Used GOTY/Complete Editions Question

Whedon

CAGiversary!
Relatively new to CAG and relatively new to Xbox 360 (got one end of this summer) and I know of no better place to ask some newbie questions. I apologize in advance! I already asked for some older game suggestions earlier this afternoon and got a lot of helpful suggestions, so here goes a 2nd inquiry...

I was under the impression that when buying used games, you can't ever buy GOTY or Complete Editions b/c the codes would most likely be used already. I purchased RE5: Gold Edition new and used the code myself, so now that game could not be resold used as Gold Edition obviously and I thought this was the way it worked across the board when buying special editions with DLC/expansions.

But in looking at Fallout 3, per someone's suggestion earlier that I get the GOTY edition, I read that the expansions included are on a disc, not codes, and the extra content on the extra disc can be used multiple times, therefore I could buy this game used.

So my question is this: Is there any rhyme or reason to this (whether these are 1 time use download codes or discs containing the DLC) and is it just on a per game basis that I would need to research to find out which way the DLC is provided before considering used vs new?

I feel like a jackass for asking questions here, but thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to enlighten me. And again, if i'm using the wrong forum or if these type of questions don't belong on CAG, please advise so I don't make the same mistake again.

It is on a per game basis like you said. Fallout 3 GOTY is just the expansions on a disc that you can install to the hard drive (on the 360 at least, probably similar for PS3 though). Red Dead Redemption GOTY on PS3 is just a disc that you can play everything from, no codes or ties to a profile at all.

I think some GOTYs have come with single use codes though. Some versions of Borderlands came with a code, and some have a disc that I believe is multi-use. I'm sure in the future more publishers are going to make the extra content codes only to limit the secondhand market since they are already doing this with online play in some games.

There are still more special cases though, like the exports for the older Rock Band games. The codes were tied to a single use but new codes were given out to those who bought the games used or "lost" the manual; this wasn't fraud or a trick but the manufacturer willingly accomodated everyone.

Thanks lion. It's not always that easy to determine either. As a test I tried to find out today if Batman: AA GOTY extra content was one time use or on a disc and got conflicting information. I already ordered it new so we shall see when it arrives. Thanks again.

Some copies of borderlands GOTY for ps3 at least included a code AND dlc on the disk too.. So, yeah, you never know unfortunately. I prefer to be on the safe side and just get the GOTY/Ultimate/Gold/whatever editions new.

bread's done
Back