VGA HD vs HD AV

soxfan4525

CAGiversary!
I recently purchased a Samsung 40'' LN-S4095D, and I am wondering what type of cables would produce a better picture. I own both the VGA HD cables and component HD AV cables (included with the premium). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I prefer VGA, it makes text easier to read and you get a slight higher resolution. Plus, DVDs will play at 1920x1080p instead of 640x480p (if you were using component) on your TV.

I'm still split on the cables. I really like the smoother picture of the VGA cables, but everything is a little blurred. I've heard that VGA uses 540p and upscales to 1080, but I'm not completely buying it. Either way, component=crisp and jaggy, vga=faded, but much smoother. Just my two cents.

[quote name='soxfan4525']I recently purchased a Samsung 40'' LN-S4095D, and I am wondering what type of cables would produce a better picture. I own both the VGA HD cables and component HD AV cables (included with the premium). Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
I previously owned the 46" model of that line and I definitely preferred the VGA - upscaled DVD looks really amazing; on par with even the mighty Oppo and Panasonic upscaling DVD players. The color washout issue some previously claimed with the VGA cable was a) somewhat corrected by Microsoft in a recent update and b) correctable in the first place by tweaking the service menu.

I agree I am running VGA on my Samsung DLP and I am much happier with it. My only grip is my TV does not let me run 1920x1080 through the VGA port, so I am running 1280x720 and it looks great. I think Samsungs have less of the color wash problem you traditioanlly hear about with the VGA cables.

[quote name='repetske']I'm still split on the cables. I really like the smoother picture of the VGA cables, but everything is a little blurred. I've heard that VGA uses 540p and upscales to 1080, but I'm not completely buying it. Either way, component=crisp and jaggy, vga=faded, but much smoother. Just my two cents.[/QUOTE]

You must be talking about 1080i which most people don't properly understand. Some people think that since its 1080i and not 1080p it means that it has half the lines of resolution, but it's actually full 1920*1080. The thing is that its interlaced.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']To the original poster, are you getting ANY lag at all with your Samsung 40" LCD?[/QUOTE]

so far i have not

OP, I have that exact same TV. I'm running component at 720p and it looks good. I use my vga cables to run 720p over my projector as well (Panasonic AE900). The VGA is *slightly* cleaner looking. No lag on the tv, or on the projector for that matter.

[quote name='mofo1115']You must be talking about 1080i which most people don't properly understand. Some people think that since its 1080i and not 1080p it means that it has half the lines of resolution, but it's actually full 1920*1080. The thing is that its interlaced.[/QUOTE]

Technically 1080i would only be 1920x540 since it's interlaced. It just constantly switches between which 540 horizontal lines it shows.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Technically 1080i would only be 1920x540 since it's interlaced. It just constantly switches between which 540 horizontal lines it shows.[/QUOTE]

I know there is a long wish list of resolutions for the 360 to support, but I wish they would add the 1920x540 so I could get 1080i out of my VGA cables. Of course then there is the whole other debate of what looks better 720p or 1080i. Dammit man, why do we have to have so many resolution chocies? ;)

[quote name='jimbodan']Since you said you own both cables why not just try each one and use whichever looks best to you?[/QUOTE]

I tried both, and although the vga game produced better colors the image seemed blurrier than when I used the HD AV cables.

bread's done
Back