USED Ps Vita $150 with "powerup rewards coupon" gamestop

omargm

CAG Newbie
i dont know if you think this is an offer but here is... it does not say if it includes a memory card or not...

14lodop.jpg

[quote name='gentlyporking']Be VERY careful. I bought a used Vita from Gamestop in October and I was told by the associate that buying the extended warranty was a waste of money (first time for everything) because it still fell under Sony's one-year warranty.

System stopped working in December (it appeared to be a dead battery) and Sony said they will only repair it for $160 -- used systems do not fall under the company's warranty.[/QUOTE]

Why on earth would you actually tell Sony you bought it used? You could've got it fixed for free had you not told them. Unless there is some way for them to tell, you can just pretend it was yours the whole time.

[quote name='bonesawisready']Why on earth would you actually tell Sony you bought it used? You could've got it fixed for free had you not told them. Unless there is some way for them to tell, you can just pretend it was yours the whole time.[/QUOTE]

Assuming they weren't bluffing about the receipt I'm sure it said "preowned" on it (he said he bought it used from Gamestop) so they were bound to tell.

However I bought a display model Sony Handy Cam a few years ago that was basicially DOA but the Staples clerk gave it to me "As-Is" for 90% off the clearance price (part were worth about 3-4x that.

I sent it in to sony with the receipt (even though it said "Clearance" and "Final Markdown - No Returns" and they still repaired it for free no questions asked.

If they really do have a one year warranty then they should still fix Vita's free for everyone since the system hasn't even been on the market for a year which means every Vita in existance is still under warranty. With the terrible sales of the Vita you would think they would be smart enough to take care of their customers who actually have a Vita and might buy more games if their Vita system actually worked. Its run-arounds like this that turn away their customers and cause hard times for the company which they are most definitely experiencing right now.....

[quote name='bonesawisready']Why on earth would you actually tell Sony you bought it used? You could've got it fixed for free had you not told them. Unless there is some way for them to tell, you can just pretend it was yours the whole time.[/QUOTE]

AGAIN, Sony won't repair it without proof of purchase. My proof of purchase said I bought it used. There is no pretending when then require documented proof.

[quote name='Purkeynator']If they really do have a one year warranty then they should still fix Vita's free for everyone since the system hasn't even been on the market for a year which means every Vita in existance is still under warranty. With the terrible sales of the Vita you would think they would be smart enough to take care of their customers who actually have a Vita and might buy more games if their Vita system actually worked. Its run-arounds like this that turn away their customers and cause hard times for the company which they are most definitely experiencing right now.....[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I'm guessing Sony thinks I'm some sort of time traveler and, even though the system hasn't even been out for a year, I've owned mine for much longer. Even though I purchased quite a few games, I will not be paying the $160 to repair, nor will I ever buy another Sony gaming system again. Since I also gave up on Xbox after having 5 systems RR, I'll be sticking to only PC gaming.

Doesn't this kind thing happen right before msrp drops with Gamestop? I think I have seen this happen before.

eh... $150, then you need a memory card for like $60. I can't see myself buying a hand held for more then a ps3.

[quote name='usrevenge']eh... $150, then you need a memory card for like $60. I can't see myself buying a hand held for more then a ps3.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind you're comparing a handheld that's about a year old to a 6 year old console.

[quote name='whoknows']Keep in mind you're comparing a handheld that's about a year old to a 6 year old console.[/QUOTE]

Sony needs to cool their jets and quit pounding their chest.

It's time for Vita+biggest memory card available+game bundled in+month of PS plus for $200 or less. I don't see what's so unreasonable about that.

That's not enough. I want a Vita + Biggest memory card + download codes for every game available + a free case + free lifetime of plus + a free car + a PS4 when it's released for $99 or less. I don't see what's so unreasonable about that.

screw all that I'd settle for a vita that used standard SD cards for memory instead of the sony only cards....That's really the only major thing thats held me back from buying one up till now, having to shell out so much for the stupid cards

Memory prices will go down.. that doesn't bother me.

I like that I can save my game files to the PS+ cloud; and therefore it becomes much easier to use multiple memory cards however I have a 32GB with all the free PS+ content (i.e. Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Wipeout 2048, Plants vs Zombies, FF, ChronoVolt, and a few other freebies as well as two movies and about 200 MP3's and I still have about 16GB free so I really don't think I'll need to change out my memory anytime soon.

Personally I probably paid $100+ more then I would have liked to all things considered (memory cards, cases, screen protectors, etc.) but I've also gotten several months of enjoyment out of my Vita as well so I don't consider that a loss.

As I mentioned earlier though I just wish it had more in the way of apps so that I didn't have to constantly put it down and pick up my phone or tablet to check on things.

The reason why sony are being dicks about repairing systems, is when they launched the vita, they also launched their version of "Apple Care". I was still a gamestop manager at the time, and they basically told us that if a customer was buying a system, unless they purchased the 70$ 2 year sony care accidental warranty, they would receive minimal warranty on the system.

But honestly, did any of you who bought it used EXPECT a free warranty?

[quote name='Reraise']The reason why sony are being dicks about repairing systems, is when they launched the vita, they also launched their version of "Apple Care". I was still a gamestop manager at the time, and they basically told us that if a customer was buying a system, unless they purchased the 70$ 2 year sony care accidental warranty, they would receive minimal warranty on the system.

But honestly, did any of you who bought it used EXPECT a free warranty?[/QUOTE]

I sure did because the Gamestop sales associate TOLD me my purchase was covered under the Sony warranty.

[quote name='gentlyporking']I sure did because the Gamestop sales associate TOLD me my purchase was covered under the Sony warranty.[/QUOTE]

You trusted a minimum wage gamestop employee who was trying to make a sale on a used item....

I dont think i need to say anything else on this.

I would assume you would want to try to register it as soon as you got it to see how much of a warranty could be had. I got a Xbox 360 slim from cowboom, and the drive wouldn't read games. Since I was able to register it and get a warranty, I didn't have to send it back.

[quote name='gentlyporking']I sure did because the Gamestop sales associate TOLD me my purchase was covered under the Sony warranty.[/QUOTE]

Escalate that claim with both Gamestop and Sony. Complain to the end of the earth without being derogatory. Contact news on your side etc..

I'm not paying $160 to get a system fixed within launch year.

[quote name='kaydigi']Escalate that claim with both Gamestop and Sony. Complain to the end of the earth without being derogatory. Contact news on your side etc..

I'm not paying $160 to get a system fixed within launch year.[/QUOTE]

Actually, that's what I did. After a month of bugging both companies, Sony kept quiet and Gamestop agreed to replace my system.

The problem is, before I knew Sony wouldn't repair my system, I sent it to them late in November. I've been trying to get them to send the broken system back for close to 4 weeks now and they said they are so swamped that it will take some time...

You know your company is bad when Gamestop is offering better customer service than you... F Sony...

[quote name='gentlyporking']Actually, that's what I did. After a month of bugging both companies, Sony kept quiet and Gamestop agreed to replace my system.

The problem is, before I knew Sony wouldn't repair my system, I sent it to them late in November. I've been trying to get them to send the broken system back for close to 4 weeks now and they said they are so swamped that it will take some time...

You know your company is bad when Gamestop is offering better customer service than you... F Sony...[/QUOTE]

With gamestop being primarily located in the US, you can get more from them if you complain. Sony really dont care much these days, they are struggling to stay afloat.

This is the only way to get help when gamestop screw you over. Their GA's will say anything to make the sale, and corporate usually wont back you up unless its in writing. But if you are persistent and not a douche to them, 9 times out of 10 they will cave. Gamestops struggling as a company right now. My local gamestop manager (who took over from me when i left) told me that Activision had to pay their payroll to stay open for midnight Black Ops 2 release. Thats a dire situation.

[quote name='Reraise']With gamestop being primarily located in the US, you can get more from them if you complain. Sony really dont care much these days, they are struggling to stay afloat.

This is the only way to get help when gamestop screw you over. Their GA's will say anything to make the sale, and corporate usually wont back you up unless its in writing. But if you are persistent and not a douche to them, 9 times out of 10 they will cave. Gamestops struggling as a company right now. My local gamestop manager (who took over from me when i left) told me that Activision had to pay their payroll to stay open for midnight Black Ops 2 release. Thats a dire situation.[/QUOTE]

Can someone please link solid information that states that either Gamestop or Sony are in serious financial trouble?

I've seen a report linked before that shows a certain part of Sony's portfolio was losing money but you do realize their is more to Sony then video games and TV's right?

[quote name='GBAstar']Can someone please link solid information that states that either Gamestop or Sony are in serious financial trouble?

I've seen a report linked before that shows a certain part of Sony's portfolio was losing money but you do realize their is more to Sony then video games and TV's right?[/QUOTE]

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/09/08/the-ten-year-decline-of-sony/

It doesnt matter if they are more than TV's and games, the other departments are floating the loss' from these. Either they pull out of it, or they cut the TV and games departments and walk away to save the company.

http://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/SNE--Probability_Of_Bankruptcy
Sony has an entire probability of stock bankrupcy of 35%. Bear in mind this is only the american branch, so that number is significantly higher when you add in the Japan assets.

If you a gambling man, sony is the leading odds of a major company to go under (i think they are giving 3:1 right now). Their credit rating just got dropped to the BBB for the second time by one of the worlds largest ratings companies, Standard & Poor’s.

Go check out the current financials on Gamestop for yourself.

[quote name='Reraise']http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/09/08/the-ten-year-decline-of-sony/

It doesnt matter if they are more than TV's and games, the other departments are floating the loss' from these. Either they pull out of it, or they cut the TV and games departments and walk away to save the company.

http://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/SNE--Probability_Of_Bankruptcy
Sony has an entire probability of stock bankrupcy of 35%. Bear in mind this is only the american branch, so that number is significantly higher when you add in the Japan assets.

If you a gambling man, sony is the leading odds of a major company to go under (i think they are giving 3:1 right now). Their credit rating just got dropped to the BBB for the second time by one of the worlds largest ratings companies, Standard & Poor’s.

Go check out the current financials on Gamestop for yourself.[/QUOTE]

A lot of good information in that article (thanks). I think Sony put a lot of money into the PS3 and still has a long time left in its lifespan (globally) to see a return. Unlike Microsoft and Nintendo Sony gets many more years out of its devices. The PS3 will still see huge sales in many still developing countries over the next few years (similar to how the PS2 still sold well years after its prime) and similar to how the PSP still sells well globally.

So what turned out to be a reportedly bad decision (i.e. high launch price; low sales) can certainly turn around.... I mean you did read that link where the PS3 has now officially outsold the Xbox...... right? It is only going to continue to do so as the technology will not become dated nearly as fast.

[quote name='GBAstar'] I mean you did read that link where the PS3 has now officially outsold the Xbox...... right? It is only going to continue to do so as the technology will not become dated nearly as fast.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this issue was that PS3 was losing more money per sale than the xbox was. So the more they actually sold, the worse they ended up financially. Its only with the latest revision they have it down to (im not 100% on this number) a $35 loss per unit.

If you read that whole article, the part that really sticks in my mind is: Since total assets include everything that Sony owns (cash, buildings, divisions, intellectual property, etc.)…Sony would have to sell over 80 percent of their total assets (Total Assets = Every single thing Sony owns including cash) just to pay off their total liabilities.

That, is scary. I dont want to see them go under. But they need to make some serious changes to stay afloat. The biggest tell in my opinion will be when they release the full specs for the PS4, will they push the boat out, or go conservative.

[quote name='Reraise']Yeah, this issue was that PS3 was losing more money per sale than the xbox was. So the more they actually sold, the worse they ended up financially. Its only with the latest revision they have it down to (im not 100% on this number) a $35 loss per unit.

If you read that whole article, the part that really sticks in my mind is: Since total assets include everything that Sony owns (cash, buildings, divisions, intellectual property, etc.)…Sony would have to sell over 80 percent of their total assets (Total Assets = Every single thing Sony owns including cash) just to pay off their total liabilities.

That, is scary. I dont want to see them go under. But they need to make some serious changes to stay afloat. The biggest tell in my opinion will be when they release the full specs for the PS4, will they push the boat out, or go conservative.[/QUOTE]

Good point. If they can keep the PS3 alive in the parts of the world where it is just starting to sell well and make a profit off of sales moving forward and find a way to make the Vita profitable I think they can turn some things around but a lot of that will depend on the PS4; any future profits made from the PS3 and Vita will be for naught if the PS4 puts them in a bigger hole.

Really good article though. Well written for those like myself that aren't business savy.

[quote name='GBAstar']A lot of good information in that article (thanks). I think Sony put a lot of money into the PS3 and still has a long time left in its lifespan (globally) to see a return. Unlike Microsoft and Nintendo Sony gets many more years out of its devices. The PS3 will still see huge sales in many still developing countries over the next few years (similar to how the PS2 still sold well years after its prime) and similar to how the PSP still sells well globally.

So what turned out to be a reportedly bad decision (i.e. high launch price; low sales) can certainly turn around.... I mean you did read that link where the PS3 has now officially outsold the Xbox...... right? It is only going to continue to do so as the technology will not become dated nearly as fast.[/QUOTE]

Those sales figures (units shipped) suggest to me that individual unit sales are less significant than once thought by most folks here and the media covering the gaming industry. IMO the only figure that seems to matters is attach rate...unless you are *Nintendo. It's a known fact that both HD consoles lost money at launch (each system was sold at a loss). The way to profitability for both companies is by selling services and games. M$ has done alright for themselves largely due to their XBL service and the fact that they have a slight edge in the US market (no one buys more junk than us). Sony on the other hand was hurt by not releasing PS+ at launch, on top a series of other poor decisions. Additionally, Sony's attach rates have been pretty poor this gen especially if you include the PSP and Vita. Although to be fair, PSP's attach rate was significantly impacted by piracy. The piracy factor lead to Sony releasing the Vita memory cards which some people speculate are hurting Vita's sales figures. Long story short, Sony is in desperate need of a hit and I hope the PS4 is that hit for them. Competition is always better for the consumer and I hope these two giants & Nintendo duke it out for years to come.

*Nintendo was excluded from the conversation because big N usually does not sell consoles for a loss. So, individual unit sales do matter to their bottom line.

I'm I an idiot for staying away from a used vita because, more than any other reason, I don't want to see fingerprints when I open it?

I traded in an old PS3 and got $120 credit. Should I get a Vita now using this coupon, or you think a better deal will be coming up? I would have to get the coupon today since its the last day for the coupon, but the coupon is good til 1/27.

I have to agree with other posters i would never touch any newer gen used system at all unless the discount was a really great deal.

It makes it even worse that you need so many points to even be able to use the coupon and i know it has passed and was a special deal, but this deal looks really bad compared to the Amazon Black Friday Assassin's Creed Bundle

180 dollars for a vita AC:L on card PlayStation All stars as a Digital download three months of PlayStation Plus and a 4GB memory card.

[quote name='GBAstar']Assuming they weren't bluffing about the receipt I'm sure it said "preowned" on it (he said he bought it used from Gamestop) so they were bound to tell.

However I bought a display model Sony Handy Cam a few years ago that was basicially DOA but the Staples clerk gave it to me "As-Is" for 90% off the clearance price (part were worth about 3-4x that.

I sent it in to sony with the receipt (even though it said "Clearance" and "Final Markdown - No Returns" and they still repaired it for free no questions asked.[/QUOTE]

I've sent things into many manufacturers over the years, including a few 360s, and no one has ever demanded my original receipt. If they did I just told them I didn't have it, and we moved forward with the repairs.

That said, I keep all my receipts safe

bread's done
Back