US / Canada Release Differences?

Darius Rucker

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet but I couldn't find anything. I just purchased a few cheap (new) games from Amazon.com and noticed that the cases have what looks to be French writing in addition to the English. My best guess would be that they were meant to be distributed in Canada. My first thought was that perhaps the publishers only make one version of the covers for both US and Canada, but I went to a Gamestop B&M and saw that their copy of Star Ocean: Second Evolution (PSP) had only English writing on it whereas the one I received had the English / French. The games were purchased from both Amazon.com and from third-party sellers, and I just thought it was strange that 8 out of 10 games I bought came like this.

My question is: are the disc presses the same as the US ones with the only difference being the case and manual? Or perhaps the default language setting is different? Anyone have any experience with this?

I've gotten a few games from Canada before and they're always in English. The only difference is as you said, sometimes there's English/French text on the box/manual.

It depends on the publisher. But some print an english/french case & manual, no matter if it's being sold in the U.S. or Canada. I'm guessing it's to reduce cost of manufacturing them, since they only have to print one version instead of two.

I know Koei(or Koei Tecmo or whatever it's called now) is one that publishes only a english/french case & manual.

I think the packaging has to be uniform now with both english/french or it can't be sold in some places in Canada. Overall its gonna be the same exact game other than manual and artwork differences, USA and Canada are the same region when it comes to video games. Some publishers probably just opt for one type of packaging since its much easier for them.

bread's done
Back