US Games in Japan

bsschorr

CAGiversary!
I was recently looking at the top 10 list that Game Informer publishes every month for Japan and noticed that there were no US games in the top 10; I went back and checked several months worth of issues and found that there were also no US made games in the top 10. I do not know how accurate the list GI publishes is, but does anyone have any idea how popular US games are in Japan? Also if you have some titles and rough sales figures that would be great as well; if this data is true I find that amazing since roughly half of the US top 10 is from Japan and the US produces some pretty good games.

1. PC gaming isn't too big in Japan. A lot of the best US-made games are for PC. See Korea instead.

2. On consoles, often the US-made games are FPS or licensed stuff. FPS just aren't that popular in Japan and the licensed stuff for American TV shows most often is not either.

Historically there haven't been that many non-Japanese-made games that do well over there. GTA has done very well comparatively, the Donkey Kong Country games, Tetris, some others.

the Crash Bandicoot games are million seller even in Japan. As for Japan PC market, there are some dating sim and text adventure that are successful in Japan.

bread's done
Back