VGA boxes for PAL 480i PS2 games

jezebelseven

CAGiversary!
I realize there's been a lot of VGA threads here on CAG but all the ones I've looked through don't cover the bases of what I need. And I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place-- Wasn't sure if it should go here, other deals, ps2 forum, off topic...

I've got a chipped ps2 and a few PAL games (Singstar 80s and Singstar Rocks) which only run on 50hz, versus the 60 of NTSC. My fiance, who resides in the UK, will be bringing a lot of his PAL games with him when he moves here, as well, so this is really the main reason we're in the market.

I'm not sure what I need to do this. I've been told the best option I've got is a VGA box, hook that up to my monitor, and go that way.

I only have the standard red/white/yellow RCA cords for the ps2, so while I could also order some component cables, it's an additional cost I'd rather avoid unless the only option I have needs them. I also have a xbox 360 that on a very rare occasion might get hooked up through it if possible. Dead rising's text issue, things like that, but this is not a main use for it. All this aside, I can't seem to find a VGA box that meets my needs.

From the research I've been doing today, the ones I've come across are:
Logic 3 VGA Box
Startech GameJockey
x2vga
VD-Z3

The reviews on the first two are mostly shit. Apparently most cheaper models have major issues with audio static, which a little I could handle, but seeing as the games I'm actually doing this for are games based entirely on audio, it seems a bit stupid to get something with notoriously awful audio problems. Video quality isn't a huge concern. As long as it isn't rolling or totally fuzzy. HD isn't a concern for me at the moment.

The third one sounds like it could do what I need but the 480i support sounds pathetic (you can only see half the screen = no good in singstar). It also makes it sound like it's going to be impossible for me to find ANY VGA box that supports 480i. :(

I also had a look at the VD-Z3 which seems to suit everyone elses needs, but it appears it doesn't do 480i. So that doesn't seem like what I need either.

I've also stumbled across the Hori Upscan Converter but can't seem to find anything about 480i support or not, plus everywhere I look is sold out anyway.

Am I chasing an impossible dream by trying to do this, or am I just not looking at the right equipment? Do VGA boxes ever support 480i? I know theres some more costly things out there but I don't even know if they're the solution I need or not. I'd rather not pay $500 just to play a few PAL games, but if that's the only way, then at least I could know what I'm up against. Do I just need to look into having my fiance ship his (UK) TV here when he moves, instead? Would that even solve the problem? Do they make monitors with direct RCA jacks built in, would that solve it? Ideas? Help? :???:

[quote name='jezebelseven']I've also stumbled across the Hori Upscan Converter but can't seem to find anything about 480i support or not, plus everywhere I look is sold out anyway.

Am I chasing an impossible dream by trying to do this, or am I just not looking at the right equipment? Do VGA boxes ever support 480i? I know theres some more costly things out there but I don't even know if they're the solution I need or not. I'd rather not pay $500 just to play a few PAL games, but if that's the only way, then at least I could know what I'm up against. Do I just need to look into having my fiance ship his (UK) TV here when he moves, instead? Would that even solve the problem? Do they make monitors with direct RCA jacks built in, would that solve it? Ideas? Help? :???:[/quote] Yes, VGA boxes do support 480i. I happen to have the Hori Upscan Converter you speak of. Well, actually it's called the G-Combo+ VGA Upscan Converter, but from what I've read on the internets it's the exact same piece of equipment. Compare these pictures:

G-Combo+ VGA Upscan Converter
Hori Upscan Coverter 2

It looks like Hori just put its name on G-Combo's product, right? Anyway, this device supports 480i at both 60 Hz (NTSC) and 50 Hz (PAL). There is no 480p support, however, so you would have to play your progressive scan games in 480i. It's specifically designed for the PS2; it has the component cable built in, so you just plug it into your PS2's video out. You can also plug in s-video and composite cables, but I think the built-in component provides the best image quality.

I've only tested this thing with my DVD player through composite, so I have no idea how it looks with a PS2. Anyway, I'll sell it for $30 plus shipping if you're interested.

Sorry bout the bump, but do you guys suspect a normal wall DC Adapter would work for this as opposed to the USB Adapter? I picked one of these up a lil while ago at a thrift store for 5 bucks, just didn't have the adapter..

I've got the G-Combo+ VGA UpScan Converter.. If the normal same ampage and watts won't work where could I possibly get the correct adapter for it from?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back