USBloader on the horizon

Alpha2

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'll try and be discreet with this post as I have no desire to step over the line on the subject (the HDloader is already a gray area!), Anyway.

From PS2ownz:

As reported in our past news, there is a PSTwo USB Loader coming very soon to on-line vendors... Similar to HD Advance, this remarkable utility will allow users to install and play PS2 games from any external USB HDD on the new slimline PSTwo console at excellent speeds! We will post more details as soon as our sample arrives for REViEW here in our Site News, and those interested can check out the PS2Ownz.com exclusive USB-Loader screenshot below. Enjoy!

USB_Loader.jpg

Interesting, but I wonder what "excellent speeds" are. It can't be as fast as the IDE HDD set-up on the original PS2.

Considering the throughput of the USB 1.1 ports on the PS2 this will be a highly questionable product. The speed won't even match the maximum read rate of the DVD drive and falls below the required rate for high-end DVD playback.

A lot of stuff simply isn't going to work wit this unless Sony has upgraded to USB 2.0 and chose not to mention it. The only advantage here is to store a lot of games on a single drive but what value is that if they play slower than normal?

Well, as they claimed earlier the USB on the PSTwo is actually USB 2.0, so either they know something we dont or they're blissfully plugging along on this project with out a care for the outcome.

In anycase I'm very curious to hear what they say about it, good or bad, when they get the review copy.

I dont know that this would be any different than the HDloader in that regard. We'll know more when it's finally released.

sweet! I'd love to get the newer, sexier PS2 (mostly for the quiet) but can't since I'm addicted to my HD Loader. San Andreas was almost unbearable until I slapped it on my drive.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']Would you be able to use this program to install the 8 GB games that can't be installed on HD Loader Via the PS2?[/quote]

I doubt anything has changed on that front. The issue is entirely separate from that of how the hard drive is interfaced, so if they didn't deal with it in all the previous versions it seems unlikely they have now.

Of course, this is likely a hoax, for the reasons above. In addition, unless there is PS2 BIOS support for IDE-over-USB a certain amount of code will need to reside in memory to get this working. Since game developers expect the entire memory space to be available for their purposes having a driver unexpectedly squatting in the system is going to cause conflicts with a lot of games that ran on the earlier HDLoader/Advance products.

[quote name='Alpha2']Well, as they claimed earlier the USB on the PSTwo is actually USB 2.0, so either they know something we dont or they're blissfully plugging along on this project with out a care for the outcome.

In anycase I'm very curious to hear what they say about it, good or bad, when they get the review copy.[/quote]

Yet they've failed to produce a single shred of independently verifiable evidence that USB 2.0 is in the newer chipset. As I mentioned previously, does anyone believe Sony would make such an upgrade without making a big deal about it?

Note also that the earlier PS2 model continues to be produced for the Japanese market where the HDD is more popular. Why would they do this rather expensive thing if they had a HDD solution coming for the newer model? Why has everyone who asked Sony directly about the ports been told they were not 2.0? Why does the PSX use a separate USB 2.0 controller chip for its ports if the PS2 chipset was being made to include it?

[quote name='DreamSymphony']Would you be able to use this program to install the 8 GB games that can't be installed on HD Loader Via the PS2?[/quote]

I doubt it would work with dual-layer games.

[quote name='Scrubking']As long as you get to use a HD on the new model, when before you couldn't, who cares how slow it is.[/quote]

Well, what incentive is there to get it, then, if it's slower than regular disc speed? You'd get better performance out of just playing from the disc and if you're using it for piracy it would be cheaper and more effective to get a modchip and DVD-burner.

I dont claim to know what these guys are thinking, I'm not even a member of the forum this information is coming from (cant join with a free email account) I can only read the things they post on the front page.

In earlier posts they seemed to claim 2 things: 1. that they'd specifically requested the information from sony and were told 2.0 and 2. that through some testing were able to verify it or atleast not debunk it (I dotn recall the exact wording as this was a few months ago.). This could have changed as I dont have access to the forum but the fact that they continue to post updates about a project that they themselves are watching seems to suggest they see some merit in it whether its 2.0 or 1.1.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Scrubking']As long as you get to use a HD on the new model, when before you couldn't, who cares how slow it is.[/quote]

Well, what incentive is there to get it, then, if it's slower than regular disc speed? You'd get better performance out of just playing from the disc and if you're using it for piracy it would be cheaper and more effective to get a modchip and DVD-burner.[/quote]

What are you talking about? You could store your saves, downloaded content and play games like Final Fantasy, etc.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Scrubking']As long as you get to use a HD on the new model, when before you couldn't, who cares how slow it is.[/quote]

Well, what incentive is there to get it, then, if it's slower than regular disc speed? You'd get better performance out of just playing from the disc and if you're using it for piracy it would be cheaper and more effective to get a modchip and DVD-burner.[/quote]

What are you talking about? You could store your saves, downloaded content and play games like Final Fantasy, etc.[/quote]

I don't think this supports online games like FF. It's just to load games onto.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Scrubking']As long as you get to use a HD on the new model, when before you couldn't, who cares how slow it is.[/quote]

What are you talking about? You could store your saves, downloaded content and play games like Final Fantasy, etc.[/quote]

I don't think this supports online games like FF. It's just to load games onto.[/quote]

Can it store saves? What about downloadable content? If so, I think this just might be worth purchase price, since I just cancelled my FFXI account.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Scrubking']As long as you get to use a HD on the new model, when before you couldn't, who cares how slow it is.[/quote]

I don't think this supports online games like FF. It's just to load games onto.[/quote]

Can it store saves? What about downloadable content? If so, I think this just might be worth purchase price, since I just cancelled my FFXI account.[/quote]

I'd say no and no, unless it updates the firmware or something. I don't think PS2 games with HDD support will recognise a non-IDE drive without a change in their programming. I'm just speculating, though.

[quote name='davidflecha17']would this work on a regular ps2? It still has a usb thingy in the front.[/quote]

If it works at all, it won't on the PS2. The assumption is that Sony upgraded the USB ports on the PSTwo to USB 2.0.

Okay, I am a noob when it comes to this HD stuff. If I happened to buy this, it would only be used on games I own. I in no way would ever use it for pirating. This being said, how much are these things? If the price is unknown on this new version, how much were the old ones? If this shouldn't be asked, then please don't answer this question, but where do you buy these?

[quote name='Rig']Okay, I am a noob when it comes to this HD stuff. If I happened to buy this, it would only be used on games I own. I in no way would ever use it for pirating. This being said, how much are these things? If the price is unknown on this new version, how much were the old ones? If this shouldn't be asked, then please don't answer this question, but where do you buy these?[/quote]

old versions were anywhere from 27.99-39.99 depending on where you buy it from and stuff

i got my hdloader from www.consolepoint.com (i dont think this is wrong to list, if it is you can delete it mods...thanks :) )

bread's done
Back