US Firmware 2.0 Discussion (Now Online!) (For Real This Time!)

Well, they said the week of the 15th and that week ends in about 75 minutes. I hope they don't miss it. It's pissing me off. They could just say October for all I care. I just want a firm date.

What's the point of the firmware update and why does everyone want it so bad? I'm just curious, i'm not up to speed on PSP related stuff.

[quote name='Scorch']What's the point of the firmware update and why does everyone want it so bad? I'm just curious, i'm not up to speed on PSP related stuff.[/QUOTE]

My main want is WPA wireless encyption. I had to pull my network back to WEP. While, niether are the most secure for the dedicated intruder, WPA does offer stronger protection.

Also, there's a web browser, h.264 video support, and AAC audio support. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I'm interested in.

[quote name='Scorch']What's the point of the firmware update and why does everyone want it so bad? I'm just curious, i'm not up to speed on PSP related stuff.[/QUOTE]

The main attraction to the new firmware 2.0 is the built in web browser and other enhancements such as custom wallpapers and enhanced video controls.

[quote name='bugg33']The main attraction to the new firmware 2.0 is the built in web browser and other enhancements such as custom wallpapers and enhanced video controls.[/QUOTE]

Now I understand why everyone's waiting on it.. thanks. Yeah, definately want some encryption, I wonder how long it's going to take for DS fanboys to make PSP viruses or something.. oh man, that'd be a nightmare.

[quote name='Scorch']Now I understand why everyone's waiting on it.. thanks. Yeah, definately want some encryption, I wonder how long it's going to take for DS fanboys to make PSP viruses or something.. oh man, that'd be a nightmare.[/QUOTE]

WTF? Scorch? Is that you? You're starting to sound like Quackzilla.

[quote name='Murcielago77']uh, it was only 12:20 when you posted that, just to let you know[/QUOTE]

Whoops. I meant 3:20AM EST/ 12:20AM.

I downloaded the japenese version a couple weeks ago. I think they're going to be the same thing, and it hasn't hurt my PSP.

[quote name='sj41']I downloaded the japenese version a couple weeks ago. I think they're going to be the same thing, and it hasn't hurt my PSP.[/QUOTE]

I know. But it voids your warrenty and I have no interest in doing that.

[quote name='Friedle']I know. But it voids your warrenty and I have no interest in doing that.[/QUOTE]
No, it doesn't. They just can't give you phone or email tech support for the 2.0 firmware until the US 2.0 release.

It does not void any warranty, be it manufacturer or retailer.

I was excited about the US release on the 11th of this month...ever since the 12th, I really could care less after they screwed us the first time.

Japanese firmware on mine now, but I wish sony would at least give us a explanation/hard date...why they do this to paying customers is beyond me.

[quote name='Quackzilla']It does not void any warranty, be it manufacturer or retailer.[/QUOTE]

Yes it does.

Call SCEA. It's unauthorized software.

[quote name='Quackzilla']www.playstation.co.jp

IT WORKS PERFECTLY ON AMERICAN PSP CONSOLES!

If you are anxiously awaiting the 2.0 update, and you don't install the Japanese version, you are an idiot.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I know it works.

But you're missing the point.

I have the Japanese version on my PSP. Works like a charm.

The web browser is nice. They've added a LOT of hotkeys, so that makes it nice. Also, my friend and I were able to swap backgrounds in about 2 seconds, literally. You can also choose a permanent background color, instead of monthly rotation.

[quote name='Quackzilla']www.playstation.co.jp

IT WORKS PERFECTLY ON AMERICAN PSP CONSOLES!

If you are anxiously awaiting the 2.0 update, and you don't install the Japanese version, you are an idiot.[/QUOTE]
If you don't agree with every stupid thing this man says, you are an idiot. :roll:

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']If you don't agree with every stupid thing this man says, you are an idiot. :roll:[/QUOTE]
Because it's perfectly logical not to install an update that is not from an American site even though it is the exact same update as the American one releasing a month later.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Because it's perfectly logical not to install an update that is not from an American site even though it is the exact same update as the American one releasing a month later.[/QUOTE]

It voids you're warrenty. What's logical about that?

[quote name='CheapyD']Weird, it was there before, I saw it![/QUOTE]

You're not crazy, lol. There was a 2.0 page there and when I clicked on "Agree" to download it had the June date of 1.52. And then it downlaoded 1.52.

I'm thinking that they were just going over/stress-testing before the update went live since it wasn't on the PSP page anyway. It was on the staging sub-domain.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Yeah, they haven't put it up for download off their site yet. You have to do it via the psp itself.[/QUOTE]

Just in case anyone needs more confirmation, I just downloaded 2.0 via the PSP Network Update.

Strange--I just checked it via the PSP udate, and it says I have the latest version (which is Japanese 2.0)

I wonder if it just is reading it as 2.0 and not differentiating between japanese and US release.

I distinctly remember sony saying the US version would overwrite the japanese firmware...this is strange.

[quote name='JDMxB']Strange--I just checked it via the PSP udate, and it says I have the latest version (which is Japanese 2.0)

I wonder if it just is reading it as 2.0 and not differentiating between japanese and US release.

I distinctly remember sony saying the US version would overwrite the japanese firmware...this is strange.[/QUOTE]

Guess it doesn't :lol:

bread's done
Back