VC 2008 in Review - Hopes for Next Year!

M-PG71C

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I decided to go back and take a look at the VC in the past year, just to get an idea of what actually came out and what would be considered noteworthy releases.

NES (22 Games in 2008)

StarTropics
Adventures of Lolo 2
Operation Wolf
Ninja Gaiden III: The Anicent Ship of Doom
Spelunker
King's Knight
Bases Loaded
Yoshi's Cookie
River City Ramsom
Double Dragon
Renegade
Sky Kid
City Connection
Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (Import)
Dig Dug (Import)
Donkey Kong 3
Mega Man
Clu Clu Land
Mega Man 2
Super Dodge Ball
Mega Man 3
Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II

SNES (10 Games in 2008)

Pac-Attack
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
Harvest Moon
Super Turrican
DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure (Import)
Super R-Type
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Turrican 2
Secret of Mana
Space Invaders: The Original Game

Nintendo 64 (5 Games in 2008)

1080 Snowboarding
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Cruin'n USA
Pokemon Puzzle League
Mario Golf

Sega Master System (7 Games in 2008)

Wonder Boy
Fantasy Zone
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Sonic the Hedgehog
Space Harrier
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Enduro Racer

Sega Genesis (16 Games in 2008)

Columns III: Revenge of Columns
Phantasy Star II
Puyo Puyo 2 (Import)
Powerball
Mega Turrican
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Gley Lancer (Import)
Super Fantasy Zone (Import)
Splatterhouse 2
Vectorman
Shining Force II: Anicent Sealing
Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
Earthworm Jim
Forgotten Worlds
Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium

TG-16/CD (11 Games for 2008)

Riot Zone (CD)
Lords of Thunder (CD)
Psychosis
Chase H.Q.
Break In (Import)
Star Parodier (CD - Import)
Ys: Book I & II (CD)
Cho Aniki (CD - Import)
Final Soldier (Import)
Digital Champ Battle Boxing (Import)
Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (CD - Import)

Neo-Geo (12 Games for 2008)

The King of Fighters '94
Metal Slug
Ninja Combat
Samurai Shodown
Burning Fight
Fatal Fury 2
King of the Monsters
Ninja Commando
Art of Fighting 2
Neo Turf Masters
Samurai Shodown II
Metal Slug 2

In total, 83 games have been published on the Virtual Console this year. Some notable interests include a large amount of imports coming in, especially on the TG16. Neo-Geo received a large amount of its games during the Summer season, the SNES is starting to see more of its RPG library with the three notable releases this year. The Genesis has also brought its biggest RPG hits like Shining Force and Phantasy Star fully over.

The NES has been largely random this year but it did bring in the StarTropics series over along with cult hits like River City Ramsom and Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa.

There are some things I really want to see for next year though. I hope the TG16 continues to bring in more unique games onboard. I would love to see Ys III, Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes, Sapphire, and Dracula X make it Stateside. I hope the Master System continues to see regular releases because the system does kick ass and there are tons of gems to be found on the system. I hope for any and all N64 releases because it has always been the weakest of the bunch when it comes to seeing anything.

Finally, Square-Enix, please bring all of Quintet's RPGs on the SNES, we know you own the rights and license to Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Actraiser 2, and Terrainigma.

I got a decent amount of use from VC this year, between Ys Book 1 & 2, Super Mario RPG, Puyo Puyo 2 Tsuu, and others, and Secret of Mana is currently sitting around, waiting to be started up.

My only gripes about this year's selection are that I would've preferred the SNES Puyo Puyo 2 as opposed to the Genesis one, and that there have been too few games lately.

My wishlist for next year is a fairly short one:
- Disney games (just about any of them, but especially Aladdin for the Genesis)
- Front Mission: Gun Hazard and Bahamut Lagoon (both imports, and both somewhat unlikely... but I can dream, can't I?)
- Game Boy and Game Boy Color games (guessing these will be a part of the DSi's download service, tho')

- Tetrisphere and Beetle Adventure Racing for the N64 are both incredible games (might there be licensing issues with B.A.R.?)
- Aladdin for the Genesis is a classic. I'd like to see that one as well.
- Parodius series for the SNES
- How about Majora's Mask, Nintendo?

I would like GB/GBC games to be offered on the service, perhaps as a "send to your DS memory" system, for those of us completely "not interested" in the DSi.

The stuff I downloaded from the VC that was released this year:

[quote name='M-PG71C']
NES (22 Games in 2008)

River City Ransom
Mega Man
Mega Man 2

SNES (10 Games in 2008)

DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure (Import)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Secret of Mana

Sega Genesis (16 Games in 2008)

Phantasy Star II
Shining Force II: Anicent Sealing (Secret Santa)

Star Parodier (CD - Import)
Cho Aniki (CD - Import)
Final Soldier (Import) (Secret Santa)
[/quote]

Overall, it's been a pretty good year. Surce, one-game VC weeks suck, but regardless, good games came out on the service pretty much all year so it's good in my book.

As for hopes for next year: more RPGs and SNES stuffs. And maybe Snowboard Kids.

It's ashame. With close to 300 titles on the VC how many are "absolutely awesome"?
On that note, how many more "absolutely awesome" games AREN'T out yet?

My only favorite purchases so far have been Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, and Harvest Moon. Oh, look. All SNES games .. :roll: What EVER could this mean?!?! :roll:

Disney games are never going to happen, it would be a licensing nightmare, and Capcom has so many other games in their back library that they could release that paying a huge licensing fee for some of them isn't something they're likely to do.

I'm mostly interested in seeing some more obscure NES and SNES classics in the upcoming year. That, and Earthbound, but I think we all just need to accept the fact that someone very powerful within Nintendo of America has a huge grudge against the series or it's creator, and won't allow the games to come out here.

The only Virtual Console game I got in 2008 was DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure for the SNES.

Since I had every single NES game, SNES game, N64 game, and Genesis game released for the system in 2008, obviously I'm hoping for more imports.

My hopes are for Super Mario Picross, Wrecking Crew 98, and maybe BS Zelda if we're lucky.

[quote name='pete5883']I'm stunned they haven't done Earthbound yet.[/quote]
NoA hates the Mother series. Simple as that. It was kinda obvious when they pulled it from the playable demos on Brawl when releasing it into the US.

[quote name='spmahn']Disney games are never going to happen, it would be a licensing nightmare, and Capcom has so many other games in their back library that they could release that paying a huge licensing fee for some of them isn't something they're likely to do.[/QUOTE]
Funnily enough, the Disney games I want the most aren't the Capcom ones. The Genesis Aladdin was done by Sega and Virgin Interactive, for instance.

Besides, if Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles can show up on VC, I don't see why, say, Castle of Illusion can't. Maybe Disney could use their old games to help market Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days or some such.

VC games that came out this year that I've picked up:
- Adventures of Lolo 2
- Harvest Moon
- Super Mario RPG
- Secret of Mana (haven't played yet)
- Kirby 64
- Puyo Puyo 2 Tsuu
- Ys Book I & II

[quote name='blueshinra']Besides, if Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles can show up on VC, I don't see why, say, Castle of Illusion can't.[/quote]
Simple. The game came out around the time the CGI movie was out in theaters. And Disney's licenses are far different from that of the TMNT.

[quote name='Tsukento']Simple. The game came out around the time the CGI movie was out in theaters. And Disney's licenses are far different from that of the TMNT.[/QUOTE]

Well aware of the marketing angle. Read again what I said next:
[quote name='blueshinra']Maybe Disney could use their old games to help market Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days or some such.[/QUOTE]

As for the licenses, won't delve into that in any great detail, but I will throw out the fact that Disney has developed and/or published several console games themselves. There's little to stop them from releasing those.

Anyway, I don't mean to get into an argument :roll: :roll: :roll: There's a reason why these things are called "wish lists", and besides, I'd like the Japan-only Squaresoft games I mentioned way more.

Has the original Contra been released?

Here's my wish list for 2009:

- Pro Wrestling (NES)
- Beetle Adventure Racing (N64)

Seeing as that's the exact same wish list I had for 2008, I am not holding out much hope. Instead, we'll see more TG-16 shooters. YAY!

RD

PS - And I LIKE shooters...but enough already!

I guess I only bought these:

NES (22 Games in 2008)
River City Ransom

Lords of Thunder (CD)

I bought a LOT in 2007, but now my Wii is full :whistle2:(

Still I hope they add:
Y's IV (Import)
Y's III
Earthbound
Illusion of Gaia
Super Mario All-Stars
StarFox

Still waiting for this one. I understand that it was released last October in Europe and Australia. Why is it taking so long to release it on the U.S. VC? I will not download another game on VC until this game is released.

Games I'd like to see released for VC:

NES
- Battletoads
- Metal Storm
- Dragon Quest I-III

SNES
- Earthbound (yeah, yeah)
- TMNT Tournament Fighters (SNES version)
- Starfox
- Battletoads/Double Dragon

N64
- Jet Force Gemini (I know it'll never happen but still)
- Ogre Battle 64
- WWF No Mercy

Genesis
- Greendog
- Revenge of Shinobi

NeoGeo
- Blazing Star
- Waku Waku 7
- Mark of the Wolves

A lot of those are a longshot, but a guy can dream.

[quote name='geotech']Still waiting for this one{Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse}. I understand that it was released last October in Europe and Australia. Why is it taking so long to release it on the U.S. VC? I will not download another game on VC until this game is released.[/QUOTE]

Seems you got your wish!

I'm really hoping that this year Nintendo will release some Sega CD games, or even some Sega 32x games (well, just Knuckles Chaotix really). Also, considering that soon we will be able to play from SD Cards, or everybody says, I'm hoping that maybe they could also release some Saturn Games...

As for the current consoles available on VC, I actually don't want anything else. I might be surprised by some obscure game or maybe some imports, but I already have most of the games that I care about, and still have a few games to get (mostly some RPGs, which I'm not even sure I'll play, so...).

To tell the truth, I have more hopes for WiiWare than for VC.

I should also add:

N64 - Rocket: Robot on Wheels

This was the sleeper that put Sucker Punch on the map. They've since gone on to "greater things", but Rocket was a cute little platformer with a nice physics engine and evil clowns. Also, no pesky licenses. Great jazzy soundtrack, too.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']
My hopes are for Super Mario Picross, Wrecking Crew 98, and maybe BS Zelda if we're lucky.[/QUOTE]

I've got a copy of Super Mario Picross and I just tracked down a minty Wrecking Crew 98 today. :D
Still, I'd love to see em on VC too!

My other hopefuls are:

SNES:
Soul Blazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma (FULL ENGLISH Euro version)
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
Power Soukouban (IMPORT - awesome Zelda-style puzzle game with great graphics, gameplay, and music!)
Knuckles Chaotix (the ONLY Sonic game besides Sonic 2006 not playable on a Nintendo console! COME ON SEGA!)
E.V.O. Search for Eden
Earthbound
Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues
Killer Instinct (probly not gonna happen...)

GENESIS:
Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition
Pulseman (IMPORT - made by GameFreak, the makers of Pokemon! I can't find a copy here in Japan. ARGH!)

N64:
Excitebike 64 (Never got to play it..)

bread's done
Back