US proposes cellphone ban for truck drivers

Dreadnought10

CAG Veteran
I think that cell phones shouldn't be banned for truck and bus drivers. I don't think we should discriminate against someone just because they drive a truck. However, I believe that the trucking companies should be allowed to decide whether or not they want to permit their truckers to use cell phones while driving or not.

WASHINGTON - The U.S. government on Friday proposed prohibiting commercial truck and bus drivers from using cellphones while behind the wheel.

The Transportation Department rule would affect approximately 4 million drivers, who are already banned by the government from texting while working.

The proposal is the latest move in Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood's stepped-up campaign against distracted driving in which he has questioned cellphone use in passenger cars and "hands free" communications technology.

"Every time a commercial truck or bus driver takes his or her eyes off the road to use a cellphone, even for a few seconds, the driver places everyone around them at risk," LaHood said in a statement.

Nearly 5,000 people were killed and another 500,000 were hurt in crashes of all vehicles involving a distracted driver in 2009, government safety figures show.

Inattention was a factor in 9 percent of large truck crashes, which fell overall in 2009 from the previous year. Most truck crashes involve collisions with other vehicles.

Read more: http://www.cnbc.com/id/40724585

Makes sense, also makes sense if it's just illegal overall while driving.

Also, there are obviously going to be laws that apply only to certain occupations.

[quote name='SpazX']Makes sense, also makes sense if it's just illegal overall while driving.

Also, there are obviously going to be laws that apply only to certain occupations.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. It should be just be illegal for everyone.

I actually have what I would concede is a minority opinion on this topic. I don't think it should be banned.

If people die every year because someone was using a phone, then so be it. Driving is dangerous in and of itself. Lots of lives would be saved every year if we just made driving illegal, but we don't. Why? Because we are willing to deal with the lives lost every year because of our desire to drive.

Well I have a desire to talk on the phone and use my phone while driving. I think I can do it responsibly and safely, i.e. while at a red light, or while on speaker phone, or while traveling slowly.

Maybe if my mom died in a car accident or something I woudl feel different, but I for one think that this is an issue where we ought to more carefully weight the risks/rewards of banning it.

A blind statement like "It kills people so we shoudl outlaw it" is ridiculous. SHoudl we lower speed limits and demand everyone wear helmets while driving? It would save lives.

[quote name='Pittpizza2']I actually have what I would concede is a minority opinion on this topic. I don't think it should be banned.

If people die every year because someone was using a phone, then so be it. Driving is dangerous in and of itself. Lots of lives would be saved every year if we just made driving illegal, but we don't. Why? Because we are willing to deal with the lives lost every year because of our desire to drive.

Well I have a desire to talk on the phone and use my phone while driving. I think I can do it responsibly and safely, i.e. while at a red light, or while on speaker phone, or while traveling slowly.

Maybe if my mom died in a car accident or something I woudl feel different, but I for one think that this is an issue where we ought to more carefully weight the risks/rewards of banning it.

A blind statement like "It kills people so we shoudl outlaw it" is ridiculous. SHoudl we lower speed limits and demand everyone wear helmets while driving? It would save lives.[/QUOTE]

In terms of safety and your stance, we should allow drunk driving to be legalized in the United States as well.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-6090342-7.html

http://www.distraction.gov/research/PDF-Files/Comparison-of-CellPhone-Driver-Drunk-Driver.pdf

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/texting-while-driving-statistics.html

Nice Point Cindersphere. Seriously it is an interesting argument. It is sort of a slippery slope argument. "IF we let people use cell phones and it is dangerous, then we will lean toward allowing all kinds of activities that are dangerous."

The slippery slope argument cuts the other way too though. Maybe it is dangerous to eat a bannana, put on makeup, or let 16 year old girls drive, so we will lean toward outlawing these kinds of acitivities.

I guess how you feel depends on your answer to this question: "Should we outlaw dangerious activities just because they're dangerous."

One way I would differentiate your drunk driving comparison is this: You can't control how you drunk drive as well as you can control using the cell phone, and drinking affects your decision making too, unlike using a cell.

There are different ways to use cell phones while driving. If I wanna see who I got a missed call from, that might be as easy as changing the radio station in my car. Surely nobody would contend that we shouldnt have radio's or GPS's in cars, because those are distracting.

Texting I don't agree with, it is too attention intensive. YOu have to bury your head in your phone so to speak. But hands free cell phone use, checking missed calls, or talking without being buried in your phone, should all be legal IMO.

Also driving at any level under .1 or .08 BAC in most states IS legal. So we therefore have weighed the freedom of being able to drink MODERATELY while still being able to drive, and struck a balance.

I'm just saying the same balance needs to be struck with cellphone use, and I think outlawing texting and gaming would be sufficient.

Truck drivers are already held to a higher standard as it is, this wouldn't be much different.

Wait, this is a Dreadnaught thread isn't it.... god. damn. it.

It should be banned for everyone. Almost every fucking time I see someone do something stupid on the road, they're using a cell phone. It should be treated like a DUI.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Wait, this is a Dreadnaught thread isn't it.... god. damn. it.[/QUOTE]
you can almost hear 'problem?' from a tiny voice in the distance

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It should be banned for everyone. Almost every fucking time I see someone do something stupid on the road, they're using a cell phone. It should be treated like a DUI.[/QUOTE]

Agree 110%, it's ALWAYS the case.

Not even a question that it should be banned for everyone because, let's face it, most people don't pay enough attention to their driving as it is and habitually distracting themselves on top of it is unacceptable.

[quote name='QiG']Agree 110%, it's ALWAYS the case.

Not even a question that it should be banned for everyone because, let's face it, most people don't pay enough attention to their driving as it is and habitually distracting themselves on top of it is unacceptable.[/QUOTE]

I see you are also in Ohio. This makes perfect sense. I've never seen such crap drivers anywhere else. Slow AND stupid.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I see you are also in Ohio. This makes perfect sense. I've never seen such crap drivers anywhere else. Slow AND stupid.[/QUOTE]

If memory serves me right from my trips to southern Ohio, you guys have some 4 and 5 lane stretches of highway around Columbus (we don't have more than 4 lanes around Cleveland and they're very short stretches at that). But it never failed that I knew I was in Columbus because there'd be some moron in EVERY lane matching speeds with the car next to it.

It's pretty bad when you cross the Ohio-Michigan border through Toledo as well. The road is pretty torn up west of Toledo and once you hit Michigan and the speed limit is 70, people are going 80+ in the slow lanes.

[quote name='QiG']If memory serves me right from my trips to southern Ohio, you guys have some 4 and 5 lane stretches of highway around Columbus (we don't have more than 4 lanes around Cleveland and they're very short stretches at that). But it never failed that I knew I was in Columbus because there'd be some moron in EVERY lane matching speeds with the car next to it.

It's pretty bad when you cross the Ohio-Michigan border through Toledo as well. The road is pretty torn up west of Toledo and once you hit Michigan and the speed limit is 70, people are going 80+ in the slow lanes.[/QUOTE]

Here in Michigan my advice on driving is don't, and stay the fuck away from roads. It's not safe. My friends parents used to get at least 1 crash a month in their yard, no joke.

RI/MA is just generally a lot of fun. A common theme is that no one uses directionals and to drive below the speed limit and break a lot in the fast lane. Not that the planning of the roads helped any. It seems like at a moment's notice you're in the exit-only lane to somewhere completely away from where you need to go.

[quote name='Pittpizza2']I actually have what I would concede is a minority opinion on this topic. I don't think it should be banned.

A blind statement like "It kills people so we shoudl outlaw it" is ridiculous. SHoudl we lower speed limits and demand everyone wear helmets while driving? It would save lives.[/QUOTE]

That's idiotic. I have a hard time believing that you only use your phone during red light situations, speaker phone, or traveling slowly. I'm not sure what traveling slowly will do anyway. Damage may not be as great at 30 vs 45 mph, but 30 is fast enough to kill someone who steps into the road or clip a motorcycle because you're not paying full attention to the road.

Fact of the matter is, driving is necessary, cell phones in cars and trucks are not. If you need to make a call, pull over and make a call. Unfortunately, even if you are a master at using the phone in the car and have 100% concentration on the road, there are others that are not capable of multitasking and drive worse than being drunk.

Now, a car will do a lot of damage if it smashes into something, but have you seen what an 18-wheeler is capable of? I understand people die every day from stupid things that could have been prevented. Unfortunately, people are too dumb to not do things themselves which is why laws have to be banned. Something like smoking isn't going to kill someone else if you keep doing it (okay, so argue 2nd hand smoke if you want), but I certainly don't need to be t-boned in an intersection by some stupid person who needs to talk to their bff about their latest purchase at the mall.

NY has banned cell phones in cars. Your options are hands free headsets, bluetooth, or pulling over and making the call from the side of the road. As far as I know, this extends to texting as the law I believe implies that no buttons should be pressed during the conversation. I could be wrong, but texting is stupid too.

[quote name='QiG'] But it never failed that I knew I was in Columbus because there'd be some moron in EVERY lane matching speeds with the car next to it.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's Columbus.

I second the sentiments on RI/MA. All the drivers are crazy fuckers. But at least usually they aren't slow as fuck like OH drivers. You know at least one lane is going to go at the speed limit or above unless there's crazy traffic. Commonly in Ohio you'll have 2 lanes and both lanes are going the same speed- below the speed limit- with no traffic.

Missouri drivers going through Illinois are just as bad. They never get out of the fast lane. I've driven coast to coast several times and I'd say everyone is a bad driver now a days.

As for truck drivers, cell phones should be illegal and there should be mandatory piss testing at weigh spots. Weigh your truck and piss into this little cup. Thanks. If your results are positive, expect to get pulled over by the highway patrol and thrown in the slammer.

I have trouble banning their cellphone usage because their job is being on the road all day, every day. Most also have been driving for a long time with vehicles 20x the size of a normal one without incident.

I'd definitely say that banning all non-emergency cellphone usage of bus drivers and handheld usage for cab drivers is crucial though. Buses make frequent stops and have people constantly getting on/off (LOL) and people to watch out for. Cabbies might need to use their phones for route information, etc.

My friend drives coast to coast and never talks on the phone without his head set. He's even had to call me back later and say "Sorry dude, my bluetooth was charging." So some people can use it the way it's intended. Jack up fines for those who don't. No need to ban phones. These guys are already on the road and leaving their family for days and weeks at a time. Don't take the little bit of contact they have with home. Truckers take a lot of crap, but try going to the store and buying something that didn't get loaded off a truck. Tons of goods are hauled around the nation every day, and most of the time with no problems.

Dude. They get paid to drive goods around. If you can't stay off the phone long enough to get your work done, find another job or work from home.

The one thing that pisses me off about cell phones and phones in general now is that people can't go fifteen minutes without calling someone and bullshitting. Get to effin work and talk to them on your breaks, lunch, or on your way to your car.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']My friend drives coast to coast and never talks on the phone without his head set. He's even had to call me back later and say "Sorry dude, my bluetooth was charging." So some people can use it the way it's intended. Jack up fines for those who don't. No need to ban phones. These guys are already on the road and leaving their family for days and weeks at a time. Don't take the little bit of contact they have with home. Truckers take a lot of crap, but try going to the store and buying something that didn't get loaded off a truck. Tons of goods are hauled around the nation every day, and most of the time with no problems.[/QUOTE]
Except bluetooth distracts drivers just as much as holding the phone in your hand.

If it's a mental distraction rather than a physical distraction, that can happen with the radio or someone in the passenger's seat. The problem with being on a phone and driving is that you only have two hands and phones are getting more and more complicated, thus requiring more attention. Bluetooth solves that problem as you wear it on your person rather than holding it.

As far as talking on their break, you're so horribly out of touch it's laughable. Most truckers are going through entire states over a period of days. It's not driving a FedEx truck from one end of the city to another.

[quote name='cindersphere']Except bluetooth distracts drivers just as much as holding the phone in your hand.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. How many of us drive one handed normally? By only banning the physical hand holding of the phone (not headsets) you gut the purpose of the law. Not that I am in favor of it anyway, all kinds of distractions occur in the car every day. Eating can be a distraction, but you won't get charged with doing it unless you are driving recklessly. Why isn't cell phone use charged under that rule?

Does banning cell phone use without a headset while driving save lives? Sure, would banning headsets as well save many more lives? Sure.

Three groups have large interests in the laws of talking while driving. The people, Cell phone companies, and government. If they are really trying to make it more safe they would ban cell phone use entirely. They may be trying to make it more safe but the law in its entirety was influenced by ticket income, and lobbyists.

Think of how many more headsets, and bluetooth the phone companies sell as a result. Then think of how many tickets the government gets to give out. Do not think this was not a factor to be considered when they created the cell phone ban in new york among other states.

[quote name='davo1224']If it's a mental distraction rather than a physical distraction, that can happen with the radio or someone in the passenger's seat. The problem with being on a phone and driving is that you only have two hands and phones are getting more and more complicated, thus requiring more attention. Bluetooth solves that problem as you wear it on your person rather than holding it.

As far as talking on their break, you're so horribly out of touch it's laughable. Most truckers are going through entire states over a period of days. It's not driving a FedEx truck from one end of the city to another.[/QUOTE]

Studies have been done that show accidents involving cell phone use are caused by the mental distraction far more often than the physical one.

[quote name='Knoell']Does banning cell phone use without a headset while driving save lives? Sure, would banning headsets as well save many more lives? Sure.[/QUOTE]

Is there some study that shows Banning headsets > banning cellphones - headset, in terms of lives saved?

Yeah I'd be interested to learn the science behind it. I'd imagine more people get in accidents while one hand/shoulder is occupied rather than not. I actually have an easier time driving with someone on the phone than I do with someone in the car. I wonder why that it is.

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong but it seems like there was no difference between the two cell phone categories, so much so that they comapred cell phone use unilaterally against drunk driving. I definitely see their findings on a daily basis however.

[quote name='IRHari']Is there some study that shows Banning headsets > banning cellphones - headset, in terms of lives saved?[/QUOTE]

Banning cell phones = removing a physical distraction.

Banning cell phones and headsets = removing a physical and mental distraction.

It seems fairly simple to me that the more focused we are while driving the less accidents there will be. My point is that cell phone bans that allow headsets are useless laws and a perfect example of the government doing things half way. I don't agree with them banning the use of cell phones, because there are plenty of other things that distract you in a car, but I just wish the government would stop rendering itself inept because it tries to please everyone. Pick a way to go, and stick with it. Talking on your phone while driving distracts you too much? OK then ban talking on a phone. Do not make an exception that defeats the purpose of your law in its entirety.

Otherwise it oddly looks like you are making a cash cow out of the law.

[quote name='Knoell']Banning cell phones = removing a physical distraction.

Banning cell phones and headsets = removing a physical and mental distraction.

It seems fairly simple to me that the more focused we are while driving the less accidents there will be. My point is that cell phone bans that allow headsets are useless laws and a perfect example of the government doing things half way. I don't agree with them banning the use of cell phones, because there are plenty of other things that distract you in a car, but I just wish the government would stop rendering itself inept because it tries to please everyone. Pick a way to go, and stick with it. Talking on your phone while driving distracts you too much? OK then ban talking on a phone. Do not make an exception that defeats the purpose of your law in its entirety.

Otherwise it oddly looks like you are making a cash cow out of the law.[/QUOTE]

So hilarious that you are pro-regulation when it comes to true nanny state bullshit like talking on my cellphone in my car but you're just fine and dandy with any big corpo exploiting the downtrodden and poisoning all creation so that we can buy cheaper shit at wally world.

I agree with banning cell phones in a limited capacity.

Banning Cell phone use by truck/bus drivers - yes
Banning texting for everyone - yes
Banning texting/cell phones for new drivers under 21- yes (assuming they get their license when they're 16-18)

But I think banning cell phones outright is not necessary. Driving with one hand on the wheel and one hand on the phone is possible, but tough when changing lanes or merging. If you're an experienced driver, driving and talking on a cellphone/headset shouldn't be an issue. It isn't for me. If you are driving down a freeway straight away for a long distance and not merging, or changing lanes, it doesn't take a lot of focus to stay safely on the road. It's when you're driving in the city and making lots of turns, merges, etc. when it's a problem.

Also, car integrated bluetooth and headsets make it safe enough to drive and talk.

[quote name='camoor']So hilarious that you are pro-regulation when it comes to true nanny state bullshit like talking on my cellphone in my car but you're just fine and dandy with any big corpo exploiting the downtrodden and poisoning all creation so that we can buy cheaper shit at wally world.[/QUOTE]

So hilarious that you didn't read the part that says I am against the cell phone while driving ban. I live in New York, we have a cell phone ban, I completely disagree with it. The part that really frustrates me is that while I can talk on the phone while driving pretty easily I will get a ticket, while someone with a headset who is looking for their plug, or the headset itself to turn it on and answer the phone while still being mentally distracted by the conversation is somehow legally driving.

Point 1 - I disagree with the law. Why? Because there are plenty of other things that distract a driver such as eating, talking to someone next to you, radios, ipod, gps, children, makeup, changing, etc, etc, etc. Why do they pick on cell phones? Because they are so widely used and they can ticket them in the name of safety.

Point 2 - If I have to live with the law (which I do), I would like it to actually accomplish something.

Get it? Got it? Good.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='2DMention'] If you're an experienced driver, driving and talking on a cellphone/headset shouldn't be an issue. It isn't for me.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that most people are uncoordinated morons. Most people aren't like you.

[quote name='Knoell']So hilarious that you didn't read the part that says I am against the cell phone while driving ban. I live in New York, we have a cell phone ban, I completely disagree with it. The part that really frustrates me is that while I can talk on the phone while driving pretty easily I will get a ticket, while someone with a headset who is looking for their plug, or the headset itself to turn it on and answer the phone while still being mentally distracted by the conversation is somehow legally driving.

Point 1 - I disagree with the law. Why? Because there are plenty of other things that distract a driver such as eating, talking to someone next to you, radios, ipod, gps, children, makeup, changing, etc, etc, etc. Why do they pick on cell phones? Because they are so widely used and they can ticket them in the name of safety.

Point 2 - If I have to live with the law (which I do), I would like it to actually accomplish something.

Get it? Got it? Good.[/QUOTE]

Just when I thought you couldn't make less sense, you go and outdo me.

if we don't let truckers use cell phones, how will they figure out where the best truck stop ho's are?

[quote name='nasum']if we don't let truckers use cell phones, how will they figure out where the best truck stop ho's are?[/QUOTE]

They already have CBs.

I think we should make CBs standard in all cars so we can bitch out nearby shitty drivers.

Just coming home from work this evening some dipshit was drifting over into my lane. Of course when I see him at the traffic light the asswipe was using a cell phone.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The problem is that most people are uncoordinated morons. Most people aren't like you.[/QUOTE]

Actually, 2DMention is the biggest uncoordinated moron of them all.

[quote name='camoor']Just when I thought you couldn't make less sense, you go and outdo me.[/QUOTE]

What? You cannot understand my post? How else can I spell it out for you?

I am against the cell phone while driving ban.

Clear enough?

[quote name='prmononoke']Actually, 2DMention is the biggest uncoordinated moron of them all.[/QUOTE]

Probably he just thinks he's a good driver. Like all the other bad drivers.

[quote name='Knoell']What? You cannot understand my post? How else can I spell it out for you?

I am against the cell phone while driving ban.

Clear enough?[/QUOTE]

Except when you're for it.

[quote name='Knoell']If I have to live with the law (which I do), I would like it to actually accomplish something.[/QUOTE]

Stop getting pushed around. Grow a fucking spine and think for yourself.

[quote name='prmononoke']Actually, 2DMention is the biggest uncoordinated moron of them all.[/QUOTE]

Fail. I've been driving for 18 years and have never been in an accident. 4 of those years I've used cell phones. 3.6 of them were driving with the phone in one hand.

[quote name='camoor']Except when you're for it.

Stop getting pushed around. Grow a fucking spine and think for yourself.[/QUOTE]

......How am I for it again? I will spell it out for you again.

I do not agree with a cell phone ban while driving.

If we are conclusively saying talking on your cell phone while driving distracts us to the point of needing to ban them, then why are we allowing talking on our cell phones(headsets)? Especially when we are conclusively saying the talking part is the main distractor, not the one handed part.

Stop getting pushed around? Think for myself? WTF are you talking about man?
[quote name='SpazX']I say your 5 cent titanium tax goes too far!

I say your 5 cent titanium tax doesn't go too far enough![/QUOTE]

Nice try but your example doesn't compare.

How can you not see that if I temporarily accept one's logic, I can critique it effectively. How is it outrageous to say I don't want to ban cell phones while driving, but if you really think it is too dangerous and you are going to push a law through, then ban CELL PHONES while driving.

Well ask these guys that think you can't have an opinion about something if you disagree with it.

It is like telling someone that you don't think they should go outside because it is too cold out. And then saying if you do go outside against my advice then put a coat on.

In their world you can't tell someone to put a coat on because you don't think they should go outside in the first place.

I think they should ban cell phone use while driving - it is dangerous as hell (it is illegal in NJ at least). So is texting. Hands free should be OK though - I think the dialing is the hardest part. Some day there will be phones built into every car that are voice activated and things will be a lot safer.

bread's done
Back