Used Xbox 360 HDDs from banned consoles

rsulway

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I have a friend who, some time ago, bought a modded xbox 360 pro. Then it RROD'd. Because it was modded he had no warranty, so he had to buy a new one.

The catch is that MS banned all modded consoles from accessing their live service, so he was wary about using the old hard drive and buying an Arcade, only to find himself banned again - so he bought another Pro.

But what if the hard drive is formatted? Is there any way for MS to tell it originally came from a banned system? If I buy an Arcade, and use my friend's HDD could I get permanently screwed?

What about buying used HDDs? Of course no one has any way of knowing whether they came from banned consoles, so is it just a bad idea to buy used?

Any advice/opinions anybody has would be of great help to me!

My understanding is that although that's how they do it at the moment, there's nothing to stop them from changing things in the future.

i.e. even when formatted, the HDD retains some record of the systems it's been on, and at some point MS could use that info against people. I think this is what my friend was told by MS when he was investigating whether to buy the Pro or Arcade.

Does this sound at all reasonable/likely or is it just MS trying to get my friend to buy a more expensive system?

dont worry about it. Plenty of people with banned system just get another core/arcade and use the old HDD.

bread's done
Back