Very Sad Ending in San Diego (Chelsea King)

BigT

CAGiversary!
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-poway-missing,0,5645458.story

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20348125,00.html

Time to say a prayer and shed a tear for Chelsea King, a 17 year old girl who was attacked and murdered in SoCal.

It is almost beyond my comprehension as to how some people can be so cruel... imparting such harm onto others. And for what? How could harming another be pleasurable? It is simply sickening...

Let's hope that the man who did this dies painful, protracted, and lonely death only to spend eternity in bottomless perdition, filled with constant internal and external torment.

[quote name='speedracer']Am I racist for not looking and assuming we're talking about a white person?[/QUOTE]

and hot and young and female and smart.

young black males are the most likely victims of abduction in the US by a wide margin. hands up, who's truly shocked by that?

this story is no less sad then any abduction is, but the bias in who gets media attention as a disappearance victim makes me sick to my stomach.

Hey guys, black history month is over, it's time to focus on more important things like this epidemic of murdered young white women.

[quote name='mykevermin']and hot and young and female and smart.

young black males are the most likely victims of abduction in the US by a wide margin. hands up, who's truly shocked by that?

this story is no less sad then any abduction is, but the bias in who gets media attention as a disappearance victim makes me sick to my stomach.[/QUOTE]

Can't you focus on important things?

A random, pretty, white girl was killed five states over. As the father of a random, pretty, white girl, I'm so upset now that I don't know how I'll work today.

FWIW, those photos are Multnomah County, OR (Portland), and not SoCal.

Not enough teeth in those photos. Yeah, weight loss is there, and so are open sores. But the tooth decay from smoking meth is sickening. If interested, google image "meth mouth." It ain't pretty.

You know it used to be that country folk had no teeth because they never went to the dentist, now its because they're using too much of their own product. Most of the big meth busts around here happen in rural areas.

[quote name='speedracer']Am I racist for not looking and assuming we're talking about a white person?[/QUOTE]
Yes. Yes, you are.

And I am a fucking horrible person for immediately thinking of this.

I mean... absolutely horrible. Seriously. That's just in bad taste on my part.

[quote name='javeryh']Wow - check out the Faces of Meth which is linked from one of the posts above. Pretty wild!![/QUOTE]

5 -> 6 "I'm mildly discouraged."

29 -> 30 "SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

[quote name='depascal22']You're shocked and saddened that she lost her life but you gleefully campaigned for the misery of gay people. I'm confused.[/QUOTE]

Unless you're white, male and straight, you don't count.

Don't blame me. It's in the Constitution.

[quote name='mykevermin']and hot and young and female and smart.

this story is no less sad then any abduction is, but the bias in who gets media attention as a disappearance victim makes me sick to my stomach.[/QUOTE]

What's the percentage of those young black males who are involved in criminal activity themselves?

they're abduction victims, dude. how is that relevant?

more to the point, we're talking about kids under 13.

where do you get off bringing criminality into it because it's more likely to happen to black kids?

An innocent woman was killed and they found DNA from a local convicted sex offender, does it matter what his race was, ps the article didn't say it though I skimmed a few parts, if he is guilty then scum like this should not be given another chance to be free and destory another life, white or black.

[quote name='jputahraptor']An innocent woman was killed and they found DNA from a local convicted sex offender, does it matter what his race was, ps the article didn't say it though I skimmed a few parts, if he is guilty then scum like this should not be given another chance to be free and destory another life, white or black.[/QUOTE]

Was anybody suggesting her murderer shouldn't be spend the rest of his life in prison or put to death?

Yeah, no one said that. The discussion just drifted as otherwise a crime story doesn't have much place in the Politics forum unless you put some angle on it beyond the tragedy of the crime and what should happen to the offender.

Thus the spin that got put on it was how the only Abduction stories the media plays up are for white women, when young, black males are the most abducted as Myke pointed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, no one said that. The discussion just drifted as otherwise a crime story doesn't have much place in the Politics forum unless you put some angle on it beyond the tragedy of the crime and what should happen to the offender.

Thus the spin that got put on it was how the only Abduction stories the media plays up are for white women, when young, black males are the most abducted as Myke pointed out.[/QUOTE]

The biggest political issue is how the police and justice system failed in its job to protect society from a sex offender...
http://www.examiner.com/x-833-San-Diego-News-Examiner~y2010m3d2-Psychiatrist-Gardner-would-be-a-continued-danger-to-underage-girls-in-the-community

*He was previously convicted for a lewd act on a child.

*He was evaluated by a psychiatrist at that time who stated "that Gardner 'takes no responsibility whatsoever for his actions' and recommended he 'be given the maximum sentence allowed by law.'

*Nevertheless, he was given a plea bargain that allowed him to serve only 5 years (when the maximum penalty was 30 years).

*Come on! We should take guys like this out back and shoot them. I seriously doubt that they are amenable to rehab...

Race shouldn't be an issue here... the guy who did this was white and, frankly, looks like a psychopathic thug. With the statistics on black abduction, I'd think that if you control for the crime rate of the surrounding community, the difference would disappear (i.e., I would expect a white child living in the same neighborhood as a black child to have a similar probability to have a violent act perpetuated against him or her). As another example, I'm sure that my chance of getting robbed or assaulted while strolling through Compton is equal to or greater than that of a random black guy walking through Compton.

Unfortunately, the police and justice system around here is more focused on enforcing traffic and parking violations, while constantly raising fines (low hanging fruit). Catching real criminals actually takes effort...

On the flip side, I'm about 6'0" 200 lbs and I'm a bit wary about going for runs/hikes alone in somewhat uninhabited locations... we've got to be careful... if I were a 100 lbs woman, I'd never jog alone! It's a sad reality, but a true one.

So black abductions are the fault of the community and white abductions are the fault of the police department and corrections system. Is that what that wall of text gets crunched down to?

[quote name='BigT']The biggest political issue is how the police and justice system failed in its job to protect society from a sex offender...
http://www.examiner.com/x-833-San-Diego-News-Examiner~y2010m3d2-Psychiatrist-Gardner-would-be-a-continued-danger-to-underage-girls-in-the-community

*He was previously convicted for a lewd act on a child.

*He was evaluated by a psychiatrist at that time who stated "that Gardner 'takes no responsibility whatsoever for his actions' and recommended he 'be given the maximum sentence allowed by law.'

*Nevertheless, he was given a plea bargain that allowed him to serve only 5 years (when the maximum penalty was 30 years).[/quote]

You neglect that his 2000 offense was his first offense. That's an important consideration, and one that is required in the context. It's easy to play armchair quarterback now, but in 2000 when you have a 19-year-old with a totally clean record, locking them up for 30 years doesn't sound like quite the no-brainer you're portraying it as.

Not to mention that folks are, thanks to plea bargaining, much more likely to be overloaded with charges so as to encourage the plea bargain itself - in other words, the structure of the court system and desire to reduce backlog have made it such that folks are charged with things we don't intend on prosecuting them with. Should that be fixed? I'd say it's an issue, and it has its upsides and downsides. I'm not enough of an expert to say it should go or not - I'd certainly like it to be used more diplomatically (e.g., overcharge in cases where the guilt of the person is crystal clear - far beyond the 'reasonable doubt' burden of proof standard.

*Come on! We should take guys like this out back and shoot them. I seriously doubt that they are amenable to rehab...

1) This is not how our justice system operates. This is not permissible, it is a violation of the US Constitution. You know that. We can't fault the court system for operating within the constraints of the law; we should applaud them for it, for better or worse.

2) There are plenty of opportunities to "correct" them in the law. California's budget is too strained as is, though, so individually-sculpted cognitive-behaviorial treatment isn't as widespread as it should be. But Chemical Castration is perfectly legal as a sentencing option in CA - has been for around a decade and a half.

Race shouldn't be an issue here... the guy who did this was white and, frankly, looks like a psychopathic thug.

Race is an issue because the media misrepresents cases of hot young white girls who are the subjects of abductions/kidnappings. It's the racial profiling the media uses where young black girls - the ones most likely to be kidnapped - are not given coverage, are not given hype, are not given screaming heads like Nancy Grace who have no idea what "justice" is. It's not something you get to decide is relevant when you want to (your prior racist screeds about your disdain for Mexicans/Latinos in SoCal) and then wave off as moot because you decide you don't *want* it to be relevant.

How many abductions get police helicopters searching for them? As many as make the headlines of CNN, that's how many - so you end up with differential police attention that's the fault of the media barrage and not the police.

With the statistics on black abduction, I'd think that if you control for the crime rate of the surrounding community, the difference would disappear (i.e., I would expect a white child living in the same neighborhood as a black child to have a similar probability to have a violent act perpetuated against him or her).

This falsely assumes all crimes are concentrated in the same spatial locations - that's not really the case w/ kidnappings. Kids are taken from all kinds of places; parks, their homes, just outside their homes. Since the folks who *do* abduct are not the same kind of criminal you'll find dealing in the inner city, it necessarily follows that you can't think of crime as all clustered in the same areas. Unless you want to fall prey to the racist fallacy that crime is a "black problem." And, since you're equating black neighborhoods with high-crime neighborhoods and dragging that to assume it makes abductions more likely *in those neighborhoods* (in short, being around crime exposes black children to greater abduction vicitimization opportunities), it's safe to say that you do indeed fall prey to that fallacy.

As another example, I'm sure that my chance of getting robbed or assaulted while strolling through Compton is equal to or greater than that of a random black guy walking through Compton.

You make the mistake of thinking that everyone in a given neighborhood stands an equal chance of getting shot. Which isn't true.

People who get shot:
1) clumsy buyers
2) buyers who try to rip off dealers
3) gang members (lots of contingencies here)
4) people who talk shit
5) those people who get hit with strays because #1-4 is happening nearby

Your probability of being shot in Compton, or any neighborhood save for a *select* few, is equal to any neighborhood, really. Unless you're trying to scam your dopeman.

Unfortunately, the police and justice system around here is more focused on enforcing traffic and parking violations, while constantly raising fines (low hanging fruit). Catching real criminals actually takes effort...

Hmm. I always wondered if people studied this aspect of broken windows (i.e., if policing to 'maintain order' led to a backlash that police were focusing on minor offenses and not *ahem* "real crime"). Dr. H, you got somethin' to add here?

On the flip side, I'm about 6'0" 200 lbs and I'm a bit wary about going for runs/hikes alone in somewhat uninhabited locations... we've got to be careful... if I were a 100 lbs woman, I'd never jog alone! It's a sad reality, but a true one.

Not at all - being cautious/protective is important (though, say, not to the point that you wouldn't want to leave your house). For all I say, I'm not so naive as to think folks don't stand a chance of being victimized, right? I just think folks overestimate their chances in some place and not others. Anecdotally (I know, I know), I lived in a very impoverished neighborhood for two years. Dug it, dug my neighbors; we moved away after the second murder on our block (and I was reluctant to do so even then). The idea was this: those who were shot were not simply random victims of a shooting, they tried to fuck with the dealers on the block. We? We were safe, and had been for two years. On the other hand, the only two times in my life I've had guns jammed in my face we were not just in the 'Burbs, but the upper-middle-class-near-the-private-Catholic-school-white-folks 'Burbs.

[quote name='mykevermin']they're abduction victims, dude. how is that relevant?

more to the point, we're talking about kids under 13.

where do you get off bringing criminality into it because it's more likely to happen to black kids?[/QUOTE]

Because criminality is relevant when examining murder victims, especially with regard to young black males.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Because criminality is relevant when examining murder victims, especially with regard to young black males.[/QUOTE]

What did you find when searching for Chelsea King's criminal history?

[quote name='mykevermin']What did you find when searching for Chelsea King's criminal history?[/QUOTE]

That she was a lesser known Manson girl and the second shooter on the grassy knowl.

[quote name='depascal22']So black abductions are the fault of the community and white abductions are the fault of the police department and corrections system. Is that what that wall of text gets crunched down to?[/QUOTE]

If you want to go ahead and proceed with your straw man argument, then yes.

If you strive for accuracy, then let me clarify:
* Some communities are more dangerous than others for multiple reasons (e.g., poverty, presence of gangs, lack of police presence, etc.) Despite what others may argue, I think that living in a city like Irvine, CA where there's ~1 murder per year (200K population) would make one safer than in Compton, CA where there are ~80 murders per year (100K population)... Just by simply probability one would be safer.

* I never said that black abductions are not the result of a failure of the police and corrections systems (these are one piece of the equation for sure).

bread's done
Back