Used PSPgo for $69.99 at CowBoom (Back in stock)

Shoot, I'm wicked tempted. Are PSN's PSP game prices fair? Or will I be paying out the wazoo because there's no competitive market for PSP Go games?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Shoot, I'm wicked tempted. Are PSN's PSP game prices fair? Or will I be paying out the wazoo because there's no competitive market for PSP Go games?[/QUOTE]

Games are generally much cheaper in umd format, but then again I gave up on my go. I know some older ones go for about 10-20 unless they're dropped the prices.

[quote name='joeyshadows']Games are generally much cheaper in umd format, but then again I gave up on my go. I know some older ones go for about 10-20 unless they're dropped the prices.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, this page shows some decent titles for 9.99

http://us.playstation.com/

Scroll down a bit. It'd be nice if you could actually browse the store online...

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Shoot, I'm wicked tempted. Are PSN's PSP game prices fair? Or will I be paying out the wazoo because there's no competitive market for PSP Go games?[/QUOTE]

It's really a pain. The PSP was always lauded as being so much bigger and more powerful, then they decide to make a tiny model that can't even play UMDs, forcing you to buy games all over again at a higher price. :roll:

Kush made an important note the other day: The Go might suck as a PSP, but it makes for a damn fine emulator if you crack it. ;)

The PSP Go also supported TV output, and has bluetooth so you can sync a DualShock 3 to it. So you can play PSP games with a wireless controller on a TV.

The digital only game support isn't terrible either if you think you might pick up a Vita in the future since your collection will work on it unlike people who have a large number of UMDs.

[quote name='Blade']It's really a pain. The PSP was always lauded as being so much bigger and more powerful, then they decide to make a tiny model that can't even play UMDs, forcing you to buy games all over again at a higher price. :roll:

Kush made an important note the other day: The Go might suck as a PSP, but it makes for a damn fine emulator if you crack it. ;)[/QUOTE]

It is a fine little emulator, and when you factor in that it already has 16B of storage built-in, at Vita memory prices ($59 for 16GB) that means you are only paying $10 for a small portable PSP :lol: and portable emulator system.

Also, while many of the PSP games on PSN are more than what you would pay for a used UMD at GameStop, they do occasionally put top titles on sale (I picked up Personal 1 and Persona 3 for $19.99 or less, as well as several others). Plus, there's the benefit of being able to play the PSN games on your Vita (if/when you get one). But yeah, if you want physical games, it is better to pick up one of the deals on the PSP-1000/2000/3000.

[quote name='SScorpio']The PSP Go also supported TV output, and has bluetooth so you can sync a DualShock 3 to it. So you can play PSP games with a wireless controller on a TV.

The digital only game support isn't terrible either if you think you might pick up a Vita in the future since your collection will work on it unlike people who have a large number of UMDs.[/QUOTE]

The TV output combined with DualShock 3 support (and a dock to charge and provide the Video output at the same time) is actually a pretty awesome combo, and when you need to go somewhere you just pull it out of the dock and keep playing.

[quote name='Blade']Kush made an important note the other day: The Go might suck as a PSP, but it makes for a damn fine emulator if you crack it. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ah, I didn't even know it'd been cracked. That alone might make the price worth it.

[quote name='SScorpio']The PSP Go also supported TV output, and has bluetooth so you can sync a DualShock 3 to it. So you can play PSP games with a wireless controller on a TV.

The digital only game support isn't terrible either if you think you might pick up a Vita in the future since your collection will work on it unlike people who have a large number of UMDs.[/QUOTE]

I recently built this setup, and have been playing Tactics Ogre for roughly 38 hours on my 47" TV. I absolutely love the setup, as I am able to play all of my PSP games comfortably and with a PS3 controller. Sound comes through my sound bar too, so it's truly like having a new console.

Don't expect PS3 level graphics or anything. In fact, you would probably need to use the zoom feature on your TV to see the picture clearly from a long distance, since 1080p is obviously bigger than the PSP's resolution.

Here is what my setup looks like (no, I never have my curtains open when I play!):

Mind you, you will want to buy component cables for the go, and maybe the cradle so that it is always charging while you play (since bluetooth is a battery drain). Also, you would need to have an extra power cable that comes with any of the other psp models to charge the cradle.

In the end, it's worth it, at least to me. The PSP has a ton of great games, and playing my favorite genre (RPG) on my TV is a pleasant experience.

Come universal price drop! I've never ordered from this site, this is a reasonable price for a used PSP Go.

Kind of surprised it hasn't universally dropped to $100 yet for a new version since you basically have to buy a $10 PSN card or use a debit/credit card to buy games.

The ability to play using a Dual Shock 3 is the main reason I want a Go. Still hoping for a PSN update so that all PSPs can use a dual shock 3 like how Resistance Retribution managed it.

Bleh, so the game that was really drawing me to buy this, Phantasy Star Portable, was pulled from PSN last month for no apparent reason. That means no way to get it on the Go. Think this is a no-buy for me.

I bought a used DSi XL from cowboom when they had a special and had to return it due to a loose power connection. So be sure to check out the hardware thoroughly if you do buy one. It was very easy to return for money back, but I (and especially my wife) would have much rather had a working device.

Here's a thread I created last year about using your PSP (2000/3000 or go) with your TV.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288897

It includes some links (hopefully still valid) for a PSPgo dock that included used standard component output cables rather than the special PSPgo component cable that would only work with your PSPgo (preventing it from charging) or the official Sony PSPgo Dock (which was overpriced).

I prefer the PSPgo over the PSP because of the smaller size and DS3 support (more details and reasons provided in the other thread).

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Here's a thread I created last year about using your PSP (2000/3000 or go) with your TV.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288897

It includes some links (hopefully still valid) for a PSPgo dock that included used standard component output cables rather than the special PSPgo component cable that would only work with your PSPgo (preventing it from charging) or the official Sony PSPgo Dock (which was overpriced).

I prefer the PSPgo over the PSP because of the smaller size and DS3 support (more details and reasons provided in the other thread).[/QUOTE]

I'm using the 3rd party dock from Deal Extreme which doesn't require the official cables. The only issue with the dock is you need to use USB to charge the PSP, but it uses a normal mini-B USB connector which most other devices also use instead of the PSPGo proprietary connector. The issue with this is the USB cables I have won't fit into the PSPGo's charger. I picked up the Sony USB AC adapter since normal USB AC chargers don't work, this is the same issue with charging a DualShock.

I also use a Component -> HDMI converter to play on my monitor which doesn't have component. This is one of the best ways to play PSP games at home, then I just pull it out of the dock and can keep playing if I want to go somewhere.

[quote name='Booj']Does it come with the original box? That's a sticking point with me.[/QUOTE]

Most likely not, the DSi XL I got a month or two ago didn't include one. But you don't really need anything besides the handheld and charger.

Quick question.

If i buy the USB cable for the pspgo. Can i use the ac/usb adapter from my ipad to charge the pspgo?

Nothin' wrong with buying a UMD legitimately, and then making a perfectly legal backup to play on your custom-firmware enabled PSPGo. Same goes for your PSX discs. And then playing those on your TV with a Dual Shock, especially since Best Buy is dumping Go accessories (like component cables) for dirt cheap.

I just love my PSPGo, is all I'm sayin' :)

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Bleh, so the game that was really drawing me to buy this, Phantasy Star Portable, was pulled from PSN last month for no apparent reason. That means no way to get it on the Go. Think this is a no-buy for me.[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice that Phantasy Star Portable was pulled. You saved me a lot of money.

[quote name='Booj']Does it come with the original box? That's a sticking point with me.[/QUOTE]

Almost definitely not. While the included items varies with each unit they are selling, it looks like most of them don't include anything other than the PSPgo itself (no cable, AC adapter, manual, etc). Not a huge problem since you can pick up a sync cable or AC adapter for pretty cheap at DealExtreme, but you'd have to wait for it to arrive which would be a pain.

[quote name='baraam']Quick question.

If i buy the USB cable for the pspgo. Can i use the ac/usb adapter from my ipad to charge the pspgo?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that should work because that's how I'm charging my PSPgo in the cradle I got from DX (not the iPad adapter, but one similar). DX has PSPgo cables and the AC/UCB adapters for pretty cheap.

[quote name='dave auto']Nothin' wrong with buying a UMD legitimately, and then making a perfectly legal backup to play on your custom-firmware enabled PSPGo. Same goes for your PSX discs. And then playing those on your TV with a Dual Shock, especially since Best Buy is dumping Go accessories (like component cables) for dirt cheap.

I just love my PSPGo, is all I'm sayin' :)[/QUOTE]

Only thing is, if you buy a UMD you'll need to have access to a full-size PSP with a UMD drive and install CFW so you can rip the UMD to an ISO. Otherwise you'd have to download ISOs from the net, the legitimacy of which is not so obvious, even if you own the game.

That said, I too love my PSPgo. I also like my PSP-2000, but the compactness of the go (and the extra features) make it my first choice :D

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Bleh, so the game that was really drawing me to buy this, Phantasy Star Portable, was pulled from PSN last month for no apparent reason. That means no way to get it on the Go. Think this is a no-buy for me.[/QUOTE]

There are definitely ways to play UMD-only games on the Go. It's easier now than it's ever been.

If you're interested, don't wait too long. I just checked...only 9 left (there were over 20 this morning), and only 2 of those are "Grade 6" (Some fine scratches or minor scuffs). The others are Grade 5 (Some scratches and/or signs of use) or Grade 4 (Significant scratches or scuffs). Make sure to read the additional notes for each unit because in some cases they indicate if there are scratches on the screen or if there are other problems, as well as whether any of the accessories are included.

[quote name='Shaimun']This is just what I needed. I am grateful for this thread. I recently bought tactics ogre and FFIV Complete so I needed a PSP.[/QUOTE]

Glad to help.

For anyone else that is interested, I just checked and there are only 3 more left at this price.

[quote name='Snuggelz']All gone! :( Dead Deal.[/QUOTE]

Dang, that was fast! Somebody must have bought all 3 at once because it was only moving down at a trickle for the last few hours. Oh well, glad some people were able to pick one up and sorry you missed out.

FYI: They do have ONE white PSP-2001 listed for $69:
http://www.cowboom.com/product/654425

[quote name='Shaimun']This is just what I needed. I am grateful for this thread. I recently bought tactics ogre and FFIV Complete so I needed a PSP.[/QUOTE]

You know that if you bought physical copies of those games, you can't play them on the PSP GO because it's digital download only and there's no way to transfer the UMD to the Go...

Right?

[quote name='blindinglights']You know that if you bought physical copies of those games, you can't play them on the PSP GO because it's digital download only and there's no way to transfer the UMD to the Go...

Right?[/QUOTE]

There are ways, but you should only use them if you've actually bought the game and have it in your possession.

Deal isn't quite dead they added more just bought one. They seem to have one more though. But am sure they will add more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grabbed one, and is super excited...

I was looking for mp3 player anyways.

and cowboom5 for $5 off

and is product grade 6 well maintained? there wasn't any comment about scratches being on the screen

Man this is tempting... I really need a new PSP but all my games are UMDs and cracking PSPs is complicated as hell for a newb from what I've seen.

I guess I spoke too soon. Sorry about that.
It is incredibly tempting. I kind of want one so i can play the FF's whenever I want or have them NOT on my PS3.

hehe Oh well, It may just be my luck, but every time I look it's OOS again. Maybe it's fate trying to tell me: "Stop spending money!"

I'm taking it this is not worth it if the Vita interests you?

I think I'll be getting a Vita in March or April. What is the word on the PSP games on the PSN working on the Vita? If you can purchase them and play it on the Vita, I'll just do that. Common sense says it would play them.

[quote name='Kidd.o']I'm taking it this is not worth it if the Vita interests you?

I think I'll be getting a Vita in March or April. What is the word on the PSP games on the PSN working on the Vita? If you can purchase them and play it on he Vita, I'll just do that.[/QUOTE]

They'll work on vita

Which is the best non-Go model of PSP to get? I had a launch system, but I didn't play it often and it eventually stopped reading discs. Should I go for a 3000, or is the screen not that big of an issue? Also, what's the deal with hacks and an updated system? Can I put the latest firmware on and still hack it or not right now?

[quote name='Vinny']Man this is tempting... I really need a new PSP but all my games are UMDs and cracking PSPs is complicated as hell for a newb from what I've seen.[/QUOTE]

Installing custom firmware on a PSPGo is as easy as downloading the the appropriate files on your computer, transferring them to your PSP via USB cable, and running the installer.

Really. There used to be all kinds of mess you had to go through, but it's a simple process now and it just works.

[quote name='dave auto']Installing custom firmware on a PSPGo is as easy as downloading the the appropriate files on your computer, transferring them to your PSP via USB cable, and running the installer.

Really. There used to be all kinds of mess you had to go through, but it's a simple process now and it just works.[/QUOTE]
Is it the same for PSP 2001?

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Is it the same for PSP 2001?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and it works with the firmware 6.60 is the latest version of the firmware. The only difference with the PSP 2001 is that you will need a memory card since it doesn't have built in memory. It also doesn't have bluetooth so you won't be able to use a dualshock with it if you want to do TV out on it.

[quote name='SScorpio']Only the PSPGo has bluetooth.[/QUOTE]

This is one of the reasons I had any interest in the PSPGo. Being able to use a Dual Shock 3 to play while hooked up to a TV seems convenient. Still wish the PSP 2000/3000 had this function or connected through the USB port.

I Googled it and it seems like the older models can get Bluetooth with an extra dongle. Ill take the disk drive and dongle.

[quote name='KtMack23']I Googled it and it seems like the older models can get Bluetooth with an extra dongle. Ill take the disk drive and dongle.[/QUOTE]

Did a quick google search and it gave me bluetooth with dongle for bluetooth headphones/mic., nothing on using a Dual Shock 3. Got my hopes up. :(

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Did a quick google search and it gave me bluetooth with dongle for bluetooth headphones/mic., nothing on using a Dual Shock 3. Got my hopes up. :([/QUOTE]

Oh I didn't look that hard. That sucks. All my hopes of big screen tactic ogre, crushed

SO, I tried about 10 times to get my credit card to work over several times last night, didn't go through, have about that many pending charges on my card to "verify" if the card is actually there, and now that I actually got it verified, the psp is of course not there.

bread's done
Back