USATODAY Too Paranoid...Star Wars Called Out On Bush Slamming

Ozzkev55

CAGiversary!
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2005-05-17-sith-politics_x.htm
[quote name='Dumbasses At USAToday']Since early screenings of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith began last month, film critics, commentators and Internet bloggers have been debating whether filmmaker George Lucas is comparing President Bush and the Iraq war to the Dark Side of the Force. The conservative film site Pabaah.com has called for a boycott. The topic even made NBC's Today show.

Bush beneath the mask? To many, Revenge of theSith seems to be touching on current events.
Lucasfilm

Lucas said Sunday at the Cannes Film Festival that the movie was written before the Iraq war. "We were just funding Saddam Hussein and giving him weapons of mass destruction," he said, adding, "The parallels between Vietnam and what we're doing in Iraq now are unbelievable."

Still, some see echoes of Bush in the film.

In one scene, Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader tells his onetime mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, "If you're not with me, you're my enemy." The line is seen as a reference to Bush's post-Sept. 11 threat "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

The White House declined to comment on the controversy.

Josh Griffin, a self-described "conservative Star Wars fan," says he cringed when he heard the dialogue at a recent advance screening of Sith. "Star Wars is meant to be a children's movie ... not to be a political statement about someone's liberal ideology."

Even a perception of bias could hurt a film's bottom line, some say. The crucial summer moviegoing season usually makes up 40% of a year's box office revenue; this year, ticket sales are down 7% from 2004.

"If people feel Lucas is pushing a parallel between the Galactic Empire and present-day America, I think people will be turned off," says filmmaker Jason Apuzzo, co-editor of the conservative film blog Libertas (libertyfilmfestival.com/libertas).

But others applaud Lucas for taking a stand.

"As a liberal and a Democrat, it was comforting," says Slant magazine film critic Ed Gonzalez. "Star Wars is created by real people, starring real people, so it's inevitable it will reflect real-life issues," even if it is sci-fi fantasy.

Freelance writer Craig Winneker, who accused Sith of bias on the webzine Tech Central Station, says he nonetheless loved the film. "I'm not going to hold a grudge against the movie or base my opinion on world events because of something Yoda says."

People who have seen early screenings of Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith are noting parallels to the Bush administration:

• Sith plot: Seeking to strengthen security during wartime, Chancellor Palpatine persuades the Senate to give up civil liberties and elect him emperor for life. "So this is how liberty dies — to thunderous applause," Senator Amidala laments.

• Bush plot: Seeking to strengthen security after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, President Bush urged legislators to pass the Patriot Act, which opponents say infringes on civil liberties.

• Sith's war: Palpatine starts a war to divert attention from his true political motives.

• Bush's war: Bush persuades Congress to go to war with Iraq based on evidence that has now been largely dismissed.
[/QUOTE]

My Call...Paranoid Bullshit

The stupidity is strong in that paper.

People are stupid, plain and simple. Lucas has been telling the story for years and years and years, way before Bush became what he is today.

If games were just coming out now and Pac-Man was to be released next week, they'd compare it to someone chomping down drugs.

This just goes to show how ridiculously paranoid conservatives have become. Are they so insecure that they need to look for attacks in sci-fi movies? Apparently

you know what people should have a problem with? the fact that they can draw some comparisons between bush and darth vader.

personally, i think everyone is insane. it's just a movie, and i highly doubt it has any intentional similarities to any of today's issues.

Indeed, stupidity abounds, though I don't totally buy the "it was written before" jive either, every movie has rewrites in production, Lucas could've easily changed certain dialog (but nothing as big as major plots of course). Still it's sorry to even suggest that, and the critic you see quoted above is why I hate most film critics. I mean war, scandals, etc have been waged many times to distract attention away from other situations prior to both Bush and even the idea of Star Wars.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']This just goes to show how ridiculously paranoid conservatives have become. Are they so insecure that they need to look for attacks in sci-fi movies? Apparently[/QUOTE]

Ummm you do realize that it's a self admitted liberal/democrat who says such notions are in there...When it comes to things such as this, don't pass all of the stupidity off to one side or the other, there's plenty to spread around I'm sure.

Hehe, Lucas said in an interview that he wrote the script nearly 20 years ago and the whole government thing was directed at Richard Nixon...oh well, I could care less, I just hope the movie is good :)

USA Today seems so fanboyish...OMG HE BASHED EL PRESDENTE DEATH BY ARTICLE!!!111

or something

[quote name='evilmregg']I sense a disturbance in the force. Perhaps this should be moved to the "Vs." forum?[/QUOTE]
Really you think so

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Really you think so[/QUOTE]

Was that a question, as in, "Really? You think so?" Or perhaps it was a statement, as in, "Really, you think so." Was it ironic or sincere? *sob* I just can't tell!

Ya know, that is the way dictators often gain power (besides outright force), the war thing is the only one that really seems to differ, but they usually pick an enemy, just depends whether they start fighting it right away or not. That was the most logical progression of events he could show, in fact, considering the way the story has been written in the previous 5, it would be hard not to draw parallels to bush.

[quote name='thatstoobad']you know what people should have a problem with? the fact that they can draw some comparisons between bush and darth vader.

personally, i think everyone is insane. it's just a movie, and i highly doubt it has any intentional similarities to any of today's issues.[/QUOTE]

You know that was my first thought as well, found it far funnier President Bush could be compared to a tyrant so easily. As for it hurting ticket sales, funniest thing i've read all day.

[quote name='evilmregg']Was that a question, as in, "Really? You think so?" Or perhaps it was a statement, as in, "Really, you think so." Was it ironic or sincere? *sob* I just can't tell![/QUOTE]
it was the one with the question marks

[quote name='alonzomourning23']it would be hard not to draw parallels to bush.[/QUOTE]
Parallels, i can understand, comparisons, but this is USAtoday claiming that Star wars is attacking bush, its frontpage of AOLnews, which is sad, and it states "Is Star Wars Attacking Bush"

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Ummm you do realize that it's a self admitted liberal/democrat who says such notions are in there...When it comes to things such as this, don't pass all of the stupidity off to one side or the other, there's plenty to spread around I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

I know a liberal/democrat said the notions are in there. But it was a conservative who suggested boycottig the movie because of it.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']They said the same thing last year with "The Day after Tomorrow". I call and declare that this is BULLSHIT!! oh yes, i went there.[/QUOTE]

They get pretty insane with those things. For example, conservative talk show hosts calling "earth day" the equivalent of christmas to liberals, or the day after tomorrow liberals version of passion of the christ.

Josh Griffin, a self-described "conservative Star Wars fan," says he cringed when he heard the dialogue at a recent advance screening of Sith. "Star Wars is meant to be a children's movie ... not to be a political statement about someone's liberal ideology."

I hate that guy.

didn't he stick the Ewoks in RoTJ as a criticism of US foreign policy? I don't doubt that some political ideas could surface in the film, but if you are starting a dictatorship, wouldn't those quotes make sense?

it may be in there, but stating if you are with us or aganist us as proof is really weak.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']They said the same thing last year with "The Day after Tomorrow". I call and declare that this is BULLSHIT!! oh yes, i went there.[/QUOTE]

I'll second that. It's pitiful when they're actually comparing Bush and Star Wars. It shows that they've got nothing better to report on. I mean, this is so farfetched that it would be a perfect episode of South Park.

Ready for the mind-fuck?

You can also see similarities between Bush and Chancellor Valorum from Episode I.

Valorum:
-Comes from a family line that has served the government in high ranking positions previously
-Comes from a family that is affluent and has business interests some view as conflicts of interest
-Considered to be part of a corrupt government
-Considered to be too aloof and out of touch with the people
-Surrounded by advisors that either offer poor advice or keep him ineffectual
-Presides over a government divided over issues of war, security, and trade

The Republic happily sealed it's own fate by tossing Valorum in favor of Palpatine. Subtle hidden message under the most obvious one?

The real question is...who's more annoying? Howard Dean or Jar Jar?

I'm a liberal and I watch 24, I don't see why the conservatives can't shut the fuck up and either watch it or choose not to. Don't bitch about the media, just ignore it.

[quote name='PsyClerk']Ready for the mind-fuck?

You can also see similarities between Bush and Chancellor Valorum from Episode I.

Valorum:
-Comes from a family line that has served the government in high ranking positions previously
-Comes from a family that is affluent and has business interests some view as conflicts of interest
-Considered to be part of a corrupt government
-Considered to be too aloof and out of touch with the people
-Surrounded by advisors that either offer poor advice or keep him ineffectual
-Presides over a government divided over issues of war, security, and trade

The Republic happily sealed it's own fate by tossing Valorum in favor of Palpatine. Subtle hidden message under the most obvious one?

The real question is...who's more annoying? Howard Dean or Jar Jar?[/QUOTE]

A colleqague today suggested to me that the trade federation in Episode I was possibly a subtle metaphor of the World Trade Organization. I don't know if I believe it, but I know that I don't care. If you allow yourself to be informed or propagandized, turned on or turned off by Star Wars, you're likely too lazy to become involved in the day to day political discourse (given the pitiful level of political activity inherent in boycotting fucking Star Wars).

myke.
...I'd say Bush is more Jar-Jar than Darth, anyhow.

Really? How So?

[quote name='WeaponX2099']By typing it?[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I meant, how did they slam "the day after tomorrow"?

cheney-dubya-sith.jpg

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Sorry, I meant, how did they slam "the day after tomorrow"?[/QUOTE]

Post #21 should give you a general idea.

I have absolutly no doubt that Lucas is trying to draw some comparison. Seeing as what he has said in the past I am actually shocked that it has to be discussed if it is happening.

I don't care if Lucas agrees with me or not I just like AT-ATs.

[quote name='Zman310']Post #21 should give you a general idea.[/QUOTE]
Im sorry im not seeing the reference, Passion Of The Christ, and Day After Tomorrow. Ill need some specific references

Methinks DaT (that's what the cool kids call it) is about some kind of typical Hollywood CGI-heavy apocalyptic shit, but it has something to do with complete environmental disregard. By insinuating that mankind treats nature like a pimp treats a ho that hasn't turned any tricks, conservatives go bonkers and claim that it's both propaganda and a conspiracy.

myke.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Im sorry im not seeing the reference, Passion Of The Christ, and Day After Tomorrow. Ill need some specific references[/QUOTE]

I think it has something to do with both movies supposedly portraying the suffering of something that both sides "worship" (Jesus in the Passion for conservatives, the environment in Day After for the liberals.) Yes, it is incredibly stupid.

[quote name='mykevermin']Methinks DaT (that's what the cool kids call it) is about some kind of typical Hollywood CGI-heavy apocalyptic shit, but it has something to do with complete environmental disregard. By insinuating that mankind treats nature like a pimp treats a ho that hasn't turned any tricks, conservatives go bonkers and claim that it's both propaganda and a conspiracy.

myke.[/QUOTE]
Thnx Myke, I see it now

[quote name='mykevermin']Methinks DaT (that's what the cool kids call it) is about some kind of typical Hollywood CGI-heavy apocalyptic shit, but it has something to do with complete environmental disregard. By insinuating that mankind treats nature like a pimp treats a ho that hasn't turned any tricks, conservatives go bonkers and claim that it's both propaganda and a conspiracy.

myke.[/QUOTE]

Nicely put :)
Another way to, more or less, sum up what I'm trying to say.

From Townhall.com

As with other Leftist cadres, Eco-theologists have learned well the value of co-opting media outlets to influence public opinion. Their most recent big-screen entry, "The Day After Tomorrow," was strategically released just prior to last year's presidential election. The movie, a ridiculously overblown fantasy about global warming, suggests that the consequences of such warming might be the rapid development of an Ice Age, and that all the Chicken Littles should take note.

The movie was marketed as "fact-based fiction," but it played so loose with the facts that it could have passed for a Michael Moore crockumentary. National Geographic asked Tom Prugh, senior editor at the Worldwatch Institute, for comment, and he noted, "Like some other Hollywood movies that claim to be based on true stories, there's a kernel of truth that is then pumped full of steroids and given cosmetic surgery. ... It has been 'Hollywoodized'."

Last year, many groups tried to use TDAT as propanganda (sp). The President in the Movie was supposed like Bush. It was bullshit then and it is now.

Dune did a much better job of drawing parallels to real wars then star wars ever did. And Dune was written over 20 years ago.

Fedayeen, Jihad, spice in the desert that controls all travel in the universe -- it's all in there.

[quote name='camoor']Dune did a much better job of drawing parallels to real wars then star wars ever did. And Dune was written over 20 years ago.

Fedayeen, Jihad, spice in the desert that controls all travel in the universe -- it's all in there.[/QUOTE]

And strangely the simlarities between Star Wars and Dune are quite high....

[quote name='camoor']Dune did a much better job of drawing parallels to real wars then star wars ever did. And Dune was written over 20 years ago.

Fedayeen, Jihad, spice in the desert that controls all travel in the universe -- it's all in there.[/QUOTE]

I'd say that's because the fremen were based on part of the muslim culture, he didn't really predict anything rather he used what had already occured and what was prophesied.

Personally I'd say USA Today is giving Bush to much credit, it takes a lot more planning and less bungling to be the Emperor.

I find it amusing because I was surprised that I felt Episode II, at least, leaned against the libs. It showed a true evil masquerading as good. The foolish sheeple buying the nice face he put on and begging for peace at all costs. Giving up their liberties because they're not willing to fight for what's right. Good vs. Evil is not exactly a liberal sticking point either. But the way the "World Community" fell right into the Emporer's smooth plan, complete with shady dealings and selfish motivations, seemed like such an obvious picture of the U.N. I was surprised there wasn't an uproar.

For all you people who can't believe conservatives have to chase ghosts in the media - come on, face it. The major media has declared war on conservative America without apology. Now it's up to us all to decide who is right and who is wrong, but let's hit the high notes - Abortion, Sexual orientation, Marriage, Sex, Religeon, and Government. With some obvious exceptions, I can't conceive of anybody with a pulse and consciousness believing that Hollywood is not strongly pushing liberal ideals.

It's too bad that it has gotten this way. One of my favorite shows is Without a Trace - a show about finding missing people. But darned if every other episode I don't have to hear a snide remark about someone in the Bush administration. If it were just that one show, OK, but it's every time I turn around. I agree it's a shame when someone can't just make a good movie about the battle between good and evil without nutty criticisms such as these, but honestly it's Hollywood that started this whole mess. Entertainment media wants to preach their politics, they have created the expectation that they are going to push their agenda, and so they should not be surprised when people come to expect it.

Enjoy the movie, ignore the hype until you've seen it for yourself, but don't blame "conservatives" for being conditioned to expect Hollywood to continue doing what they do every day.

[quote name='zion']I'd say that's because the fremen were based on part of the muslim culture, he didn't really predict anything rather he used what had already occured and what was prophesied.

Personally I'd say USA Today is giving Bush to much credit, it takes a lot more planning and less bungling to be the Emperor.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but there are many prophecies. Picking the right one is what is impressive.

American politics is littered with the bodies of rivals and unwary citizens who have underestimated Bush's political schrewdness.

And besides, look at the Emperor's bungling (IE Let me send Vader after Luke, after all Luke's emotionally conflicted father will be the best choice for finding and killing Luke. And while we're at it, lets build a death star with a catastrophic point of failure in the center that is easily accessable by torpedo/spaceship through a series of connecting tunnels. Twice.)

[quote name='chosen1s']
It's too bad that it has gotten this way. One of my favorite shows is Without a Trace - a show about finding missing people. But darned if every other episode I don't have to hear a snide remark about someone in the Bush administration. If it were just that one show, OK, but it's every time I turn around. I agree it's a shame when someone can't just make a good movie about the battle between good and evil without nutty criticisms such as these, but honestly it's Hollywood that started this whole mess. Entertainment media wants to preach their politics, they have created the expectation that they are going to push their agenda, and so they should not be surprised when people come to expect it.[/QUOTE]

It's funny, because I was just watching "24", and between the moralistic tone of plot elements such as the "gay druggie who not only betrays family values but America as well", to the adulterous pilot who dooms his family and America's safety through his infidelity, to the over-the-top depiction of the one ACLU lawyer completely undermining a military-run operation to find a lost nuclear weapon (a situation that's rectified by Jack going "Dirty Harry"), I was thinking that many shows have gone ultra-conservative.

I take it that you aren't a "CSI" fan.

bread's done
Back