Vanquish (360/PS3) $16.99 at Toys R Us

No drop for the PS3 version and the shitty third party offer still in there... damn you amazon...

I just picked up a copy of this game and MK at TRU. Tried to pricematch at BB, but they gave me that whole line about how they can't match coupons.

thanks OP as well.

they had a bunch of copies for both systems and no sale sign or anything.

the cashier didnt know about it and told me he was buying one for himself also. lol

just need the time to play it now as i just picked up crysis 2 for 39.99 at kmart yesterday.

[quote name='GreenSpark']Heck yeah on Amazon finally updating their price! Thanks to all who reported, as this is just as good as the TRU deal minus ~$2 lost savings after the tax, which is easily negated by the hassle in driving way out to the store again. Now to find something for $5:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Amazon has it for $30.94...

Picked up my copy for $18.01. Just a note to people who still may not know, the price was marked at $39.99, but when it rang up it was the sale price, so just try to ring it up first.

Picked up a 360 version at my local TRU -- ordered online with instore pick up, no problems, 17.84 total with tax. Great deal, I've been holding out for $20 so this was even better than I hoped.

Also, at Amazon this game had been consistently going up in price, not down . . . after bottoming out at around $25. Glad to see TRU blew these out cheap!

And from what I've read, the 360 and PS3 versions perform pretty much the same, so that leaves it to controller preference on PS3 vs. 360. Correct me if I am wrong?

[quote name='chimpmeister']And from what I've read, the 360 and PS3 versions perform pretty much the same, so that leaves it to controller preference on PS3 vs. 360. Correct me if I am wrong?[/QUOTE]

The 360 version has occasional screen tearing while the PS3 one is v-synced.

[quote name='Thrinn']The 360 version has occasional screen tearing while the PS3 one is v-synced.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, PS3 was the lead console, and the game performs slightly better because of it. If you have the choice, PS3 is the way to go.

haha, I love the back and forth of the PS3 vs Xbox 360 (I always just google that string but with the game name in front of it)...I read about 4 links that say they're almost identical (yeah 360 has that screen tearing) However, keep in mind, most of these articles were based on the demo.. I went with 360 b/c a) I'll have my achievements as I unlock them ;) and b) no mandatory HDD install, which is 2.5gb on the PS3..

Also, they say the 360 is more responsive: 'Digitial Foundry writes:

“The key difference seems to be that the Xbox 360 goes for a conventional capped 30FPS, double-buffer approach (losing v-sync when dropping under the target frame-rate in order to maintain fluidity) whereas the PS3 game employs triple-buffering, effectively ensuring that there is not a single torn frame any time during the gameplay experience. The Xbox 360 version feels a touch more responsive, but whether this is down to the double-buffering or a slightly higher average frame-rate is something we’ll need to take a look at in more depth with the final review code when it appears.” '

OH, and this game ROCKS! can't believe I waited soooo long..totally made me lose the urge to impulse buy Crysis 2 at a high price.

[quote name='token2k6']can't believe I waited soooo long..totally made me lose the urge to impulse buy Crysis 2 at a high price.[/QUOTE]
This. I've been craving a $20 or less price point since the demo was available. Picked my copy up tonight!

[quote name='benjamouth']Bah, my in-store pickup order got canceled, guess they couldn't find it.[/QUOTE]
Mine got cancelled as well yesterday due to it being "unavailable", so I called the store to see if they actually ran out and they told me they had copies left. I was pissed so I called the 800 number to complain and they said if the store inventory drops to 5 copies or less, orders automatically get cancelled. The store told me they had 3 copies left and they could only hold one for me until the end of the day, so I rushed over there yesterday and picked it up. I originally paid for the order using a GC and since the order got cancelled, it would take 2-3 bus. days for the GC to revalue. I really wanted to pay for the game using the GC, so TRU told me to just pay for it then, come back later to get a refund and pay for it with the GC after it got revalued. So much hassle just to get a deal on a game I'll probably never get around to playing since my backlog is maybe 500+ by now.

[quote name='token2k6']haha, I love the back and forth of the PS3 vs Xbox 360 (I always just google that string but with the game name in front of it)...I read about 4 links that say they're almost identical (yeah 360 has that screen tearing) However, keep in mind, most of these articles were based on the demo.. I went with 360 b/c a) I'll have my achievements as I unlock them ;) and b) no mandatory HDD install, which is 2.5gb on the PS3..

Also, they say the 360 is more responsive: 'Digitial Foundry writes:

“The key difference seems to be that the Xbox 360 goes for a conventional capped 30FPS, double-buffer approach (losing v-sync when dropping under the target frame-rate in order to maintain fluidity) whereas the PS3 game employs triple-buffering, effectively ensuring that there is not a single torn frame any time during the gameplay experience. The Xbox 360 version feels a touch more responsive, but whether this is down to the double-buffering or a slightly higher average frame-rate is something we’ll need to take a look at in more depth with the final review code when it appears.” '

OH, and this game ROCKS! can't believe I waited soooo long..totally made me lose the urge to impulse buy Crysis 2 at a high price.[/QUOTE]
Haha. You left out the part where the PS3 version miraculously has better responsiveness during sequences where the framerate drops across both versions. But seriously, it's all about controller preference. Which is why I went with the PS3 version (since I hate the 360 bumpers with a passion' they feel as cheap as the D-pad).

Also, this game seriously does kick major ass. It just moves so quick that you don't really have time to take in the sights.

[quote name='bryan78']Mine got cancelled as well yesterday due to it being "unavailable", so I called the store to see if they actually ran out and they told me they had copies left. I was pissed so I called the 800 number to complain and they said if the store inventory drops to 5 copies or less, orders automatically get cancelled. The store told me they had 3 copies left and they could only hold one for me until the end of the day, so I rushed over there yesterday and picked it up. I originally paid for the order using a GC and since the order got cancelled, it would take 2-3 bus. days for the GC to revalue. I really wanted to pay for the game using the GC, so TRU told me to just pay for it then, come back later to get a refund and pay for it with the GC after it got revalued. So much hassle just to get a deal on a game I'll probably never get around to playing since my backlog is maybe 500+ by now.[/QUOTE]
Whoah you really have it that high? I guess I don't feel bad about buying this game when I have 100+ backlog. I only buy games under $20 unless I know I will play it day 1 and finish it rather quickly like The Last Guardian, Resistance 3, UC3, LA Noire and ME3.

[quote name='3rdbass']Whoah you really have it that high? I guess I don't feel bad about buying this game when I have 100+ backlog. I only buy games under $20 unless I know I will play it day 1 and finish it rather quickly like The Last Guardian, Resistance 3, UC3, LA Noire and ME3.[/QUOTE]

Someone else said this (I don't remember who) but when your backlog hits a certain point, it's not a backlog anymore, it becomes a collection- a collection that just sits and looks pretty though really it's filled with crap that was never actually worth playing cause they never make it into your system.

I share your mentality too, I've been trying to reduce my own backlog and now no matter how cheap something is, if there isn't the slightest possibility I'm going to play it in the next six months, I don't buy it, cause buying more stuff at a lower price isn't saving money no matter how you justify it to yourself.

FWIW, anyone have thoughts on the length of the game? I enjoyed the demo but I've been leery of picking this up because I heard it's so short, and with no online, I'd just like to get some thoughts from y'all. Thanks.

[quote name='Double-J']FWIW, anyone have thoughts on the length of the game? I enjoyed the demo but I've been leery of picking this up because I heard it's so short, and with no online, I'd just like to get some thoughts from y'all. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I borrowed the game from a friend and beat the entire thing in just over 6 hours on hard difficulty. So yes its extremely short but very fun. There's also a few challenge levels you can play. But not much replay value IMO.

It's replay value lies in your desire to complete the levels as quickly and efficiently as possible for the highest possible score for leaderboards. I don't particularly care for that kind of padding, so I was done after I beat the game.

the reason I didn't get this game for 40-60 was because of the replay value but for $17-$18 how much replay value are you worried about? I played through the first act yesterday and the game is bad ass.

[quote name='kofijamal']It's showing up as 39.99 for me. Is the deal over? If so, bummer.[/QUOTE]That's what I'm seeing, too. Well, if the deal is over, I'm sure we'll see decent prices on it again at some point. Maybe I'll just grab it when it's part of GF's used game sales.

[quote name='tbassett']the reason I didn't get this game for 40-60 was because of the replay value but for $17-$18 how much replay value are you worried about? I played through the first act yesterday and the game is bad ass.[/QUOTE]
This is the same feeling I have after playing the first act last night. For anywhere near MSRP it is not worth it, but for less than $20 this game rocks. The graphics and effects are worth the price alone and it is fun as hell. But I sayit isnt worth full price because I remember reviews saying the game was less than 5 hours long on normal and like someone above said, they finished it on HARD in 6. Really fast and smooth gameplay. Nothing else like it out there I dont think.

[quote name='wrencrest']This is the same feeling I have after playing the first act last night. For anywhere near MSRP it is not worth it, but for less than $20 this game rocks. The graphics and effects are worth the price alone and it is fun as hell. But I sayit isnt worth full price because I remember reviews saying the game was less than 5 hours long on normal and like someone above said, they finished it on HARD in 6. Really fast and smooth gameplay. Nothing else like it out there I dont think.[/QUOTE]

I was hoping for Bayonetta type greatness. I don't think it'll hit that level but this game is awesome. Plantinum games beeyatch

IMHO a 6 hour game is like your favorite movie. Something that if it's good enough, you have no problem popping in on a saturday or sunday afternoon and beating in one sitting.

picking my copy up on this today, but honestly if it's as enjoyable as everyone says, I have no issues going through games like this just for the heck of it... I mean how many 8/16-bit games did we replay over and over and over just because they were fun and we could beat them in a few hours?

[quote name='jsvalmont']I see this a lot on here "Waiting for Amazon to price match". I hope you guys realize if everyone does this then, in the end, the stores actually offering the deals will not get the business the sales were meant to drive, ultimately go out of business, then Amazon will be the only one left standing and will have no reason lower any prices below MSRP. Just something to think about. A small percentage in tax is not a big deal, guys - and if you make it into a big deal, government will find a way to make even items from Amazon and other online retailers (not in your state) to charge tax.[/QUOTE]
Some states have already pressured Amazon to charge tax(see: NY) and technically people in states where AMZ isn't required to collect tax are still supposed to remit it at year's end on their own, though very few likely do.

As for places going out of business that do these deals that Amazon matches, I say good, as some of them deserve to go fuckin' bankrupt.;)

Maybe it's because the game is OOS online or at least the PS3 version was when I checked. Some sites revert the price of an item back to it's current MSRP when it's out of stock.

EDIT: PS3 version is OOS, but 360 version is still in stock. So it may have only been a one day sale price.

ok so i just called my nearest toys are us the sale doesnt end until the end of the month and also the website now has it listed at 39.99 but it is still the sale price... just changed it because its OOS online

While this particular note may be YMMV, I for one didn't even have to order online or anything. I was able to walk in, simply ask for Vanquish, and it rung (rang?) up @ $16.99. Nice, quick, and painless~ So yeah, +1 for this being an in-store price as well. (This was Yesterday, but it sounds like the deal is still going on now)

A large bucket of thanks to ye OP! I've been drooling over this title for quite some time, but didn't really want to grab it for more than $20 based off the opinions of many other CAGs. This was a perfect price and i'm pretty excited to get some time in with it! :D Thanks!

Can't believe people are actually still over the fence at $17. You're getting one of the best single player campaigns of the year, from Platinum no less, but someone generic shooters with rehashed multiplayer (Black Ops, derp) get your attention instead? You sicken me.

[quote name='emg28']I just bought a copy and the price was $16.99 so the sale is still live in- store.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! On that note, I need to get on the road!

The price for Vanquish wasn't on display, but i had the guy scan it in store and it came up at sale price.

bread's done
Back