx and if UPS handles their claims anything like us, any claim payout will go directly to the shipper. That's why it's asking for his info. If you end up with no product and UPS pays out a claim the shipper, you'll really be screwed. Unless the shipper is an honest guy, of course.

[quote name='D3adcell']Why would he get a tracking number if he wasn't going to give it to you? That seller fucked you over if you ask me. Also they are right, UPS can not leave anything on your porch unless when they try and drop something off and leave that paper saying "tried to deliver on date and time" then on the back it says to sign if you want them to just leave it on the porch. If you didnt sign that then they probably did not drop it off. I would say get your credit card company to freeze that charge.[/QUOTE]

If you live in a single family home, UPS can leave packages on your porch if they are out of site and out of weather. A delivery notice will be left if your driver cannot leave the package safely, meaning OOS and OOW, or if your driver does not feel it is safe to leave. Some neighborhoods have known theft problems.

Call UPS and give them the tracking number you were given. They can pull up detailed information as to shipper name and address and consignee (you) name and address. This whole matter sounds fishy to me, especially since the shipping charges were apparently refunded. The shipper may have cancelled the shipment after a tracking number was generated and never actually shipped the items.

If the items were shipped and were not received, UPS will refund you money. If the shipment never took place, the shipper is pulling a fast one on you. Call UPS and discuss it with them. They are a multi-billion dollar Company. They won't lose any sleep over $200. Good luck.

I think you are a fucking dumbass.

UPS is the best goddamn shipper, and because you are a dumbass doesn't change that.

You could have gotten it shipped by USPS and it would get there in 6-8 months in 1,001 pieces and smashed in.

Yea UPS does suck. Their insurance is crap. I shipped a system and games through USPS and they got there in 2 days. was expected to be there in 3-5. They ship the fastest and they dont lose your shit.

[quote name='David85']I think you are a fucking dumbass.

UPS is the best goddamn shipper, and because you are a dumbass doesn't change that.

You could have gotten it shipped by USPS and it would get there in 6-8 months in 1,001 pieces and smashed in.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the contribution!

On a related to this thread note - I once had someone claim they didn't receive the item i sent them. FedEx paid me the insurance money, and I had to refund the buyer. The guy could be sitting on $400 right now. With FedEx, he could call with the tracking number and find out the status, so maybe UPS works the same way.

[quote name='David85']I think you are a fucking dumbass.

You could have gotten it shipped by USPS and it would get there in 6-8 months in 1,001 pieces and smashed in.[/QUOTE]

Oh, thank you. Now... why don't you go back to bed with the UPS man and let the grown ups talk, eh?

I tried calling UPS multiple times but their 1800 number is an automated service, I can't get a customer rep... all I can do is track a package, ship a package or order supplies. And tracking it just tells me it was delivered so it's not helping much.

[quote name='Vinny']I tried calling UPS multiple times but their 1800 number is an automated service, I can't get a customer rep... all I can do is track a package, ship a package or order supplies. And tracking it just tells me it was delivered so it's not helping much.[/QUOTE]I hate those things... they never take you where you want to go or have the option you want. I know for a fact you can reach a service rep through the number though... have you tried pressing 0? Or try getting a rep through another option besides tracking (I know I talked to a rep when I wanted to ship stuff).

[quote name='Vinny']Oh, thank you. Now... why don't you go back to bed with the UPS man and let the grown ups talk, eh?

I tried calling UPS multiple times but their 1800 number is an automated service, I can't get a customer rep... all I can do is track a package, ship a package or order supplies. And tracking it just tells me it was delivered so it's not helping much.[/QUOTE]
A few typing of "0" will end you up at a rep, as does asking for "agent", if it's a voice promting system.

I've never had an issue with getting to a rep at UPS, though if I don't have a tracking #, multiple "0"'s takes care of getting there.

[quote name='shrike4242']A few typing of "0" will end you up at a rep, as does asking for "agent", if it's a voice promting system.

I've never had an issue with getting to a rep at UPS, though if I don't have a tracking #, multiple "0"'s takes care of getting there.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I didn't know about that... you'd think that if that was an option, they'd let you know.:whistle2:k I did say customer service but that didn't work so I figured that there were no more options.

Anyway, it seems like PayPal is heading up the only noteworthy investigation... I filed the complaint and I guess the seller received an email about it- he sent me an email mocking me and saying that I didn't know how to read the information. And then he had the nerve to ask me to cancel the complaint.:whistle2:x

Whatever... even if it isn't his fault, I'll let UPS, PayPal, and my credit card company handle it. I just want my money back or replacements for my stuff.

[quote name='Vinny']Ok, I didn't know about that... you'd think that if that was an option, they'd let you know.:whistle2:k I did say customer service but that didn't work so I figured that there were no more options.

Anyway, it seems like PayPal is heading up the only noteworthy investigation... I filed the complaint and I guess the seller received an email about it- he sent me an email mocking me and saying that I didn't know how to read the information. And then he had the nerve to ask me to cancel the complaint.:whistle2:x

Whatever... even if it isn't his fault, I'll let UPS, PayPal, and my credit card company handle it. I just want my money back or replacements for my stuff.[/QUOTE]
Good luck with it. The fact that you have a credit card involved in this process helps a bit. If it was real money, that might be a different story.

[quote name='Darkfire001']Seller was mocking you? Sounds like he pulled a fast one.[/QUOTE]
Indeed, if he's mocking you, then something is certainly up. I'm agreeing with that thought.

Vinny, I'd talk with Paypal and ask them where you can forward the seller's message, since that might turn the tides a bit more in your favor. Especially if they're mocking you.

Ok, I'll see if that's a possible issue... I know eBay doesn't like that stuff (eBay actually warn a seller for calling me stupid once!) but I don't know if PayPal will care.

Thanks for the advice guys.

bread's done
Back