VC games, do you play them in 4:3 or stretched to 16:9

seanr1221

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Just a fun poll to see what people around here do. Personally, I stretch it to fit 16:9. Some games it's not bad at all (Punch-out) but with others it gets kind of pixely (Castlevania).

Also, maybe I'm crazy, but I remember some pics being shown off of VC games before the Wii launched with very simple borders (simple as in 1 color) around them

[quote name='seanr1221']Just a fun poll to see what people around here do. Personally, I stretch it to fit 16:9. Some games it's not bad at all (Punch-out) but with others it gets kind of pixely (Castlevania).

Also, maybe I'm crazy, but I remember some pics being shown off of VC games before the Wii launched with very simple borders (simple as in 1 color) around them[/QUOTE]

16:9

Too much effort to reconfigure... SC 4 still looks good.

[quote name='Roufuss']16:9

Too much effort to reconfigure... SC 4 still looks good.[/quote]Yup. Even on games where I'm very familiar with its appearance, there's hardly any thing that give it away that it's stretched out. Helped by the fact that it doesn't go all the way to the edges of the screen.

In the end I'll take slight distortion over playing with 2/3 of my TV even if it was easy to switch. Being that it's not, 16:9 FTW!

The only VC game I have is Star Fox 64 and I play it stretched to 16x9. I did play it in 4x3 for a little while, but it looks almost exactly the same as 16x9, and I'm too lazy to change the screen mode every time I play.

4:3... it's not even a consideration. Stuff looks like shit when it's stretched out and some games that require precision jumping just feel... kinda fucked up when the game is stretched. Fighting games in particular would be difficult to play with the artificial 16:9.

4:3 on my monitor but only because my monitor has a learning feature.

For instance, my Wii is set to 16:9 and it displays it accordingly. But whenever I start up a VC game, I manually set it to 4:3 (on my monitor) for the first few times and after that, my monitor does it for me automatically.

Otherwise, I'd be saying 16:9.

Now thats cool vinny...I wish the games would just put up a border around them to prevent manually changing things to 4:3. That's the biggest reason I leave mine stretched.

16:9, it doesnt bother me and it looks fine for all the games ive played. i havent had any trouble with platformers at all. its not that i wouldnt mind playing in 4:3, but unlike my directv, the wii doesnt display it that way automatically, and id rather not go through the effort of switching it everytime i boot up a vc game, and then change it back when im done.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']4:3, I like to play games the way they were intended in res and aspect ratio.[/quote]

Same here.

16x9, looks great to me for the games I've played(SMB, TLoZALTTP, SFII, SM64). I can't stand playing in a little black box unless the game looks really bad.

[quote name='Chacrana']4:3... it's not even a consideration. Stuff looks like shit when it's stretched out and some games that require precision jumping just feel... kinda fucked up when the game is stretched. Fighting games in particular would be difficult to play with the artificial 16:9.[/quote]What? Have you tried the VC games at 16:9? The whole of Super Mario Bros. feels exactly the way it did on the NES even with it modified slightly to more-or-less fill the screen. There's no change in the jumps or any other wonkiness.

I believe 99% of people who manually switch back because they can't stand it stretched have psychosomatic issues. Unless you had them side-by-side, you couldn't tell a difference.

[quote name='daroga']What? Have you tried the VC games at 16:9? The whole of Super Mario Bros. feels exactly the way it did on the NES even with it modified slightly to more-or-less fill the screen. There's no change in the jumps or any other wonkiness.

I believe 99% of people who manually switch back because they can't stand it stretched have psychosomatic issues. Unless you had them side-by-side, you couldn't tell a difference.[/QUOTE]

I've played through all of Super Castlevania IV at 16:9 and I never once had a problem hitting any of the jumps in that game.

Same with any of the Mario games.

Like others have said, I'd rather stick with 16:9 as it's a pain in the ass to switch to 4:3 for one game when 16:9 doesn't even look that bad.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Ewww! How could you stretch it like that???? That's just sick and wrong.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the GBA can do that with the old GB games, but the steching makes all the games look bad.

[quote name='Roufuss']I've played through all of Super Castlevania IV at 16:9 and I never once had a problem hitting any of the jumps in that game.

Same with any of the Mario games.

Like others have said, I'd rather stick with 16:9 as it's a pain in the ass to switch to 4:3 for one game when 16:9 doesn't even look that bad.[/QUOTE]

Castlevania was the one I had an issue with. I dunno, it just feels... weird.

Anyway, maybe I just don't mind switching between 16:9 and 4:3 because my TV is set to always display the Wii in 4:3 (since almost nothing is 16:9) and I can change to 16:9 by pressing one button.

Since I play on a 4:3 TV, I guess I'd say 4:3.

I had it on a widescreen TV once, and it seriously irritated the hell out of me.

I play in 4:3 because it seriously does bother me. Some games look better than others, but I can't stand it either way.

It's not a pain in the ass to switch to either, just one button on my remote.

[quote name='David85']I agree, the GBA can do that with the old GB games, but the steching makes all the games look bad.[/quote]The GBA isn't nearly as kind to GB games as HD TV sets and Wii are to the VC games. If the VC games looked like "full screen" GB games on the GBA, I'd never play them in 16:9.

In reality, though, there's nary a difference for the VC games.

I had zero issues with Castlevania in 16:9.

Like everyone else, they look and play fine and changing it to 4:3 is a hassle.

What steps do you guys have to take to make the screen back to 4x3 that make it a hassle?

On my TV, it's just 1 button with the remote.
Just curious.

[quote name='dallow']What steps do you guys have to take to make the screen back to 4x3 that make it a hassle?

Just curious.[/QUOTE]

Same with mine. They have warped their brains to accept king hippo way fatter than he really is!!!

[quote name='dallow']What steps do you guys have to take to make the screen back to 4x3 that make it a hassle?

Just curious.[/quote]At least for my TV, when a 4:3 input is incoming, I can do a few thing to it to make it closer to 16:9 (raw stretch, zoom, or a good combo of the two that doesn't leave any too distorted). But, when I've got a 16:9 image, I can't just force it into 4:3. So if I wanted to play them in 4:3, I'd have to go into the Wii settings and change it.

I don't think I've ever seen a TV that will squish a 16:9 into a 4:3 (since most people want to use their widescreen on even non-widescreen thing, whereas forcing widescreen content into an un-letterboxed 4:3 doesn't seem like too popular of a request). Never mind the fact that as the Wii does some tricks to make 16:9 look good, forcing THAT image into 4:3 is gonna compound any problems that were there.

[quote name='daroga']At least for my TV, when a 4:3 input is incoming, I can do a few thing to it to make it closer to 16:9 (raw stretch, zoom, or a good combo of the two that doesn't leave any too distorted). But, when I've got a 16:9 image, I can't just force it into 4:3. So if I wanted to play them in 4:3, I'd have to go into the Wii settings and change it.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly. When my TV is receiving a 16:9 signal it won't let me change it. I'd have to go into the Wii settings every time as well. If the signal pushed to the set is 4:3 then I can zoom/stretch to my hearts content, but for some reason not with the 16:9 signal.

My HD set is about 4 years old though. Could be a factor.

Also, like I said, the games I have, Castlevania, Bomberman & Kid Icarus all look fine 16:9 and have had zero issues with platforming aspects because of the stretch. If there was any platformer to test such a problem, Kid Icarus would be it. I beat that with no problems.

But, when I've got a 16:9 image
When my TV is receiving a 16:9 signal it won't let me change it.

Hmm.

But the Wii isn't sending out a true widescreen signal. Like many DVDs, it's an anamorphic picture.
You have to change the TV to fullscreen to get the non-distorted picture after changing the Wii settings to 'wide'.

So are you saying that if the Wii is in 'wide' mode, that the VC games are stretched somehow as well?
It doesn't look like it to me, it looks like a forced 'wide' picture and when I put the TV back into 'aspect', I get the regular looking VC game.
When I go back to the Wii menu, I hit 'fullscreen' again.
I really don't think these VC games are given any sort of 'wide treatment'. It's stretched by default because we have our TVs in full screen mode.

I switch it back to 4:3 for the same reason I have to switch it back to 4:3 for most GC games, and those Wii titles that don't support a 'wide' mode as well. (which is ridiculous, Wii titles should be 480p and anamorphic by default)

Until the Wii can output a 720p picture, we wont' have a true 16:9 image.
(and like your TVs, I can't mess with a picture that is outputting a true 16:9 picture)

My TV sees it as a 16:9 image I do believe. I can double check that though this afternoon. Your post has me wondering again. I'll play with it and report back.;)

Basically, since the Wii doesn't output at 720p, it's not real widescreen, just a stretched 480p picture.

Hehe, but yeah, please report back!

[quote name='dallow']Basically, since the Wii doesn't output at 720p, it's not real widescreen, just a stretched 480p picture.

Hehe, but yeah, please report back![/quote]True, it kinda just elongates the pixels, but I was pretty sure that it was still telling my TV via component that it was widescreen. I'll have to see though!

[quote name='dallow']Hmm.

But the Wii isn't sending out a true widescreen signal. Like many DVDs, it's an anamorphic picture.
You have to change the TV to fullscreen to get the non-distorted picture after changing the Wii settings to 'wide'.

So are you saying that if the Wii is in 'wide' mode, that the VC games are stretched somehow as well?
It doesn't look like it to me, it looks like a forced 'wide' picture and when I put the TV back into 'aspect', I get the regular looking VC game.
When I go back to the Wii menu, I hit 'fullscreen' again.
I really don't think these VC games are given any sort of 'wide treatment'. It's stretched by default because we have our TVs in full screen mode.

I switch it back to 4:3 for the same reason I have to switch it back to 4:3 for most GC games, and those Wii titles that don't support a 'wide' mode as well. (which is ridiculous, Wii titles should be 480p and anamorphic by default)

Until the Wii can output a 720p picture, we wont' have a true 16:9 image.
(and like your TVs, I can't mess with a picture that is outputting a true 16:9 picture)[/QUOTE]

This was exactly my thought. With my upconverting DVD player, I can't change the aspect ratio, but it doesn't matter because 4:3 material and 16:9 material are both displayed properly automatically.

My TV is always left in 4:3 mode because we still watch a lot of SD stuff. If I know I'm going to be playing a VC game I leave it alone.

I can't imagine playing 4:3 material stretched, but it seems like we're already getting the "but I want the picture to fill my TV!" attitude with HDTVs that all the "smart" people were mocking when OAR was first entering public consciousness. It's pretty hilarious, actually.

well, whatdoyaknow. I must have never played around with the settings on the TV once I got the Wii. I set it to 16:9 and jsut left it there.

So, yes, change to 4:3 is as easy as pusing a button on the TV. That being said, even with a pretty easily-done and quickly-done comparison, the stretching of the image on the VC games isn't that degrading. I think in large part that's thanks to the image not going all the way to the edge of the TV (I've got an inch or so of blank space on each side of my 32").

I'm still not convinced that I'd be able to tell just by looking at a picture of a sprite in isolation that it was stretched. And for me, the adjustment to such a look takes all of 6 seconds.

If you really want to feel like you're on drugs, though, see if your TV has a "Panorama" mode or something comparable. This mode will, instead of stretching or stretching / zooming, will actually stretch only the edges adn leave the principle "real estate" at the center of the screen in its proper ratio. Playing a side-scroller like SMB that way is really, really messed up. ;)

Yeah, it depends on the game too.
Some look terrible stretched, and some you hardly notice.

So a few games I'll let my sister "fill up the screen", but there are others where I can't stand it and force her to set it to the correct aspect ratio. :)

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, it depends on the game too.

So a few games I'll let my sister "fill up the screen", but there are others where I can't stand it and force her to set it to the correct aspect ratio. :)[/quote]As any good brother would ;)

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, it depends on the game too.

So a few games I'll let my sister "fill up the screen", but there are others where I can't stand it and force her to set it to the correct aspect ratio. :)[/QUOTE]

And what games are those?

[quote name='SMMM']And what games are those?[/quote]
She mostly plays GC games, so pretty much all of them.
I refuse to let her play Animal Crossing stretched. It looks disgusting.

She can however play Trauma Center Wii stretched, because it doesn't look that bad.
Etc etc.

[quote name='dallow']She mostly plays GC games, so pretty much all of them.
I refuse to let her play Animal Crossing stretched. It looks disgusting.

She can however play Trauma Center Wii stretched, because it doesn't look that bad.
Etc etc.[/QUOTE]

ah, GC games I can understand.

bread's done
Back