VENEZUELA to ban videogames. Read ONLY IF YOU CARE and voice your opinions.

TheBigmac

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
As some of you may have heard, Venezuela has passed a law against violent videogames and toy weapons. The worst part, and most of you may not know this, is that Venezuela is not banning violent or rated M games only. They're banning ALL VIDEOGAMES. The whole violence thing is just the segway the used to come up with the law. Once they took the law to the Venezuelan Congress where it was approved they made sure to draft it in such an ambiguous way, that at its present form it outlaws pretty much all videogames and makes criminals of those who trade or sell anything pertaining to this industry.

They're even setting aside government funding to run mandatory campaigns on the media and in the schools where they demonize videogames. (All this while Caracas' hospitals crumble because of the lack of funds)

My friend Emgel Solid who is also a member of this forum is attempting - along with a brave group of Venezuelan gamers - to convince those politicians who drafted the law to change the wording of the text to make it a regulatory system just like the one in the U.S.

Unfortunately, none of those politicians are gamers. And when corrupt officials vote on an issue that does not affect them, is pretty easy to make all parties agree if the only affected ones are a group of outcast who nobody gives a rat's ass about.

My solidarity goes to all my Venezuelan friends who live under the rule of a tyrant bent on taking Venezuela back to the middle ages.

Something like this would never happen in America. If you live in a country where a guy like Bill Maher can go on live TV every Friday night and call President Bush (back in the day) a retard, and he doesn't lose his show, his freedom or his life afterwards, you know you're in a place where your basic liberties are untouchable.

Venezuelan TV network "Radio Caracas" didn't even go as far as Maher dares to go here in America against the president. They just 'dared" to show on TV stuff from the day to day basis Chavez didn't want Venezuelan's to see. Chavez shut the TV station down about 4 years ago. No questions asked.

Next in line is Venezuelan TV network "Globovision", were they also "dare" to show the kind of stuff that Chavez isn't proud of. The Network's C.E.O private residence enclaved in an exclusive Caracas neighborhood, has already been raided by Venezuelan national guard more than once. And he just has to shut up and take it.

Can you imagine what would have happened if back in the day George Bush would have ordered the Army to raid Bill Maher's California mansion for calling him a retard on TV? Even the right wingers would have gone. "Mmmmmmm........... I think you've gone too far". Or even better, can you imagine what would happen if Obama ordered the army to raid Rush Limbaugh's home? Glenn Beck's head would explode and Obama would be impeached in a nanosecond!
But in Venezuela? It's all fair game baby!

Now next in line are video games and unless a miracle happens, I would say some very unfortunate Venezuelans along with my friend Emgel Solid will have to settle for a pre-order of "Barbie Horse Adventures: Riding Camp" for the PS3, to curb their Modern Warfare 2 cravings. (that's of course if Venezuelan regulatory authorities don't manage to come up with a zoophilia innuendo infused argument. Then it's all downhill for Barbie. Yes, and the horse she rode in on)

And here I am making a big deal because PS3 firmware update 3.0 makes my PS3 look totally, ruined functionality and changed my splash screen for some fairy dust infused logo B.S.. while robbing me of my beloved Spiderman font.

I need to get my priorities straight. At least I get to play whatever I want!

Like the forefathers intended.

LoL I like the "Read only if you care" in the title because you'd anticipate comments like "I don't live in South America so I don't care" as if that's a productive comment.

Interesting bit of news. I don't know how large the gaming community is in Venezuela, but I can imagine a decent black market popping up.

bread's done
Back