Verizon to kill off unlimited data plans for existing customers

so I ran the stupid calculator program they provided
I don't like how it starts off between 0-1500 mins, 2000 txt messages and 0-2gb.
I don't get close to 450 nor do I hit 250 and I usually top 1.5-1.8 using netflix (maybe once or twice a month) and now they want to charge me 100 bucks!

fuck this.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I see Verizon losing customers left and right. lol. To those people... AVOID Sprint.

Oh and Straight Talk FTMFW![/QUOTE]

Sprint uses most of Verizon's towers for roaming when you don't get a Sprint signal and happen to be one of the cheapest major carriers. Just because it doesn't work at your house doesn't mean = avoid

I have had sprint for years without a problem. I pay 110 bucks a month for a iphone and a dumbphone (for the wife but she is hassling me to upgrade her phone booo) and never had a problem.

Coverage is just totally going to vary by where you live, how often you travel and where you travel to.

I'm not a fan of a lot of what Verizon does, but their coverage has been top notch for me everywhere I've gone. I've never not had coverage when a friend with another carrier did that I can recall--but there's been lots of time I had signal and friends didn't. Plus, most my friends and family are with them, so I benefit from the in-network calling.

So I don't plan on leaving as other than price I have no gripes, and thankfully I do well enough for myself to be able to pay more for that luxury.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't plan on looking elsewhere, either. I've had excellent customer service and coverage with Verizon, absolutely no problem in the 4-5 years or more I think I've been with them.

[quote name='BigPopov']Sprint uses most of Verizon's towers for roaming when you don't get a Sprint signal and happen to be one of the cheapest major carriers. Just because it doesn't work at your house doesn't mean = avoid[/QUOTE]

Nice try, it wasn't just my house and yeah it being "cheap" was the only reason keeping me around. Also, I had verizon before sprint and while reception was a little better having to fork over an arm and a leg while getting rapped wasn't fun... I'm floored how much better ST is everywhere yet I'm playing LESS than any other major network. Oh... and no stupid 2 yr contract or etf...

[quote name='VipFREAK']I'm floored how much better ST is everywhere yet I'm playing LESS than any other major network. Oh... and no stupid 2 yr contract or etf...[/QUOTE]

I'm also using ST. Sure it's not truly unlimited but I'm under 2GB every month so for me it's been a perfect. Like you said it's way cheaper, works pretty much everywhere, and can leave any time without penalty.

I've heard people getting calls for doing some pretty normal stuff like streaming radio or browsing the net. (if it's excessive sure, but it didn't sound like it in those cases) I'm not really worried about unlimited though since I usually am on Wifi for data more anyway. I suppose if anything it would be txting.

Yeah it really was a no brainer for me. I just hope they don't go an end it any time soon just because I jumped on and they realized they could get more out of their customers. With that said lets hope they don't go raising prices too... ugh...

the problem is "jumping carriers" will not solve the problem. You will face tougher restrictions and poorer service with the new carrier as well. I really can't believe we have almost reached the peak of the spectrum faster than we have with oil.

[quote name='ITDEFX']the problem is "jumping carriers" will not solve the problem. You will face tougher restrictions and poorer service with the new carrier as well. I really can't believe we have almost reached the peak of the spectrum faster than we have with oil.[/QUOTE]

meanwhile Europe and Japan look at our cellphones/broadband and laugh and laugh

One thing that not hardly any opinions or articles have touched on is that this will cost you alot more per month if you have older family members on your plan. I have 4 people on a share plan but I have no kids so it's my parents, 1 aunt and 1 grandparent all of whom are over 60. So here's my breakdown:

Old plan:
1400 Minutes - 110 (it's usually always under 1200 to be honest)
Unlimited text - 15
Unlimited data - 30 (only on my line, others have "dumb" phones only)
4 extra basic lines - 40
I just dripped mobile hot spot in May so - 0
Total = $195

New plan:
1 smart phone - 40
4 basic phones - 120
2gb data - 60
Total = $220

New plan means $25 more per month, and I lose unlimited data and only gain unlimited minutes, which I don't need and probably use data & text much more than minutes on a daily basis. Granted it's only $25 more, but here's food for thought: the price difference between a new subsidized iphone & unsubsidized is $450 usually. Divide that by 24 months equals $18.75 per month. That's $7 cheaper than being herded into this "amazing simple & affordable new plan" by Verizon.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']One thing that not hardly any opinions or articles have touched on is that this will cost you alot more per month if you have older family members on your plan. I have 4 people on a share plan but I have no kids so it's my parents, 1 aunt and 1 grandparent all of whom are over 60. So here's my breakdown:

Old plan:
1400 Minutes - 110 (it's usually always under 1200 to be honest)
Unlimited text - 15
Unlimited data - 30 (only on my line, others have "dumb" phones only)
4 extra basic lines - 40
I just dripped mobile hot spot in May so - 0
Total = $195

New plan:
1 smart phone - 40
4 basic phones - 120
2gb data - 60
Total = $220

New plan means $25 more per month, and I lose unlimited data and only gain unlimited minutes, which I don't need and probably use data & text much more than minutes on a daily basis. Granted it's only $25 more, but here's food for thought: the price difference between a new subsidized iphone & unsubsidized is $450 usually. Divide that by 24 months equals $18.75 per month. That's $7 cheaper than being herded into this "amazing simple & affordable new plan" by Verizon.[/QUOTE]

Totally right. Instead of the typical 9.99 a month for add a lines ( 3rd, 4th, 5th lines ) now will be 30.00 to add on a line. I'm in the same boat. If I go over to this plan ill have to pay more.

Looks like i'll have to upgrade early, someone stole my iPhone 4 tonight :whistle2:s Just went to Arby's to get a quick refill, came back, it was gone :whistle2:s Not to mention, the nifty case I got for it, that almost hurts more then losing the actual phone.

What all this comes down to is corporate greed. Just another way to seperate more money from us while giving us less and less. I won't be moving off my Droid RAZR or my beautiful grandfathered unlimited data for a long time Verizon. The day they take that away from me I'm done with them. $30 for unlimited is already costly enough as is. They think people will pay $30 for 2 gigs of data and think that's a good deal? Pathetic.

Well people think.."I will just keep my old phone forever!!" as a solution to this situation. Hate to break it to you, but people drop their phones, get it wet, have a battery that won't hold much of a charge any more or have difficulty getting replacement parts. Also when the company abandons support for the device (droid charge :( ) in favor of another device, you kinda feel left out.

bread's done
Back