Vertical or Horizontal?

RiCeBo1

CAGiversary!
How do you guys place your PS3? Vertical looks so sexy, but at the same time I hear it's bad for the PS3 (please prove this statement wrong so I can go vertical). So what's the final say? Let the voting begin!

I was first going to place the PS3 horizontal but then I rearranged my entertainment center and was able to set it up vertical.

I like vertical better, to me it seems like it'd be better for the PS3 as there are vents at the top of the console that exhaust quite a bit of heat, if you had it horizontal than most likely that hot air would be blowing against the side of the cabinet (at least in my case). I like it vertical because now there is room on all sides of the PS3 to get some air. It seems like overheating is the most prominent cause of hardware failure in these new consoles so I'm trying my best to avoid that.

Definitely Horizontal. Even my Wii is horizontal. I never saw the appeal in having your console standing in a precarious position.

Vertical for better cooling. I actually have an open horizontal space in my entertainment center now that my ps2 has been retired but vertical my ps3 shall be.

[quote name='Nibi']Definitely Horizontal. Even my Wii is horizontal. I never saw the appeal in having your console standing in a precarious position.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got my Wii, 360, and PS3 all horizontal as well. I've heard that vertical standings can wear out the drive faster (since gravity constantly wants to pull the disc down - and it will be pulling on side of the disc instead of the larger even flat area in a horizontal positioned system) and possibly damage your system if it is bumped while it is on and a disc is spinning. The only exception in a system that locks the disc in like the slim PS2.

Horizontal on my main TV, vertical would block part of the screen.
On my downstairs TV, vertical for what I think is better cooling.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']please prove this statement wrong so I can go vertical[/quote]

That's what she said.

mine is horizontal simply because it won't fit otherwise.

[quote name='force_assassin']I've heard that vertical standings can wear out the drive faster (since gravity constantly wants to pull the disc down - and it will be pulling on side of the disc instead of the larger even flat area in a horizontal positioned system)...[/quote]From my basic understanding of physical mechanics and the assumption that media discs these days are fairly uniform, I'm not sure I'm buying that. That claim might have something to do with how the drive laser moves, but I'm just speculating, here.

[quote name='force_assassin']...and possibly damage your system if it is bumped while it is on and a disc is spinning.[/quote]That is absolutely true, but I don't know if it is more of a problem when the system is vertical rather than horizontal.

That said, my Wii, 360, and PS3 are all presently horizontal for safety reasons. They all seem to get enough air flow, so I probably won't be going vertical anytime soon. Probably the only one I'd consider placing vertically is the PS3, since that thing is pretty huge.

If you wanted to go vertical with your PS3, I can't imagine why it would be a problem.

I used to have my PS3 verticle on some occassions, but I was worried that someone might knock it over so I've let it remain Horizontal. Less chance of it being knocked over.

Before I moved my PS3 sat vertical because there was no more for anything but going up. But now that I have room it's horizontal, because it was vertical you could see the 'foot' and it wouldn't as look as sexy

Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical VerticalVertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical VerticalVertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical Vertical

1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ 1ɐɔıʇɹǝʌ

Vertical is bad? : shrugs:

dscn0301tc8.jpg

1 of each. The stand for the main TV is too short for it to have enough air to vent vertically. The one in the bedroom has to stand up or I have a feeling my cat would be laying on it all the time (scratch marks + extra heat)

I used to have it vertical, but now I have it horizontal. Just because it is set up nicely in my room that way, and isn't in the way of anything.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Vertical is bad? : shrugs:

dscn0301tc8.jpg
[/quote]

You should get that off the rug before it starts a fire.:hot:

[quote name='ighosty']You should get that off the rug before it starts a fire.:hot:[/quote]

Hasn't yet and that's what the fan is for. xD

Horizontal... Vertical is cool though, the gunmetal PS3 meant to be "displayed" vertically. Too bad, it's too tall vertically for me :(

I used to have mine setup horizontal in my old apartment, since I have moved into my new house and have not setup the game room yet it currently stands vertical in my bedroom.

When I still had mine it was vertical 100% of the time. When I buy another I'm going to import a ceramic which will have the smaller chip die and the newer heatsink so it's going to go horizontal.

Horizontal. If I'm drunk and start bumping into my stand, flailing my arms, I know my PS3 won't be tipped over.

I had mine vertical for awhile, but now it's horizontal. No big reason besides I put it in a new place and there isn't room to put it vertical.

Vertical for me. It sits on top of my corner entertainment center. My Wii is also Vertical, but I have moved my 360 to the horizontal position because vertical was blocking the vent on the bottom of it.

I have my horizontal on the bottom shelf of a open entertainment stand. After living in California for so long, I can't have anything that's in a position to fall. I'd hate to have a drunk relative knock it over. I'd know I'd never get the money to replace it.

i have my ps3 360 and wii vertical, but i need the room for my hddvd player, my gamecube, dreamcast, snes, genesis, ps2, and nes. im a sad person to have that many consoles hooked up at once, but i do play them all from time to time.

Is veritcal that bad for your disc tray? I mean the Wii is vertical...and that plays fine...is it just a myth?

Ok...I dunno if it's just me or whatnot but after putting my PS3 vertical with a wired connection, downloads seem a lot faster! Seems like I can get 1 MB in a matter of every 1.5 secs which is awesome! When I used horizontal with wired connection, it would take me about 5-10 secs to get 1 MB. If only I used vertical when downloading the NCAA 09 demo, maybe it wouldn't have took 2.5 hours!

[quote name='yukine']Just your imagination. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well shit...its faster to me so I'm keeping it that way lol. Also the wire doesn't have to reach as far when it's vertical which is a good thing too.

bread's done
Back