Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) $19.96 @ Walmart

I just happened to wander in to WM to buy some bread and I remembered seeing this post about VC. SHAZAM!!! Found the last copy in stock.

Guess I will be looking to pick up Valkyria Chronicles in the near future.

Thank you scarclone and XClaude for the gameplay overview of "turn-based" strategy games. It really helps. Prior to this, I had the impression gaming involved the one who had better, quicker reflexes. The setup now makes better sense. Gameplay footage simply looked awkward when the user character was in enemies plain sight. Three enemies with weapons/guns congregated together and suddenly one shot dead, while the other two remains nonchalant.

The characters had all the physical attributes of real people. The lack of the instinctive "fire back when fired at/attack the enemy" reflex simply made me question the concept ... causing me to have a mental disconnect when compared to their real life counterparts in warfare where the aggressor wins. An image discrepancy.

Are there any non-traditional RPG in which having a quicker reaction time means more? Something along the lines of Zelda (However, not even sure if that's considered a strategy role playing game (SRPG)).

The original Legend of Zelda on Nintendo was absolutely incredible. High immersion factor. High replay value. Ridiculous time consuming in a positive way, months on end right out of the box; all without the need for an online mode (albeit not available on the original Nintendo). Something apparently next gen games lack from what I have read, with [a majority percentage of] blockbuster games averaging anywhere from 10 - 15 hours in the "Player vs. CPU" mode, with game play extension coming by ways of an online community.

I am actually just getting back to gaming after a long hiatus (6-7 years plus) from console gaming. MLB The Show 09, Gran Turismo 5 including the many other sports titles on these next generation systems rekindled my interest. Realism with respect to graphics is an absolute treat. Noticed this Valkyria Chronicles thread and thought I run a youtube gameplay search. Graphically enticing, and not the traditional straight first/third person shooter. A change of pace.

[quote name='scarclone']It's a turn based strategy game. On your turn, the enemy can fire before you engage them if you get to close, but they cannot move until it is their turn. The same holds true for you when it is the enemies turn. You have to stand their and take the punishment. Finding cover and not leaving yourself exposed after turns are finished is essential.

Valkyria Chronicles is a great game, but if you aren't into SRPG's you might want to give it a pass. However, if you've never played any SRPG's then this would be one the best to introduce you to the genre.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='XClaude']See, you've missed the entire premise of a turn-based game. As scarclone stated, you gets to act when its your turn and you take the beating when its their turn.

In fact, VC is one of the few games that breaks the "true" turn-based gameplay style. During your turn, if you move into enemies' line of fire, they will open fire and you'll eat it hard. Traditional turn-based games(all the tactics games out there) allows you to move freely(or within the character's movement capability) without taking any heat until you open attack to an enemy unit... only then will the attacked enemy "counter" your attack. All other units around the area are... well... dummies until their turn or being acted upon. While you might think it's stupidly easy that you can do all you want without the whole army going at you... you're wrong. :) Cuz when it's their turn... you're sitting duck if you're surrounded as each of their character can take turn beating you down.

Because VC adds lil mixes like that to heighten gameplay excitement, it's awesome.

If you have GBA or NDS... try Advance Wars.

EDIT: Turn-based games are my forte... I just had to say something when someone fails to appreciate its depth. hehe.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='strawberryshortcake']Guess I will be looking to pick up Valkyria Chronicles in the near future.

Thank you scarclone and XClaude for the gameplay overview of "turn-based" strategy games. It really helps. Prior to this, I had the impression gaming involved the one who had better, quicker reflexes. The setup now makes better sense. Gameplay footage simply looked awkward when the user character was in enemies plain sight. Three enemies with weapons/guns congregated together and suddenly one shot dead, while the other two remains nonchalant.

The characters had all the physical attributes of real people. The lack of the instinctive "fire back when fired at/attack the enemy" reflex simply made me question the concept ... causing me to have a mental disconnect when compared to their real life counterparts in warfare where the aggressor wins. An image discrepancy.

Are there any non-traditional RPG in which having a quicker reaction time means more? Something along the lines of Zelda (However, not even sure if that's considered a strategy role playing game (SRPG)).

The original Legend of Zelda on Nintendo was absolutely incredible. High immersion factor. High replay value. Ridiculous time consuming in a positive way, months on end right out of the box; all without the need for an online mode (albeit not available on the original Nintendo). Something apparently next gen games lack from what I have read, with [a majority percentage of] blockbuster games averaging anywhere from 10 - 15 hours in the "Player vs. CPU" mode, with game play extension coming by ways of an online community.

I am actually just getting back to gaming after a long hiatus (6-7 years plus) from console gaming. MLB The Show 09, Gran Turismo 5 including the many other sports titles on these next generation systems rekindled my interest. Realism with respect to graphics is an absolute treat. Noticed this Valkyria Chronicles thread and thought I run a youtube gameplay search. Graphically enticing, and not the traditional straight first/third person shooter. A change of pace.[/QUOTE]

Do my eyes deceive me? Another Paranoia Agent fan on this site? Who knew?

I am actually considering purchasing this as I foolishly traded the game in before finishing it properly, if I can manage to find it for this price I'll definitely pick it up again.

Valkyria Chronicles.

1. What about replay value?
2. Is this game pretty much linear?
3. Average number of hours to beat?

Side Note:

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']Do my eyes deceive me? Another Paranoia Agent fan on this site? Who knew?

I am actually considering purchasing this as I foolishly traded the game in before finishing it properly, if I can manage to find it for this price I'll definitely pick it up again.[/QUOTE]

Definitely a Paranoia Agent fan. Favorite anime actually. (Red Garden, however, is absolutely up there as well). Coming from a Disney/American style cartoon background, Paranoia Agent was much easier to digest compared to anything offered at the time.

Looking forward to another Satoshi Kon series, hopefully it's in the works. If not I've got his movies to fall back on. Quality work with great replay value to boot. Tokyo Godfather would have been nice with an English dub track.

[quote name='strawberryshortcake']Valkyria Chronicles.

[/QUOTE]

1. I've played it all the way through 4 times. It is my favorite PS3 game, so obviously I've played it a bit more, but the point is the replay value is incredibly high.

2. There are side missions here and there, but yes, it is mostly linear (which, given its structure, it pretty much has to be.)

3. Couldn't say, really depends on how much time you spend doing skirmishes and maxing out your troops. There's definitely the potential to pour a ton of hours into it, as I have,

I can't say enough good things about V.C. It is that good. It is a visual banquet that also has a story comparable to something square enix would produce. You will not be wasting your hard earned dollars if you pick this game up. Billy Mays guarentees it!

Like the sigs say,
"If you own one of these (PS3) but don't own one of these (copy of Valkyria Chronicles). Then you are doing it wrong!"

This game is really under rated by the general gamer public it seems. Taking the mantle to be the sleeper gem that everyone knows about. Beyond good and Evil anyone?

I went to 4 different Wal-marts around Los Angeles (Baldwin park, Crenshaw, Pico Rivera, Rosemead) but none of them has Valkyria Chronicle. :(
Picked up Folklore for $19.96 though... well, better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up 3 copies at a Southern Illinois Wal-Mart. If anyone is interested I would be willing one of the extra sealed copies for a used copy of Brutal Legend or Katamari Forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='strawberryshortcake']Valkyria Chronicles.

Side Note:

Definitely a Paranoia Agent fan. Favorite anime actually. (Red Garden, however, is absolutely up there as well). Coming from a Disney/American style cartoon background, Paranoia Agent was much easier to digest compared to anything offered at the time.

Looking forward to another Satoshi Kon series, hopefully it's in the works. If not I've got his movies to fall back on. Quality work with great replay value to boot. Tokyo Godfather would have been nice with an English dub track.[/QUOTE]
Paranoia Agent was my very first anime, after catching it on Adult Swim a couple times I became hooked and I now have the full set of episodes on DVD, as well as everything else Satoshi Kon has made. I can't wait for his next project.

[quote name='52club']Picked up 3 copies at a Southern Illinois Wal-Mart. If anyone is interested I would be willing to trade the two extra sealed copies for used copies of Need for Speed Shfit or Katamari Forever.[/QUOTE]

did you hit up the springfield area store, lol I was the only one who bought there the guy said...

From everything that I've read it sounds like Demon's Soul is like Zelda-like action RPG but with punishing difficulty. The game is reviewing very well, so I'd check out some of those reviews and see if that game would be up your alley.

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']Do my eyes deceive me? Another Paranoia Agent fan on this site? Who knew?
[/QUOTE]

Paranoia Agent is the shit

I need to buy this sometime soon.

[quote name='blitzbllmstr']did you hit up the springfield area store, lol I was the only one who bought there the guy said...[/QUOTE]

Nope it was further south Mt. Vernon, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmanus1980
Anyone think an unopened copy of this game will be worth more than $40 a year from now?
Just a year? no.

As of right now the current bid on ebay is $33.99 + $3.00 shipping for the soonest ending auction for this game new (ends in about 11 1/2 hrs from now). This is a lot higher than last week. Now I'm actually thinking this game will be well over $40 unopened a year from now. Considering it's OOP a new copy should be completely impossible to find shortly at any retailer shortly and command a huge premium as long as the demand remains especially considering it's a great game.

If anyone has a copy of this just for trading or flipping purposes, CML.

Unfortunately no Wal-Mart around me has it, but I would trade some of my stuff for a copy!

Oh snap. I just went on the website... it's not in stock, but it looks like if it does come back it's now $12.00. Wonder if the in-store price is down to that now too?

Found the last copy at a fairly out of the way Walmart I saw passing through a town. Figured I'd stop in, and the guy in electronics said he thought he saw one, but it was in the discount bin, and pointed at a gigantic, 2-bin setup with hundreds of games piled three and a half feet high. Thanks to CAG I've long been accustomed to rummaging through bins quickly and efficiently, and 5 minutes later I had my copy.

I went to the Wallmart in Plano IL and bought one of the 2 copies they had. They should have one left as of 10/23/09 til someone picks it up.

[quote name='Mitch662']I went to the Wallmart in Plano IL and bought one of the 2 copies they had. They should have one left as of 10/23/09 til someone picks it up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, I just bought the other copy.

Gardner, KS Walmart has 7 copies. I have been calling different stores in the area for months now and finally found one by dumb luck. Can't wait to get back into this game.

bread's done
Back