Valentines ADV DVD Sale: Here we go again

I never watched anime with the exception of case closed(loved that show) I kinda want to try and get into it. Can anyone reccomend me some good, cheap movies from this sale that I should order.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']They jacked up the price on that Eva Platinum box a good $6 from their last sale. Way to go, ADV.[/QUOTE]

Is still only $18, which is pretty damn cheap compared to the $30 everywhere else. (Save for volumes 6 & 7...)

The page is moving at a snail's pace for me but I'm contemplating whether or not to finish up the last few series I started with the last sale...oooh...

That and I still have to get the majority of Dunbine and, for these prices, I've been holding off for long enough. $4 a pop...so good...but there are so many fantastic games coming out soon. Decisions, decisions...

[quote name='Megalith']These are all damaged goods, with holes in the UPC, right.[/QUOTE]

really? can anyone verify this because im not buying anything if they have holes in them

They do punch a tiny hole in the UPC, that's it, it's maybe a cm big if that and you don't even notice it hardly. If you care that much then just don't buy anything from them and don't complain (though I don't get why people are passing on cheap anime DVDs for such a petty reason, foolish IMo but more for me). If you don't like it don't deal with them, simple as that... Sorry if that sounded curt, but we go through this every ADV sale and it's ridculous.

[quote name='Weedy649']really? can anyone verify this because im not buying anything if they have holes in them[/QUOTE]

i've gotten stuff from past sales and there is a hole where the upc lable is. other than that they were sealed, new dvds.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']They do punch a tiny hole in the UPC, that's it, it's maybe a cm big if that and you don't even notice it hardly. If you care that much then just don't buy anything from them and don't complain (though I don't get why people are passing on cheap anime DVDs for such a petty reason, foolish IMo but more for me). If you don't like it don't deal with them, simple as that... Sorry if that sounded curt, but we go through this every ADV sale and it's ridculous.[/QUOTE]

amen! cheap anime, here i come!

Yea, the last 2 sales i bought from, they had holes punched in all the dvd's.

Never thought i'd say this, but Best buy's prices are a lot better, and then theres the additional 30% off.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']most of that stuff is the same price on DDD or even lower. if something is lower, you can send an email to DDD and get them to match the price.[/QUOTE]

Only they don't have as many of the ADV titles on DDD anymore, and while some of the newer shows and boxsets maybe the same price, the majority of individual titles is actually lower than DDD.com.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']They do punch a tiny hole in the UPC, that's it, it's maybe a cm big if that and you don't even notice it hardly. If you care that much then just don't buy anything from them and don't complain (though I don't get why people are passing on cheap anime DVDs for such a petty reason, foolish IMo but more for me). If you don't like it don't deal with them, simple as that... Sorry if that sounded curt, but we go through this every ADV sale and it's ridculous.[/QUOTE]

I wasnt as into anime last ADV sale so i didnt bother to look at it. Im glad i asked anyway because after looking at DDD, the prices are indeed the same(few pennies lower), free shipping(i was about to pay 14 in shipping on ADV unless there is a coupon i dont know of) and no sort of hole through the upc

[quote name='takingchase']I never watched anime with the exception of case closed(loved that show) I kinda want to try and get into it. Can anyone reccomend me some good, cheap movies from this sale that I should order.[/QUOTE]

Kino's Journey, the complete collection, is an absolute steal. Same price at DDD so you might want to get it there.

Voices of a Distant Star is also quite nice, though it was cheaper last year.

I'm biting on Azumanga Daioh. I got all the individual discs (with the extras and booklets) for the price of the collection. Can't do that at DDD.

Well, they maybe only 1cm now, but I remember that from the first couple sales that I ordered, the UPC was more like gash and slashed. Ever since then I've been extremely wary of ordering from them. Also, you forgot to mention that there shipping is just horrid, but that you can find some stuff that others may not have.

[quote name='WebScud']Is still only $18, which is pretty damn cheap compared to the $30 everywhere else. (Save for volumes 6 & 7...)[/QUOTE]
I don't know what magical computer monitor you're staring at, but mine has it clearly listed as $24. Factor in shipping, and it's no deal. DDD is cheaper.

[quote name='blandstalker']Kino's Journey, the complete collection, is an absolute steal. Same price at DDD so you might want to get it there.

Voices of a Distant Star is also quite nice, though it was cheaper last year.

I'm biting on Azumanga Daioh. I got all the individual discs (with the extras and booklets) for the price of the collection. Can't do that at DDD.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think I'm going to try out Kino's Journey. I'm still new to the DVD deals section of CAG though and I noticed a lot of people saying stuff like "I'm gonna wait till the next huge DDD sale" For those sales at DDD are they just select items or is it just a percentage off anything?

word of advice: Kino no Tabi (Kino's Travels/Journey) is one of the best anime's ever created. This is not an over exaggeration(actually it probably is). I reccomend it for anyone who wants an anime that will make you think. But please leave one for me :)

[quote name='JmasterK']word of advice: Kino no Tabi (Kino's Travels/Journey) is one of the best anime's ever created. This is not an over exaggeration(actually it probably is). I reccomend it for anyone who wants an anime that will make you think. But please leave one for me :)[/QUOTE]

Kino's Journey was fingering my girlfriend and doing my sister at the same time, that's how good it is.

[quote name='takingchase']Thanks, I think I'm going to try out Kino's Journey. I'm still new to the DVD deals section of CAG though and I noticed a lot of people saying stuff like "I'm gonna wait till the next huge DDD sale" For those sales at DDD are they just select items or is it just a percentage off anything?[/QUOTE]

20% off all items except pre-orders.

[quote name='Blade']Kino's Journey was fingering my girlfriend and doing my sister at the same time, that's how good it is.[/QUOTE]

I wou;dmn't go that far. But it's sorta like twilight zone meets anime.

This round is a bit dissapointing I think. Nothing super cheap and some price increases
(manga has almost doubled from the older sales from 3.50 to 6.00). And yes, a lot of the thinpacks are not all that discounted considering the high shipping.

.... OK, I'm damn confused. I'm only getting a list of #-D DVD titles, with no way to click through to another page of sale items.

Am I missing something here? There IS more, right?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Damn, I gotta be sleepier than I thought...

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']20% off all items except pre-orders.[/QUOTE]

oh man, how often do those roll around? Now I'm thinking about waiting to buy this dvd.

I got all of Azumanga Daioh with the box and vol. 2 of Kino's Journey to complete my set of that for just over 50 bucks! Woo!

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Dam you ADV, why must you tempt me![/QUOTE]

Because they are the devil and cheap anime is their irresistable song.

Hmm...with all the praise that Kino's Journey is receiving I may have to look into buying that one. Don't want to order it from ADV; there shipping kills the deal plus the chance of a tear/hole. DDD seems reasonable, but maybe I'll just pick it up sooner with the 30% off coupon that BB is having now since it'll come out to just about the same.

[quote name='DuelLadyS'].... OK, I'm damn confused. I'm only getting a list of #-D DVD titles, with no way to click through to another page of sale items.

Am I missing something here? There IS more, right?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Damn, I gotta be sleepier than I thought...[/QUOTE]

I must be slow because I am having the same issue. I dont see where I can continue to the other sections.

[quote name='Gamehead']I must be slow because I am having the same issue. I dont see where I can continue to the other sections.[/QUOTE]
Check the menu next to the dvds and click on dvd and you'll see option for the rest of the alpahbetical categories.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Check the menu next to the dvds and click on dvd and you'll see option for the rest of the alpahbetical categories.[/QUOTE]

WoW. Thanks. For some reason I wouldnt think to look there.

There is a nice selection. I dont really like the shipping costs but oh well it doesnt bother me to much. I believe it starts off at 5$ and goes up $1 for each DVD.

[quote name='thorbahn3']OOoooo, they gots Hello Kitty. :D[/QUOTE]
Yeah they got lots of individual volumes up this time. Complete your set now. (Especially all of us who got a volume free as our "bonus" in a previous sale).

I sent them an e-mail asking for the extra coupons I was supposed to get when I created 15 e-mails and signed them all up under an anime club.

So far, they haven't sent anything back. Maybe I shouldn't have been so thorough...

Edit: Oh yeah, and if I ever met a hot girl like Kino, I'd marry her in a heartbeat. I likes my women like that.

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']So how bad is this shipping everyone is complaining about?[/QUOTE]

ITs $6 for the first item and $1 for each additional item. Kinda bad if you're only ordering one thing, but if you plan on buying a lot, its a decent deal for Fedex shipping.

But shipping can take 1-4 weeks normally , or 1-4 months if your order is backordered.

My full order came today -- much quicker than expected. Everything looks good -- the holes in the UPCs are even much smaller than I'd anticipated.

bread's done
Back