Used DVD Box Sets: 3 for $25 at Blockbuster YMMV

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
I'm sure most people have heard about the deal at Blockbuster where you can get 3 used DVD's for $25. Well my wife decided to see if it would work with the used box sets they had, and it did. Every used box set they have works with this deal.

The computers will automatically take the discount off and there are no coupons for the cashiers to scan. Once the cashier hits the "Total" button, the promo will be applied. I cam out with two reciepts saying that I save over $100 each time with the promo. This is an absolutely amazing deal.

The only problem that you may run into is Blockbuster employees refusing to sell you the Box Sets for that price. I've had no problems at 2 locations, and I was refused at 2 locations, so it completely depends on the employee. You might also have better luck if you buy two normal dvds and one box set as then the discount won't show up as being quite as huge.

The 3 for $25 deal says that it is for "Select Titles" in the fine print, but there is no list of "Select Titles" or any kind of clarification. It is a standard blanket statement that they put on a lot of their deals.

Here's a list of what I've been able to buy so far:

Star Wars Trilogy
Carnivale Season 1 (This is up for sale or trade)
CSI: Miami Season 2
Northern Exposure Season 1
Dallas Seasons 1 & 2 (This is up for sale or trade)
24 Season 1

So in conclusion, you can get any used box set for $8.33 before tax. Good luck.

PS. We need a Blockbuster icon for GameRush and BlockBuster deals!

I can also confirm this deal, I was able to do the same thing last night. This is a big YMMV like shipwreck said and depends on who rings you up. Two cashiers said nothing about it and the third one kinda of question it, but did it anyway. Here is what I was able to get

Seinfeld (season 1&2)
Family Guy (season 1&2)
Godfather DVD Collection
Sex in the City (season 1)(for girlfriend)
Futurama (season 1)
Chappelle Show (season 2)
Jurassic Park Collection
Home Improvement (season 2) - for trade if interested
Boy Meets World (season 2) - for trade

[quote name='yeahokthenfu']Sounds interesting.
Do they have the deal online as well??[/QUOTE]

I don't even think Blockbuster sells used DVD's online. At least I've never known them to.

Yeah the sell movies online but not the boxsets.

No the deal is not online, B&M only and very YMMV. depending on who rings you up.

I work at Blockbuster, and(at least at my store) the fine print says 3 for $25 is not valid on any box sets, or anything priced at 24.99 or higher.

[quote name='Astinus Majere']I work at Blockbuster, and(at least at my store) the fine print says 3 for $25 is not valid on any box sets, or anything priced at 24.99 or higher.[/QUOTE]

That must be a different flyer than the one I read then, as the flyers at the stores I went to only stated "Select Titles". The large signs were even less specific. The important thing is that the computer automatically recognizes the box sets as part of the 3 for $25 deal. It's funny that they put one thing on certain flyers and then put something different into the computer system. It's what I've come to expect with Blockbuster's computers though.

[quote name='Astinus Majere']I work at Blockbuster, and(at least at my store) the fine print says 3 for $25 is not valid on any box sets, or anything priced at 24.99 or higher.[/QUOTE]

Like it says by shipwreck this is a major YMMV.

But the deal does work.

That is an amazing deal. Unfortunately my experience with Blockbuster is different. Whenever they have used box sets over 2 discs, they split up the discs into separate cases. So you could buy 3 discs of a box set for $25. I asked the manager why they did that and they said that way every item would qualify for the 3 for 25 deal. Acceptable answer, but why would someone only buy disc 3 of the Sopranos season 2 for $8.33? or $12.99 regularly?

Anyway, it's good that you found places that let cheap asses be cheap asses.

[quote name='crazynater']That is an amazing deal. Unfortunately my experience with Blockbuster is different. Whenever they have used box sets over 2 discs, they split up the discs into separate cases. So you could buy 3 discs of a box set for $25. I asked the manager why they did that and they said that way every item would qualify for the 3 for 25 deal. Acceptable answer, but why would someone only buy disc 3 of the Sopranos season 2 for $8.33? or $12.99 regularly?

Anyway, it's good that you found places that let cheap asses be cheap asses.[/QUOTE]

Most Blockbusters split up the box sets that they rent out, so the only ones that you'd be able to get a great deal on are the box sets that people have traded in from their own collections. I don't think most Blockbusters would split these up since that would mean they'd have to take each individual disc in as a different trade-in or their inventory would get screwed up.

Hey shipwreck, Which blockbusters are you going to? I was looking around at my local ones and i was curious which ones you had already hit ( I am in Northern Columbus around lewis center) Any help would be great.

[quote name='thealternakid']Hey shipwreck, Which blockbusters are you going to? I was looking around at my local ones and i was curious which ones you had already hit ( I am in Northern Columbus around lewis center) Any help would be great.[/QUOTE]

I've only been to a couple on the south side of Columbus, so good luck with the northern ones.

[quote name='ryosnk']shit, my blockbuster takes the dvd's out of the box sets and sells them seperately.[/QUOTE]

You may have to look to see if the used box sets are behind the counter or I found all of them in the glass cabinet where they keep the new boxsets. Check the cabinet and look for any that does not have shrink wrap around them.

Doesn't even look like my Blockbuster (Cuy Falls, OH) has used box sets for sale. Ah well, good luck to those who can cash in on this deal.

Mine sells them as boxsets so long as they are traded in that way (if they are former rentals they are usually split up), but they won't do this deal.

I checked my Blockbuster (Bayonne, NJ) and didn't see a single used boxset for sale in the building. Ah well, thanks for the info anyway it was worth a shot.

it worked for me, but the only good box sets they had were curb your enthusiam season 2 & 3. But my total discount was 27 bucks off a purchuse of 50.

[quote name='KingDox']it worked for me, but the only good box sets they had were curb your enthusiam season 2 & 3. But my total discount was 27 bucks off a purchuse of 50.[/QUOTE]

I wished the stores I went to had some curb your enthusiam but I can complain about what I got, great finds. Good to see the deal worked for somebody else.

I didn't even think of checking the glass case. I just assumed that all the sets in there were new because the case is right in between the new kids section and the new regular section.

I went there today and picked up the only used one they had, 24 season one. Not bad considering I practically got it for free with the 3 for $25 deal. Now to check the glass cases at other Blockbusters that I have always ignored. THANKS!

[quote name='crazynater']I didn't even think of checking the glass case. I just assumed that all the sets in there were new because the case is right in between the new kids section and the new regular section.

I went there today and picked up the only used one they had, 24 season one. Not bad considering I practically got it for free with the 3 for $25 deal. Now to check the glass cases at other Blockbusters that I have always ignored. THANKS![/QUOTE]

Did you buy two movies and one box set when you made the purchase?

[quote name='commish']Did you buy two movies and one box set when you made the purchase?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got

Collateral - $12.99
I Am Sam - $12.99
24 Season One - $39.99

Then they gave me a $40.00 coupon to make the deal 3 for $25. There aren't any exclusions, so he can't refuse the sale.

This would be the time to find a Blockbuster with used X-Files season sets. Good lord, the mere thought has me salivating like a starved mongrel that can't jump high enough to get into the dumpster behind Burger King.

[quote name='darkwingduck13']This would be the time to find a Blockbuster with used X-Files season sets. Good lord, the mere thought has me salivating like a starved mongrel that can't jump high enough to get into the dumpster behind Burger King.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully I find a BB with Smallville or Sopranos season sets

I'm definetly going to check my local stores after work today. I just hope they have something good and they actually going to let me do it. Thanks OP!

this is very YMMV as it all matters on if the employee is willing to do it.
I have had them deny me before. The fine print says no box sets but some employees will allow it.

I just got denied. They had the Godfather collection and Looney Tunes Golden Collection. So I picked out another PO movie to complete the deal. They said that the boxes aren't good with the 3 for $25 offer. The guy said that they would be losing about $90 if they were good with the offer.

But then I thought, wait, these are PO to begin with. You might have given the customer $10 on trade-in. You would be selling them back to me for $8.33. So sure you would lose your $3.32 profit. But $90? Come on, be reasonable. That would almost be robbing you. The point of a sale is to attract customers, despite a loss of profit.

The way I see it, I would be doing a favor taking the box sets off your hands. Who in their right mind would pay $50 for Looney tunes and $40 for the Godfather Collection....USED!!

[quote name='crazynater']I just got denied. They had the Godfather collection and Looney Tunes Golden Collection. So I picked out another PO movie to complete the deal. They said that the boxes aren't good with the 3 for $25 offer. The guy said that they would be losing about $90 if they were good with the offer.

But then I thought, wait, these are PO to begin with. You might have given the customer $10 on trade-in. You would be selling them back to me for $8.33. So sure you would lose your $3.32 profit. But $90? Come on, be reasonable. That would almost be robbing you. The point of a sale is to attract customers, despite a loss of profit.

The way I see it, I would be doing a favor taking the box sets off your hands. Who in their right mind would pay $50 for Looney tunes and $40 for the Godfather Collection....USED!![/QUOTE]

You'd be surprised, I've seen people that would buy DISK ONLY copies of box sets with the disks scratched to save 10.00 off of the new price.

[quote name='Cmosfm']You'd be surprised, I've seen people that would buy DISK ONLY copies of box sets with the disks scratched to save 10.00 off of the new price.[/QUOTE]

rofl, I always think the opposite, if the used is 10 less, then why not spend that lil extra to know its goin work

[quote name='Prepster']rofl, I always think the opposite, if the used is 10 less, then why not spend that lil extra to know its goin work[/QUOTE]

Me too. If the price difference is only $10 bucks I'd rather have a new mint/complete than a pre-owned wank-job.

I plan on seeing what my local BB has tomarrow.
If only they would have every season of all the Star Trek series, along with seasons 2-9 of the X-Files. :drool:

A better bet with Star Trek, at least for me, is to wait for someone to trade them in at Gamestop and pick them up during a Buy 2 Get 1 free deal. Last week I got Seasons 3,4 and 5 of DS9 for 97 bucks total and they were in pretty good condition.

I went to my local BB today and they didn't have a single used box set. :roll:
I did go to Gamestop and picked up a near mint copy of X-Files Season 4 for only $28.XX after my discount card. They also had 24 season 3 for the same price, which I'm going to have my brother pick up for me when he buys Madden.

I went to BB last night and they have just gotten some new signs they printed off that says NO box sets. It looked like a cheap print off so they are probably catching on. THough i went to one right down the road and I asked the check out girl and she said that anyhting was fine and that she would do box sets for me.... but theydidnt have any... NOOOO.... maybe next time

Got Carnivale S1 and Unsolved Mysteries UFO Edition along with SNL: The Best of Christopher Walken to make 3. At this Blockbuster, I asked if they would be 3 for $25, and the cashier said as long as they were used, they were elligible.

At another my friend was able to pick up The Shield S1 and Sealab 2021 S1. At this one the cashiers were actually complimentary of the good deal my friend got. :D

Nice find on that Sealab. I wasn't able to find any Adult Swim DVDs at the Blockbusters I went to. Well, commish picked up a copy of Family Guy for me so I guess that somewhat counts as an Adult Swim.

bread's done
Back