Vanquish (360/PS3) $16.99 at Toys R Us

Hey has anyone tried to apply the $10 discount coupon from the free magazine toysrus has and get this for $6.99?

[quote name='JQUEST97']Hey has anyone tried to apply the $10 discount coupon from the free magazine toysrus has and get this for $6.99?[/QUOTE]
Isnt it for Disney games only?

Rang up full price for me tonight in the store. Boooooo.

To make matters worse, I went to toysrus.com today and my anti-virus blocked a trojan. Probably a false positive, but still.

What kind of sale ends in the middle of the fucking week? Dumb, dumb , dumb.

Guess it's a YMMV situation at this point.

Oh well, it'll come back cheaper eventually. Always does.

UPDATE: After reading about other CAGers getting this deal AFTER I struck out, I decided to go back. This time, it worked. More details HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it the other day and the guy said that it was $40 too...I was confused and stood there for a while and was going to leave and felt like a pain...then some saint of a woman came by and plugged in some buttons and it said that it was $16.99 and I tried to hide my smile....didn't work but I am in love...LOVE I SAY, LOVE! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

I bit on it today when I was getting my free pokemon egg.....

Tagged as 39.99 but rang up 16.99

I hope this game is worth it....

All right, I tried to resist. I held off for a few days half hoping that the sale would end before I caved. I reminded myself about the backlog I've been very slowly trying to work through before the bulk of 2011's must-haves come out. In the end, the word of mouth combined with the $16.99 price proved too much for me. I just got back with my copy. Bonus: I found a soon-to-expire $10 promotional TRU gc I had forgotten about right before I left, so I only paid $8.05. Sweet.

By the way, I went to the Auburn, MA. TRU and they still had two 360 copies left if anyone else in my area assumed they'd missed out. Sorry, no idea whether they had any PS3 copies.

FYI, they still had 2 more copies of Vanquish at the Lakeline Mall TRU in Austin. It rang up as $39.99 but on sale so it came down to $16.99 once they totaled the sale.

Picked up Vanquish from Boca Raton, FL store with no issues. It rang up as 16.99 and they still had plenty of copies left over.

Just to confirm like everyone else: I went to the Toys R Us in Peabody, MA (Northshore Mall) and picked this up for $16.99. I have no idea how long this will last but I might pick up another copy tomorrow for my nephews. I hope its good.

Just got back from the Nanuet, NY TRU (rte. 59)

Quick head's up: There were around 5-6 left for PS3, around 3-4 for 360. Marked as $39.99. Rings up as $18 and some change in total.

No problems or anything.

[quote name='DaBargainHunta']Rang up full price for me tonight in the store. Boooooo.

To make matters worse, I went to toysrus.com today and my anti-virus blocked a trojan. Probably a false positive, but still.

What kind of sale ends in the middle of the fucking week? Dumb, dumb , dumb.

Guess it's a YMMV situation at this point.

Oh well, it'll come back cheaper eventually. Always does.[/QUOTE]

UPDATE ON THIS

After reading about other CAGers getting this deal AFTER I struck out, I decided to go back. This time, I took the game to the register, and sure enough, it rang up at the sale price. What happened before was the guy scanned it from the glass case with his little mini-scanner, and THAT showed only full price. So, yes, the deal is indeed still active. Thanks again, CAG!

P.S. I did the same for Epic Mickey (Wii) and used the $10 coupon in their free little gaming magazine by the register to get that for $15.

The price went back up online, but has anybody tried to buy it today (Saturday) in-store? Some people mentioned it was good through 4/30, but nobody has posted in a day or two. I'd like to know before driving 30 minutes to my nearest TRU.

I just bought this (Xbox 360) for $16.99 today, so the offer is still good, but this is supposed to be the last day.

Was tempted to get Mortal Kombat for $40, but it's not quite good enough to justify debt.

[quote name='mkernan']The price went back up online, but has anybody tried to buy it today (Saturday) in-store? Some people mentioned it was good through 4/30, but nobody has posted in a day or two. I'd like to know before driving 30 minutes to my nearest TRU.[/QUOTE]

I just picked it up today at $16.99 for Xbox. The in-store signs showed $39.99, but it came up $16.99 when I asked to cashier to scan a copy of the game.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I just bought this (Xbox 360) for $16.99 today, so the offer is still good, but this is supposed to be the last day.

Was tempted to get Mortal Kombat for $40, but it's not quite good enough to justify debt.[/QUOTE]
Not quite good enough? It has a 300 level challenge tower and easily a 10-12+ hour story mode besides the standard MK ladder. There's a TON of stuff to do in the game.

Albeit the only reason to go through the challenge tower's 300 levels is for an alt costume for Mileena, unless you just wanna do it for shits n giggles.:whistle2:#

As for Vanquish, I tried getting Best Buy to PM them on this at the end of the night hoping they would just agree to it, but since the price went back up on the website and no one would pick up at TRU to verify they wouldn't do it.:bomb:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not quite good enough? It has a 300 level challenge tower and easily a 10-12+ hour story mode besides the standard MK ladder. There's a TON of stuff to do in the game.[/QUOTE]
I said that it's not good enough, not that it doesn't have a lot of content. Just because a game has a thousand hours of gameplay, that doesn't mean you're going to want to play it for that long, you know? In the case of MK, I simply don't care about all of the extra stuff.

Now, I'm not saying it's a bad game...I just don't think it's worth going into debt over it, especially since I probably wouldn't play it for a couple of months anyway. If I had an extra $40 lying around, though, I probably would've given in.

EDIT: Just realized that starting tomorrow, MK will be on sale for $40. So, with my coupon, it'll be $30! Now that is a price I might be willing to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started playing this game earlier today and it feels like I've been playing for tons of hours when in reality it's only been about three and a half hours. o_o

[quote name='ZombieToast']I said that it's not good enough, not that it doesn't have a lot of content. Just because a game has a thousand hours of gameplay, that doesn't mean you're going to want to play it for that long, you know? In the case of MK, I simply don't care about all of the extra stuff.

Now, I'm not saying it's a bad game...I just don't think it's worth going into debt over it, especially since I probably wouldn't play it for a couple of months anyway. If I had an extra $40 lying around, though, I probably would've given in.

EDIT: Just realized that starting tomorrow, MK will be on sale for $40. So, with my coupon, it'll be $30! Now that is a price I might be willing to pay.[/QUOTE]
Learn how to flip games and then it seems like most games are 50% off, even if you're still paying MSRP for them.

Case in point, this past week Best Buy was giving $30 a copy for Kirby's Epic Yarn for Wii but selling it for $20. So if you had a $40 gc to BB, you could've bought 2 copies and made a $20 profit trading them back in.;)

Didn't mean to come off as harsh on my response, but since PSN is down I've been going through my backlog so a long game really matters to me right now.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Learn how to flip games and then it seems like most games are 50% off, even if you're still paying MSRP for them.
[/QUOTE]

For some reason, I can never justify trading in a game, unless you ultimately make a sizable profit from it. If you're buying a game for full price and flipping it for a lower one, it just doesn't make any sense, at least for me.

[quote name='HakaHina']For some reason, I can never justify trading in a game, unless you ultimately make a sizable profit from it. If you're buying a game for full price and flipping it for a lower one, it just doesn't make any sense, at least for me.[/QUOTE]
But that's the thing, you do sometimes make a decent profit on the trades. Although my definition of decent profit and yours may differ greatly.

But I was paying $1-3 for some games and getting $12-15 a copy for them by trading them elsewhere at one point. That type of profit level(200-300%+) is not typical, but as long as you're keeping an eye on prices of games versus trade-in values you can usually find some good opportunities.

I would NEVER pay MSRP for a game and then trade it in someplace a month later for half its value or less. If I buy a game for retail price, I'm usually using cheaply acquired credit on it and I typically keep those games.

But some folks just won't take that kind of time as it's 'not worth it' to them and that's fine.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Learn how to flip games and then it seems like most games are 50% off, even if you're still paying MSRP for them.[/quote]
The problem for me is that I usually don't have enough money to buy more than one copy of a game so I can take advantage of things like this. Sure, I could use my credit card, but that won't help much if I just get a gift card in return. I do it once in a while, but I usually end up having to spend my profits on baby food or diapers. Heh. But I was recently able to make a bit of money thanks to Toys R Us. They were selling the Pokémon Ranger games for $5 each, so I bought all of the copies they had (not many) and then traded them in for twice as much. Not a huge profit, but still not too shabby.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Didn't mean to come off as harsh on my response, but since PSN is down I've been going through my backlog so a long game really matters to me right now.;)[/QUOTE]
Nah, you weren't being harsh at all. Or at least it didn't seem like it to me. I just wanted to point out that I need more than longevity for a game to be worthwhile for me. If a game is really good, I won't need special challenges to make play for 300 hours. Also, I've got a ton of games in my backlog, so a long game isn't incentive for me right now anyway. Ha ha.

[quote name='ZombieToast']The problem for me is that I usually don't have enough money to buy more than one copy of a game so I can take advantage of things like this. Sure, I could use my credit card, but that won't help much if I just get a gift card in return. I do it once in a while, but I usually end up having to spend my profits on baby food or diapers. Heh. But I was recently able to make a bit of money thanks to Toys R Us. They were selling the Pokémon Ranger games for $5 each, so I bought all of the copies they had (not many) and then traded them in for twice as much. Not a huge profit, but still not too shabby.

Nah, you weren't being harsh at all. Or at least it didn't seem like it to me. I just wanted to point out that I need more than longevity for a game to be worthwhile for me. If a game is really good, I won't need special challenges to make play for 300 hours. Also, I've got a ton of games in my backlog, so a long game isn't incentive for me right now anyway. Ha ha.[/QUOTE]
I just ended up having to have Best Buy price match the TRU price for Guardian Signs last night because the local TRU was sold out. Lucky for me no one was picking up at TRU when BB called to check if they had it in stock. Unfortunately that made matching the TRU price for Vanquish impossible.:whistle2:#

As for the backlog, I'm definitely right there with you. I have over 10 games I need to finish right now and I keep procrastinating on them.

Oh, I wish I only had 10 games to worry about. I bought more games than that just this week (DS clearance sale at TRU). And I get a lot of free games for reviews, which just makes my backlog worse.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I said that it's not good enough, not that it doesn't have a lot of content. Just because a game has a thousand hours of gameplay, that doesn't mean you're going to want to play it for that long, you know? In the case of MK, I simply don't care about all of the extra stuff.

EDIT: Just realized that starting tomorrow, MK will be on sale for $40. So, with my coupon, it'll be $30! Now that is a price I might be willing to pay.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty funny, lol. You can't go wrong with Mortal Kombat though. I beat the story mode and I'm having a blast trying to learn the moves and the fatalities. Such a great game. I understand where you're coming from about not caring about the unlocks. I bought Tekken 6 a while back and I rarely play it. That's a story for another day though.

I agree MK is an awesome game. It's the only fighter I've really gotten into in this generation, although I've owned them all. The story mode makes it for me.

bread's done
Back