Uwe Boll interview about Postal and his previous video game movies

whiptcracker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://diehardgamefan.insidepulse.com/2008/04/09/uwe-boll-interview-about-postal/

He kind of goes on for awhile, and occasionally veers off the topic of his movies. In the interview he mentions that for at least three of his movies he had practically no support from the studios behind the games (House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, and Bloodrayne). As much derision as he gets for these movies do you think it's the responsibility at all of the studios to ensure that the games are being well represented?

[quote name='dank']jesus that guy is a horrible interviewer.[/QUOTE]

Any suggestions on how I can improve? This was all done over the phone, and his accent makes things...interesting.

Edit: Just to clarify, I am the interviewer in the article. He was a pretty pleasant guy actually. What interests me is the fact that he mentioned EA showed off a game engine that displayed a ton of zombies on the screen. EA trying to counter Dead Rising?

[quote name='whiptcracker']Any suggestions on how I can improve?

[/quote]

oh snap lol...wasnt expecting that.

well since i said it, might as well explain why. i had a couple of gripes, for one, you sound unsure of yourself(you could have probably just edited those parts out) where you say "i was just wondering" "i guess" and the "uh um ohs" you could have probably just edited out of the text, like i said, makes it sound like you dont know what you are doing or that you are unsure of yourself.

and then my biggest gripe of all....you werent prepared in the sense that you asked questions like "how many movies have you done." "i heard you were doing far cry" and he responded "its done" (a quick look on imdb says its in post production) and a couple other back story questions like that. if this was a really big interview with someone and you didnt do your research about the person, its basically saying "fuck you" to the person and "i dont really care." you should always know that sort of stuff or dont ask those sort of questions, obviously he didnt mind(probably because those movies never reached america(i dunno)) but you can piss people off like that for not being prepared on what their previous work was. usually those types of questions shouldnt even be asked.

overall the interview was good, because it was just interesting to hear what he had to say about his movies and what not, but you could definitely improve your interviewing skills, and pre-interview research.

just my opinion. sorry if i sound like a dickhead.

It was an interesting read. I agree with Dank's suggestion that you better research your interviewee beforehand so you can pick their brains on other topics of interest. It was sad to see the final question wasted so.
It would've been interesting if you'd asked what implications the closure of the German film tax shelter has on funding for his projects.

[quote name='dank']oh snap lol...wasnt expecting that.

well since i said it, might as well explain why. i had a couple of gripes, for one, you sound unsure of yourself(you could have probably just edited those parts out) where you say "i was just wondering" "i guess" and the "uh um ohs" you could have probably just edited out of the text, like i said, makes it sound like you dont know what you are doing or that you are unsure of yourself.

and then my biggest gripe of all....you werent prepared in the sense that you asked questions like "how many movies have you done." "i heard you were doing far cry" and he responded "its done" (a quick look on imdb says its in post production) and a couple other back story questions like that. if this was a really big interview with someone and you didnt do your research about the person, its basically saying "fuck you" to the person and "i dont really care." you should always know that sort of stuff or dont ask those sort of questions, obviously he didnt mind(probably because those movies never reached america(i dunno)) but you can piss people off like that for not being prepared on what their previous work was. usually those types of questions shouldnt even be asked.

overall the interview was good, because it was just interesting to hear what he had to say about his movies and what not, but you could definitely improve your interviewing skills, and pre-interview research.

just my opinion. sorry if i sound like a dickhead.[/QUOTE]

Nope you don't sound like a dickhead at all.

The ohs and ums where actually me trying to transcribe the conversation and I actually left a lot of those out, on both sides of the conversation.

As far as asking about how many movies he has done outside of gaming, I actually knew that he has done some movies outside of video games, but I don't think much of the community knows about that so the question was mostly to just get him to talk about those films. Though in the future I could probably just ask him to elaborate on those films instead of sounding like a tool. I really should've done an IMDB search though honestly prior to the interview he didn't give me an expectation on how much time he wanted to talk on the phone so I thought it would be a lot shorter(this was all set up the day before). Once he started rolling he just wanted to keep talking though and you are correct, I wasn't as prepared as I could've been for that.

Thank you for providing constructive feedback. I'm more used to interviewing people in person or through email, and I'll readily admit I was more awkward than I should've been over the phone. He was very polite about it though.

[quote name='looploop']It was an interesting read. I agree with Dank's suggestion that you better research your interviewee beforehand so you can pick their brains on other topics of interest. It was sad to see the final question wasted so.
It would've been interesting if you'd asked what implications the closure of the German film tax shelter has on funding for his projects.[/QUOTE]

The ending was really abrupt actually. He got another call while I was talking to him.

Honestly, it's not your fault that everything Uwe touches turns to crap, whipt.... but def. could have helped doing a little research before speaking at him.... yes... I said at him... because he's notorious for not being involved in conversations, especially in regards to his films

You know, I don't even blame the choice of actors in his films... I blame stupid German investors for continuing to fund his talentless projects.

[quote name='dyeknom']Honestly, it's not your fault that everything Uwe touches turns to crap, whipt.... but def. could have helped doing a little research before speaking at him.... yes... I said at him... because he's notorious for not being involved in conversations, especially in regards to his films

You know, I don't even blame the choice of actors in his films... I blame stupid German investors for continuing to fund his talentless projects.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he needs a stronger interviewer. The whole thing was really sudden, and he is really hard to keep on track. I kept trying to get him back to talking about Postal.

Edit: Is it also a coincedence that after I talked to Boll I'm now 666th on the CAG Xbox live score list? :)

I thought parts of the interview seemed very researched. I'm not going back to look now, but you seemed to have speicific knowledge of many of his movies.

I agree you could have just edited out your 'umms' but I understood it was a direct transcript so it was no big deal.

When I first started reading the interview I was planning on it being something to just make fun of Boll, but once I realized it was done seriously I liked it.

bread's done
Back