Value Of Broken Tivo?

chosen1s

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I apologize if this is the wrong forum, seems to fit (minor brag included as well).

Parents' old Tivo broke. It was a 40-hour Series 2 with Lifetime Service (Single Tuner).

Called Tivo, they TRANSFERRED the Lifetime Service to a refurb 80-hour replacement (for a "small" fee of course), but said they didn't want the old Tivo back ("too old" they said lol). Tivo ONLY sent the replacement box, so the remote, plug, wires, etc all go with the new Tivo now, leaving an old, broken 40-hour Tivo box.

Question is, is there any value to this thing, or should my parents just pitch it? I'm 99% confident the hard drive died. When plugged in, it just has the gray screen with "Powering up, wait a few minutes please". Never gets past that. We opened it up and made sure all connections were tight, etc. Pretty sure it's the hard drive.

Note: Never fiddle with the inside of a Tivo while it's plugged in LOL

Assuming it's the hard drive, you can learn about trying to drop a new drive in a Tivo. :D

www.weaknees.com is a site that sells Tivo upgrades, including drives, software to do drive upgrades, and the like. You can pick up a remote from there, though I've seen them elsewhere on the Internet. AC cord is the same type of cord you use for a fat PS2, so if you have one of those handy, you're OK, otherwise, Weaknees would have one for order.

www.tivocommunity.com is a great site to learn about the Tivo, and some of the things to do with it.

bread's done
Back